IMDb > Vision Quest (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Vision Quest

Vision Quest More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Great movie for wrestlers as well as anyone

Author: Jr_Olympic_Wrestler from United States
9 June 2005

This was an awesome movie. Vision Quest is about a wrestler, Louden Swain, who decides to cut 23 pounds in a dangerously short time to wrestle Ryan Shute. Shute is the undefeated state champion. When a beautiful woman, Carla, comes into town, Louden begins to fall in love with her and loses sight of his real goal of wrestling Shute. Louden starts thinking about that he's a virgin and the most important thing is to lose it. Carla sees what's happening and can't let him forget about wrestling Shute. She teaches Louden that being a man isn't about whether or not you're a virgin, it's about knowing how a woman wants to be treated and respecting that. She also teaches Louden that he should continue what he set out to do, and not let outside distractions stop him.

I'm a varsity wrestler in highschool and this movie always puts me in the mood to wrestle. I like to watch it before a big tournament that I'm wrestling in. It's like the Rocky movies in that you just get pumped up. Besides the wrestling part of it, the love story between Louden and Carla is very good.

Homesick to your stomach

Author: inspectors71 from Fly-Over Country
24 February 2005

So I'm pulling into the parking lot of Spokane Falls Community College to take a Western Civ test in the fall of 1983 and somebody tells me that if I get picked, I can get fifty bucks for driving my car past the camera being used to film a parking lot scene from a movie about a high school wrestler. I needed the grade more than the cash so I said, "Nah."

I'm watching the coming attractions before the feature at a theater in Spokane in 1985 and it shows a couple of young guys walking along a street with a bunch of used cars for sale in the background and I think that the clip looks just like used car row on East Trent in the valley; it just looks so familiar and I think, "Hey, is this that movie?"

I'm doing my student teaching at Rogers High School in the spring of 1987 and I keep thinking I've been in this classroom before, but how?

Vision Quest is more of a home movie than a feature film for me. It's not very good, a predictable and ordinary kid/sports/growing up/getting some from an older women/showcase for up and coming talent sort of flick. Yet, if you're from Spokane or anywhere in the Palouse or have gone to a community college in the area or have attended Rogers or North Central or just like the dippy, square little town, it's enough make you want to hop a flight and go home.

Maybe that's all a movie needs to be.

You're on a Vision Quest!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
24 September 2006

Linda Fiorentino pretty much debuted as the love interest to Matthew Modine in this film, Vision Quest, which is an odd title for a film anyway. It was also entitled Crazy for You based on Madonna's song for the movie. Both Madonna and Fiorentino were still new at the time. The writing for this story is bit predictable. Matthew plays a wrestler and Linda plays the object of his affections. The film is directed by Harold Becker who also has a great soundtrack to the movie. I love the music which are perfect choices and the sounds of the music keep playing in her your ears. It's predictable but worthy to watch over and over again. Keep watching it and you'll learn to become nostalgic for a time that MTV played music videos and you were young again. They filmed where they set the story in Spokane, Washington. They don't do that anymore. They film elsewhere you know and say it's the real thing. Anyway, Linda's role of Carla was a drifter from New Jersey. It turns out that Linda herself is from the same area of New Jersey herself. Matthew Modine seems a bit older to play a teenager but then again it always seemed like older people playing young like Beverly Hills 90210. Also it was nice to see Forest Whitaker in a very small role as one of the other wrestlers on the team. He should get an Oscar nomination this year. Harold Sylvester plays the English teacher who befriends Carla and he is better known for his role as the shoe salesman sidekick on Married with Children. Ronny Cox plays Louden's dad. A funny name, Louden Swain, but anyway the film has great music. They filmed on location in Spokane, and for a film debut, Linda was good. We miss you and we're waiting for your comeback.

My favorite movie of all time...

Author: ltafilaw from San Diego, CA
4 September 2002

I love this classic coming-of-age movie - maybe it's because I grew up in the 80's and was always hanging out with the wrestlers in high school. At any rate, I think Matthew Modine is perfect for the part of Louden Swain and Linda Fiorentino does a wonderful job portraying a tough girl from the East Coast. The movie is awesome - I love the soundtrack (especially Madonna) and the storyline. It is an inspiring story of commitment and competition. It is my favorite movie of all time!

Pretty decent yarn

Author: grahamsj3 from United States
24 January 2002

This is a decently done flick that deals with growing up as a teenager. Matthew Modine is excellent as Louden Swayne, a high school wrestler. He's just turned 18 and hasn't "done anything yet" and thinks that it's time to make a splash. He decides to take on the toughest guy in the state (Shute) in wrestling. Problem is, he's 2 weight classes too heavy, so he begins to lose weight rapidly. Just about this time, a slightly older girl (Linda Fiorentino) gets stranded in town and ends up staying with Louden and his dad for a while. Naturally, Louden falls hard for this beauty (hey, so did I!) and she unwittingly proves quite a distraction to his goal of beating Shute. I've read some comments that Fiorentino is a little masculine in this film, but I disagree. Modine is perfect in this role and acts just like a dumb, love-struck, silly teenage boy would act in that situation (including a humorous scene where she catches him sniffing her panties). Look for good acting from Matthew Modine, Linda Fiorentino, JC Quinn and Ronny Cox. I like this flick pretty well - it's entertaining and fun to watch. Isn't that what the whole industry is about?

Pin!!!

Author: (arthuralvarez23@hotmail.com) from santa cruz, california
11 January 2001

I thought this was a great wrestling movie. I watch this to get pumped up for a match or tournament that weekend. It starts out with lauden swain trying to cut from 190's to 168's and he does it in the most dramatic ways. It was very entertaining and fun to match. The last match againest shoot is also very exicting!!!!

Positive commentary from a former high school wrestler

Author: Gerold Heggem (Wiggum-11) from Lancaster, Ca
6 July 2000

I really enjoyed this film because, it was very inspirational and most of it was fairly accurate on the life of high school wrestling. yet the inaccuracies were severe. many of the moves were improbable and the cast didn't always fit their proposed weight class. if you don't think about it too much this is a great movie and i would highly recommend it.

Very accurate depiction of high school wrestling.

Author: grady stack (stanleyk13@aol.com) from sioux falls, xd
19 May 1999

This movie depicts the hardships of high school wrestlers very well, though not living up to its potential. Lovers and haters of the sport can relate to the true vision quest this young man is on to defeat the number one wrestler in the state. Definitely a great movie about dedication and perseverance.

A vibrant and truthful coming of age film

Author: (hornerdude@aol.com)
6 May 1999

Vision Quest is the story of an eighteen-year old high school wrestler who decides to take on an undefeated opponent for the sole purpose exploring his limits. Much more than a simple boy-struggles-through-all-opposition-to-finally-succeed film, Vision Quest has a heart as big as the main character's ego. Matthew Modine gives Lauden Swain a perfect balance of determination and naivete' which, when coupled with Linda Fiorentino's street-wise house guest, gives the film an urgency to discover the power behind dreams and goals. This gives the scenes of Laudin pushing himself to the limit a burst of energy that is immediately felt by the viewer. A wonderful score by Tangerine Dream plays beautifully with the many scenes that made me, and will make you, smile.

a smarter and sexier Karate Kid and original in many ways

Author: jfleon (jfleon@earthlink.net) from Maryland, USA
5 December 1999

This is yet another movie that viewers love and critics despise. If it is mentioned at all it is for Matthew Modine's confused and spirited turn as the boy-who-becomes-a-man by learning to love and tackling a seemingly impossible athletic goal. I was a teenager who saw this on a date in 1985 and I thought it was terrific then and I think the same now. Critics despise what is not original and, to be fair, there is not much original here. But so many of our favorite movies are based on our favorite stories and the story of a young boy who sees his dream through to its end and finds love along the way will always be a favorite with viewers. Wait. I take it back. It is really only when that story so well known to us all is told well-and here it is. Forget about Modine for a second and watch the cinematography by Owen Roizman (The French Connection) or listen to the best 80's music soundtrack ever including original music by Tangerine Dream. If that is not enough you can spot future stars like Forest Whitaker, Daphne Zuniga (Melrose Place) or even Madona (bit role and movie theme, Crazy for You). But forget all that for 90 minutes or so and forget that you've seen the movie a dozen times before and watch this amazing little film where the good guy captures his dream and grows up along the way. Really, how could you not like this? At the very least is is the only wrestling movie ever made that women love-and that in and of it self makes it original, groundbreaking even.

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]