IMDb > Stick (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Stick

Stick More at IMDbPro »

Burt Reynolds returns as Stick!

Author: tgreene_msp from Northeastern US
15 December 2001

This movie is based on Elmore Leonard's novel of the same name, but for those looking for the novel while waiting for the movie to reappear on television or on order from Amazon, don't bother, unless you're a fan of Elmore Leonard's work. While Mr. Leonard should be given more than due credit for his adaptation to movie, the real work was done by Mr. Reynolds, who plays the character true to form.

I have to admit that one reason I love this film is because of its leading lady. Ms. Bergen seems to be able to play her own character in this film, rather than playing off Burt's character. Two of the best scenes are the one where she sums up the movie producer's porposal as fraud, and of course the intimate scene in her bedroom with Burt's character.

I am old enough to remember when this movie came out in the theaters. One review in a popular men's magazine at the time panned the movie, largely faulting Burt's performance (as I interpreted the review). Having been a fan of Mr. Reynolds films for many years, I was glad to see that he didn't seem to take such reviews to heart at the time, and continues to entertain us, even today.

80's flick, that entertains.

Author: Alberto (a_genda) from México.
24 June 2001

The Good Stuff:

Candice Bergen looks gorgeous. Small role by David Reynoso. The late Dar Robinson as the "Albino Hitman". The Albino Hitman falling to his death while emptying his six shooter looks real cool.

The Bad Stuff:

Charles Durning in a blond wig is really hard to take (those crazy looking eyebrows!).

The Verdict:

Typical 80's flick with lots of flashy cars, drug dealers, one colorful hitman, directed by Mr. Reynolds, that even if looking dated manages to entertain.

I paid a dollar for the VHS copy

Author: duke1907 from Hercules, Ca
24 March 2006

A few years ago I was working at Blockbuster Video and bought this movie brand new for $1.00 on VHS. It was worth it. Most people don't like this movie, but I have a certain fondness for it. I am a huge Elmore Leonard fan and also a Burt Reynolds fan so I liked it. I admit that it has flaws like Candice Bergen's wooden performance. But it has two great acting jobs by Charles Durning and the late stuntman Dar Robinson as the albino hit-man Moke. His performance is truly terrifying. It is terrific when Burt taunts him as Bunny Eyes. Durning is also great as a red haired drug dealer. There are a few good action scenes at the beginning and then at the end. The middle of the film drags. If only the intensity of the beginning could be kept up to the finish this would have been a great film.

Whadya lookin' at, Mookie?

Author: Fred Manteghian from Connecticut, USA
13 September 2004

I agree with Chuck O'Leary from Pittsburg. I loved this movie. In fact, in the mid-80's it was one of the first VHS tape productions that made my sorry old Samsung (1973) look good! I ran the sound in "hi-fi stereo" through my stereo rig and this was my first home theater (don't laugh!). Anyway, the story is good and if you like Burt, well, you have to see the movie. Unfortunately, no DVD out yet, nor any great demand. But, hey, if Green Ice can be released on DVD, can Stick be far behind?

Things to look for on the (eventual) DVD . . . the many fine Florida sunsets. There's lots of "perfect lighting" in this movie, with both exterior and interior shots. The bad guys are sufficiently deserving of your verbal lashing. Finally the soundtrack is very mood inducing but not ornate. Think Miami Vice meets Live or Die in LA. I'd give the movie as a whole, 7 out of 10 stars, especially considering its age.

Oh one last thing, very important. Hit the mute button when Candice Bergman starts to sing. Life's too short. . . .

Great thriller with a classic Bad Guy

Author: bobbyf from United States
18 February 2009

Step aside Darth Vader. Meet the new best movie villain ever, Moke. Villain Moke is right up there with Vader, the Kurgin, and other great movie villains. For Dar Robinson's performance as Moke, alone, this movie is a must-see. Burt plays Stick, a fresh-out-of-prison con trying to make over his life. He gets unwillingly sucked back into the underworld and has to fight to survive. Dar Robinson, stuntman extraordinaire, puts in a fantastic performance as Moke- an albino hit-man who has it in for Stick. There are some amazing scenes in this movie, and I think it may be one of Burt's best performances- if not the best.

Not a bad film at all!

Author: Anthony Bannon (bannonanthony) from Annalong, N. Ireland
14 October 2005

This is the first film of Burt Reynolds' I have seen that he directed as well as starred in. Yes, some elements of the story are clunky but overall STICK is very enjoyable. Reynolds gives an excellent performance as always. Charles Durning is quite good as Chucky but is let down by the very obvious wig he is wearing for the part (at least I HOPE it's a wig). George Segal and Candice Bergen are both good as well, but it's strange how Reynolds and Bergen immediately get into a romance.

Stuntman Dar Robinson also makes a memorable villain as albino hit-man Moke. Since he was a stuntman I guess that means he did all his own stunts for the movie, which makes it even more cool. Very few stuntmen are good actors but Robinson plays the part well. The only problem is we don't see enough of him. The BIG bad guy, Nester, is played brilliantly too, but the actor's name escapes me right now. There's also a lovely song played over the end credits. I'm interested in reading the Elmore Leonard book this film was based on. I'm sure it and the film may be very different, but I still give the movie STICK a thumbs-up. I think it should get a DVD release.

Burt Reynolds comes back to the top as Stick!

Author: ary luiz dalazen jr. (ajr@fortalnet.com.br)
12 November 1998

Burt Reynolds has in Stick the opportunity to come back in interpreting the kind of character that consecrated him:the cynic,charmous and irresponsible anti-hero.Once the movie was based on an Elmore Leonard's book,whose works are known due it's unics,rotters and ambiguous characters,he has the possibility to exaggerate on the creation of the movie's protagonists.The simpleton plot offers a simple and passing diversion.Burt Reynolds is Ernest Stickley, an ex-com who just have been set free and who gets involved in a hard situation after going with his friend to accomplish a drug transaction in a desert place.His friend is murdered,but he escapes and now he wants revenge.He ends up becoming an employee and protected of a millionaire,and,while weaving his revenge,he gets emotionally involved with his boss'secretary,Kyle(Candice Bergen).If this film has a trump card,it is adapting faithfully the Elmore Leonard's book.The film counts with a terrific final climax,stuffed with shooting and a beautiful final scene,underlined by a beautiful music called Ï don't think I'm ready for you"...

Elmore Leonard is a superb storyteller

Author: Benjamin Wolfe from USA
12 July 2006

I know that many people have mixed feelings about this story. Once I saw a comedian on the cable comedy channel using 'stick' to slam in his act, of the worst Burt Reynolds movies ever. But I contend, even so with Burt at the helm of this 'ship', that the story was told by a master at story creating and telling. He (Leonard) has not liked almost all the adaptations to the screen from his books with the exception of 'Get Shorty' which, well...how do you beat that one??? At any rate, the story I liked, there was enough to keep me 'into it'. Even though I like a lot of different movies, I don't like every movie I see.

This was a right-cut for Burt Reynolds I thought. He pulled the character off, in the manner in which he does, in 'waves'. He's had mono-tone performances and out and out wild ones too.

Whatever the critics think or say, there was a great cast and the location was perfect as well. I can live with this Burt-directed story from 1985, heck why not, it was the eighties.

Could have been a lot better

Author: haythalk from United Kingdom
17 December 2009

Having read some of the comments from other users and some of the reviews, this film has come in for some criticism. Whilst some of the comments are fair, I think it's important to take into context the life of this film. Another user has already pointed out that Reynolds was suffering with TMJ at the time of the release and had a few flops before hand, so his star was on the wane. However, this movie was supposed to have been released in 1984 and initial filming (judging by many scenes) indicate Reynolds was in good health. Somehow the studio didn't like the first cut of the film,not enough action,too slow,not good for box office. However, the film as a character piece may well have been quite interesting and judging by the first 15 minutes which were excellent,less studio meddling would have more beneficial in this case. Reynolds did not want to make an all out action film but the studios panicked and asked for re-shoots. By this time though, Reynolds had lost a lot of weight due to the TMJ problems and was clearly neither in the physical or mental state to shoot these extra scenes. As a result, we have a number of scenes where Reynolds is markedly thinner than in other scenes. This creates a very disjointed look and obviously doesn't help the film at all. It would be very interesting to see the original cut as Reynolds intended - i'm certain it would have ended up being a far better movie than the result we got. As it stands, I think Stick has some very good moments and some very sub-standard moments. The good are the first 15 minutes,especially the scene with Mokey,Rainy and Stick in the van - nice tense atmosphere in the van, well directed. Other good scenes are when Stick has to remove the ex-driver from the party ('now say goodnight' as he poured gasoline over his face and flicks out a lighter), the mo-key death scene (a superb stunt and not bettered for many years),the scenes with Candice Bergen and Burt (i thought they quite effective). The sub-standard are the poor editing, healthy Burt, v.ill Burt..it's very obvious.Some of the action scenes,especially where sticks stops and waits for mo-key to catch up? the training sequences - why show that, is this Rocky..bit of vanity for Mr Reynolds there i think. The ending was a bit weak..i don't think it was originally intended to be like that - i haven't read the book, so i could be wrong but again we had ill Burt in this scene. In conclusion, this movie could have been a lot better that it was but due to a number of circumstances it turned out to be an fairly average Burt Reynolds thriller. Could have been another Sharkeys but not meant to be. A shame really, now where is that original cut?

"You got some balls."

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
3 January 2011

Burt Reynolds's really made an impression with his smartly catered cop thriller "Sharky's Machine" and four years later he churn out another directorial crime outing. Maybe not as effective and complete, but still acceptable time filler. The story is penned by the reliable Elmore Leonard, who has a knack for building crime and character interactions within a busy framework. That's were I found it to peter out at times, as there seems too be so much going on and from that it can get a little distracted. It starts off strong, but then it goes wayward and stalls too often. Reynolds' sober direction seemed rather uneven in trying to balance out the explosively grimy moments with the uneasy comic relief. The film was more character driven (likeable relationships are struck or quick fuses erupt) and held together by its plot developments, but the script just didn't bite hard enough and its ending is quite lousy. Gladly the performances stand-up; namely that of the support cast. Where the bad guys are truly vile. Dar Robinson (who's mainly a stuntman) is magnificently threatening as the albino hired killer. A true scene stealer. While he hands out some nasty punishment and the gravel voice strikes fear. Alone just looking at him is frightening enough. Charles Durning playing a scummy low-life crook sticks out with his loud, bright Hawaiian shirts, feathered hair and wild bushy eyebrows. It's hard to take your eyes off either one. Leading the way in the bad guys is a dashing Castulo Guerra. You know the man with the power… the one you don't want to get on the wrong side of. To go with that, he's quite spiritual, but with a mean-streak. Burt Reynolds' character finds himself stuck in the middle of this trio when after getting out of prison he joins a buddy on job involving some of Miami's lowlife criminals. However it's a set-up, where his friend is killed and he is soon targeted. So he seeks payback, but on the other side of the coin he wants to go straight so he can catch up with daughter. Reynolds plays it with that laconically tough shade and knowing attitude, letting his charm carry him along. His weapon of choice seems to be his smartarse lines… physical wise gasoline or matches… that you only get disappointed when he can't get a hold of one of these objects. The next best thing was death by scorpion. Another scene stealer would be George Segal as a cheerfully naïve millionaire that loves the company of criminals. Some sequences with him were priceless. Also showing up is Candice Bergen (the love interest), Jose Perez and Alex Rocco. Clunky, but amusing.