IMDb > "Throb" (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Throb" More at IMDbPro »

A Decent Syndicated Show!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
13 October 2006

I remember this show being on Saturday evenings back in the 1980s. That was when syndicated television shows like Throb and Mama's Family aired when it didn't succeed on prime time. Anyhow, Throb was alright. It wasn't bad. The writing was decent and so was the acting of Diana Canova. I swear that Jane Leeves from Frasier was on this show but I could be wrong because I don't see her name anywhere here. Like so many sitcoms of the 1980s, this show was somewhat mediocre for network but had a syndicated audience. I remember those days of syndication when you watched independent sitcoms like Throb and not infomercials. Sadly, they don't make many syndicated programs like they used too. Everybody has a network for them. But I do remember a time when syndicated television thrived and shows like Throb thrived or lasted longer than a few episodes. Sitcoms need time to develop and the networks don't give that time anymore and they don't want that audience neither.

A Newly Single Mom At A New Record Company

Author: sschwart from Deep in the Heart of Texas
28 December 2000

This syndicated show followed the ups and downs of a new single mom played by Diana Canova (of the short-lived "I'm A Big Girl Now" TV series) as an employee of a small fledgling record company. She juggles life as a divorcee while juggling responsibilities at her new job at a small record company.

If you can ever get a chance to view an episode of this mid-eighties series, you can see an improbably young Jane Leeves (fresh from her stint as a "Benny Hill Show" Girl) as "Blue," the de rigueur British import.

The big hairstyles, 80's wardrobes and '80s music would probably make this series seem even more dated now, but not quite seem old enough to be a classic.

It was partly a poorer-man's "W.K.R.P in Cincinnati" mixed with a less-ambitious "Mary Tyler Moore" but wasn't much worse than other 80's syndicated shows. No ground was broken here as the plots were as formulaic as they were predictable, but it had a certain scrappiness.

Day in the life of a small record label

Author: nsdtrlover from Canada
27 September 2006

A bright and refreshing comedy. First network then syndicated. It took a look at the day to day of a small record label in a big world. The show was a starring vehicle for Diana Canova. She had previously come to public attention on "SOAP". Her character was a divorced mother with no experience in the music world who gets a job at a small record label and runs with it. Comparisons can always be made to "WKRP In Cincinnati" or any "That Girl" clone, but it still had a freshness of its' own. Well acted and with great sound. The theme was performed by The Nylons and Diana Canova. It always entertained and will be missed. Reruns anyone ???