IMDb > "Our House" (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Our House" More at IMDbPro »

An interesting series thanks to Wilford Brimley.

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
7 June 2001

This series about a widow who moves into her father in laws house along with her children ran for three seasons and actually was a pretty good show. It was Wilford Brimley however who really made it what it was. The episodes were generally tame but always had a moral and lesson to be learned.

a great family show that never got a fair deal

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
14 October 2001

I first saw Wilford Brimley in Abscense Of Malice. He was the crusty, old fashioned justice department lawyer who set Paul Newman and Sally Field straight in the end. He also played a bad guy in Act Of Vengeance.

I think this show was his best work because the character was written just for him, a lovable old curmudgeon with his heart on his sleeve. Deidre Hall is a beautiful woman and a great actress. She was wonderful as the stern, strict, but loving mother on this show. What I liked is that every episode had a moral or a lesson to it. My family and I used to watch this every Sunday. The first season was great, but for some reason every episode on the second season got dumber and dumber and then it was cancelled. I think they should have gotten some better writers because this was a show that I think was worth saving.

Short-lived drama left a lasting memory

Author: sapphiresky from United States
5 May 2011

I watched this show as a little girl and it brings back many sweet memories. My little sister and I used to roll play the episodes, because our parents were strict about what we watched, so this show was special to us. We saw very little TV that wasn't news or cartoons, and it was magical for us. We loved Diedre Hall and Shannon Doherty the most, and the little girl who played Molly. We had a major crush on the boy who played the son, lol. I wish it would have had airtime longer than it did. Happy to see from reviews that other people saw the good in this short-lived series. It probably will never come out on DVD, on account of it's short life, but I will always remember it. One episode that really effected me was the one in which David was injured on his bike. I remember thinking the character might die. The earth quake episode was equally effecting. ANd who wouldn't love Wilfred Brimly? He was awesome in Our House. I think it helped his oatmeal commercials gain popularity. :)

Great!

Author: wolfpjw from United States
19 October 2009

This is a very good show! I'm disappointed that it was not given a chance! I love Wilford Brimley. He is a great actor! In fact Robert Duvall is the one who helped Brimley get into acting. We need more good family shows like this one. Is "Our House" on DVD yet?; I want others to get a chance to see this show, and all of us fans to have it in our home Library. The whole cast is full of great talent, and Brimley has been in all different kinds of movies, and plays all kinds of parts. A few examples are " The Stone Boy ", " End Of The Line ", " Tender Mercies ", " The Thing ", " The China Syndrome ", " Caccoon " 1 and 2,and " A Place To Grow ".

Another show from the 80's that didn't get enough respect

Author: darthmetalhead1 from United States
20 August 2007

I agree..I thought this was Dr. Quinn in the late 80's :) This show did not get enough credit and I wish I knew someone that had these episodes taped on video tape so I could have a copy of these episodes. If anyone out there has a copy of these episodes please let me know. Again seeing Wilford Brimley and Deidre Hall before she got the role on Day's of Our lives was another great reason to watch the show. This was another show in the 80's that helped me grow up. Can anyone tell what the real reason for why the show got cancelled. BTW, Out of this World, Second Chance, Starman and War of the Worlds the series were among other great series that never got off the ground :(

Alex