IMDb > Santa Claus (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

A magical movie

Author: Jody_Buchan (Jody_Buchan@hotmail.com) from Central Scotland
4 December 2004

I don't care who you are, this movie is a fun and magical experience for all ages. The actors are superb in their roles and their songs and characters will win your heart.

This movie may have been filmed almost 20 years ago but it still carries the message today that it did then. That Christmas should be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of creed, colour or persuasion. I defy anyone, who actually HAS a heart, not to like this movie. I first saw it when I was 3 years old and to this day, I have watched it every year thereafter on Christmas eve.

To me, this film holds the very feeling of Christmas. All you need do is watch it. And no matter where you are, no matter what time of year it is, from start to finish...

it's Christmas.

Pure enjoyment

Author: drdan4c from USA
13 December 2004

Me thinks folks protest too much! Sit back, relax and enjoy this cute little movie. The plot is good. The actors do a very nice job of "being" their characters. Villains are vile and heroes are worthy. There is a continual ebb and flow with who is winning, good or evil. Good wins over evil. The scenery is is beautiful and fanciful. The effects are nifty and somewhat corny. What more could one ask for a short period of fantasy flight from the cares of the world? Don't worry about fitting it into today's "problems with society section." Avoid seeing discussions of drug problems, violence in the world, sex in the city. Don't consider deep, hidden meanings. Just have some popcorn, turn down the lights, get into your comfy chair and enjoy yourself. This is a movie made for the cold winter nights.

I loved this film!!

Author: hungrycaterpillar from Edinburgh, SCOTLAND
22 October 2002

I have long lasting memories of this film from when I was very small. It was on the television every Christmas, and my sister and I loved. At one point we actually taped it and watched it again and again and again. In fact, most of my generation loved it. OK, so it is badly done, and the plot is predictable and a bit thin, but remember it is designed for kids and was made in the early 80's. A grown adult watching it for the first time would hate it and think it is just a pile of rubbish, that is how I feel about Barbie & the Nutcracker Prince, but kids seeing that when it first came out loved it!!

A Christmas treat!

Author: robman-5 from Vancouver, Canada
20 November 2001

While this movie admittedly has its detractors I personally am NOT one of them. It's utterly charming. Among it's strengths-it's perfectly cast, all the way from Dudley Moore on down to the extras. The sets are breathtaking, and the music is engaging (including Sheena Easton's beautiful "Christmas All Over the World"). With all this movie has going for it it does have its drawbacks. The first half definitely works better than the latter. It seems almost as if they were trying to make 2 movies for the price of 1, and that does detract from the overall effect. It gets a bit confusing once it hits the half-way point but it is still worth seeing all the way through. It's the sort of movie that can still hold up after repeated viewings. You can watch it with your kids, or make a guilty pleasure out of watching it by yourself. Either way do yourself a favor and watch it.

Wonderful adaptation of the world's greatest legend.

Author: AprilLust from Fairview, Tennessee
28 March 2002

I have seen this movie every Christmas since I was a child, and I believe it brings explanations of how the fable of Santa Claus, and all of the childhood beliefs came to be. It may be a watered down version of Willy Wonka, but it had great effects for the 1980's, and it brings out the child and Christmas spirit in everyone. It is a grade above Ernest Saves Christmas ( I love watching it as well on a comical basis) especially when it comes to the story line and characters. Dudley Moore was wonderful as Patch the elf, and delivered a great performance without being a drunk or married to two women. It's movie of morals, and the spirit of Christmas.

An amazing film!

Author: wiffyboy1985 from Leeds, England
1 November 2003

Personally, I love this film! I've gone out of my way to buy myself acopy from America (as its not being produced anymore)

I think its a lovely film for kids and adults of all ages. I watch it every year on christmas eve. The story is simple and easy to follow, no complicated names/locations, just a good film!

Get yourself a copy. I know eBay regularly stock it!

One to watch 10/10

Matt

Magical

Author: Tom Bixby (marchofthewoodensoldiers_2001@hotmail.com) from Lapland, North Pole [England, really]
20 August 2001

Santa Claus the movie is without a doubt the greatest Christmas movie ever made. This is not to say that its story is one of the greatest ever written, but the film is a stunning piece of seasonal and magical nostalgia for anyone who is enchanted by the its seasonal charm.

David Newman has taken a great deal of criticism for his writing styles. Well, whatever the merits of Newman, he proves with Santa Claus that he CAN write an exciting and entertaining epic for the big screen. His script does have flaws and plot holes, but this could be due to editing of post production. Newman comes up with a lovely entertaining script that doesn't sag once throughout. This is expertly handled by Jeanot Swarzc's luxurious direction. Swarzc lets the actors indulge in what is a Hollywood pantomime. Add to this the movie is backed by one of the most impressive sets for any movie, a wonderful Lapland/Northpole, covered in endless snow, a terrific looking Santa's workshop, some of the greatest costumes ever created for Santa and his friends by the master Bob Ringwood, and finally a wonderful Christmas Time New York. In typical Alexander Salkind style, this all gells together marvellously to bring to us what childhood dreams are made of.

The movie is Dudley Moores as the hero elf Patch. Moore gets to kid about to his hearts consent, and get payed [$4MILLION] for the pleasure. His enthusiasm rubs off on the other cast members, in particular John Lithgow as the evil BZ. A few years earlier BZ could easily have been played by Peter Sellers, today perhaps Rowan Atkinson. For what it is worth Lithgow is hillarious in the role, he is very covincing as a real life scrooge. Plus David Huddleston as Santa. An inspired a choice as Christopher Reeve was as Superman, Huddleston is the ULTIMATE personification of Santa. He is how we remeber him. He even sounds like him. In truth he makes us BELIEVE him.

With all this plus Magic candy, Wonderfull scenery, Top notch acting. Plus the best Flying scenes in motion picture history of Santas reindeers, and patching cars, wich prove to be better than the Salkinds earlier Superman effects, and also Henry Mancini's best ever musical score, a heart warming piece abetted by some good songs from the likes of Leslie Bricuse sung by Sheena Easton,. Santa Cluas IS underated. Have a heart when you watch this movie. Put on Your seatbelt and join Santa in dreamworld.

Thanks to Alexander and Ilya Salkind, Piere Spengler, Jeannot Swarzc and Dudley Moore.

My best childhood memory!

Author: Deirdre McAuley from Ireland
29 September 2003

I can not remember what age I was when I first seen this movie. But I do remember that it used to be played on Irish TV every year on Christmas eve.My best memory from childhood was sitting by the coal fire to let my hair dry and watching this movie.

My favorite part was always when Joe shouts Yo and the raindeer take flight! It still makes me shiver.

I am now 24 and only wish I could get it on DVD here in the UK so I could play it on a regional 2 player. I have a baby on the way and I would love someday for my children to enjoy the wonder of Santa Claus the movie as I did all those years ago.

This film gave me a lot of happy Christmas' Dx

Great family fun !

Author: steed-5 from Parkville, Maryland
23 December 2000

This is a fun movie for the whole family. It is truly the legend of Santa Claus come to life. One of the must see movies for my whole family every Holiday season. Dudley Moore, John Lithgow and David Huddleston are perfect in their respective roles.

Likeable Film for the Whole Family.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
6 August 2002

Under-rated little family film that works due to a couple of over-the-top performances more than anything else. We get a glimpse into the history of the titled character (played by David Huddleston) and his wife (Judy Cornwell) as they make the North Pole their home. Years and years pass and we get to the present-day, but trouble looms as the toys manufactured by elf Dudley Moore (in a wonderful performance) start to fall apart on all the children of the world. Moore feels shame and decides that it would be better to leave. Thus he falls in with evil toy manufacturer John Lithgow (in another fine role) and this is when the fun really starts. Burgess Meredith also has a short, endearing cameo. A production that is tame enough for young children, but is also interesting enough to keep the adults happy as well. Good overall. 4 stars out of 5.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]