IMDb > Teen Wolf (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Corny 80's gold

Author: (stillsoilent@aol.com) from Northridge, California
28 January 2004

There are a lot of people who are going on about how much Teen Wolf sucks. I disagree because Teen Wolf has a special kind of suck going for it. Not so bad it's good but corny as hell and better for it. I've been watching this movie since it came out and I love it. How can you not love Teen Wolf? Michael J. Fox turns into a werewolf and becomes a popular star of his high school basketball team. There is even a dance at his prom that is wolf related. The whole school turns wolf crazy but Fox learns the right lesson in the end. How can you not love this corny crap. I'll be the first to admit that this isn't a good movie and is incredibly stupid, but honest to goodness crapfests don't have Stiles or a breakdancing wolf. Take that American Werewolf in London. Recently Teen Wolf has been blessed with DVD release along with it's sequel, Teen Wolf Too, on one disc. 80's fans rejoice!

Bottom Line: It isn't worthy of even trying to call itself good, but it's a classic, doesn't take itself seriously, and occupies a honored place on my shelf.

This movie is awesome!!

Author: (markrbryant@hotmail.com) from Sydney, Australia
12 January 2001

How anyone could not like this film is beyond me! It has everything from really hot babes ,great comedy, a wicked and inspiring ending and ofcourse Michael J. Fox.

This movie also has a brilliant soundtrack including Mark Safan's "Win in the End". The cost of the rental is worth it for this song alone.

This movie is a must see for teens and adults alike. Anyone who likes seeing the good guys triumph and has a soft spot for regular joes getting the girl and achieving greatness will appreciate this.

You'll laugh, You'll cheer, You'll Howl!!!!!

I love this movie

Author: RNMorton from West Chester, Pa
18 April 2003

I appreciate certain actors differently as time goes by. For me Michael J Fox has been on the upswing while others, like Steve Martin, are headed in the other direction. There's nothing particularly unique about any of the elements of this movie except maybe the combination of all of them. Fox finds he can transform into a werewolf with superhuman powers - his "problem" makes him the most popular guy in high school and creates a winning basketball team. Forget that the wolf playing Fox on the court must be twice his size and four times the athlete, this movie is just a lot of fun to watch, helped considerably by Hampton as the understanding dad and Ursitti as the under-appreciated girl friend. Very rewatchable.

One of the best of the teen comedies

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
7 May 2002

Michael J. Fox represents the tragedy that has befallen all youth in high school: the lack of acceptance. While this looks like a comedy about someone's personal difference, its more of a telling commentary on high school and how cruel it can be. One is only accepted through athletic achievement or by who they are. Fox's character only becomes more popular because he can dunk and take over a game. Of course, the team eventually wins in the end, but only after digging deep inside. But all of the dark critiquing aside, this film is quite good because of the unusual twist on an old story. Funny and outlandish, this film has more staying power than the typical teen movie from the 1980s.

A Fairly Typical 80's Teen Movie That Loses Some Appeal As You Get Older

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
2 April 2010

I certainly have good memories of this movie. I watched it when it first came out and quite enjoyed it as I remember. Of course, I was much younger at the time. Looking at it now reminds me that I'm getting old, I guess. This is a teen comedy - directed at teens, starring teens (or at least actors playing characters who are teens) and dealing with the normal teen issues such as acceptance and friendships and romance and the changes that accompany those years. Scott, played by Michael J. Fox, has a big change happening. He's suddenly discovered that he can change into a werewolf - a surprisingly friendly one for the most part, but still a werewolf. The change makes him a superstar basketball player who now leads his team to victory after victory and it makes him really popular - especially with the hottest girl in school. Scott was a bit of a strange character to me, though. The movie is supposed to be about the unpopular kid becoming accepted, but having to become something other than who he was to do it, but I didn't get the impression that he was particularly unpopular. He seemed to have lots of friends, he got invited to all the parties (more and bigger ones than I ever got invited to in high school!) - lots of kids have a lot more problems than Scott. The only issue he had was that as Scott he had the hots for the hottie but he couldn't get her to talk to him. I don't think I ever got the hottest girl in high school to pay much attention to me either. So, Scott didn't strike me as having that many challenges or problems to be honest.

In the end, I suppose the message is still worthwhile. He learns that he can't use the wolf to buy friendships, and he convinces the basketball team (who eventually take a dislike to him because as the wolf he dominates every play of every game and the others hardly ever get to touch the ball) that they have to play as a team (without him being the wolf) if they really want to be successful. So, the lesson is - don't put on masks. Be yourself. Point taken. Fox was pretty decent here, and I liked Susan Ursitti as his friend "Boof" - who has the hots for him, but who he doesn't notice because of his fixation with the hottie. (Frankly, thinking back to my high school years - from which I wasn't far removed when this came out - I'd have gone for Boof! She was cute!)

Not great but has a certain charm thanks mainly to a solid script and typical charm from Fox

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
23 November 2003

Scott Howard is on a basketball team of no-hopers (himself included), is outside of the "cool pack" at highschool and can't seem to even get close to the girls he is interested in. He also is going through some "changes" in his life – with his body doing odd things. The nature of these become clear to him when he transforms into a werewolf. Horrified to find that this runs in his family, Scott tries to control it but when he loses his temper in a basketball game he changes – to the stunned silence of the crowd and players. When he then wins the game he wins everyone over (well, most of them) and finds that the attention, acceptance and coolness that he craved are now his to have. However can he have this without it going to his head or becoming a novelty more than a person?

My girlfriend insisted that we watch Teen Wolf Too recently because neither of us had seen it. Having suffered through that I then rewatched the original film as it had been about twenty years since I last saw it. This should be kept in mind because, my enjoyment of the first film was unquestionably influenced by how poor the sequel was – indeed I need to keep this in mind while writing because I should not be praising Teen Wolf simply for not being as bad as the film that followed it. So, Teen Wolf is not a great film. It is a basic story that mixes teen coming-of-age films with the sports cliché and throws in the werewolf legend to make it a bit different. It does what you expect it to, ending with the moral lesson and sporting climax that you know is coming from about 10 minutes into it. Unlike the sequel though the film does have scenes that link the various stages of the film, so it feels like a story rather than squares on a board game where you are either in one or the other, never between. This gives it a better flow and makes it feel like we have something to go along with rather than making jumps.

The film is never really hilarious but it does have a certain charm to it that makes it quite fun to watch. It badly needs laughs but the set-pieces and the moments of plot do help keep it engaging. A big part of this is Fox himself – he is a personable actor and he brings that easy charm to this film. He works well and is well supported by the cute Ursitti, while Levine's Styles works a bit better than his counterpart in the sequel – ie he is less annoying even if he is not really funnier. Holton is just a comedy fat guy with no comedy to deliver while Hampton is just solid as the father. Nobody si brilliant but they are OK, with Fox leading the way well.

Not a great film by any means, Teen Wolf does have a certain charm to it. It needs more laughs to it but there is fun to be had and the plot at least flows rather than stutters and, in Fox and Ursitti, the cast make it a bit more engaging than the material should be.

Great movie, the ending is classic

Author: dcarus
9 May 2002

Anyone else ever get emotional at the end of this movie? It may seem overly sensitive to get choked up about an ending like that but that is why Michael J. Fox is great. No other actor could have pulled off that ending in a movie like this. Everything about the ending is perfect. There is no doubt that the ending was the typical happy ending to fun and goofy 80's movie but I always thought the ending of the movie had a little extra special feeling to it. From the moment that the second foul shot goes in and Amy Holland's Shooting for the Moon begins until the screen goes from freeze frame w/ MJF being held in his dad's arms while he kisses the head of Boof to black as the credits roll is a stretch of great emotion for the viewer in my opinion. The Amy Holland song is excellent and I have it on MP3 and burned the song to my best movie soundtracks mix. The whole ending to that movie always is great no matter how many times you've seen it. There are so many awesome things about that ending but I'll spare everyone my babbling about all of the great things that transpire at the end of this movie. Criticize its so called "cheesiness," as some people eluded to in other comments, all you like but each person who is critical of and concentrated on that aspect is just being sheltered about the child that is inside of everyone. Come on people just let loose and enjoy a true feel good movie with the classic storybook ending that all humans want to see. Why does everything always have to be realistic?! This movie is an enduring classic film from the 80's and deserves more credit that it has received over the years.

"When your shooting for the moon and finally make it. I guess a lucky star is shining on you. The candle on the cake is yours so take it, make another wish it's sure to come true. Isn't that the way you do it? Maybe I could do it to..."-Amy Holland, Shooting For The Moon, Teen Wolf main theme song, 1985.

Poor Kid. He had to turn into a werewolf to raise his self-esteem.

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
20 April 2004

Teen Wolf is really one of the cheesiest horror comedies of it's day, and sometimes, that cheesiness factor depreciates the enjoyability factor. I think it's winds up being a love it or hate it movie. I'm still mixed about it, loving some of the characters (smart ass styles), a few of the sequences (werewolf transformation at unexpected moments), and a bit of the music. But Michael J. Fox turns his character, Scott Howard, into the epitome of hopeless nerd (though not looking like one), even though he's more of just a quiet kid who's not popular or anything like that, and that, for me, makes the movie often difficult to appreciate, despite the little goodies scattered throughout.

Scott Howard has an identity crisis. Uh...he's a werewolf. Howl at the moon, scratch behind his ears. The whole bit, thanks to werewolves being a long part of his family lineage. For a kid like Scott Howard, high schooler who's a fairly poor basketball player and super shy around the girls, this is bad news. His self-esteem is shot altoghether, especially when his inner wolf makes an appearance in a big way...during a game on the basketball court.

But, maybe being a teen wolf isn't so bad afterall because with the fur and fangs, Scott has also developed something of an alter ego, allowing him to do things he couldn't as just plain Scott Howard. Now, he's an individual. And with that, he's popular, he can play basketball, he can breakdance, he gets good grades, and he can even surf on top of a moving vehicle without falling off. Scott Howard seems to have it all.

But Boof (Susan Ursitti), Scott's closest friend and the girl who really likes Scott (more than his superficial infatuation with the popular girl Pamela Wells (Lori Griffin), encourages Scott to get rid of the wolf image. It was fun for a while, but what she admired was the real Scott. This being in part a romantic comedy, Scott will soon realize that Booth is really the girl for him, and being the wolf is turning him into something he's not, or at least not something he's proven that he could do on his own. As many of these films always teach the viewers, Scott's got to learn to gain some self-confidence in himself is he's ever going to expect to do things the teen wolf Scott can do (only without being a wolf). In other words, he'd probably be able to do just what teen wolf could do, if he could only muster up the guts to try hard enough. And Boof is just the proper guidance he needs to realize that.

Teen Wolf...too bad it was so damned sentimental. If Scott wasn't so horribly nerdy and uptight, then the characters could've had a little fun with the story, maybe even using some stupid humor. Heck, for a theme repeated so many times, you've got to be creative. One of the few treats in the movie, however, is Jerry Livine as Scott's friend Stiles who finds Scott's wolf dilemma to be an excellent money making opportunity. Stiles is always a guy who's looking for a good time, anyways. And hell, this is also one of Matt Adler's earliest appearances as Louis, Scott's timid friend. The music is kind of good too, for 80s dance and rock.

Unfortunately, they even made a sequel to this dumb movie.

Charming Michael J. Fox

Author: SnoopyStyle
11 April 2014

Scott Howard (Michael J. Fox) is an average student and an average basketball player on a very bad school team. Popular girl Pamela Wells doesn't care for him. His best friend is the girl Boof (Susan Ursitti) who is secretly in love with him. His other best friend Stiles (Jerry Levine) is a talkative schemer. He is slowly showing signs of something. His father Harold (James Hampton) tells him that their family are werewolves. When he shows his true self on the basketball court, the students surprise by showering him with love as they win games. Even Pamela starts to like the popular Scott angering her boyfriend Mick. However it's not all smooth sailing as he struggles to find his identity.

This is a very average teen movie. Michael J. Fox is the only thing that make this compelling. He has a charm that makes this silly concept watchable. There is a good message underneath with Scott trying to figure out his identity like all teenager movie. It's not as stupid as one might think but we're not talking about Shakespeare either.

Teen Wolf

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
1 February 2014

In the same year that Fox became a superstar going back to the future he also had this little werewolf gem creep out. The title says its all really in its brilliant cheesy way, a typical 80's film title. Young teen Fox slowly discovers that he is in fact a werewolf and its been in the family for generations.

In all honesty this is your very standard cheeky 80's high school romp which was the staple diet of many classic comedians throughout the 70's and 80's. The twist in this of course is the supernatural element which is simply a play on the effects of puberty, swapping spots for claws. Its all here as you would expect, the sexy blonde everybody lusts after, the plain brunette our hero never notices, the party obsessed crazy ass best friend, the quiet sensible best friend, the bully, the fat kid, the token black guy (lemonade...awesome character name) and various amusing stereotypical teachers. The best easily being the carefree gum chewing basketball coach.

So if you put the predictable teen antics to one side what are the wolf antics like? Well its pretty darn sweet as a matter of fact, and what's more amazing is the makeup effects on show are really quite good. The little sequence of Fox turning into the wolf has clearly been influenced by 'An American Werewolf in London' and its a really well done moment. Its not scary or gruesome in any of course but it still does look quite realistic utilising simple effects and quick editing. His father in wolf mode doesn't look quite as good admittedly, more like a greying woodland animal with puffed up hair.

There isn't all that much wolf action so to speak, its mostly more silly high school antics but in wolf mode. Wolf mode gives our hero greater strength, better vision, brains etc...the guy becomes a super werewolf and aces everything in school whilst becoming a ladykiller (not literately). The main events of the film are based around the high school basketball games in which Fox's character usually sucks but naturally as a werewolf he's turned the game on its head. This film actually got me into basketball for a time, it introduced me to the game, because of this I bought NBA Jam hehe.

The game segments are really good fun and as the film climaxes it does get a little emotional I can't deny. The game montage accompanied by Mark Safan's 'Win in the End' is glorious mainly down to that corking track. Funny how the underneath of Fox's arms didn't have any werewolf hair applied, always obvious when he raises his arms.

I think people can relate to this film in many ways, certain characters despite them being cliché, the problems of popularity, loneliness, bullying, sexuality etc...usual teen stuff. In all fairness this film doesn't really differ much from the vast array of fast food American high school flicks out there, the werewolf angle is only a different representation of teen angst. It shouldn't really be a good film but somehow it is, what you see isn't original and there aren't any dazzling special effects, its more a character/school based fantasy which is simply a good fun little ride. Attractive performances all round especially from Levine as Stiles and a wicked soundtrack make this a solid cult gem.

8.5/10