IMDb > "My Sister Sam" (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"My Sister Sam" More at IMDbPro »

Faded fast

Author: Jagger1966 from United States
27 March 2006

This is a prime example of a show that started out strong and then plummeted in the ratings. It was a big hit in its first season airing on Monday nights and was a top twenty show. The second season CBS moved it to Saturday nights where it dropped to something like number 88 in the ratings. I can't help but wonder what would have happened had it stayed on Mondays. Pam Dawber and Rebecca Schaeffer worked so well together you forgot that the two actresses weren't sisters in real life. And yes, Rebecca died a year after the show was cancelled, it wasn't cancelled because of her death. I wish this show would be released on DVD.

Dawber at her sweetest

Author: wgunnelsiii from United States
25 October 2007

Both Mindy and Samantha really were as nice as Shirley Feeney should have been--and certainly as pretty as Shirley. Miss Dawber is unforgettable, reportedly as nice in real life as on both shows. It was nice to see her without Robin Williams' antics (no offense to a great comedian, but they did get a little distracting).

What I really can't forget, a perfect warm-up for her charms, is the theme song, "Room Enough for Two." It was as warmhearted as the WELCOME BACK, KOTTER theme song--this time with a sweet show to match. I haven't heard anyone sing this song since SAM, but the words were among TV's sweetest.

Good show, canceled too soon

Author: mdcheek from United States
30 November 2006

This was a great series starring Pam Dawber ("Mork & Mindy") as a San Francisco photographer whose life was turned upside down when her teenage sister Patti (Rebecca Schaeffer) came to live with her. Samantha (Dawber) never really knew whether to treat Patti as a friend, sister, or child, and sometimes, she treated her as all three.

The series premiered in 1986, and after mild success on Monday nights, CBS tampered with its schedule and moved it to Saturday nights opposite NBC's successful comedy lineup. Unable to find the show, its audience dwindled to one of the lowest on network TV, and CBS canceled it in mid-1988, after only half of the second season had aired.

A little over a year later (July 1989 to be exact) Schaeffer, then a promising movie star ("Scenes from the Class Struggle In Beverly Hills") was shot and killed in her Los Angeles home by a deranged fan who had idolized her as the young, energetic character she played on "My Sister Sam." Contrary to popular belief, "My Sister Sam" left the air 15 months BEFORE Schaeffer was murdered. Not long thereafter, USA Network picked up syndication rights to the series, eventually running all 44 episodes (including those never shown on CBS).

The show's writing was crisp, sharp and witty, and the acting, especially that of the young, never-before-seen Schaeffer, was top notch. Years later, the WB sitcom "What I Like About You" (2002-2006) re-introduced the premise with some success, but did not match the promise of its earlier sitcom cousin.

It would be a joy to see this show again on DVD.

The Show was Cut Too Short!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
26 August 2007

The premise with Pam Dawber, Samantha Russell, as a successful San Francisco photographer who is reunited with her younger sister, Patti Russell, played by the late Rebecca Schaeffer. Supporting cast members include the wonderful Jenny O'Hara as Dixie, Sam's assistant, and Joel Brooks. David Naughton as a friend and neighbor. The show only lasted two seasons on network television but I bet it could have done well in syndication if given the opportunity. The sadness comes when you realize that Schaeffer was killed by a deranged fan. The case was prosecuted by Marcia Clark. Sadly, the show never really peaked or risen to the occasion. It came across in the midst of a sitcom frenzy on television in the era of the sitcoms. The premise may have been light but the show worked for the time it was on television. The cast was first rate and the writing was second rate but the show always tried harder to succeed.

Good show

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
27 July 2006

I used to watch this show when I was a little girl. Although I don't remember much about it, I must say that it was a pretty good show. Also, I don't think I've seen every episode. However, if you ask me, it was still a good show. If you ask me, everyone was ideally cast. In addition, the costume design was great. The performances were top-grade, too. I just hope some network brings this series back one day so that I'll be able to see every episode. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I don't think I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, when and if this show is ever brought back on the air, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.

It Was Cancelled A Year Before She Died!

Author: christopher_greenleaf from Boston, Ma
9 May 2005

Rebecca Schaeffer was certainly an attractive and fast rising young actress in Hollywood. Her career may have reached new heights had she lived beyond the age of 21. Her tragic death resulted in new laws which guarded personal privacy, and safety. However, the sitcom she was featured in was hardly memorable.

The show was fairly mediocre and lasted a little over a season when it was canceled.

The show is now remembered for the fact one of it's stars was murdered by a lunatic. People should get their information straight before posting.

The show was not canceled due to the death of the actress, It was canceled due to poor ratings a year before she died.