IMDb > "It's Garry Shandling's Show." (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"It's Garry Shandling's Show."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Where are the reruns??

Author: awyeahboy from Burbank, CA
24 April 2000

Talk about an undiscovered treasure from sitcoms past!

This show's lifespan was entirely too brief. Only Showtime was smart enough to give it the initial start. And only FOX was adventurous enough to bring it to a larger audience.

A smartly written show that perhaps TV Land or Comedy Central would know what to do with (Nevermind Nick @ Nite, they're too busy shoving "The Jeffersons" down everyone's throat). ...And what about home video? Personally, I wouldn't mind having the uncut versions in my library. Columbia House, take note!

A work of genius.

Author: DM-19 from England
29 January 2000

A show that inspires me to this day. While I didn't see it when it first aired at my house we have the wonder that is cable and the reruns of this show make my evening.

The format for the show is unlike any other I've seen and while the plots may not be original Garry (and cast) sparkle with true wit and class. Not many shows make me laugh out loud, but this one has me in tears. I urge absolutely everyone to watch it.

top notch

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
17 March 2001

This show was always a delight to watch. From the hilarious theme song til the end of the show, the episodes were always first rate and very funny. I loved it, and looked forward to each show, even when it was a repeat. It was that good!

For anyone who thinks there can't be a good or original sitcom, give this one a try. You'll love it!

Highly Entertaining

Author: Hotoil
25 May 2001

While not quite up to the quality of Shandling's later hit, "The Larry Sanders Show", this was also a very entertaining parody of television conventions. Shandling knew how to have fun with the idea of series television and this show never took itself too serious on the outside, but you could tell a lot of thought went into it behind the scenes. A unique blend of talk-show, sitcom & satire.

Breaking the third wall

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
11 August 2005

This very original comedy,which originated on Showtime,then relocated to Fox,was a joy to watch. Garry Shandling may not be everybody's cup of tea(then again,who is?),but to those who enjoyed his neurotic,self-effacing yet vain and confused humor will find this show a joy to watch.

It simply was a show that surrounded the "life" of Mr.Shandling,his inability to keep a relationship with a woman(perfect for episode TV),his duplex neighbors,the platonic friend who was once his girlfriend. And while it seemed to conduct this business in the ordinary type of TV studio,a la every other sitcom that has taped live in front of a studio audience,this show had one distinguishing trait:the third wall or the viewer was frequently referenced and addresses,to the point that the audience,both in the studio and at home,were a part of the show! Even the show's theme song was inspired--simple and direct("This is the theme to GArry's show/the theme to Garry's show/Garry called me up and asked if I'd write this theme for him/...)!

I realize that it was Mr.Shandling's later project,"The LArry Sanders Show" is more the critically darling of the two shows Garry has so far done,and while I was overall quite pleased with "LArry Sanders",this show I watched more loyally and still remember fondly. Can anyone tell me if this show has made it to DVD yet?

DVD release scheduled Oct 9, 2009

Author: ted-tedford from United Kingdom
20 August 2009

I've just found out that the complete four seasons will be released on DVD on October 9, 2009. You can pre-order on amazon.com but not on amazon.co.uk. This news made my day. I can't say how much I love this show.

I remember watching this in the mid-80s when it was on UK TV. It was genuinely funny, warm, and innovative, even if Garry's teeth and hair were a little unusual for UK TV. A few full episodes were briefly on youtube a couple of years ago, but now they're gone. The only other time I've found it was when I spent a snowy afternoon in the Museum of TV and Radio in NY and you get to watch a couple of hours of video of anything in their archives. It was great - I watched four episodes back to back, and was transported. Worth the ?$10 admission.

Great Show

Author: Jonathan Pinto from United States
5 February 2007

I hope that this series will be released on DVD soon. The show was just down-right clever and, in my opinion, never got old. I caught the show on Showtime a couple of times, but since I didn't get cable, it wasn't until the show started airing on FOX that I would watch it all the time. Does anyone remember the show where Garry is touring the set and comes across the 2-D people? I about lost it when I saw that episode. Also, the live election show was pretty interesting as well. There are so many shows that need released on DVD, and this is one of them. Why studios release shows that are still shown on TV, in syndication, is beyond me.

Why is this not on DVD?

Author: picti007
19 January 2007

I watched this in Britain in the late eighties/early nineties, and though it was relegated to the graveyard slot on a minor channel it still has a mass fan base who would love to buy it on DVD, even Region 1. But there's no sign of it being released! Why is this? If anyone associated with the relevant network reads this please consider releasing it. You may find that very soon someone will 'borrow' the idea, have a massive success with it, and the new version will be considered more successful, and the show will simply be relegated to history. The time is ripe for a Garry Shandling revival! Who's with me!!