IMDb > "Silverhawks" (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Silverhawks"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Silverhawks" More at IMDbPro »

*** out of 4 stars a visually stylish and good-old fashioned piece of science fiction.

Author: PJS-5 from Florida
13 October 2000

Summary:A small group of individuals assigned to become a new crime-stopping fighting force. The only catch is that they must become cyborgs but apparently it didn't bother them. Yes it is another superhero squad show. What do you expect? This is a known case of 80's animation.

Review:Utter Garbage? The nadir of 80's animation? I don't think so.

This is old fashioned campy sci-fi this isn't kubrick's 2001. Sure even when you consider the material this isn't exactly the pinnacle of its kind. But it was a good show nevertheless.

Actually the animation of the show is better than most shows of its time. And it does have some of that cheeky campy humor charm that shows like these have. So it may not be cerebral but just because it isn't philosophical doesn't make it "dumb". Sure if you're the type that makes a big fuss over things like "Cliches" or things like that then don't bother. If you are a 80's animation fan like me then do see it. Sure it isn't the absolute best in 80's animation but it is quite far from the worst.

One of my favourite 80's cartoons.

Author: André Weidemann from Ilmenau, Germany
15 March 2004

It's been some time since I've been able to watch this on TV. But I can still remember the theme song and the cool looks of all the characters.

If I take a look at todays Cartoon Network program, I wonder how this garbage came on in the first place. Besides Scooby Doo there's nothing of the old shows running and the new one's, I think, are really bad.

If they'd bring cartoons like the Silverhawks back on TV, I'm convinced the kids would devour them the same way I did. They are animated nicely, the music is great and even though the story appears a bit weak to me now that I'm "old", it is still a great show.

Great Show

Author: Leo_Stryke
11 August 2003

I loved this show growing up and it still holds fond memories in my heart. It does require a bit of a suspension of disbelief ( but what 80's kid show didn't? ). The characters were cool, Mon-star had an interesting design for sure. I'd love to see this series on DVD as well as the other 2 Rankin Bass classics : Thundercats and Tigersharks.

Good times, good times.

Pretty good Sci-Fi

Author: grabulac from Hollywood
17 April 2001

This Thundercats-ish cartoon takes that show's style to space. Although it has decent heroes, the villains are the draw in this one. This would be great for a big budget live action film, considering it has more style than substance going for it. Still, the villains are original enough and the clashes between them and the bird-theme-armored heroes exciting enough to make this a better-than-average entry.

The most underrated cartoon of the 80s

Author: phoenix2rachelsummers from Florida, USA
10 August 2005

Okay, first the little matter that the producers of "Thundercats" ripped off their own show by doing a space opera version called "Silverhawks" - I grew up outside the States, in Ecuador, and "Silverhawks" was actually shown there before "Thundercats!" So I've never had that issue.

And why can't "Silverhawks" simply be judged on its own merits? The science may have been wildly inaccurate, but that's why it's called Science FICTION!! Just shut your mind off and enjoy. I certainly had no problem doing it, with all the brightly colored characters against backgrounds of futuristic buildings and machines and black skies with shimmering stars.

Most of all, "Silverhawks" had GREAT villains. Their leader, Monstar, may have been a Mumm-Ra ripoff, but I think his ritual transformation was way creepier than Mumm-Ra's. Instead of getting all muscular and bursting out of a cloak and bandages, Monstar would burst out of his own SKIN, and come out looking like some kind of cyborg-demon! And Monstar's underlings were a memorable bunch: his ridiculously obedient sidekick, a chimp/snake named Yes-Man; Hardware, the troll with a backpack full of gadgets; Windjammer, with his long blonde hair and gaunt face and weather-control staff; Mumbo-Jumbo, a minotaur on steroids; Buzzsaw, a robot with built-in blades; Molecular, the shape shifter; Pokerface, the lounge lizard/walking slot machine; Time-Stopper, a teenage brat with a clock on his chest which could manipulate time; Melodia, the Queen of Rock with a (literally) killer guitar.

That was something else special about Silverhawks: the villains were so much cooler than the smug, boring heroes. Even though they always lost in the end, it was almost subversive that a cartoon could have young viewers (or, at least this young viewer) rooting for the villains. It was very cathartic, a healthy way of embracing one's dark side without doing other people harm.

Silverhawks was a great show, it deserves much more respect than it gets. I'm hoping this might be remedied during its 20th anniversary in 2006.

This is a good show

Author: raoh73 from United States
23 October 2006

I'm a big kid. I am a big anime fan and an 80's fan, and I remember this show growing up. This was a good show just to sit back and simply be entertained by. I still get a laugh out of watching this and just seeing how far that animation has come. People can say that this was a blatant rip-off of ThunderCats, but it was done by the same studio and it worked once right? The characters were likable, the dialog was cheesy but as someone else said before, it's just a cartoon. I was pleased to learn that the show had finally made it's way to DVD. It's about time, too, now that Voltron has finally made it. For all of the show's flaws, it's still good just to sit back and turn off the thought process and just be entertained by it. The origin of the show was very well put together and the first two episodes set the rest of the series up well. I just enjoyed this show as a kid and I still enjoy it today.

Bring it Back!!!!

Author: lramlu1 from United States
21 May 2006

Silverhawks was a very good show! I enjoyed every time I watched it with my family. I hope they bring them back, only new and improved. I think they should make a movie of it with real actors; just like they did with fantastic 4 and the X-men. I want my kids to watch Silverhawks too. Every time I talk to them about it, the say they want to watch it. There are three more shows I enjoyed, Thundercats and Mazinger and last but not least, Ultraman. Nothing better than the old cartoons and TV shows. I think we should do something about it, but where to start. Thank you for reading this comment, I know you agree. Sometimes at work, my co-workers an I begin talking about the old shows and cartoons, and we talk about Silverhawks, Thundercats, Ultraman etc, etc, etc. We always agree on the same thing. We (the parents) have the right to live a little too, don't you think. Everybody has their favorite, but I know we all miss them.

A great underrated show

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
9 March 2013

I remembered loving Silverhawks when I was a child. At 20, I still love the show. True, the heroes are not always well drawn and there is some cheesy writing, but aside from that it is a great underrated show that doesn't deserve the flack it's gotten. Thundercats to me is the superior show, but Silverhawks I do not consider a rip-off at all, there is a difference between being a rip-off and having something that is conceptually similar and from the same company of which Silverhawks falls into the latter category. The animation is detailed and vividly atmospheric. What's more it does still hold up. The scoring matches the mood of each scene and episode with no problem at all, and the theme song is one of the coolest of any animated show from the 80s. The writing has some cheesy moments, but there is a campy charm and fun and thoughtful moments that is difficult to resist. The story lines are engrossing and well-thought out with some exciting action and heartfelt emotion. Say what you will about Silverhawks having bad science, but people are always going to say that Silverhawks has never tried to be a science-fiction documentary but a piece of escapism and should be seen as that, and actually I do have to agree. I know I have often complained of bad science in the Sci-Fi/SyFy channel movies, but unlike with Silverhawks these were stupid scientific errors that didn't hold water for a second and the movies on their own terms were not entertaining and had no excuse to not be. The characters are good, Tallyhawk is the best characters of the heroes, who are likable at least but not as well-sketched, but the heroes are outshone by the villains, who are interesting and wholly original. The voice acting is great, especially from Earl Hammond and Peter Newman. Summing up, a great show and very underrated and misjudged in my personal opinion. 9/10 Bethany Cox

Love It

Author: lindamcculley from United States
29 November 2005

Silverhawks, essentially, is a 1940's Chicago cop show set in outter space. The evil criminal Mon*star and his gang of thugs has escaped from prison, and must be stopped. Unfortunately, he's on the other side of the galaxy, and no human could survive the journey to get there. So, a team of heroes volunteer to be transformed into cyborgs, partly metal, partly real, that can withstand the rigors of the journey. Once there, they set up headquarters and police the sector. Voiced by many of the same voice actors of Thundercats, it featured some of the most interesting character designs of the decade. THEY SHOULD MAKE A MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Education and Morals

Author: Chris Estes from Georgia
23 September 2005

I remember being an eight year old boy sitting in front of the tele watching the Silverhawks. Man, what a great cartoon. There were its flaws. I'm not sure why a commander and a lieutenant outranked a captain (must be some sort of Limbo galaxy military ranking thing). I'm not sure how a Steelheart survived with a metal heart. I'm not sure how the Silverhawks breathed in space. But I don't care. It was fantasy. It was fiction. And there was always a basic 'good prevails over evil' trend. Plus, the Copper Kidd thing at the end was very educational. This is far better than the crap that comes on the tele now. There are cartoons on now that I wouldn't dare let my children watch. And I don't mean adult cartoons like "Family Guy" or "South Park" or "Aqua Teen". I mean children's cartoons that come on children's networks. Is the Silverhawks cheesy? Of course it is...it was the 80's. Everything was cheesy. But in the end, the morals were pure and the message was good. That's what makes it great. 10/10