Edge of Darkness (TV Mini-Series 1985) Poster

TV Drama simply dosen't get any better than this.
Tom May9 April 2000
UK TV Drama has never again scaled the heights set by Edge of Darkness and Dennis Potter's "The Singing Detective" in the mid-1980s. Those two series have narratives, dialogue, style and acting that few filmmakers can match.

Troy Kennedy Martin came up with a complex, magnificent script, that balanced the bleak with the entertaining. All of the major characters come across as believable, and often enigmatic.

The plot evolves ingeniously from being a local murder case to a universal ecological parable throughout the 6 episodes. It defies categorisation, combining lyricism with tense action sequences. The "Northmoor" episode is as tense an hour of TV as there's ever been. Joe Don Baker gives a virtuoso performance as the truly larger-than-life maverick CIA agent, Darius Jedburgh whose motives are ambiguous to say the least. Charles Kay and Ian McNeice are wonderfully entertaining as Pendelton and Harcourt. Even Tim McInnerny's character with just a few minutes screen time is superbly written and played. It is, however, Bob Peck who should receive the most acclaim for what is to my mind one of the most complex, emotional and well-judged performances ever as Yorkshire policeman, Ronnie Craven. Craven gets caught up in a sinister and fascinating chain of events involving the death of his environmentalist daughter, played very well by Joanne Whalley-Kilmer. Bob Peck's early death was saddening- he deserved another role of this magnitude. Other factors that add to the genius of EoD are the atmospheric Eric Clapton/Michael Kamen score, the gritty direction, photography and the sheer attention to detail in every department.

It's truly a shame that few people today working on TV drama are willing at least to try to experiment and create television as artistic and exciting as "Edge of Darkness." It should go without saying that anyone who's not seen it should buy the video- you won't regret it. Rating:- ****** (out of *****)
61 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Television drama's finest five hours.
mpk-27 July 2003
Produced at the height of the nuclear paranoia and economic gloom that drove the Britain of Margaret Thatcher and the USA of Ronald Reagan, Troy Kennedy Martin's landmark drama broke new ground and handled uncomfortable subjects with sometimes unsettling depth and accuracy.

The late Bob Peck, in one of television's greatest performances, is Ronald Craven, a Yorkshire detective whose daughter Emma (Joanne Whalley) is gunned down outside their house in what is initially assumed to be a revenge attack related to Craven's former, and shadowy, intelligence past in Northern Ireland. The plot unwinds from here and slowly reveals a grand, all-encompassing conspiracy extending to the very highest levels as Craven investigates the circumstances of, and the motives behind, his daughter's death.

Peck plays Craven with a subtle emotional intensity rarely seen on television, the deadpan delivery of a man in the depths of grief contrasted by the emotions which his eyes always betray. A supporting cast of renegade CIA agents (Joe Don Baker giving the performance he was born for as brash Texan Darias Jedburgh), amiable but slightly sinister civil servants who never quite make it clear who they're working for (Charles Kay and Ian McNeice as Pendleton and Harcourt), environmental activists, trade-unionists, police and self-serving politicians make for a plot that twists and turns unpredictably as Craven's grief-powered explorations lead him ever deeper into the shadows, until the final, devastating, unexpected dénouement in the last episode that almost leaves more questions in the mind of the viewer than it answers.

This is British television drama at its best. Making it in the first place was a brave decision for the BBC, and it hasn't been bettered since. The plot sometimes seems slow at times, but there's always something relevant happening on screen. I do not recommend starting watching half-way through, as you will end up with an incomplete understanding of both the message of the story and the convoluted plot. Take the phone off the hook for five hours and enjoy. It is superb in all aspects from writing to casting to production, and exercises the mind in a way that few dramas do.

Incidentally - the original DVD release received poor reviews, but the 2003 re-release on a BBC DVD is excellent and includes some worthwhile extras as well as the complete uncut series.
71 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of The Best Television Miniseries Ever Made
Terence Allen25 June 2004
Edge of Darkness is in a class by itself as far as filmmaking is concerned.

This troubling, disturbing, haunting film is a classic, and a must-see for people who enjoy riveting stories, great performances, and who have more than a few questions about how governments discreetly solve their problems.

Bob Peck gives a tour-de-force performance that encompasses so many different emotions. He represents the average British citizen who finds himself caught up in events he cannot control, nor completely understand. Joe Don Baker is appropriately over the top as Jedburgh, and the rest of the cast sparkles with an adroit script and keen, sharp direction.
58 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beyond words. One of the most remarkable pieces of television ever.
jrice7319 November 2009
I had seen the original Edge of Darkness back in the middle eighties (around '86 or '87) when I was about 13 or 14. I didn't remember a lot about it but I knew that it was pretty special. I saw the trailer for the Mel Gibson version a few months back and decided to revisit the original for the first time in like 20 years. I just got finished watching a little while ago. My God. I'm speechless. One of the greatest pieces of television ever. What begins as a father trying to find justice and closure for his murdered daughter segues into a surprising and haunting look at the soul of humanity and its future place on this planet. Harlan Ellison would call this a dangerous vision and it is indeed that. One of the most remarkable television series I have ever seen and even with Martin Campbell directing the remake, I just don't see the film having the same gravitas as the original. You know to start commenting on this masterpiece, I feel I have to start with not its primary character, but its secondary one, here played by Joe Don Baker. Outside of the Walking Tall films, I didn't think much of Joe Don Baker. Boy was I wrong. His Darius Jedburgh is one of the most complex and unique heroes/anti heroes to ever grace the small screen. You're a bit repulsed by him at first, but then you fall in love with his character. His wit, cleverness and intelligence is remarkable and all from Baker doing what he needs to do. He is one of the good guys. "Man will always win against nature" he cynically says and that is rebuked near the end of the series by the last friend he will ever have in Bob Peck's Ronald Craven who says, "I think you're wrong. If there is a battle between the planet and mankind, the planet will win." Peck's Craven is what ultimately leads us to Jedburgh. Craven's the central character, a hard nosed yet honorable police detective who happens to be widowed and whose only daughter, Emma, is gunned down right in front of him. That begins a quest for Craven to uncover the truth behind Emma's death which leads what screenwriter Troy Kennedy Martin may have envisioned, a battle between the forces of light and darkness for custody of the planet. Peck's performance is cool, reserved, a slow burn but in his eyes, in his eyes is a man losing all hope, all control. Those eyes of his are full of emptiness and pain. The most beautiful thing in his ugly, cynical world has been taken away from him. And what he thinks is a revenge killing against him gone wrong, becomes an investigation into a dark, dangerous world where the future of all of us hangs in the balance. Each layer that Craven uncovers to what at first appears to be simple street crime reveals a labyrithian conspiracy that exists which only a few are aware of and which is edging Craven closer and closer to madness. Peck's Craven rarely breaks down, he's in control of a chaotic situation, but when he lets his character rage at the world, you see a man broken, trapped and drowning. His emotions, his gravity of character takes us truly to the edge of darkness. "I am not on YOUR SIDE," he screams towards the end, letting loose all that he has lost, his daughter, his sanity, his life, his world. The true nature of the world has been revealed to him and he is no better for it. This was and is groundbreaking material. I don't want to spoil the intriguing hard science fiction plot with a pinch of the mystical simply because that would be the series undoing. And this is hard science fiction firmly rooted in real science and real speculation. Just grab on to something or someone and take a ride where darkness envelopes all who enter and where nothing is really what it seems.
20 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A brilliant thriller ahead of its time.
Rocko-630 December 1998
Bob Peck, perhaps best known to American audiences as game warden Robert Muldoon in JURASSIC PARK, portrays a police inspector obsessed with solving his daughter's murder. His investigation leads him not only into his own past but into subversive anti-government groups, international intelligence conspiracies, and globalist elitism. This brilliant program, produced in 1986, goes beyond the Cold War and successfully predicts the darker side of globalism, the rise of New Age, pagan belief systems, and the government paranoia which keeps "The X-Files" in business. Another plus is Joanne Whalley-Kilmer as the murdered girl, who keeps appearing and conversing with her father. This cleverly serves not only an expository device, externalizing for the viewer the motivations and rationales behind one man's solitary mission, but also reminds us how unbalanced Peck's character truly is. This is an intelligent, thought-provoking program that only improves upon further viewings.
53 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Superb, courageous television we're not likely to see again.
dscott210 July 2000
This is television nothing like US commercial TV. (And I include in that category not only network, but the tragically disappointing cable outlets.) Certainly, US public TV generally shied away from EOD - even, I'm afraid, NYC's flagship station. It was just too hot in the Age of Reagan. Also, I'm afraid, after Maggie Thatcher's gutting of the BBC, it will be rare there as well. What EOD offers is the complexity, the density, the reality of life - much like reading a novel, say, by John Le Carré at his best. And the acting! My God, those Brits - as Jedburgh says, they deserve the Falklands! One note that I can't resist: when we finally first see the cooling pool of Northmoor's plutonium holding - and remember that plutonium was named after the Greek God of the Underworld - Michael Kamen's music gives us a contrabass passage from Walton's "Belshazzar's Feast." And in that British cantata, the chorus sings "Thy sons shall be made eunuchs in the palace of the King of Babylon....By the waters of Babylon, we sat down, yea we wept...." And we sense what will be spelled out for us: the limitless depths of Grogan's international nuclear despotism. Like a fine novel, EOD deserves attentive and multiple viewings.
37 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
TV can be Good
steve_heaton9 September 2005
While you could make a good argument that TV doesn't have much to offer as a medium, this mini series stands as a blazing example to the contrary.

I doubt if this story would of worked as a movie. The suspense is slowly built per episode. Nothing blatant. Lots inferred. Brilliant writing. Superb acting. Haunting. Funny. Disturbing. The story is probably as relevant now (2005) as it was back in '85.

The music score alone makes it worth adding to your DVD collection. Michael Karmen and Eric Clapton work magic on the score. (A poor copy following in Lethal Weapon 3).

When it's over your heart won't sing; you probably won't have a smile on your face. Maybe a tear on the cheek? However, you'll be glad you watched it and rave about it later.

It's a moving, gripping piece of work.
43 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dont worry about the length, feel the quality!
neonwhite4 November 2002
I am unsurprised to find this miniseries rated 9.2. It remains one of the most powerful, heart and gut wrenching thrillers of all time. Some other reviewers have commented that Edge of Darkness represents the true potential of television as a dramatic medium. It's length (as a miniseries) probably presaged the future of high quality per hour viewing that has become a staple output of English 'Crime/Thriller' miniseries(nobody does crime better) or perhaps the Sopranos - however -all comparisons aside, the sheer power of the story is remarkable.

If a key to a story is to have sympathy and empathy for its characters, Bob Peck's portrayal of the descent into despair and insanity of Inspector Ronald Craven is a powerhouse. We experience the absolute depths of his personal horror at the loss of his child in curious circumstances and as he delves deeper, we are drawn into his pain and shock at the secret life of his child.

Edge of darkness has so many things going for it , it's hard to know where to start - honest, egdy performances, crisp writing and dialogue, layers of intrigue, the eerie and beautiful soundtrack of Michael Kamen and Eric Clapton - (sigh) - its smart, scary and challenging.

If you are a student of film/tv, see it. If you are jaded with current shows, go back and watch it and see the possibilities. It is an example of the art form at its most effective, making us part of the story and carrying us into its emotion.
41 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The finest hours of television
Harri Kaimio21 December 2006
I first saw a small clip of Edge of Darkness while visiting Britain during the 1986 BAFTA award ceremony and the imagery has haunted me ever since. After that I have seen it in several occasions, and even if I risk downplaying masterpieces like Bergman's "Fanny & Alexander" or Kieslowski's "Dekalog", for me this is still "the" TV series of all times.

For once every single piece of the production is fully supporting each other. Acting is superb, cinematography and editing terrific and music (by Eric Clapton) creates an unique atmosphere. Director Campbell and his team really knew their medium (this series actually looks better in a small TV set than on a large screen. After all, it was *designed* to be viewed that way!) At 1980s, the style and quality of Darkness was revolutionary. 20 years later it has been copied so often that it looks almost classical.

The complex plot that turns from labour union investigation to tale of grief and personal loss, to murder mystery, to international political thriller, to allegory of the eternal fight between forces of good and bad, to analysis of the philosophy behind environmental movement, is today as acute as it was 20 years ago. Most of all, however, Edge of Darkness is an exceptional TV drama that keeps you enchanted for all of its length. And it does offer the ultimate cliffhanger before the final episode...
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The BBC's finest ever production
Chris McMenamin24 December 2004
I can only sum up Edge of Darkness with the following statement. Quite simply it is the best thing that the BBC ever made.

Bob Peck is magnificent as Craven. The ways in which he conveys the character's grief and slow descent into insanity while slipping in some dark humour meant that he fully deserved the BAFTA award he won. Also magnificent is Joe Don Baker as the hugely entertaining and eccentric Jedburgh. Episode 5 "Northmoor" which focuses on these two characters has to be seen to be believed.

Both main characters are ably supported by a range of established British actors with union leader Godbolt, Craven's superior Ross and of course the Civil Servant double-act of Pendleton and Harcourt all very intriguing with each adding their part to the mystery.

The use of film, Martin Campbell's direction, the opening sequences of each episode, Mat Irvine's visual effects, Eric Clapton's terrific score and most importantly Troy Kennedy Martin's fantastic script create a tense atmosphere and all combine to ensure that Edge of Darkness was and is one of the classiest and best thrillers ever produced. The plot twists and turns constantly but stay with it until the end. If you watch Episode 1 on the DVD you will be compelled to stick with it for a highly worthwhile 5 hours and at the end you might just wonder why the BBC have never put the licence fee to such good use since.
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
kattah7 May 2000
unbelievably sophisticated, strikingly intense story of a british policeman trying to solve a mystery behind his daughter's death. the path he follows goes right down the dark woods - revealing an uglier world where personal grief becomes irrelevant to all sides and individual suffering is disposable - like nuclear waste. rarely have the deep human tragedy and impending political scheme been intervened in such a raw, yet subtle manner.

although regarded as a temporal masterpiece, in 14 years the edge of darkness has not lost its credibility and sharpness. one thing you might find funny though is the way computers look and work (oh yeah...). furthermore, in vhs copy one looses the endings of almost all the individual episodes - that is - all the different versions of the theme. beware, that's a big loss!
24 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watermark for conspiracy dramas
quinch-anz5 May 2005
Fifteen years after I first saw this masterpiece it stands up frighteningly well.

The true sign of the class of the whole production is the sheer number of moments that stick with you years later - often at a subliminal level.

After Jedburgh and Grogan it is hard to take any American at face value even today.

The script is taut, the production is visually and aurally inventive and still compelling (without the CGI refuge so common today), the performances from lead to single-scene are never less than superb - and then there is the soundtrack...

Dated somewhat (inevitable given the lack of mobile phones!) the quality of direction makes this something that everyone should see at least once...
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still holds up after 23 years
deermice7 November 2009
I originally saw the episodes in 1986 when it first showed on American television. I don't think I had a VCR at the time but I assumed it would be on again - I realized that this was a truly incredible piece of work and I looked forward to seeing it again. Unfortunately, it wasn't on TV again but I kept the TV Guide that advertised it the first time to remind me of the title and when I signed up with Netflix a couple of years ago I put it on the list even though it wasn't available. I already knew it wasn't available for sale on U.S. formatted DVDs, but I could hope Netflix might do a conversion. Eventually it became available and I received it in the mail just last week. When it had first come out, I was in my mid-20s and I fell in love with the idea of Gaia and the notion that the planet will survive despite what we do. I remembered very emotional scenes, great sadness, and haunting music. Would it mean the same to me now as it did back then? Well I wasn't disappointed. If anything, it might have been even better than I remembered. The betrayal of the Bob Peck character is still gut-wrenching even in light of my more realistic view of politics and the world in general. I hadn't remembered that the character of Emma, although killed within the first few minutes of the first episode, continues to haunt and speak with her father throughout the show, appearing and disappearing unexpectedly. The music is so simple yet so intense - guitar strokes floating through the air and the sudden appearance of a Willie Nelson song - they support the story incredibly well. I'm still not sure I completely understand the story line but I don't think it matters. That confusion just reinforces the notion that the good guys and bad guys are mostly interchangeable and no one can be relied on except for Craven and his American CIA buddy, both of who undergo epiphanies but had to die to get there.

Hugh Fraser worked well in his role and Tim McInnerny was a great surprise as a very sinister and cowardly character, quite unlike his bumbling (and very funny) Black Adder character, Percy. I didn't even recognize him.

I'm so glad I got to see this show again and I would rank it easily in the top ten best TV shows of all time.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gritty, Dark, Wonderful.
spud_head18 October 2004
A classic piece of 80's BBC thriller/drama (thrillerama?)! Bob Peck as the gritty, p*ssed off cop who's just lost his daughter and wants to find out why - Joe Don Baker as the CIA dude who doesn't give a f***, and an upper class civil servant - Charles Kay - who's got his own agenda ("GET ME PENDLETON!!!").

The filming is superb - excellent settings, and probably the first and most thrilling scene of computer espionage I've ever seen. It may not have a cast of thousands, but you get the feeling of vast scale - and very confined spaces.

This is one thriller you'll keep thinking about and coming back to for many many years. Absolutely awesome.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
sburns410926 August 2004
Elliptical, strange, visually ambitious, this is for me the very best thriller I've come across in ANY medium, cinema movies included. The sad thing is I suspect that modern-day BBC TV would be incapable of commissioning it (too challenging, elitist, all that). Never mind, it's still great and available for us to savor.

Deeply moving as a study of loss (the central character's daughter is unforgettably killed in Episode One, but his mourning is also somehow for the degraded state of the world generally)it is also a cracking intelligence story with any number of brilliant scenes: The introduction of Joe Don Baker's Darius Jedburgh in his favourite London restaurant as he sings country and western songs with his legendary CIA buddies...and what scene has EVER been greater than the one in which Jedburgh steals weapons-grade plutonium and puts it into a Harrods carrier bag to take away? Maybe when he plays golf in Scotland with radiation sickness. God, it's marvelous. And Clapton's nagging, paranoid guitar on the soundtrack will never leave you.

Special mention for Troy Kennedy Martin's script - a masterpiece to behold.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Haunting series
Alex-3724 January 2003
Edge Of Darkness is and was an awesome series when it came out. Lean, melancholy, it exudes a sense of loss that almost perfectly mimics the bleak mood of the day - the Thatcher era, when Europe and the US were attempting to pull themselves out of a long running recession.

Bob Peck is the copper with the intelligence service background whose daughter and only child is murdered when an operative from his own past tries to kill him. How did he find him, was her death purely accidental, and can he find out, without cracking up first?

Soon enough, various British secret services, the CIA, dubious businessmen and national security are thrown into mix, and Peck must survive being thrown into the trickbag.

More than just a detective thriller, this series exudes the atmosphere of Margaret Thatcher's England, the eighties, recession and psychological and economic depression.

This is a very compelling detective series that transgresses into several other genres and issues (ghost stories, environmentalism and nuclear power) and thereby creates ever more interest in the viewer. Great, haunting score by Eric Clapton and Michael Kamen. Great acting from Bob Peck, Joanne Whalley, and a host of local British acting talent.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
ccassis0077 November 2003
My Wife had been going on and on about this movie she saw when she was younger. It took a while but I found it. Edge of Darkness was absolutely wonderful! A wonderful Plot line that kept me on the edge of my seat for all 5 hours.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best of the best
BigBANGtheory2 February 2006
This is the closest to perfection a TV-mini series could hope to reach it simply doesn't get any better than this. You know how some dramas start well, build up to an exciting mid-point but ultimately fall short in their conclusion? Well 'Edge of Darkness'is not one of those, it starts strongly, builds up to some unforgettable moments and delivers a god-like finale. All this without leaving annoying plot holes, questions, doubts and not by any means spoon feeding the viewer a linear simplistic plot line.....Pure Genius this is THE Thriller by which all others should be compared.

'24' by modern times is good yes but it limps along compared to 'Edge of Darkness'.

'Das Boot' is perhaps the closest rival in my opinion though I look forward to a day when it is eventually bested by a modern production.

If you haven't seen it, do so! Its still very watchable even though filmed in 1985.
Bob Peck's finest
tosinner8 May 2004
From a time when Bob Peck just would not get off of my telly (and rightly so!) a fantasticly dark and quirky tale that starts well, pieces together smartly (especialy the full version) and builds towards one fantastic ending.

To begin with we have a detective investigating what seems to be a simple attempted murder... and then, well, yah would have to watch it, but make sure you don't miss any. And beware of americans bringing gifts! ;-) There are few films that would rival such a plot around, and the series as a whole carefuly adds new information and intestest at a rate that will keep you guessing.
A brilliant edgy thriller
bryanmorand16 January 2004
I just added this BBC made thriller to my DVD collection and it is one of my favourite television dramas. I saw it when it first came out in 1986 and with a brilliant script and superb acting, it is a true masterpiece of television drama.

If you have haven't seen it you are missing out on quality entertainment.
It was worth it
widal22 January 2002
After great trouble I finally got my two disc edition of EOD from England. This was the series I had originally seen propably during 1987 here in Finland. All I could remember about series was haunting pictures of black flowers in the snow. And I knew it was something worth to wait for. I spend two nights watching this great show. I really felt the pain of Ronnie Craven, and finally understood that there were no more life for him to live, just this one quest left. I recommmend this series for those who can concentrate for drama that demands maybe little more attention than shows normally do these days. But you will be rewarded. I myself loved it. After so many years of waiting and dreaming... it was worth it!
MTS12 March 2001
I bought the video for this a year or two ago. I just decided to start watching it last Saturday night. It would be my first viewing of "Edge of Darkness" since its original airing back in the eighties. It was late Saturday night when I started, intending only to watch a couple of hours. It was 4:30 in the morning when it finished and I could make my way to bed.

Brilliant, understated performances (except for Joe Don Baker who is never understated but, nevertheless, gives what has to be one of his finest performances) to go with the excellent writing. A personal story while sweeping in its scale, I was on the edge of my seat even though I had already seen it and knew how it ended. However, I had forgotten quite a bit of the story so I was riveted throughout.

If you remember seeing it, go out and buy the video. Then pass it along. Something this good should not be left to the mercy of (non-existent) reruns. Your friends will not be able to stop watching the video and they will thank you for it.
Once seen, never forgotten
spottedwhiskers574 August 2002
This is without a doubt one of the best productions for TV that I have ever seen. It handles important issues like politics, nuclear plants and environmental questions in a unique way: with a preference but without preaching. The story unfolds steadily and quietly, the characters are allowed to develop fully, thereby giving the story an amazing depth and force. The actors are some of Britain's best and brightest, but Bob Peck is truly the shining star even in this devastatingly skilled cast. Furthermore, this is a TV-series with a mission. But oddly enough, you will not feel you're being lectured to - instead it leaves you with a feeling that you want to take responsibility, a rare emotion whenever nuclear power is discussed! I will never forget the scene between the very American Joe Don Baker and the very British Bob Peck drinking whisky and singing. Baker then tells him a long story in his drawling Texan accent. Peck just looks at him, raises his eyebrow one millimeter and says: "Is this relevant?" When you've seen this quiet masterpiece, you too will answer: "Yes".
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unforgettable, Unbeatable
GrahamEngland2 April 2010
I agree with those who say Edge Of Darkness is one of TV drama's finest moments.

That it is set in it's time so instantly 'dated', matters not, that's the point.

The Prime Minister is a she, an ex actor is US President, there is a new idea called the 'Star Wars' attracting the nuclear and defence industries.

Bob Peck, so much missed, gives an incredible performance, the delectable Joanne Whalley will never be in anything better, the always reliable Joe Don Baker shines in a part he was born to play. The murkiness of the interconnected worlds of the civil service, politics, defence, the nuclear programmes, are well shown and credible.

The 'Crimewatch' TV programme Craven appears on, asking for the public's help in investigating crimes, was as shown, with the same presenter then, for real. A rarely used device in drama then, it adds to the impact and credibility. (And anyone who has been to the Barbican complex in London, can understand how the police searching for those who have broken into the MI5 computer, could get themselves lost!)

I disagree with those who say the first episodes were slow, they set the scene and built the tension, those not aware of the wider politics of 1984/5 Britain might find it a little hard to navigate however.

Leading to another 'real life' cameo, the speaker from the Labour Party early in Ep.1 at Emma's college, decrying funding cuts, was then, is now, Labour MP Michael Meacher, on the left of the party (who then dominated), some calling him 'Tony Benn's Representitive On Earth'. Meacher became more moderate and was in Tony Blair's cabinet as Environment Minister until 2001, every time I saw him on screen I always thought of EoD.

Making a movie version, 'updated', inevitably relocated to the US, was never going to work, we have a saying here, 'trying to put a Quart into a Pint pot'. With the inevitable dumbing down as so much of Hollywood continues to be insultingly patronising to it's audience.

None of that in the original.

Even this Clapton-phobe liked the soundtrack too.

So buy the DVD and immerse yourself, I got my copy for just £3 in a sale, for 5 hours of the best quality drama-and people still talk of 'rip-off Britain?'
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Buy this and see it before you watch the Mel Gibson remake
Dolescum23 February 2010
A true classic of British television drama. I remember this from its original airing in the UK and the release of the remake prompted me to buy the DVD version of the original series to see if it still has the means to captivate.

It does.

I say you you watch this series first and yes it may seem a stretch at around 5 hours but this sets the bar that the newer production has to hit. I very much doubt however that it will as Hollywood can rarely ratchet up the tension in the way the 1985 version does without resorting to pyrotechnics and burning rubber. Mind you with the original Director at the helm, who knows what can happen.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this