IMDb > Sheng dan qi yu jie liang yuan (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A madcap romp, fun in places

Author: MikeA from Isle of Man, British Isles
4 October 2001

I gave this a try because it stars Maggie Cheung, one of my favourite Chinese actresses. An early role for the near Miss Hong Kong, she's obviously having fun in a film that unfortunately can only be described as a ‘madcap romp'.

There's a bomb hidden inside a soft drink can, and a pair of Japanese terrorists (Eddie Ko and the wonderfully monikered Elvis Tsui) are trying to find it. They suspect three oddball characters know the bomb's location and try to track them down. The consequences are possibly hilarious if you know Chinese, but with only the non-remastered subtitles I presume a lot is lost in translation.

Still, it's fun in places. Cheung's bubbly charisma counts for a lot, almost making up for her two underperforming co-stars (Lam and Sham, both of whom are completely forgettable).

Even With Maggie, Its Not Worth It

Author: crossbow0106 from United States
16 August 2008

This is one of Maggie's first films (she is billed as Margaret Cheung) and its about someone inventing an explosive in a soda can and looking to sell the idea to a few Japanese men. The creator's assistant has a conscience, tries to tell the police and is shot. Maggie (as Cat) is one of the three that witness this. The killers now have to chase her as well as the other two. Even given the slapstick which was and to a point still is prevalent in Hong Kong film, this film was annoying. It was shrill, too silly and kind of pointless. I wanted to laugh but could not really find a reason to. Maggie has been so much better in other films. Actually, when you think about it, it would be difficult to name another actress from anywhere who has built up this impressive a resume since 1980 (maybe Meryl Streep, but I'd pit Maggie against her any day). The film maker tries, but its too muddled a film, improbable and uninspired. Maggie was cutting her acting teeth on this one and, unless you want to see every film she has been in, you can avoid this one.