IMDb > Vision Quest (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Very inspiring movie

Author: Maniac-9 from St. Louis, MO
29 January 2012

Matthew Modine plays Louden Swain a high school wrestler who tries to shed 23 pounds in a dangerously short time so that he can challenged the 168 lb. champion named Brian Shute. He goes on a Vision Quest to accomplish something truly meaningful which beating Shute who's an undefeated 3 time state champion would accomplish.

Meanwhile his dad takes in a boarder from New Jersey who's making her way across country on her way to California named Carla. Even though Carla is a few years older then Louden starts to fall for Carla which makes him start to lose his focus on his wrestling. The drastic amount of weight cutting he's doing leads Louden to start to develop nosebleeds and fainting.

If you're an athlete in any sport this is a good movie to help motivate you to accomplish whatever goals you want to do in your chosen sport.

Still Like It

Author: Craig from United States
7 December 2010

I love the movie and find it motivational still. This movie came out when I was just transitioning in to High School in fairly small town Oklahoma, where wrestling was near to as important as football. Most of my friends and my brother wrestled, so I knew how much work went into it. Naturally, I grabbed a 6-pack and joined the golf team. Still, from what I see it is a pretty good example of the wrestling aspect ( except for some of the throws they execute ) ( the weight cutting was spot-on for that time ). The rest of the movie to me is a kind of robotic spin on a pipe dream. Yes, there are several good actors in the movie, but this must have been in the early days for most of them because every line in it is like they have the script behind their back. Still, good story and something we all dreamed of at that age. 5 out of my 9 is for the wrestling aspect. Also, still have the soundtrack. It's just on my ipod now instead of a cassette tape.

Awesome movie with an awesome soundtrack

Author: rpizek from United States
31 December 2009

This is such a classic movie! This of yourself as the guy who always wants to get down to that weight where you can go against the guy they all say would crush you. I wish they made more movies like this now a days! This gives such inspiration to people who want to reach that goal of wanting to beat out your opponent. Matthew Modine was awesome in this movie and it made me want to get up and go running in a silver sweat suit. It was cool to see some characters from other classic 80's movies in it as well. You get a little sports and a hot chic and you have yourself an awesome 80's teen movie! I thought this movie was so good and a must see if you haven't already.

Classic 80's Movie

Author: Rob-266 from United States
23 October 2009

This is a classic 80's movie that's actually quite enjoyable. The acting is a little uneven, but not enough to ruin the film. The monotone performance of Linda Fiorentino contrasts with Matthew Modine's child-like wonderment persona, yet they still somehow have chemistry.

The character, Louden Swain, is a die-hard optimist who has big dreams for the future. Matthew Modine does an inspiring job in becoming this character. Bottom-line, this movie is all Modine. He carried this film and it would never have worked without him.

Whenever I call in at work, this is my "go to" movie that I pop in to pass the time. It's a fun movie that you can watch over and over again. Yes, parts of it are quite cheesy but that's what makes it even more amusing. Great 80's soundtrack too! Enjoy!

-RM

Quest for vision

Author: Nick Damian from Toronto, Ontario
21 August 2009

The movie is about a horny teen who's vision quest, which pretty much only concerns wrestling heavyweight Shoop as a way to "make his mark" when he enters manhood (he's turning 18).

Although, the quest becomes jeopardized when a cynical drifter, Carla (Linda Florentino) comes to town and changes Louden's life. Actually, her presence is not so profound in the end.

The movie is decent if you don't mind the awkwardness of Modine's portrayal of the character, as well meaning as Louden Swain may be. He's more dignified in the novel, despite only being a teenager.

You still get a good story and, eighties fans are sure to enjoy the movie. If they did ever remake this movie, it is the one case in which they should consider sticking to the novel.

Look for the elusive Michael Schoeffling as Louden's friend, Kuch. Forrest Whitakker, Daphne Zuniga and Raphael Sbarge all have minor roles (though Forrest Whittaker already made a name for himself in 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' three years earlier).

Madonna briefly appears as a club singer to perform 'Crazy for You,' and 'Gambler,' both of which are on the soundtrack.

Proves that 1985 is the best year of the 80s

Author: Cassie Hill from United States
9 May 2009

I saw this movie about one or two years ago and just recently rented it last week and I love it. I saw someone typed that people depreciate it because of not living through the 80s while I was born in the 90s and I love the 80s, and especially this brilliant 80s movie that as my summary is that 1985 was a good year during the 80s. Louden Swain is a young adult that just turned 18 and states in the beginning: "I'm Louden. Louden Swain. I turned 18 last week, I wasn't ready to. There's so much I haven't done yet. So I made a deal with myself, this is the year I make my mark." So when Louden's coach whoever would like to challenge the number one man in his weight class, Louden's hand goes up and the coach says he is already number one at 190 he says he knows and then Kusch complains that he should stay in his own division and that he's not giving up his spot. After that the coach pulls him aside and then Louden says he's going to drop to 168 and wrestle Shout. After the coach tells Louden he's insane, he tells Louden he'll let him wrestle 178 against Kusch but if not he'll go back to his own division. He wins and starts his training to make it down to 168. After coming back from his hotel job he see's Carla telling a car salesman that he sold her a lemon. Louden's dad works as a mechanic and punches him in the face. Then Louden's dad tells Louden to take Carla down to get a hamburger. Louden asks Carla why she's down in Spokane since she's from New Jersey and won't tell Louden what she's doing. Louden asks how old she is and tells him 21 so there's a three year difference. Louden's dad loses his job and then Louden and his dad let her live with them. After Carla has been living under Louden and his father's roof he falls in love with her. Which is inflicted with his plan to wrestle Shout. Later on when Louden see's Carla with Mr. Tammeran, Louden's English teacher, he thinks that they're having sexual relations and refuses to talk to Carla, and attempts to have sex with her and Carla pushes him off and tells him that part of being a man is knowing what a woman wants and respecting that, and that part of being a kid is that he could say something stupid and still get his face ripped off for saying it. Louden continues to get nosebleeds from not having enough iron, and Carla says he should eat more spinach. He says he's sorry but she walks out of the room. She shows that she forgives Louden by coming to one of his wrestling matches, and later when their in the coffee shop he tells her that he doesn't care if she's doing "it" with Mr. Tammeran, and Carla then kisses him. Later on in the movie they travel up to see Louden's grandpa and later Carla tells Louden that he has a lifetime left and what about his vision quest to defeat Shout and the girls to make love too and when he asks her to name one she pulls him towards herself and then it happens. A day before the match though, Carla leaves, and when Louden doesn't show, Coach asks where he and Kusch says he'll be there. Right before the forfeit Louden arrives and makes the weight. Then before he has to wrestle Carla comes in and Louden is upset that Carla left and didn't say goodbye and then Carla tells him that if she didn't leave he wouldn't be wrestling Shout, and then right after she says goodbye she tells Louden to beat Shout. Carla stays for Louden's match.Louden does get a nose bleed during the match but still wins. This movie is a must see rather you want to see a really good sports movie,or a really good 80s movie.

It Seemed Realistic

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
30 March 2006

I'm no authority on high school wrestling. I know I hated it in Phy Ed. Having your face pushed into that sweaty mat. That's no reason to not praise this movie. I don't believe that lack of knowledge of a subject should have anything to do with one's enjoyment. It was really interesting to see what high school wrestlers must go through to rise to the top of their game. Matthew Modine is very good. He has the failings of youth; the inconsistencies. He has drive but never really believed in himself to the point of attaining the top spot. There is, of course, the kid and the older woman part which seemed to be a big deal in the eighties. There were several movies like this. But it all gets down to the goal, the wrestling. Facing off against the main guy who looks like a truck going up and down those steps. It also has to do with a mysticism that people were beginning to see. The slight edge that makes the good great comes from within because with so many people on the planet, there is going to be an equal everywhere. This movie is about how to make that leap. I thought it was a pretty good film.

Classic "Pumped Up" movie

Author: Waylon Good from United States
13 November 2005

Vision Quest is a classic 1980's sports movie along the lines of each of the Rocky films. It has everything needed in a movie that leaves you pumped up after watching it: an underdog hero, a seemingly unbeatable villain, an unrealistic love interest, and most importantly an abundance of training montages. Sports training montages seem to be a uniquely 80's film staple, but they never get old to me. I would strongly advise people to not attempt to repeat some of the weight loss techniques shown in the movie for obvious health reasons. With that said, this movie should be required material for any beginning high school wrestler. Matthew Modine gives his first Modine-esquire performance on screen and you can always check in to see Madonna'a feature film debut as well. Parts of the movie are filmed in Spokane, Washington as well if that is of any interest to anyone. All in all a great film to enjoy if you are planning to hit the gym later that day.

Inspirational and uplifting.

Author: sandmanboxing04 from United States
17 August 2005

I really love this movie. Sure, it has some flaws and can get corny at times. However those were the high school days for us all weren't they? Anyway, to me the movie made one point that we should all try to live by. Louden starts off the movie saying that he hadn't done anything yet. One of the songs is titled Hungry For Heaven. The speech by Elmo talks about the accomplishments of one effecting the entire human species. The poem in Louden's English class, "Spring And Fall, To A Young Child" by Gerard Manley Hopkins was a brilliant addition to help make the point of the movie as well. In the end Louden looks back and says that we gotta love those people that deserve it like there's no tomorrow, 'cause when you get right down to it there isn't. Yet most of us sit on our couches talking about what we could have done! Watch this movie and read this poem! Here is a link!http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/59.html

A great sports movie that should be seen

Author: shanegerald from United States
17 June 2005

Vision Quest is a must see for any sports movie fan. It compares to any other 80's sports movie and is more believable. It has great actors, a truly great soundtrack and is a touching movie. Don't forget that this is an 80's movie, so at times the movie will look and sound a little corny, but it is an excellent movie. Anyone who gave this movie a bad rating either was not born until after the 80's or didn't truly experience the 80's. Especially an athlete in the 80's. Matt Modine is at his best and plays the part of an athlete great unlike many other sports movies. This is one of the best sports movies and probably the best wrestling movies, I also can not say enough about JOURNEY jamming the soundtrack. Great movie!!

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]