IMDb > Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rambo: First Blood Part II

Rambo: First Blood Part II More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 22: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

It's better than the first one...

Author: BigAir from Southampton, England
17 December 1998

I actually quite enjoyed this although I've never been a particularly discerning viewer. I found it pretty exciting and I thought the stunts were very good. Of course it won't tax your brain but then it was never intended to. It does what it sets out to very well.

Typical for its time

Author: Europe86 from Canada
1 July 2005

This movie is a joke and must be one of the worst movies Stallone ever made. This is a typical 80s movie where you have one man destroying the whole army by himself. "First Blood Pt. 2" is very similar to Schwarzenegger's "Commando", but there you have Arnold killing the terrorist while here you have a specific nation showed as the bad guys. This movie is a typical American anti-Soviet propaganda. True, this was the peak of the Cold War, but I'm sick of having Communists or the Nazis always being shown as the enemy. There are so many American movies that have this one thing in common. Why can't there a movie that show Americans as the enemy? Who's going to believe that one lone soldier will destroy the whole army? Do you really think that something like this would have really happened? By the looks of it, an average, brain washed American viewer certainly would.

Rambo: First Blood Part II is definitely a surprisingly an awesome sequel

Author: ivo-cobra8 from Slovenia
6 October 2015

Awesome and very great intense underrated sequel. It Is a very joy great action movie. Action adventure fun with some substance . Different than the first one , but great as an archetypal good versus bad movie. It Is one movie that I always enjoy, Every time I see It. Much Better movie than Rambo III. I love the music score by Frank Stallone "Peace in Our Life" and main Rambo theme from Jerry Goldsmith. Rambo goes back into Vietnam to search for any POW's in the Vietnam Camp. Great action adventure back in to jungle of Vietnam, his new knife Is awesome. Shooting with a bow and arrow, destroying the trucks and vehicle on the bridge was awesome. Killing all Russians with his bare hands and setting traps for them, shooting and bombing the camp with helicopter was awesome joyfully to watch. My third favorite action film in the series that I still love.First Blood and Rambo aka Rambo IV are still my favorite best movies in the series but Rambo: First Blood Part II Is my favorite film on a third place and I don't think It Is a bad movie, It is actually very decent, good movie, very entertaining, wonderful action war movie. They don't make them like this anymore.

Sylvester Stallone and James Cameron wrote script for the sequel of Rambo and Director was George P. Cosmatos who later Directed another underrated Stallone action movie Warner Bros Cannon film Cobra (1986). Stallone wrote a script for Beverly Hills Cop (1984) but he was fired from Paramount for doing so, so he made Cobra instead and that film is still very popular today, just like Rambo: First Blood Part II. Their Is another action war movie Trilogy that Is similar to Rambo: First Blood Part II . Co-writer James Cameron claims that he only wrote the first draft of the script and that Sylvester Stallone made many changes to it. When the film was released, the "political" content of the movie was considered controversial. Many felt the Vietnam conflict was "altered" to look and sound heroic. James Cameron commented that he only wrote the "action" and that Stallone wrote the "politics". Victim of anti-80's propaganda and peoples inability to look past political beliefs. The producers considered teaming up Sylvester Stallone with John Travolta (who was once considered to play Rambo himself in the first film) as Rambo's young partner in rescuing the American POWs. Stallone nixed this idea when he decided it would be better to make the film a solo project.The only film in the Rambo series to be nominated for an Oscar. During a conversation with Julia Nickson in the movie Rambo says '...I am expendable'. Twenty five years after the release of this film, Stallone directed an ensemble cast in a film titled 'The Expendables'. I love Rambo's dialogue at the end from the movie he says "I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!" And also we get introduced into more history in Vietnam and about the POW's in the film Rambo: First Blood Part II (also known as Rambo II or First Blood II) is a 1985 American action film directed by George P. Cosmatos and starring Sylvester Stallone, who reprises his role as Vietnam veteran John Rambo. It is the sequel to the 1982 film First Blood, and the second installment in the Rambo film series. Picking up where the first film left, the sequel is set in the context of the Vietnam War POW/MIA issue; it sees Rambo released from prison by federal order to document the possible existence of POWs in Vietnam, under the belief that he will find nothing, thus enabling the government to sweep the issue under the rug.

The film was on the ballot for the American Film Institute's 100 Years... 100 Cheers, a list of America's most inspiring movies. Entertainment Weekly ranked the movie number 23 on its list of The Best Rock-'em, Sock-'em Movies of the Past 25 Years.

Rambo: First Blood Part II was a major worldwide box office success, as well as the most recognized and memorable installment in the series, having inspired countless rip-offs, parodies, video games, and imitations.

I love this awesome sequel I love it.

10/10 Grade: A Studio: Carolco Pictures Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Richard Crenna,Charles Napier and Steven Berkoff. Director: George P. Cosmatos. Producer: Buzz Feitshans Rated: R Running Time: 1Hrs. 36Mins. Budget: $44.000.000 Box Office: $150.415.432

Never mess with Rambo!

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
1 September 2015

Sylvester Stallone returns one of his most iconic roles, playing Vietnam Veteran John Rambo, who this time returns to Vietnam under orders to take pictures of POWs there. However, Rambo is bent on helping to release them.

Stallone as Rambo proves he is a force to be reckoned with, wiping away enemy combatants left and right as he displays his very formidable set of fighting and survival skills. It was satisfying seeing him deal with these merciless and sadistic creeps like sadistic Vietnamese Captain Vinh (Dana Lee) and his Russian comrade, Lieutenant Colonel Padovsky (Steven Berkoff). Berkoff has always played the part of the lead villain in his movies, and his role is this one makes you continue to love to hate his character.

In addition to the rescue mission, Rambo must also face corruption from his fellow government officials, which adds onto the suspense in the story, and shows that he is one human being that nobody should mess with.

Filmed in a fast pace with plenty of action and tension, it is certainly one of Stallone's most intense performances, in a film that truly depicts some of the horror of the Vietnam War, but also how determined a soldier can get to not leave fellow comrades behind. Despite some of the cheesy acting, it's a very good action flick for some edge-of-your-seat excitement.

Grade B

"Do we get to win this time?"

Author: utgard14 from USA
22 July 2015

Extremely fun sequel to First Blood takes things in a bit more of a comic bookish direction than the first film but it's undeniably entertaining. John Rambo heads back to Vietnam to find POWs and winds up fighting the Vietnamese, the Russians, and an American bureaucrat (Charles Napier). This is one of the all-time great movie sequels. Many consider it to be even better than the first one. It's certainly a lot of fun but I think the first one can be enjoyed on a more serious level than this, while still being entertaining. This one is just sheer popcorn fun. The script, co-written by James Cameron, is full of memorable lines and scenes, with great characters brought to life by a fine cast. Sylvester Stallone and Richard Crenna return from the first movie; both are excellent. Charles Napier makes for an especially slimy villain. Steven Berkoff, George Cheung, Voyo Goric, and Martin 'Cobra Kai' Kove play stereotypical but colorful baddies. Beautiful Julia Nickson steals every scene she's in as Rambo's bad-ass partner and potential love interest. Good score from Jerry Goldsmith. Solid direction from George P. Cosmatos with cinematography from the legendary Jack Cardiff.

This movie put Rambo out there as a cultural icon and, in that way, it does surpass the original. Following this there were Rambo toys, a cartoon series, video games, and comic books. If you were a little boy in the '80s, chances are you were a Rambo fan. Many people don't care for this movie and it goes beyond the usual "too good for action movies" film snob crowd. As with the Missing in Action series, a lot is made from certain corners about how these types of movies were offensive to the families of real POWs. I don't agree because I find nothing inherently offensive about fictional stories using real-life events, nor am I quick to find something in everything to be upset about like some are. What is fantasy without wish fulfillment, after all, and how many people back then wished our government had handled the war and the POW situation differently?

Anyway, this is an exciting actioner that I think few fans of such movies will find fault with. It's well-crafted and certainly good-looking. The action scenes are wonderful. Yeah there are improbabilities, contrivances, and a high cheese factor. But it's all just so much fun I really don't think you will care much. It's the '80s action movie by which all other '80s action movies are judged.

Much more a pure action film than it's predecessor, but still an excellent movie.

Author: DamianThorn from United States
10 June 2014

First blood was a very poignant look into the mind of a Vietnam vet, traumatized by war and lost within himself. Rambo First Blood Part II is certainly still a vivid portrayal of the Rambo character and still filled with moments that make clear unadulterated statements about war and those left behind to die. It is however much more an action film than First Blood.

This movie centers on Rambo, freed from prison by the US government to re-enter Vietnam and locate prisoners of war. Unbeknownst to him, he's not intended to find anything and is expected to return empty handed. When he actually does find POW's alive and still being held by the Vietnamese, he refuses to leave them behind and engages in a one man war to save his former comrades.

Like all of the Rambo films, this movie is beautifully made and nearly flawless in its production. Stallone plays Rambo just as he did in First Blood. When you see him in character, it's so clear that the role to him means much more than it would for most. Richard Crenna returns as Colonel Trautmen and once again plays his role perfectly as well. A really nice surprise in this movie though are a couple of other familiar Hollywood faces.

There's Charles Napier playing a corrupt to the bone CIA agent and playing it extremely well. Napier is known amongst hardcore film fans for often playing a hard ass with a load of jerk sprinkled on top. His role here is no exception. Obviously Napier himself isn't like that but somehow or another it just became a running thing for him in movies. Probably because he's so dam good at it. We also see Steven Berkoff, a very well known actor from such titles as A Clockwork Orange and Octopussy. But most notably to my mind, we see Martin Kove.

While Kove has played many roles in his career, I love him best as the ruthless leader of the Cobra Kai Dojo in 1985's Karate Kid. That character has stuck in my mind for years and will probably never leave. Kove played it so ridiculously well that it almost made the character enviable even though he was one of the bad guys. If I were in a bad situation and I saw him in his Cobra Kai uniform, I'd be hiding behind him in a heartbeat...but back to First Blood II. Here he plays a mercenary, hired to get Rambo in and out of Vietnam and to back him up if Rambo runs into trouble. Kove's character however being a mercenary is only in it for the money.

When the time comes to choose between saving Rambo and a rescued POW or following orders and abandoning them, he simply fly's away in his helicopter and leaves them to be captured by the enemy never even looking back. Fear not, he gets his later on in a most satisfying way and Kove even manages to play that moment out hilariously well.

When I say this is more a pure action film than First Blood, don't get me wrong. It's a great movie and it has it's moments that are poignant and do bring back memories of the previous film. It's simply that there is a lot more action here. It makes sense however when you consider the situation or rather, the story of the film. There has to be more action when the main character is trapped behind enemy lines and facing off against countless Vietnamese soldiers backed by Russian military. If there wasn't more action, if it wasn't a tougher battle for Rambo, the movie would lose all credibility. As I've said though, First Blood II is still very well written, directed and edited. The location filming is excellent and the acting is spot on all around.

If your looking for the poignancy of First Blood, I will say this. A few lines spoken by Rambo at the end of the film bring that rushing back and really hit you hard. Also, as with the first film this movie is well scored and has an excellent theme song called Peace In Our Life sung by none other than Frank Stallone, Sylvester Stallone's brother. It's not quite Dan Hill's "It's a Long Road" the theme from First Blood but Peace In Our Life is dam close to it in the way that both songs tug at your heart and your mind.

Do yourself a favor, listen to the last few lines Rambo speaks in this movie and then just sit and let the credits roll while Peace In Our Life plays. It'll hit you where it counts, I promise you that.

Rambo Returns!

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
30 August 2013

John Rambo(Sylvester Stallone) has been in prison for three years(after his arrest at the end of the first) but is now given a second chance and new mission by Col. Trautman(Richard Crenna) The government wants him to locate some missing P.O.W.s in Vietnam, and think his skills and experience make him the best man for the job. Unfortunately, the government official(Charles Napier) abandons Rambo in country, which prompts John to engage on a one man campaign to free the P.O.W.s, and get his revenge on their captors, and on the man who betrayed him...

Lots of action in this skillfully directed and edited film, that plays to its core audience beautifully, with its wish fulfillment and deeply patriotic story. Believability may not be high, but film is so satisfying and entertaining that it doesn't matter.

Perhaps the best sequel of "First Blood" since the original Rambo movie began, showing his great Green Beret expertise

Author: charlessmith702210 from United States
1 August 2013

Well, here it is....John Rambo, who ends up in a prison labor camp for creating a rampage in a suburban city after hiding from police officers after being caught by police for loitering in the first Rambo movie, "First Blood", has a second assignment.

His very strong Green Beret experience will mean a great asset. Of course, in the original First Blood, strong mention of his experience in the American elite special forces in Vietnam is key for him when he gets freed from the prison camp and sent right back to Thailand in a sort of one-man mission--to free American POWs from a prison camp that most people said was empty after the Vietnam War was over.

With help from Murdock, John goes into that jungle again, meets up with one of her helpers, Co, an intelligent Vietnam lady, and then finds one of the POWs. Then, at daybreak, they escape but mercenaries are on John's tail out for a kill. John manages to use a bazooka to destroy an enemy gunboat, but could not keep up with the rest of the Vietnam platoon at the extraction point at a hill where a USA helicopter finds him and the POW. Sadly, Murdock suddenly tells the helicopter to go back to base probably because Murdock thinks one POW is not enough to convince him.

The Vietnam soldiers then capture Rambo and the POW, and Rambo is subject to the worst torture ever in his military career. First, he is in a bath full of leeches, and then forced interrogation, and then, an electric shock cage featuring about 700-800 volts of current...thanks to Col. Podovsky, a top brass who is on the side of the soldiers who captured both Rambo and the POW. Podovsky then warns Rambo that his POW- rescuing mission is espionage and must stop..or his freed POW gets killed. The turning point is when Rambo, forced to speak under duress to a radio, says to Murdock that he had enough.

Rambo then knocks out several of his interrogators, knocks another one right into the electric shock cage and shocks him, and makes his escape. Sadly, in the middle of the escape, while trying to rest in the forest, the evil Vietnamese general shoots Co in the chest, and Co dies.

So, he decides to go all-alone to free the rest of the POWs. As soldiers come in for Rambo's kill, Rambo kills some of them with arrows...and then kills more with arrows laced with incendiary bombs. Finally, Rambo kills the evil Vietnamese captain of the platoon with another arrow...

So the only gauntlet left is Podovsky. One of the helicopters w/o Podovsky but with soldiers on the side of him inside drops an incendiary satchel barrel at him...but Rambo dives into the jungle waters as soon as the bomb explodes. The soldiers then saturate the water with machine gun fire but Rambo explodes out and takes out one soldier out of the chopper and commandeers it.

Then, Rambo, on that commandeered chopper, manages to use the armed weapons on that aircraft to take out over 100 enemy soldiers, and land just near the area near the prisoners are, and release 4-5 more prisoners from that camp. The POWs are now in the chopper, the chopper is about to head back to base....but with one last problem.

Podovsky with his fully-armed Soviet-made military chopper is out for revenge against Rambo. Podovsky fires incendiary missiles at Rambo's chopper, and spray machine-gun fire but the POWs were able to knock out Podovsky's sidekick gunner. Podovsky responds with a direct missile hit on Rambo's chopper on one of the side engines, forcing to land on the water. Then Rambo plays dead as the rotors continue to spin as the helicopter remains stationary. Podovsky's helicopter then very slowly approaches towards the other chopper face-to-face for a final coup-de- grace shot to finish off Rambo, but Rambo hears the chopper, does a pretend sleep (Podovsky does not know this) and immediately bursts out with a rocket launcher, breaks one of the windshields and immediately fires a shot at him..and just before Podovsky could fire..his chopper blows up...and Rambo wins.

Rambo then brings the crippled chopper back to base and then Murdock's sidekick then congratulates him, but Rambo's distrusting anger explodes as he beats him bad with his M-16. Then he goes to the computer facility inside the base to release more anger, spraying hundreds of M-16 rounds destroying the computer equipment. Then, jettisoning the M-16, he bursts into Murdock's office, and Murdock gets a taste of his own medicine by Rambo's continued anger, making him see the Rambo knife up-close. He doesn't kill him but he makes him afraid...and then, Rambo leaves him alive, warning him that he better find more POWs that he did not find yet besides the several Rambo found...or worse will be in store for Murdock. Finally, a colonel who saved him in the first Rambo movie says that you don't need to return to prison...you are pardoned for the rescue of the POWs, but Rambo says that he still wants to celebrate his new victory alone.

Great and underrated sequel

Author: Maziun from Poland
7 July 2013

"Rambo 2 " is a great follow up to "First blood " . Unlike most sequels , this one tries to be something more instead of carbon copy of original. Kotcheff's movie was action-drama with strong anti-violence and anti-war message . Cosmatos goes different way . He's movie is fun action-adventure movie . It's very different , yet still it works very well as the second act of the Rambo's story . We finally get to see what a true killing machine he is.

The story written by Stallone and James Cameron is similar to "Aliens " , which was released year later. Rambo just as Ripley has to face his greatest fear and go back to hell on Earth, so he could help the American POW. A little bit of history : the concept that American prisoners of war were still being held in Southeast Asia was extremely prevalent in the early 80s. After all , the Vietnamese communists did not release some French prisoners until 16 years after the Indo-China war. As you can see the setup for this movie is not as unrealistic as many complain . It's plausible enough for me. Funny thing – the inspiration for both "Rambo 2" and "Missing in action " was almost certainly "Uncommon valor " made in 1983 (with Gene Hackman and Patrick Swayze) by Ted Kotcheff … director of "Rambo : First blood"

Sylvester brings a lot of charisma into his character . There is certain magnetism about Rambo which makes that the viewer can't take his eyes of him . Many people fail to see that. In 1985 Stallone was in his best psychical shape as he made both "Rambo 2" and "Rocky 4" simultaneously. He looks really strong and his physical appearance adds a lot to his persona . Rambo isn't retarded . He's a silent type who speaks rarely , but when he speaks it's always something meaningful. It's also not strange he seems a little odd person after what he experienced in Vietnam. He's not a primitive brute . He knows what love ( for country and for a woman) , friendship and loyalty is. He is able to single-handily defeat army of opponents because he uses his brain . The movie shows us that . It's done in completely believable way.

Julia Nickson brings a lot of heart to the role of Co Bao - the Taiwan contact . She makes her character both strong and delicate . Co Bao is also loyal and intelligent. Her performance is unfortunately underrated, which is sad , because she is one of few really strong women in the movies. The relationship between Rambo and Co Bao seems really natural and has an important dramatic aspect . It's one of few love relationship in action movies that doesn't feel like generic love story , but something real.

Richard Crenna repeats his role of Colonel Sam Trautman . This movie allows him for a little more dramatic experience . Charles Napier as Murdock is one lovely asshole. Watch out for Martin Kove (the evil karate teacher from "Karate kid") as Ericson – henchman of Murdock. The appearance of Russians wasn't really necessary , but they work fine as colorful villains . Steven Berkhoff is very cool as the intelligent Russian bad guy . Funny thing – Berkhoff's most famous role is the role of main villain in "Beverly Hills cop" which was a film initially intended for...Sylvester Stallone.

The scenery here is looking fantastic . Jack Cardiff's cinematography is impressive as he captures the awesome action in all its glory . Jerry Goldsmith delivers a pumping , majestic score . There is also a nice song "Peace in our life " sung by Frank Stallone , Sylvester's brother. Dialogue are witty and memorable . Some spectacular moments – escape from the camp , helicopter chase , confrontation with Murdock.

"Rambo 2 " is a great piece of entertainment . It certainly has it's beliefs and I think it's good to see another point of view on the whole Vietnam war . "R2" is a great tribute to all veterans and patriots who love their country despite everything . And the portrayal of Russians and Vietnamese isn't racist , unless you forgot that Vietcong and the Soviets weren't exactly saints . I give it 8/10.

The war on screen

Author: chloe-morazin from France
10 February 2013

Condemned to forced labor, Sylvester Stallone who is John Rambo, the hero of this movie, is released on the condition that he returns to Vietnam to find American prisoners who are still detained. He finds the camp, but he goes beyond his mission by releasing a countryman, so he is abandoned by American authorities. Consequently, he is captured, tortured by Vietnamese guards and by Soviets...

What I can say about this film, directed by Georges Pan Cosmatos and released in 1985, is that it's an excellent war film. It contains a lot of suspense, a lot of tension because the scene takes place in a jungle, so we don't see the danger coming. There is suspense until the end, until the last second. Moreover, the music is sad, dramatic, and sometimes threatening ! This film is also hard, especially the last twenty minutes : the scene with the electric chair for example, when Co Bao, an anti-communist spy and Rambo's friend is killed by a guard. At this moment we can see hate in Rambo. However, it lacks realism : we never see Rambo sleep or eat and he is alone against all ; he kills a whole army. Moreover, he knows how to do everything ; even drive a helicopter ! And it's also a stereotypical movie, with a stock character : he has big muscles, he is « the Survivor », he is flag-waving, self-sacrificing...

But in the film, there are some technical problems : for instance, when Rambo seeks the Soviets in the jungle, it's raining in torrents and when he goes out of the jungle it's sunny... !

In a nutshell, it's an excellent war movie with a stock character but he doesn't really show the reality of war. The plot is simple : find prisoners and exterminate Vietnamese guards to take revenge for the Vietnam war.

For me one sentence can sum up the idea of the movie, as the U.S. Officer says : « What we called hell, he calls it home ».