The Protector (1985) Poster

(1985)

30 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Gets A Bad Rap.
magilvilla15 November 1999
This movie is a lot better than people say it is. Sure, it's not a typical Jackie Chan movie, but it's good anyway. It has lots of action and is better than most of the buddy cop movies of the 1980's. Don't expect this to be like all of his other movies and you may like it. I did.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
6 out of 10
dragon ma young7 August 2001
I DIDNT HATE IT! which really surprised me, because everyone on IMDb said this movie totally sucked and I went in expecting the worst. Sure Jackie is miscast, but other than the addition of curse words, his character isnt any darker than in Crime Story or Police Story 2. The action is slow, but better than any of the American action junk I've ever seen. Plus, there is tons of full-frontal nudity! Bet you didnt expect that from a Jackie Chan movie, did ya? I can understand why JC was disappointed with it, because it is nowhere near as good as almost any of his other 80's-90's movies, but it aint all that bad. Go in thinking you will hate it, and you just might like it.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as bad as its reputation would suggest.
Scott LeBrun4 August 2014
In the second attempt to introduce martial arts superstar Jackie Chan to the North American market (after "The Big Brawl" in 1980), ever likable Jackie is amusingly miscast as Billy Wong, an NYC cop who, after some hot dog heroics, is demoted to crowd control at a fashion show, where he's partnered with Danny Garoni (the engaging Danny Aiello). Unfortunately, they prove to be pretty useless and Laura Shapiro (Saun Ellis), daughter of a wealthy big shot, is kidnapped by goons working for dastardly Hong Kong mobster Mr. Ko (Roy Chiao). Billy and Danny manage to convince their commissioner to let them travel to HK to advise and assist local authorities in defeating Ko and rescuing Laura, but of course these two mavericks are pretty much just going to do whatever they want to do.

There are *some* fine moments here for Chan fans, but there simply may not be enough. The tone *is* rather gritty, but although there's not a lot of outright comedy, the movie does still have a sense of humour. Chan has some fine action and fight sequences, especially one around the halfway point where he's trying to pursue a henchman escaping by boat. The stunts near the end are impressively scary. Writer / director James Glickenhaus ("The Exterminator") does a very fine job in utilizing the various HK locations. Jackie does his best in the lead, with Aiello offering fine support and Chiao being just right as our glowering bad guy. Jackie does have a decent if not spectacular climactic fight with fellow martial artist Bill Wallace. All things considered, it's not hard to see why Chan himself and some of his fan base might not care for the movie, but there is an alternate cut now available on Blu-ray with additional scenes created by Jackie himself, to better suit his vision (he really had no control on this feature at the time).

In any event, it's worth noting the presence of a couple of familiar faces among the supporting cast, including Becky Ann Baker, John Spencer, Mike Starr, Big John Studd, and Trey Wilson.

It would take another 11 years before North America finally, really took notice of Jackie with the release of "Rumble in the Bronx".

Six out of 10.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
misuse of Jackie Chan
dougjih8 July 2001
Jackie Chan's strength is in my opinion his talent in performing action comedy and fighting in creative settings. This movie puts Jackie Chan in an average cop-action movie that hardly takes advantage of Jackie Chan's strength. If someone else has played the role that Jackie Chan played in this movie, the movie could be a decent one. But Jackie Chan's presence in the movie gives expectation of something else than what this movie is. This is the problem of this movie: using Jackie Chan in an unsuitable role; or on the flip side, giving the role to someone unsuitable for this movie, Jackie Chan.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ruined by dumb American executives
Wizard-823 January 1999
Jackie Chan had no control of this movie (at least the American version). The director somehow thought that Jackie would come across better to audiences as a Dirty Harry cop! Didn't he realize that Chan is popular because of his stunts and kung-fu action? Apparently not, because in an interview years later, the director said he didn't regret his decision and kept claiming that Americans wouldn't accept Chan's Asian style.

Back in Hong Kong, Chan re-shot the movie extensively, adding car chases and kung fu action. He also edited out a lot of the American director's idiotic stuff. That version is supposed to be quite good. This American version? It's AWFUL! You'd never guess what Chan is capable of by just watching this movie. The action scenes here are *dull*. Yes, *dull*.

By the way, Chan next did POLICE STORY, as a "take that!" to that American director (James Glickenhaus, who hasn't done much lately. Hmm...wonder why....). See that movie instead of this!
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow!
Nick_Vorobyov20 June 2001
This movie was so good. People wrote that this movie sucks and stuff but they are dead wrong this movie has lots of action and some classic stunts from the master hismself Jackie Chan. This movie is also kind of a drama but mostly action and some comedy. Also has a great fight scene at he end.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Can do much better.
mylimbo23 August 2008
After constantly reading and hearing nothing but negative opinions about the American produced, but also filmed in Hong Kong Jackie Chan vehicle 'The Protector'. It didn't sway me from checking it out. I'm no Jackie Chan fan, but honestly it was director James Glickenhaus' name which fed my interest. Best known for the 80s exploitative vigilante flick 'The Exterminator (1980)' and some entertaining action joints 'The Soldier (1982)' and 'Shakedown (1985). 'The Protector' does have the same vibe of his early efforts; gritty, brutal, rough and seamy. And I would call it lesser work. However the main talking point will always be how Glickenhaus used Jackie Chan. Yes, Chan is wasted in a role that would've been better suited for someone else (Norris comes to mind, as it has more in common with his stuff), as his martial arts abilities and amusing characteristics are never truly capitalized on. I'm so use to seeing him with that *wink, wink* attitude (Project A) and piling on those extravagantly energy-packed stunt work (Police Story). It's a different kettle, and very atypical. Here he looks uncomfortable throughout with that hardboiled edge. Just listen to his sober delivery of the dialogues. That endearing personality is kept in check. This performance seemed to ask more on dramatic acting, than his psychical and lively talent. He's pairing up with Danny Aiello (a loutish cop) couldn't be anymore disjointed and unbelievable. The chemistry never felt right, but with these problems I still was mesmerized. The rest of the performances (Bill Wallace, Roy Chiao) were indifferent. Look out for a short appearance by Mike Starr. While it didn't have the on-going rush I was expecting, Chan gets some furious and hard-hitting action sequences (like the opening slow-motion bloody shoot-out, tricky boat chase (one by water and the other by foot) and a marvellous sky-high balancing act). The film doesn't start off too badly, but when it hits Honk Kong. The copy and paste formula with its many predictable outcomes (involving the seedy crime underworld and the buddy style of two rogue cops) seems to plod along rather coldly. At least there's something enticing about the moody Hong Kong scenery, and ace cinematographer Mark Irwin's crisp moving camera-work is expansively fleshed-out. Effectively detailing the backdrop. Glickenhaus' direction is scratchy, but he knows how to set-up street style locations and infuse sleaze (especially the opportunities that arose to squeeze in nudity). It cops a lot shtick, but without the expectations it's a passable odd of sorts.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
lifeless
westpac4 August 2003
This movie suffers from the fact that for years Hollywood had no clue as to how to package Jackie Chan for the masses. His low-budget Hong Kong movies were all fast-paced kinetic thrillers that highlight his amazing gymnastic skills and talent for light comedy. His early Hollywood films stuck him in the same movies that were being packaged for Stallone or Chuck Norris. There is nothing about Chan's character in this movie that requires the character to be Asian except for his being the star. In his Hong Kong films Chan is never dull, with the movies being one rapid-fire martial arts sequence after another, but "The Protector" is lifeless throughout. Danny Aiello isn't given much to work with either and the lacking chemistry between the two probably is more a result of the script and direction than how the two actors got on together. Both have been better in worse movies. The best thing about the movie is the Hong Kong settings. The worst part is the appalling way that Jackie Chan comes off so colorless and drab. It wouldn't be until the made-in-Canada "Rumble in the Bronx" that the west would finally figure out how to make a good Jackie Chan movie.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Chan is completely miscast here
$TEVE McD6 August 2000
This movie is not Jackie's style at all.He is born to play cartoonish,witty characters in far fetched situations like in "Winners and Sinners",but this is just a cold,heartless,clich'ed,dull and boring American action movie.I once read the opening sequence hailed as being"a rival for James Bond films for elaborate thrills".The scene,which is a speed boat chase,is one of the most boring and dragged out action scenes I have ever seen,and the outcome(Jackie beind lifted from a helicopter out of the boat and it crashing into the other boat and exploading)can be seen coming a mile away.I also once read that Chan considered this one of his worst movies.I agree with him wholeheartdly.The ending title song(called the protector)is the worst title song I have ever heard.(those that have seen it will know,as long as they didn't switch off by then).And by the way,who exactly is he protecting?
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I wish someone was protecting us from this film!
Super Bob26 November 2001
THE PROTECTOR. You hear the name. You think, "ah, it's a crappy Hong Kong movie." Guess what - it's not Hong Kong. And yes, it is crappy. This amazingly stupid Jackie Chan film, ruined by us, yes us, the Americans (I'm boiling with anger, ooh, I think I'll jump out that window!), has Chan as a New York cop hunting down a gang, avenging the death of his buddy. Sounds cool...but it's not. Don't waste your money renting it. To prove he could make a better cop film, Chan made the amazing POLICE STORY (1985).
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Chan may not like it, but I do
Adam Peters30 August 2014
(57%) Back in the mid 80's Mr Chan didn't much care for this movie as he felt it was made not fully utilising his talent, for which I can understand. Featured here there's none of his trademark comedic fights, or insanely dangerous stunts, instead we get a gritter, more typically 1980's R-rated American action flick with plenty of shoot-outs, fist fights and explosions. The level of strong language, along with quite a lot of nudity also sets this apart from the usual Chan flick, but I cannot say I didn't enjoy this. The action is solid with plenty of it, and for a medium budgeted 80's action flick this is better than average.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie is good.
Chris(Runner)22 April 1999
I just saw this movie on TV. Despite the fact that it is an R-rated movie on TV, I thought it was very good. For once Jackie Chan actually does his own voice, with no dubs. The fighting scenes are awesome, and there are lots of long ones. The hotel scene is awesome. The final scene is just great. Jackie Chan took on a whole army of guys. There is lots of other good action too. Don't listen to those other reviews that say that this movie has nothing or bad acting, because it is all good. If you want to see a good Jackie Chan movie, go for this one. The only bad thing is that Jackie Chan does not look in the 80's much like he does in the 90's. But if you forget that, this is a very good movie.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jackie Chan movie for people who don't like Jackie Chan movies
gareth6332 July 2010
This film generally gets bad reviews, mostly it seems from Jackie Chan fans. It is a more 'American' type of action film and if like me you do not like the usual lighthearted Chan films then you may well like this as it is a lot more serious.

Pleasantly surprised by this one, great action scenes. Pretty violent and very little or no slapstick comedy!!! Chan gives a fairly poor performance in this but then he not the best actor in the world anyway and it does not really matter. His fight scenes are very good, though not as elaborate as in his other films. This makes the whole thing more realistic, with more emphasis on bloody gunfights and explosions as is typical of James Glickenhaus' work.

Not bad at all. Enjoyable.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of Jackie's least memorable movies.
gridoon14 November 2003
Misguided Jackie Chan vehicle tries to shoehorn the star into a generic, typical action film of the eighties, saddling him with a complete a**hole of a partner, played by Danny Aiello in one of the less shining moments of his career. There are some good stunts and a couple of fight scenes, but they are nothing compared to some of the stuff Chan has done in his best work. (*1/2)
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Criminally underrated Jackie Chan action - one of his best American movies
Leofwine_draca18 October 2016
This unfairly neglected '80s buddy-buddy cop flick sees Jackie Chan in his second American role, after the lesser BATTLE CREEK BRAWL. THE PROTECTOR is generally regarded as one of the star's worst movies, especially by the man himself, but I'm pleased to say that now I've seen it, I can say otherwise. This is an entertaining, violent, and action-packed movie, and it's easy to see why Chan himself doesn't care for it – the copious blood and nudity and bad language is a far way from his modern-day family-friendly action star persona. Indeed it certainly seems strange to hear Chan speak such lines so that's a novel experience in itself.

The plot itself is wafer thin, but makes some good use of American and Hong Kong on-the-street locations which get the gritty atmosphere across really well. It's business as usual as the two cops go head-to-head against a drug lord who's kidnapped his rival's daughter, and along the way, exploitation director James Glickenhaus throws in loads of pointless but well-shot action sequences and nude women who have no reason to be naked. Glickenhaus famously fell out with Chan and refused to let him shoot the martial arts sequences, but even so they're surprisingly good, with Chan at the physical pinnacle of his career, on the same kind of top form we saw in POLICE STORY. Many scenes are cheesy and hilariously over the top, like the bit where a robber is shotgunned out of a window, but it's that kind of movie and impossible to dislike. There seems to be some kind of Bond influence going on here, with some large-scale stunts and lots of chases, my favourite being the fight on a platform supported by a huge crane, and the cheesy death of the uber-villain has to be seen to be believed.

Danny Aiello does his best as Chan's partner, but he's completely overshadowed by the Chinese star, plus he's given a really obnoxious, selfish and rude character to work with, so definitely not a film to see him in a good light. Roy Chiao makes for an imposing villain but is underused, whilst Bill "Superfoot" Wallace is GREAT as the chief bad guy, who kicks Jackie's backside in the finale and ends up using an angle-grinder on our hero! Amazing spectacle here and certainly the highlight of the entire movie, well worth the wait. Ignore the negative connections surrounding this movie and I'd recommend giving it a chance – you might find yourself enjoying it more than you thought.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Average cop/buddy movie with a mediocre storyline! 3/10
leonblackwood26 November 2015
Review: This is yet another mediocre movie from Chan, who tries to crack the US with this English movie. Chan plays a New York cop called Billy Wong and after his partner is gunned down during a robbery, he's teamed up with Danny Garoni, (Danny Aiello) against his wishes. Whilst at a lavish function, a rich man's daughter gets kidnapped and when they piece together the clues, they find out that the father has connections with a drug kingpin in Hong Kong, so they head there to crack the case. It doesn't take long before the kingpin hears that they are in town, so he sends out his hit men to try and take them out. After various battles with the baddies, Billy & Danny come face to face with the kingpin and with the help of an ex-soldier, they use heavy artillery and Chans Kung Fu skills to get back the girl. To be honest, it seemed like many films that I have seen before in this genre. Chan didn't really use his Kung Fu skills that much but it was good to see him actually act, without any silly comedic scenes. There are a couple stunts that were OK but they were not in the same league as Chans movies that he made in his native country. With that aside, it's a watchable film with a decent storyline and I liked the chemistry between Aiello and Chan. It won't go down as a classic but it's one to add to the Chan collection. Average!

Round-Up: This movie was directed by James Glickenhaus who only directed 8 movies in his short career, which included Timemaster, McBain, the Exterminator, the Astrologer, the Soldier, Shakedown and Slaughter of the Innocents starring Scott Glenn. You can tell that Chan was restricted with the amount of death defying stunts that he was allowed to do because of the laws in American movies. That's why his career in the US didn't last that long, because he got fed up with being told what to do. You have to hand it to him for trying to make a movie in English and I honestly don't think that it was that bad but it does look really dated for this day and age, which is why I didn't give it a high score.

I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/crime/drama/martial arts movies starring Jackie Chan, Danny Aiello, Sandy Alexander and Victor Arnold. 3/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We strongly recommend The Protector.
Comeuppance Reviews23 June 2014
Billy Wong (Chan) is a tenacious and dedicated cop who always gets his man - but doesn't always play by the rules. Because of his rogue ways, he's busted down to "crowd control". While with his new partner Garoni (Aiello) at said crowd, a fashion show displaying "shimmering cocktail wear", a woman named Laura Shapiro (Ellis) is kidnapped by marauding thugs which crash the fashion show. Tying her kidnapping to the nefarious Hong Kong crime lord Harold Ko (Chiao), Wong and Garoni travel all the way from their home base in New York City to Hong Kong to rescue Laura and bring down the criminal enterprise of Ko. While there, they team up with some unlikely allies, Stan Jones (Ballistic director Kim Bass) and Soo Ling (Lee). Will they achieve their mission, and not destroy Hong Kong in the process? Find out today! We really loved The Protector. It's classic 80's fun all the way, with no shortage of action. Not only does the movie look great, thanks to its excellent cinematography, but it truly is Jackie Chan as you've never seen him before. We can see why he and director Glickenhaus had a falling out over differing visions, but, without giving away any spoilers, you just have to check out the scene between Jackie and none other than Big John Studd. It's amazing. In the New York City scenes, there are some great shots of the World Trade Center towers that add another layer of nostalgia. But besides the WTC, there's also a great example of a WYC (a White Yelling Chief, that is). The entertainment value never lets up.

This movie was released at the height of Glickenhaus' powers as a director - we can see why Golden Harvest wanted to do a deal with him. He was smart enough to give action fans all of what they want, and none of what they don't. There's no stupid, annoying kid, there's no stupid, annoying romance, it's just one super-cool action setpiece after another, with Jackie doing what he does best. What more could you want? Plus, we get to see a slimmer Danny Aiello teamed with Jackie Chan. This truly was a once-in-a-lifetime pair-up. We thought they made a great team. Aiello wears a red jacket with no shirt, but with a medallion, which was a cool style for the day, and he's familiar with Hong Kong in the film because he was in Vietnam and they used to go there for R & R.

The Protector is a winner - it's just wildly enjoyable fun from beginning to end. Featuring the song "One Up For the Good Guys" by Chip Taylor, we strongly recommend The Protector.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
unfairly bashed just because it was not a typical role for Jackie
bcheng931 June 2014
Everybody and their mothers bashed this movie including Jackie himself who reshot and added more action and fight scenes in Hong Kong. I think Jackie bashed the movie himself because it was a flop.

This was an above average 80's action cop-buddy movie with some very expensive action scenes. In NY harbor they blew up 2 boats and in HK they blew up a helicopter. The fights were good to excellent including a Jackie fight with legendary MMA fighter Bill Wallace and a crazy fight in a massage parlor and that is just off the top of my head. Probably my favorite scene is the fight and chase scene in Kowloon harbor on the water itself where a population of boat people live year round. He does 2 death defying stunts in that scene alone, one involving a motor-cross bike and one with a long pole.

It was not a typical Jackie flick because Jackie curses a lot and is seemed to be a cocky womanizer and there is a lot of nudity in this movie and it wasn't a comedy. His acting wasn't bad and i thought his chemistry with Danny Aiello was pretty good too.

Personally, i am a huge fan of Jackies being that i think i saw just about all his movies including some bad ones went he was just starting out in the early 70's and as a fan i'm glad he switched to a new role in this movie...and i don't know but there is just something about this movie that makes me watch it again and again. People ripped the endsong and i thought there was nothing wrong and it was a good song.

It doesn't hurt that the gorgeous Moon Lee is in the movie too! All in all this is probably in my higher selection of Jackie movies that i like. When and if you do watch this movie, know that this is not a typical Jackie movie and just start from there and i hope you will like this movie also.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Chan's the man in a great action set piece flick
videorama-759-8593918 November 2013
This is one of those really unjustly criticized movies, I've vide'd a few times. It too has a great soundtrack at it's end, by Chip Taylor. This is another action spectacular flick from Glickenhaus, who knows how to make bigger than life action movies. The Protector has a lot of qualities about it, and in spite of Chan's real hate for this film, this is one I'd rather opt to watch, than his other chop suey comic style ones. The action sequences in this film that really get us exhausted, watching Jackie, especially in the last one, are fantastically shot. After being suspended for not playing by the rules when avenging his partner, (in the first great action piece, my favorite involving a speedboat chase) Chan's New York cop, Billy Wong is demoted to crowd control for a high fashion show. Here the beautiful daughter of the company is kidnapped and it's up to Chan and likable sidekick (Aiello) to retrieve her, which leads em' to Hong Kong for business and a bit of dangerous if near fatal pleasure, involving some sexy, young, and deadly masseurs, where another great action piece evolves. This movie is heavy on action. It has almost everything, even a drug lab, full of totally nude Asian women. This is a bit of a cheeky action movie, as how it lets a bit of female anatomy seep through, one thing I strongly admire about it, and Chan barely has time to stop and rest, fighting baddies, and impressing us with some of his stunts. The movie too has an interesting, unrelated start, involving thugs stripping a truck, and making of with off the Texan's guy's computers. Aiello and Chan make an interesting team, in a interesting choice of casting. They work well off each other, and though this film isn't at the top of Jackie's hit parade, The Protector is an action movie that delivers on all levels too with a bit of guilty cheek and humor. Don't be put off with the bad reviews, please. Watch for Mike Starr as Thug 2 in the first action sequence.
not as good as The Big Brawl AKA Battle Creek Brawl
disdressed122 April 2011
i didn't mind this movie pairing Jackie Chan and Danny Aiello.it's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination,but it kills some time.i've always liked Danny Aiello,so he elevates the movie a notch for me.the movie itself is a pretty generic crime drama.it's much darker in tone than The Big Brawl,Chan's first American movie,which had some humour in it.this one really doesn't.i didn't think the dialogue was all that great in this movie either.some of the lines were unnecessary or just plain silly.still,the movie was entertaining enough.this is Chan's second American movie(Cannonball Run II was just a small role,so it doesn't count)for me,The Protector is a 5/10
Gets Better With Age
victorpf20 September 2008
OK not a great Jackie Chan movie but this film actually gets better with age. Everybody criticizes this as not a "Jackie Chan" movie, but if you watch Kirk Wong's CRIME STORY, Jackie's character is actually very similar! I have seen the Hong Kong version of this movie with the added scenes, but actually the US version is a lot more realistic because of the tougher (cursing) dialogue and nudity. The HK version has added scenes with Sally Yeh that actually make no sense as far as the plot goes. Plus it is strange listening to the American actors speaking perfect Cantonese! This movie was actually ahead of it's time because it seems to have influenced a lot of the gangster movies of the '90s. It also seems to have inspired Chow Yun-fat's TIGER ON THE BEAT with its chainsaw scene. I know Jackie was not happy with this film and it shows. Still it inspired him to make better films such as POLICE STORY. For that we should be thankful.
A fun sleazy departure for Jackie Chan
Woodyanders22 July 2014
Tough New York City cop Billy Wong (a solid and likable performance by Jackie Chan) and his scruffy partner Danny Garoni (amiable Danny Aiello) are sent to Hong Kong to take down nefarious drug lord Mr. Koo (a nicely slimy turn by Roy Chiao), who has kidnapped the daughter (foxy redhead Saun Ellis) of his former associate. Writer/director James Glickenhaus relates the enjoyable, if formulaic story at a brisk pace, makes good use of both grimy Big Apple and gleaming Hong Kong locations, maintains a hard gritty tone throughout, doesn't skimp on the excessive bloody violence, stages the rousing action with rip-roaring gusto, and even tosses in a handy helping of tasty gratuitous female nudity for good trashy measure. Moreover, Glickenhaus keeps the humor to a minimum and doesn't clutter the narrative with any needless sappy romantic subplots. While Glickenhaus's unapologetically rough-edged grindhouse style and sensibility didn't go over well with Chan's hardcore fans, it's nonetheless still a kick to see Jackie in such a down'n'dirty flick. Bill Wallace excels as mean henchman Benny Garucci; his big confrontation with Chan at the climax rates as a definite exciting highlight. Mark Irwin's glossy cinematography provides a glittering neon sheen. Ken Thorne's spirited syncopated score hits the stirring spot. A blithely low-grade blast.
Final Fight scene
SipteaHighTea7 January 2008
There should have been more fast, furious action in the final fight scene between Jackie Chan and Bill "Superfoot" Wallace. Mr. Wallace should have been able to show why he was called Superfoot in the martial art world because he was able to fake with one foot and then deliver a striking blow with the other foot.

It was kind of weird the Hong Kong cops came in like a mob instead of acting like professional police officers with their guns drawn and moving in a precise manner like American cops in the movies do. I still like the movie because Jackie Chan was still able to do fast fight scenes in the massage parlor.
Dueling edits
rutt13-120 June 2001
The perfect example of the difference between HK, and American action, this one exists in two forms: the James Glickenhaus pile of garbage, and the fairly entertaining Jackie re-edit with new subplot and fight scenes....I can't really recommend either, but the Chan edit, is well, obviously better, and it turns out the villains CAN fight.....Sad to compare the two really. I still get a rise out of seeing former pro-wrestler Big John Stud in an early scene as a robber.....
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the funniest movies I have ever seen.
MSPapke10 August 2004
I started watching this movie on HBO, or some other movie channel, when I was at a friends house waiting for everyone to get ready to go do something or other, so I was only able to catch the first twenty minutes or so. But I enjoyed it so much I ended up renting it and watching it with friends. It was without a doubt, one of the worst directed movies I have ever seen! But it was bad in such a way as to make me laugh my ass off threw the whole thing.

*warning = spoilers ahead!*

From the time Jackie sends a thug flying fifteen feet threw a bar window with his 9mm pistol, to the time he faces off with an ex worldwide karate champ who "owns half of new york"; I couldn't stop laughing! The idiocy never stops.

I found it funnier than hell that the chief of police can show up with five squad cars, ten minutes after some fools try to rob the bar Jackie is in, only too tell him not to go chasing after the guy who just killed his partner; which of course, is an order Jackie shrugs off.

(I may have some of the details a little mixed up as I was more than a little wasted)

*End Spoiler*

This is one of those movies where you need to grab some friends and some beer, and enjoy one of the worst made action movies ever.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this