IMDb > Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

This is an 80's action film, not the Matrix...

Author: theholmboy from SoJo, Utah
24 August 2003

Look all you movie snobs out there. This is a classic 80's action flick and nothing more. Sure there were some effects, but that is not the focus of the story. It is the interplay between Remo and Chuin that makes this one shine. It has classic and memorable lines. And, it was good enough for major plot points to be stolen later by the writers of the Matrix and Men in Black. If you want better action sequences, see those. If you want to see 80's action in all of its glory, get this one. One last point: It is sad that the DVD doesn't have a Widescreen option.

This movie has it all

Author: martinr from Los Angeles
8 March 2001

This is a classic 80's action flick, with a twist. The two main characters are a kick to watch as the hardboiled New York cop is trained in the ways of the wise master of shinanju. The action scenes are awesome, and there are plenty of laughs as we watch our hero Remo struggle to overcome his fears and vices to become a master of shinanju. Fred Ward as Remo and Joel Grey as Chun really capitalize on the comedic opportunities here. The soundtrack is top-notch, perfectly blending a patriotic hero theme with graceful oriental influences. I highly recommend you take this one home and check it out - it's a lot of fun.

Great movie

Author: logezero from New York, USA
30 November 2004

This is an excellent movie that blurs the line between action/adventure and comedy in the tradition of Big Trouble in Little China. The one-liners from Remo (Fred Ward) Chiun (Joel Grey) and Mr. Smith (Wilford Brimley) are reason enough to see this movie. Some people complained that the martial arts abilities are too unbelievable. However, if you enjoy "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", any James Bond movie, or just about any martial arts movie coming out of Asia, you should have no problem with Remo Williams. The music to the movie is also surprisingly well done. I wholeheartedly recommend this movie to anyone with a trace of humor in their soul. You will not be disappointed.

Very entertaining, yet often misunderstood.

Author: I am Jack's Brain (antigraviton) from Terra
10 July 2003

This movie inspires different reactions from people, depending on the expectations they bring to their first viewing. It's a semi-serious, semi-spoof Action/Comedy/Crime/Thriller/Martial Arts movie that doesn't fit neatly into any category. It is tremendously entertaining, as long as you aren't expecting something totally serious or totally comical. This movie is often misunderstood, and that, coupled with its somewhat-lower-than-average-budget look, may explain why there was no sequel to the movie, which was subtitled in the US "The Adventure Begins." It wasn't quite big-budget enough to satisfy people wanting to see a competitor for James Bond, and it wasn't quite like any other movie enough for people to "get it" right off. Taken at face value as an action movie, therefore, Remo Williams isn't all that noteworthy. However, viewed as an entertaining mixture of action and fun, the movie delivers quite well.

Fred Ward does a fine job as Remo, especially in his scenes with Chiun, his Shinanju master played fantastically by Joel Grey. Some have argued that Ward was too old for the role, which would be debatable even if this were a straight-out action movie; given its true nature, Ward was an excellent choice, and the dynamic between him and Grey makes for some of the most entertaining sequences in the movie.

Joel Grey's Asian "sensei" character stereotype can be forgiven in the context of the semi-spoof, tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie. Chiun's humor shines through his sarcastic commentary about America and Remo; the success of the humor relies on the Korean Shinanju master's strength and ability. Chiun is the most powerful, competent, intelligent, and witty character in the movie. There is also the pleasant story line of Chiun passing on to Remo the legacy of his Shinanju wisdom and knowledge... and wit.

People have also criticized Kate Mulgrew (Star Trek: Voyager) for her performance of Major Rayner Fleming. Overall, her performance is very good, and appropriate for the character, especially before her character meets Remo at Mount Promise. I am still somewhat disappointed, however, to see Major Fleming change from a competent military career-woman into a bewildered character smitten by Remo and Chiun and carried along in their wake. In the role of the army major, Fleming is competent, witty, and believable: an appropriate portrayal of a mid-1980's woman military officer. The directors could have let the character carry that competence through to the end of the movie.

The movie does have some great action sequences, especially the chase around the scaffolding surrounding the Statue of Liberty (remember when they were remodeling it, back in the 80's?), and it is very funny in many places. (See the "memorable quotes" page.) If you watch the movie expecting to have fun and to be entertained, if you suspend your disbelief just a little and don't take it too seriously, you will really enjoy it. It has just enough action, just enough "buddy movie" dynamic, just enough tongue-in-cheek humor, just enough spoof, just enough comic-book type fantasy elements, and just enough enigmatic and amusing martial arts to make it terrifically entertaining. Watch it with your friends on a lazy Saturday afternoon, have some laughs, and be entertained. You'll be glad you did.

Fun, Fun, Fun

Author: Derrick Ferguson from Brooklyn, New York
9 August 2001

I'm not sure, but I bet that if one were to do research on the most shown film on cable/satellite,REMO WILLIAMS would be in the top three. It seems like every month its being shown on Cinemax or The Movie Channel. But that's okay, as long as they keep showing it, I'll keep watching it.

I've read complaints about the movie's bad guy not being bad enough and the story not being big enough and to that, I say hogwash. Not every movie has to have the hero saving mankind from global destruction and Remo's mission may not be global, but its entertaining fun nonetheless. This is a movie best enjoyed on a slow Saturday afternoon when you don't feel like going out and just want to zone out for a few..

Put this one in your VCR and enjoy the absolutely wonderful score by Craig Safan (this movie's got one the best theme songs I've ever heard)The interplay between Fred Ward and Joel Grey (their dialog is side-splittingly funny at times, especially Grey's one-liners) and a pre-Star Trek: Voyager Kate Mulgrew.

An 80's adventure classic

Author: ( from Northridge, California
15 July 2003

I can't believe that I just got around to reviewing Remo Williams. This is again one of those movies that I have been watching forever and this movie deserves repeated viewing. It is a typical corny 80's action flick and it is not mind-blowing in terms of action or special effects but it is a great ride all the same. Fred Ward turns in a great performance as Remo. I've always liked Fred Ward and he's a good underrated character actor. The supporting cast mainly just fills in the blanks but they are all competent actors. The soundtrack sets just the right mood and Joel Grey deserves special praise in the portrayal of Chiun. Chiun is the greatest and toughest character ever to be in any movie ever and Chiun could kick anyone's ass. Since Grey is white and Chiun is a stock Asian character if there ever was one it may bother some people, but I would tell those people just to get over themselves and enjoy the movie. The interplay between Remo and Chiun is funny and they have great chemistry. Bottom Line: This movie rules. I would go ahead and tell you to buy it on DVD but the powers that be have only made it available in full screen so what's the point of even having it on DVD. Damn them. Damn them to hell. Anyways, enjoy.

Remo Williams makes James Bond look like Maxwell Smart...

Author: Brad L. Wooldridge ( from Barry, Texas USA
2 June 1999

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins... is a terrific action/espionage film that rides on the wave of the immensely popular Roger Moore 007 films of the 80s. But, Williams is a decidedly different spy...a policeman who "dies", but is brought back through the miracles of plastic surgery to become Remo Williams, the enigmatic point man for CURE, headed by the wonderful Wilford Brimley as Harold Smith. The true scene stealer in this action-packed, fast-paced film is Joel Grey as the Korean martial/mental arts master, Chiun, who delivers the best lines and performance of the movie. Fred Ward is also good as our hero, who is physically imposing and equally emotionally distraught as Remo Williams.

Highly recommended for action lovers, spy fans, and people who love quirky films that have been lost, but not forgotten.

A good mixture of action and comedy.

Author: Aaron1375
13 March 2003

This is a good movie...about a cop, who is recruited to be part of this secret agency. He is basically recruited there against his will, as he is given a new face and even a new name. It is funny how he gets the name Remo Williams; a lot of thought was put into it. Most of this movie is the training that Remo (play excellently by Fred Ward) must go through to become the agent. His teacher is an old Korean played by Joel Grey who is great in the role. It is funny watching this two do their roles cause they are great and have a very good chemistry on the screen. Most of the action takes place near the end, as Remo has to investigate this guy whom sales weapons and stuff to the military. Great conclusion to this one as there is some good action scenes. Too bad there was never a sequel to this one cause it was a fun movie to watch.

A great Saturday afternoon popcorn movie

Author: krazylegs88 from United States
23 January 2006

So what if the the total package is not up to blockbuster standards. We need these types of film to go and have a great afternoon at the movies where you don't have to think and you can eat a lot of popcorn. I dug the hell out of this movie because it didn't take itself too seriously. It looks like they had a fun time making it and God bless em' for it! You started to get a little idea of the outrageousness of it all when Chiun begins talking about all the other great martial arts as mere shadows compared with his fighting style. And then there's the water-walking or running toward the end of the film. And the super secret organization (with only 3 members!) answering only to the President. What a hoot! But every time I see it on the tube, I'm right there watching it if I can.

Remo Williams is the man, trust me.

Author: mister_a from United States
18 January 2006

Remo Williams (played by Fred Ward of Tremors fame) is the destroyer, a man that learns martial arts from an angry and condescending Korean master named "chiung". I never heard of this movie until I witnessed it on AMC movies today, but when I tell you it's an awesome movie, don't argue with reason, man. The movie is actually inspired by the novel series, "the Destroyer", written mostly by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir, and there are around 105 books to date. This film's got action, adventure, and comedy all in one neat little package. The training segments are righteous, it has a Korean martial arts master that watches soap operas, and even has an explosion or two. I have nothing bad to say here. This movie isn't incredible... it's better than that.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]