IMDb > "Amen" (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Amen" More at IMDbPro »

A Great Show!

Author: Jennifer from Euless, Texas
18 February 2001

When this show premiered I was 8 yrs. old. I remember my family and I would sit down together and watch this great sitcom. It had great comedy, a good message about faith, and a great cast! If you catch the reruns of this show I suggest you sit back and watch it.

Classic 1980's sitcom that was a big hit with the religious circuit

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
13 November 2003

Once he was the loud and arrogant character George Jefferson for the eleven years that actor Sherman Hemsley was on "The Jeffersons". This time around he is still rude,loud,arrogant,and cunning as Deacon Ernest Frye who is head of the Philadelphia Community Church,trying to keep everything in his church firmly under control within the supervision of his organization while on the side works as a defense lawyer under the watchful eye of the Reverend Reuben Gregory,played by Clifton Davis.

The show was called "Amen" and it ran on NBC-TV from 1986-1992. For the six astounding seasons that it was on the air it was the network's grand Saturday Night Line-up which consisted of the shows "227","Hunter" "The Golden Girls",and "Empty Nest" during the 1980's for the peacock network. Also to point out,"Amen" was one of the most watched shows that garnered a huge African-American audience everytime is came on,but you have others that tune in to the show as well. The show was very hilarious at times and extremely funny especially with the strong comedical support from Sherman Hemsley,because you'll never know what Deacon Frye was to do next so expect the unexpected. Also to point out it also has a strong supported cast with included Roz Ryan(Sister Amelia),Barbara Montgomery(Sister Casietta),Jester Hairston(Rolly Forbes),and the silliest character of them all which was the breaking point of the entire series,the uncanny Thelma Frye(Anna Maria-Horsford) who would stop and nothing at all to get the man of her dreams,only to end up with some very hilarious results. Horsford was without a doubt one of the best comedians of her day,especially with the performance of Thelma Frye will always go down as one of the best supporting actresses in an 80's sitcom,and it shows this too. This was a show that was never too preachy but it remained funny at times while not being too religious and that is something that was never tried before,especially with a grand 80's show,with a talented African-American cast. The show still comes on during various times in certain syndicated markets,but it remains to be seen,since it also runs the repeats at least twice a day on cable's BET network. The creator of this show was none other than Ed. Weinberger who was behind some of the greatest sitcoms ever made including "The Mary Tyler Moore Show","Taxi",and of course "Cheers".

However,as for the rest of cast of this great series,Sherman Hemsley, Anna Maria-Horsford,Roz Ryan,Barbara Montgomery are still seen in certain sitcoms and feature films nowadays,but the great Jester Hairston,who was with Clifton Davis in the LOST 70's sitcom "That's My Mama!",is no longer with us. He passed away several years ago. As for actor Clifton Davis,well,he is still doing feature films and makes guest appearances on certain sitcoms,but is also on the gospel circuit these days and also is head of the Department of Dramatic Studies over at Elizabeth City State University in Elizabeth City,North Carolina.

A show that is sorely needed today,in a time of despair and sorrow. And "Amen" was just that too.

The kind of show that is sorely needed today.

Author: dangerous_lust from Echo Park, CA USA
6 April 2003

This was a hilarious late 80's sitcom set in an African American church. While the setting (and atmosphere) seem to lead to all the trappings of religious cliches, this show was actually funny. Maybe it helped that Sherman Hemsley (The Jeffersons) lead a strong, multi-talented cast. This included Jester Hairston (Rolly), Roz Ryan (Sister Amelia), Clifton Davis (Reverend Gregory) and my favorite, Anna Maria Horsford (Thelma Frye). She goes down as my favorite supporting actress in an 80's sitcom. Too often shows where religion is an underlying theme come off as preachy. "Amen" proved you could be truly funny while also being religious. Now THAT'S a faith-based initiative.

Entertaining

Author: Peter Terry from United States MD
2 September 1999

This show is great for a few laughs. Sherman Hemsley is the funniest character on the show. I think this show is fun, but not as much fun as "Martin". If you are "religious" you might enjoy this show even more.

My rating: 8 out of 10

One of the most hilarious African American comedies ever!

Author: Darlawood80 from Southern New Jersey USA
2 July 2003

I remember seeing this show about the age of six. Never watched it much until the show ended. The characters in the show crack me up! For a 1980's comedy gives me back real good hilarious memories. I wish the show was still on. I'd be laughing forever.

amen

Author: webb_sara from United States
7 June 2006

I used to watch 'Amen' when I was growing up and I remember laughing hysterically at Sherman Hemsley and the rest of the cast. I've started watching it again now that I'm older, and I laugh just has hard or harder. If the series came out on DVD, I'd get it in a heartbeat! I used to watch it with my late grandmother and I would call her every Saturday night and we would discuss the show and we loved it when Thelma and the Reverend got married and had their child. Whenever I have it on in other parts of my house, and if one my family members are watching, they'll just laugh as loud or louder with me. It was a good show then, it's even better to me now.

Great show for everyone

Author: Director-21 from Delray Beach, Fl
6 April 2008

Great show that was about black people, but appealed to people of any race. It's real easy for shows with ethnic minority characters to appeal only to that minority. Instead this show had an exclusively black cast but didn't pander to racial stereotypes and people of any race could relate to the stories and jokes it used. A great cast headlined by the great Sherman Hemsley and featuring a great cast, including Jester Harrison as the cantankerous old man with the best one liners. Always loved the fact that Deacon Ernie J Frey was a rather self absorbed jackass but also a likable character as well. Also liked the fact that it was about a Christian church and didn't turn into a bunch of right-wing propaganda.

This show was GREAT!!

Author: JennLynn
6 October 1999

I liked this show... one of my top ten. I would vote it a 10!!!!! Very, very funny!! And it had nothing to do with "pushing" non-Christians into Christianity, even though it was about a church and the activities there. Anyone who likes good humor should see this one - a classic!

Amen! Amen! Amen!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
18 October 2006

Amen was a good sitcom. It was set in a Protestant Church led by Sherman Hemsley's character. The show had a stellar cast including Jester Hairston, Roz Ryan and Barbara Montgomery as sisters which was truly believable, Clifton Davis as the new pastor and the love of the head minister's daughter played by Anna Maria Horsford. After a while, you began to believe that this environment existed. It was set in Philadelphia which was a change of pace from New York City. Amen and 227 were usually aired on Saturday nights before Golden Girls. Amen was a well-written, acted show. It was the kind of church that I wished I belong too at times. It also showed that Sherman Hemsley was talented to hold his own show as well besides being best known as George Jefferson. He will always be George to us but we have to acknowledge that the Jeffersons did move on and prospered as well and rightfully so.

I would like to know how to purchase DVD/VHS'/of old TV series.

Author: llawrite from United States
4 March 2006

I collect clean family friendly movies and would like to know how to buy these series.

I can remember watching various TV programs at night and like the comedy series as well as the dramas.

Shows such as, All in the family; Golden Girls; That's my mama; The Jeffersons are all light comedy and I would like to know how to purchase them.

There are so many gory shows on today-many of them deals with murder, and other violence-even though I know that those things are, unfortunately, a part of our society.

I can remember baby sitting at a neighbor's home, eating Kellogg's's cornflakes while watching Carol Burnett's show and The Red Skelton show.

I even enjoyed returning home from school in the South to watch the Three Stooges on television.

As a young child, I did not know I was poor. There was a mom and dad n the home and shows like Roy Rogers and Del Evans. Who could forget The Gene Autry Show.

I realize that there may be some very young readers out there, but I'm sure there are some people who are familiar with these shows.

Thanks, Llawrite