IMDb > "ALF" (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"ALF"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"ALF" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great comedy that will be missed

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
23 July 2002

While the character has been turned into nothing more than some goofy icon of yesteryear, the show itself was quite unique in the fact that it combined the silliness of the Muppets and the usual kitsch of prime time sitcoms. Funny, eclectic and unusual, this show was a welcome relief from the usual sitcoms that dealt with family and what not. I'm glad this show is still being immortalized thanks to commercials, simply because it was one of those shows I had to fight with parents in order to see. Often times, good fun should take over for raunchiness and this is what made this show so spectacular. While the 80s was a bad fashion decade, sitcoms were a step above the rest after such an incredible decade as the 1970s. ALF just happened to be one of those shows.

Hey, I grew up watching this show!

Author: Smooth B from Somewhere In Illinois
17 November 1999

If any of you were little kids in the mid-80's (like I was) you enjoyed shows like the Smurfs, Thundercats, He-Man, Alvin & the Chipmunks, and even those old Marvel super hero shows. But that was all on Saturday morning. Where does the 6-year-old spend his TV time during the week? Watching ALF, of course! This show was a Monday night staple at 7 pm (cst). It's about an alien being who crash landed on Earth and spends his time wisecracking on the family that found him. He's got 8 stomachs, and he's not afraid to use them! This show spawned a cartoon series (which I also enjoyed watching). ALF goes right up there with Small Wonder and Charles In Charge as my favorite 80's sitcoms.

The Best of the 1980s

Author: ultimateALFsite from Bear, Delaware, USA
19 December 2003

As a child of the television (born in '62) I found myself glued to ALF in the mid 1980s. From the sarcastic wit of Paul Fusco, Tom Patchett and a team of

talented writers such as Jerry Stahl, we were entertained by such a great re- used idea. Sure, Mindy had Mork, Bill Bixby had his uncle Martin, and

Spielberg gave us E.T. . . but never was a space creature taken to the heart of a nation. Remember ALF mocking the Ollie North trials in ads for his show? How about ALF doing PSAs for wildlife conservation? . . . don't even get me started on the marketing value of this character. ALF appeared in THOUSANDS of

different items from coloring books to telephones. . .check ebay if you don't believe me! ALF is STILL a phenomenon!

one of my favorites

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
12 July 2002

This was undoubtably one of the best shows on television when it first came on. I loved the escapades of the furry little alien creature (ALF) as the family whose garage he crashed into tried to introduce him to human customs. I liked it. Unfortunately, towards the end it got kind of nasty, with the characters starting to fight all the time. Still, they had some memorable and warm moments and episodes.

Alien Life-Form. Those were the days...

Author: Howlin Wolf from Oldham, Gtr Manchester, England.
7 March 2004

Saturday teatime viewing in the '80's along with stuff like "The A-Team". ALF pretty much reeks of its decade, which is probably why it was cancelled in early 1990. It's by no means the first show to revolve around such a concept; in fact, stylistically I remember it being very similar to "Bigfoot & the Hendersons". Unfathomably though, ALF was somehow more lovable than Bigfoot, enough to spawn merchandise like cuddly toys, amongst other things. Must've been the charm of the show itself, rather than the looks of its furry star! Even as an adult, there are few things more entertaining than a guy in a costume cracking wise. The humour was never vulgar, but often funny, a balance that many shows in this format often fail to strike. Better it had a brief but successful run rather than drag itself out embarrassingly past its sell-by-date. ALF was very much a product of his time, and that perhaps is why I remember him so fondly. It seems like it was produced in the halcyon days of family viewing. They really DON'T make 'em like this anymore...

Sarcasm rules the world here!

Author: peppard from Appingedam, Netherlands
6 January 2004

ALF currently reruns on our Dutch channel NET5, every weekday from 16:30 till 17:00 hours. It's not the first time it reruns of course, but they've just started, because they're broadcasting the first few episodes now. I must say, the funniest thing about the show is the interaction between ALF and Willie. The fact that ALF acts like the place is his, and not from the Tanners. I also like the Ochmoneks, and that they don't know anything about ALF's presence. All together it's just a good, steady show, with actors who barely do any movies or TV-series nowadays, and that's a real shame.

When I was a kid, this was the sit-com to watch.

Author: wishkah7 from Brooklyn, NY. (Where I'm from originally.)
19 February 2001

ALF is another one of the favorite shows during my childhood. And I still enjoy it to this day. Every friend and acquaintance of mine loved this show. Some kids I knew back then wished ALF would've crashed into their garage! ALF has left some very fond memories. Short synopsis: One day the Tanner family was in their garage they hear a strange noise and it was a spaceship that eventually crashed into their garage and then discover ALF and he became a part of the family.

ALF was also a bit of a troublemaker and a prankster as well. Yet, he also tried to fix any damage he had done, gave advice to the Tanners, said some funny catchphrases, got into funny situations one can imagine, always had to hide in the kitchen whenever company came, chasing Lucky (the Tanner's cat, ALF had a taste for cats), and used references from historic events and the whatnot. ALF even had some heartfelt moments, too.

Plus, I heard that starting in March, NICK-AT-NITE is going to start showing old reruns of ALF! Another thing, too the kids in this show, Lynn and Brian acted like your everyday average kid and teen! Even though the show barely revolved around them, they weren't even smart-allecks like kids are in sit-coms nowadays. ALF was one of the better sit-coms from the 80's. It's another one of my favorites next to Night Court and Newhart. Feel free to watch the ALF reruns when they come to NICK-AT-NITE. ALF was a show for the whole family. It gets an A!

Fun Little Series That Is Carried by the Title Character

Author: tfrizzell from United States
25 July 2000

"ALF" was a nice little series that lasted a little more than four seasons in the late-1980s on NBC and was somewhat lost in the shuffle during a time when shows like "The Cosby Show", "Cheers", and "L.A. Law" dominated the ratings for the network. The series deals with a likeable alien from the planet Mailmac who is stranded on Earth and forced to live with the Tanners, a California family. Throughout, ALF is being protected from the fictional Alien Task Force. The Tanner family is led by Willie (Max Wright), his wife Kate (Anne Schedeen), and their children Lynn (Andrea Elson) and Brian (Benji Gregory). Perhaps the biggest minus of the series is the lack of character development within the Tanner family. Kate, Lynn, and Brian are all flat characters. However, Willie's character is excellent and it is Wright who helped carry the series as long as it went. Critically speaking, "ALF" is a somewhat disappointing series which struggles for story-lines. The fact that the series went on as long as it did is a testament to the writers and directors of this series. Sometimes the series struggled to find a permanent audience. At times the material was very adult-oriented, but at other times the stories seemed to cater more to the youngest of age groups. The way that the series ended was extremely disappointing in 1990. I am not sure how the series could have been wrapped up, but I felt empty and upset with the way the show ultimately ended. A made-for-television movie entitled "Project: ALF" tried to put a ribbon on the original series, but that film was overall unsatisfying as well. Overall an enjoyable series whose life on television was really longer than it should have been. 4 out of 5 stars.

Alien Lives With A Family

Author: RamManFromHeMan
19 September 2003

ALF is just about the most unusual family comedy ever. An alien lives with an average American family and the family keeps hiding him from public each day. It was great, ALF's still a cultural icon, and the actors should still be able to get good work from it. I Love It!

ALF rocks.

Author: afzp25 from S'pore
3 April 2009

I watched it for the first time in the year 2004 when i was 16 yrs old.Surprsingly I find it relevant to the present current era too.The dialog rendering is brilliant.Willie and ALF make a good pair.I don really watch English sitcoms.But became a fan of this once i started watching the first few episodes.And i only realized how i close i became to this show when i came across the DVD couple of years later.

I love to watch this show over and over again.ALF's way of expressing things is extremely good and catchy.Below is one of my favorite ones.

Willie: Stay away from the window, we've got a very nosy neighbor - Mrs. Ochmonek. ALF: Ochmonek? Sounds like a typo

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]