IMDb > "The Oprah Winfrey Show" (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Oprah Winfrey Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Oprah Winfrey Show" More at IMDbPro »

An Original Show in an Era of Talk Show Trash

Author: merrywhether from Philadelphia
31 January 2002

Let's look at our talk show options: Jerry Springer, Riki Lake, and Jenny Jones. In an age were lover's quarrels and paternity tests are dominating daytime talk, Oprah Winfrey takes the high road by promoting books, self-help, and education. Granted, quite a few of the Oprah books are graphic and involve abuse, and sometimes her therapist of-the-month gets a bit too preachy. But Oprah generally wants to help society by presenting all sides of controversial issues and letting us decide. It is clear Oprah values liberty and freedom, and has done several shows on human rights abuses in other countries. I applaud her efforts. This show gets an 8 out of 10.

A Positive Force In Televison

Author: GazPac from Milton Keynes, England
2 February 2003

I'm quite surprised by the number of negative comments here. By no means is The Oprah Winfrey Show perfect, but let's face it in this day and age with so much demeaning trashy crud on daytime TV, Oprah shines like a beacon. The Oprah show has had such an amazing effect on so many people's lives, and has provided information on so many varied topics in a concise, intelligent, positive manner we should be applauding her. Her post 9/11 shows were the perfect example of how TV should react to such devastating events. No scare mongering, but a forum for reaction and information in a loving, healing way.

Please cancel this crap...

Author: jbradshaw from North Carolina
13 January 2004

Oprah Winfrey.

Celebrities have a tendency to become wrapped up in their own world. Entertainment shows (Extra! for example), fashion magazines, and other mediums are the catalyst. Oprah is no exception. Oprah caters to the high brow soccer mom society whilst catering to the glamorous image that Hollywood tries to convey. The result is a putrid one hour mess of self glorification (who really cares about what books she likes?).

Oprah does not appeal to the common person.

If you want to watch a REAL talk show hosted by a REAL person with REAL feelings, tune into the Montel Williams show.

Oprah... just take your billions and marry Stedman. Go away.

Has there EVER been a more self-infatuated celebrity?

Author: (andrewwastie) from Melbourne, Australia
23 January 2003

Apart from the question posed in this summary, the other significant question here must be, "How has this drivel remained on air for 17 years?" Whilst quality shows have come and gone, this thinly disguised piece of self-ego-buffing has remained in tact. The shows generally fall into 3 categories:

The Celebrity piece. Oprah should take a look at real interviewers (eg. Michael Parkinson) to learn how to do these properly. Firstly, the viewer wants to hear from the guest - not the interviewer. I don't care if Oprah loved so-and-so's last movie or that Oprah thinks so-and-so is just gorgeous - just ask some questions! Oprah goes fishing for praise by going, "I think you're wonderful!" Inevitable reply: "Gee thanks Oprah, I think you're wonderful too...."

The Self-help show. I'm sorry, when did Oprah get a PhD in anything related to therapy?

The you-should-be-interested-in-this-because-I'm-Oprah show. Oprah was in A Color Purple. Who cares? Oprah was in a magazine. Who cares. Orah had a tough childhood. Who cares? Oprah went to a Celine Dion concert. Who cares? Oprah has a friend who has raised 6 boys. Who cares? Oprah's floor manager has suffered depression. Who cares? Oprah has dropped a dress size. Who cares? Oprah has gained a dress size. Who cares? Oprah is getting married to some guy. Who cares? Oprah isn't getting married after all. Who cares? Oprah had an egg salad for lunch and has made her gassy.......you get my drift.

However, just reviewing my own classification of this show, something has dawned on me.. If it ran just as a celebrity interview show, The Oprah Winfrey Show would be dreadful. If it was just a self-help show it would be dreadful. But in actual fact, these 2 heading are actually just SUB-heading to the third. The "You-should-be-interested-in-this-because-I'm-Oprah show" is REALLY what it's all about. And ya know what??

IT'S DREADFUL.

A remarkably influential show

Author: J. H. from Canada
26 August 2001

It's amazing media empire that Winfrey has built - including print, film, and television - starting from this show. While the quality has varied over the years, and some might not be a fan of the "touchy-feely" bent many of the shows have taken over the past few years, Oprah is a remarkably likeable, real, and charismatic figure. She has appealed to a wide audience, and has often chosen the hight road when making programming decisions. The show has definitely been a positive force in North America - the effect of "Oprah's Book Club" on book sales alone is proof of that - and hopefully will continue to be for years to come.

I don't get the thrill of this show

Author: london_173 from United States
4 August 2005

How anybody can like this show is beyond me. Her guests (with the exception of Dr. Phil, who is completely annoying) are whiny and her audience is full of middle-aged women who think she is somehow a queen of television. It's like they've been brainwashed.

She is not funny, she is dull and dry and she has no personality. I did watch her show when she managed to have good guests on (Paul McCartney, Elton John, Jane Seymour). The only problem was that she couldn't keep her big mouth shut long enough to let the guests talk.

My mother went to high school with her. She was rude even then. She refuses to have anything to do with the alumni of her class and she even let her father go bankrupt and he lost everything he had.

I thought she was about to give up her show. When is this going to happen? I'll be the first to say good-bye.

Fringe fan base enough to keep overrated gab fest on in afternoon.

Author: SanDiego from The Beach
5 April 2002

Once hyped for mainstream America, this overrated talk show has developed into a vanity piece for the host with its fan base described by some akin to a mindless religious cult and it's guests representing the ultra left fringe. She has built entire shows around her friends and co-workers who have nothing to offer except that they are friends or co-workers of Oprah. Other shows have centered on her film production interests, and self-titled magazine. Often political Oprah tends to give positive support pieces to liberal politicians and has gained some influence in return. Perhaps the most telling event is her snubbing of the President of the United States (and ultimate slap to those who have fought and died to bring peace to that region) when asked for her support to visit schools in Afghanistan and her subsequent `non-denial' denial: The White House said they were told she was `too busy,' Oprah denied this saying she was `Too busy.' (As it turned out she was asked not to assist the American effort by members of the Democratic National Committee who in return offered her a hosting post at a fund raiser.) Note to David Letterman: Don't lower your standards by wanting to be on the Oprah show, if so, what next? The Iowa pig report?

Opah Winfrey Show

Author: crunchii_conchii93 from Australia
27 October 2005

Oprah is such a wonderful lady, it doesn't matter that she has all the billions of dollars, she helps people with her money. To all the people who wish she wasn't on air, don't watch it when she is on.

I live in Australia and i have been watching Oprah with my mum since i was only a little girl. Oprah has been my choice to watch for ages. Christmas specials are the best! Seeing all the cool prizes that she gives away just blows me away! She is such a nice lady to do all the tings to help people. Like when the Tsunami Came she helped people in that, and when hurricane Katrina came she helped them also.

Also she has really cool guests on like, Gwen Stefani, Chris Rock etc. I will be watching Oprah for years to come!

She is & always will be da' bomb!

Author: dgordon-1 from Toronto, Canada
31 March 2003

I started watching "Oprah" back in 1987 about a year after her talk show went national. At the time, her show was set up like Phil Donahue's, where she would have different topics, and go out into the audience to get their opinions on whatever the topic was. Her subjects ranged from weight loss to racial disharmony in America and everything in between. Whatever the subject, I always looked forward to tuning into her show. It offered thought provoking subjects, and was always entertaining to watch. Whether she was pleasantly plump or skinny, she was always "large & in charge" in my books! Oprah has always had a style about her that has not been matched by any other talk show hosts, back then and now. Her show changed in the mid '90s to be more of a hybrid of the classic talk shows like "The Dinah Shore Show", and "Merv Griffin", but with the flare of Oprah thrown in for good measure. At the time, there were something like 14 other talk shows with the "Phil Donahue format", so I don't blame her for wanting to change the direction of her show. I remember Oprah stating in an interview that she wanted to get away from the sensationalism of the other talk shows and offer something truly unique and inspiring. In true Oprah fashion, she pulled it off and has not suffered from a loss in ratings like what was predicted. Another point that makes Oprah stand out from the rest of the pack is her undying generosity. She was instrumental in starting up "Habitat for Humanity", and is involved with many other charities. Along with this, she helps writers to get their work known to the public by choosing them for Oprah's Book Club & she will do special things for her audience like invite them back for her Christmas special where they get lots of good stuff! In conclusion, I have always admired Oprah Winfrey, not only for what she has done for herself, but how she helps other people achieve their hopes and dreams as well. Whether she is on her talk show or in a movie, Oprah has won an emmy & academy award in my heart a long time ago!

What you see is what you get...

Author: charity-18 from United States
1 September 2006

It's funny how someone can do so many amazing things for so many people and yet can still be viewed so negatively. The things we hate about others say a lot about what kind of people we are.

You hate Oprah because she always makes the show all about her? How do people view you? Do you really listen to people around you or do you always make the conversation about you? Do you feel you are surrounded by people who don't really hear what YOU have to say?

Nine times out of ten the more fame or fortune a person has the more they contribute to society. You may hate her show because it's not your cup-of-tea, but if you hate Oprah as a person you may want to ask yourself what you do to contribute. Do you actually seek out areas in which you can make contributions? Or does belittling someone who is a better person than you just make you feel better about yourself?

What would you do if you had her net worth or fame? Your net worth is measured by your life's contributions. If you always feel broke or even live pay-check to pay-check you may want to re-evaluate your ego.

Doesn't it get tiring thinking about all the bad things in life? What a waste of time! I could think of a million things I'd rather be doing with my time than gossiping about others.