IMDb > The Stuff (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Can't get enough of The Stuff

Author: adam-duffy from Canada
3 November 2015

This one I remember watching on a Betamax, and it's high score is somewhat influenced by nostalgia. Tho it is a fun classic, with oddball heroes and an interesting creature(the Stuff) that evokes elements of Body Snatchers/the Blob. It's also similar to such movies as They Live with its social commentary submerged into its storyline. The theme of consumerism consuming us takes on a literal form in this fun film. It's one of those movies I watched over and over again as a kid, so definitely recommend it for a watch by anybody that like a dose of humour with their horror...my personal favourite was Chocolate Chip Charlie, just as quotable as Nada from they live...

The American movies was in decline in the 80s Devil dominated screens

Author: eban1981 from Brazil
12 October 2014

I don't have good childhood memories which movie went released on TV here into Brazil earlier 1989. nowadays comes to be fun that's Chocolate's scene and him dog was mutilated by devilish dessert.

however, the cinema of the 80s, was the instrument of creating screenplays, horror trash type, using all any thing: cars, trucks, buses, homes, foodstuffs, and even video games and an ambulance and a

what I think about these movies that I think the fifth category, clumsy, it seemed that America was becoming a decadent country and it seemed that they could not raise money or rummage the glamor of cinema of the 40s and 50s that the to be noted, American cinema had this crossbow obsession that everything had to explode and catch fire. (cheesy, eyeore,stupid and dork attitude of the screenplayers of that era) everything must have explodes,burst on the screens, is good for a poor audience content. it works here mainly in Brazil. .unbearable,awful! it seemed an appellative measured to reduce the costs of production combined with extremely poor scripts with these awful soundtracks punk rock, it seemed that the cast does not take showers, no cleanliness, seems: stinking creatures, ridiculous costumes. Poverty and lousy actors acting ... up to ... which, come the 90s, when last iconic Holllywood Stars: ... Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, MattDamon, Mel Gibson, Mellanie Griffith, Meg Ryan, Michelle Pffeifer, Demi Moore, Julia Roberts, Jodie Foster arises, Sharon Stone, Gwyneth Paltrow and other movie stars would not fit in the comment. They changed the very landscape of moviegoers. who became the great promises of glamor Hollywood cinema which recovered the prestige of 50s American cinema Something like applying the sensuality of actresses.It was the latest glamorous Hollywood's flicks decade.

Except for in that movie, has a reasonable script, and I see nothing, of Stardom their profile on face but actors and their performances are bad,very bad! It gets me angry.One of those 80's Classic Trash movies, I prefer'Amityville 3D', at least there I meet Meg Ryan performing the spiritistic seance. With a pretty consistent acting.

The Stuff

Author: d_m_s from United Kingdom
3 July 2014

What started out with the appearance of a fun 80's flick in the style of The Blob quickly degenerated into a badly directed, badly edited film with poor special effects. Add to this the ultra cheesy and clichéd ending and you end up with a really poor film.

It's a totally daft storyline - man finds some white stuff in the arctic ice, randomly decides to eat it and the next thing you know it's a packaged product taking over America. Turns out this stuff is alive and somehow turns people into addicts who then want to turn you into an addict of The Stuff and if you don't join them they don't like it. There's no explanation to any of this and it's all completely random. I could forgive the daftness if at least it was fun to watch but it isn't, as noted above.

Some weird stuff.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
4 December 2013

This was one of those movies I've seen only once and the only time I've seen it was when I was a little kid. At that time, I remembered that I wasn't too scared of this film, but creaped out at the yogurt-type stuff that the characters consumed, followed by them being invested by the product. According to the plot, this is a story about a new delicious, goo that oozes from the Earth and is marketed as a dessert sensation. But, once consumed, the treat starts turning people in zombies.

As my parents and I recalled, this was a pretty silly movie, but with pure horror/sci-fi entertainment. It's not a masterpiece, just a funny flick to watch on a very slow day.

Grade B-

Reasonably fun Stuff.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
10 October 2012

I don't know about you, but if I saw a sticky white substance oozing out of the ground, the last thing I'd do would be to scoop some up with my hand and give it a taste, but that's precisely what the workman who discovers it does in Larry Cohen's B-movie horror The Stuff; before long, the surprisingly delicious goop has been approved by the FDA and is being marketed as a dessert—not a wise decision since The Stuff is actually a living organism that takes control of those who become addicted to its irresistible flavour.

A tongue-in-cheek sci-fi/horror that takes wry swipes at greedy corporations and consumerism, whilst also acting as a metaphor for drug addiction, Larry Cohen's The Stuff boasts a level of intelligence rarely found in trashy B-movie monster films. This satirical content and social commentary, combined with the patently silly premise and some impressive special visual and gore effects (considering the low budget) makes for a pretty enjoyable little flick, one that has achieved quite the cult following, although I reckon I would have liked it more if the characters had been just a little less irritating...

Michael Moriarty's ex-FBI industrial spy David 'Mo' Rutherford is an unlikable jerk with an annoying accent; his girlfriend Nicole (Andrea Marcovicci) is a talentless hack and yet has somehow made it to the top of the ladder in advertising (her TV ads are really bad, even for the 80s); token kid Jason (Scott Bloom) is a brat and seemingly bereft of brain cells (who the hell hides inside a tanker trailer?); 'Chocolate Chip' Charlie (Garrett Morris) is a bitter loud-mouthed failure; and the less said about Colonel Malcolm Grommett Spears (Paul Sorvino), the better. In short, it's a raft of characters I would have been only to happy to see consumed from the inside by a hostile organism masquerading as yogurt. Sadly, only 'Chocolate Chip' gets his just desserts.

I always want Mo'....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
27 July 2012

Industrial spy and former FBI agent David 'Mo' Rutherford is hired by executives of the ice-cream industry to disclose the recipe of the successful yogurt like dessert called the Stuff.

With Nicole, the head of the Stuff's advertising campaign; and a boy named Jason, who refused to eat it after his family became consumed, Mo tries to prove that the Stuff is a malevolent, possibly sentient, natural substance that is trying to take over the minds of the population of Earth.....

So the film is about a pudding that kills people by coming back out of them, okay it's a silly premise, but then it's a silly B-movie which should never ever be taken seriously.

But the problem is that it's just not funny enough to stand above other B-movies. There is a random character called Chocolate chip, who turns up every now and again, being loud, and he is there for comic relief, and a great special effect at the end, but not much else.

The cast are fine in a 'we know it's a silly movie' and the effects are perfunctory, and it passes the time nice enough, but it just isn't bonkers enough to live up to it's concept.

Can't get enough of the Stuff!

Author: Koosh_King01 from North Carolina
1 July 2012

A new taste sensation is sweeping the nation! The Stuff, a creamy white dessert with an addictive taste, is the most popular food in the country. Good news for the Stuff's apparent creator, businessman Mr. Fletcher, as well as all its fans (called "Stuffies"), but not so good for a little boy named Jason. Poor Jason sees the Stuff moving by itself in the fridge one night, and concludes it is alive and therefore unsafe to eat. But his parents and older brother won't listen, and become increasingly more creepy toward him as they make gradually more threatening attempts to make Jason eat it.

In the meantime, other food company owners, being put out of business by Fletcher's wonder product, hire former FBI agent turned industrial spy David "Mo" Rutherford to deduce the secret ingredients of the Stuff. To this end he woos Fletcher's ad campaign lady, Nicole, and even secures a job at the company as head of security. By happenstance he also runs into, and more or less adopts, Jason after running across the boy who is being chased by his by-now borderline homicidal family.

Together, Mo, Jason and Nicole discover the horrible truth about the Stuff. It isn't made: it bubbles right out of the very Earth itself! Worse, as Jason already knew, it is alive and takes over the minds and bodies of everyone who eats it. Finding help in the form of the mentally unhinged Colonel Spears and his militia, who believe the Stuff is a Communist plot, our heroes have to stop the evil dessert from conquering the world! The Stuff is a fun sendup of old B-movies like The Blob and Invasion of the Body Snatchers with a fun cast of characters. The special effects are a hoot, too, particularly with regard to the Stuff-possessed people. When injured or killed, they "bleed" Stuff, and sometimes, the sentient white glop decides it wants to leave a host, resulting in the hilariously gross sight of characters violently puking Stuff all over. A weak human villain and some really choppy editing keep it from being truly wonderful, but overall it's a cute little flick.

Extremely Cheesy and Extremely Entertaining

Author: K. Emerton from United States
21 March 2012

The Stuff "Enough is never Enough." This movie is a great definition of a B-Horror movie from the '80s. It starts with a short scene in the beginning that introduces the movie (much like "My Bloody Valentine"). "The Stuff" is found bubbling out of the ground like oil and as soon as someone eats it, they become addicted. When they are in attack mode, the "Stuffy's" as called by Mo', act almost like Zombies, chasing after the characters who are trying to uncover the secret of the Stuff. The movie plays out with comic action scenes. One kid (the generic 80's horror kid, if you will) is the only one who knows that The Stuff can kill. He finds this out after an extremely 80's horror scene where he sees it move in the refrigerator. If you are a huge fan of bad movies, you will certainly get addicted to The Stuff.

Pretty good satire

Author: sgtking from United States
27 December 2008

Though the effects have improved since, the spirit of the 1950s Science Fiction films has lived on in many classic films. And who better to give us a throwback to those movies than cult movie maker Larry Cohen? Having already impressed with his 'It's Alive' films and 'Q' I'm sure fans were looking forward to this stab at 1980s materialism and addiction. Sure it didn't set the box office on fire and the reviews weren't exactly glowing, but the film has enjoyed a small following for years and is still a enjoyable romp today.

Pros: Great idea for a movie. Performances are good all around. Some of the effects work really well. Moves at a good pace. Good sense of humor. Excellent musical score. A decent satire on consumerism and addiction. Some chills.

Cons: Some of the effects haven't aged well. Feels like the concept wasn't taken to it's full potential. Does seem a tad rushed in the final third.

Final thoughts: Not a masterpiece of the genre, but a better than average mid-80s cult film that hasn't lost it's power to entertain and amuse. It's due for a special edition DVD and though this remake craze has gotten out of hand, this is actually one of the few films that could truly benefit from a remake. The possibilities now are endless.

My rating: 3.5/5

* * * out of 4

Author: Bleeding-Skull from Review Land
9 January 2008

Industrial spy and former FBI agent David 'Mo' Rutherford is hired by executives of the ice-cream industry to disclose the recipe of the phenomenally successful marshmallow- and yogurt-like desert called the Stuff. Somehow, its consumers become addicted in the product, and competitors want the formula. With the support of Nicole, the the designer of the Stuff's advertising campaign; and a boy named Jason, who refused to eat it after his family became consumed, Mo tries to prove that the Stuff is a malevolent, possibly sentient, natural substance that is trying to take over the minds of the population of Earth.

Exciting and funny little Cohen film is a throwback to the horror films of yesteryear, yet with all your usual Cohen trimmings, but much more solid then usual with good special effects and an original premise. The cast is excellent and the film has various cameo's planted throughout the film.

Rated R for Violence and Profanity.

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]