Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment
Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Their First Assignment

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
13 July 2008

Police Academy is such a classic, it has some of the best laughs and is just such a great time to watch it wither it's by yourself or with a group of friends. So I couldn't resist, I had to see the sequels, but I was really nervous when I kept checking all the ratings for the sequels, they're all pretty low and below average. So I was expecting Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment to be absolutely bad, but actually I did laugh quite a bit. I admit this was below what the first one was with the laughs and the story, but I felt like it was a decent follow up with the first Police Academy movie. It was cool to see the old gang back together and just having fun like they did in the first film. The story is a little weak but it's still a lot of fun to watch and has some great laughs.

A violent, well, um, if that's the right word, a violent gang has moved in on the town and are just making it into a havoc for anyone to live in. They are also making a mockery of the police, well, that's not too hard to do since they're pretty incompetent, so the chief wants a new team. He is given the class of '84, who haven't had any good jobs since they graduated, but now they are back together to get this gang out of town. At first they just end up screwing just as badly, but come together to be the best police force in town.

Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment in my opinion is a fun movie, I think the 4.8 rating is a little harsh, I understand the low 5's, but I think the reason why is because it is a little less than the first Police Academy movie, now of course I would say to stick with the original for right now, but I wouldn't shy you away from the sequel. Anyone who says they didn't laugh once during this movie must be lying, because the scene where they put super glue in their Sergent's shampoo was beyond hilarious, it's a classic. So just go ahead and have fun with this movie, I think you'll enjoy it.

Revenge of the 80's: The multiple sequels.

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
9 January 2005

Police Academy 2 (1985) was quickly rushed into production to capitalize upon the surprisingly successful first film. The recruits have finally graduated from the academy and are now assigned positions throughout the city. Crime is rampant and the people are afraid to leave their homes because of a local crime wave. A group of young punks (led by Bobcat Goldwait) have recently assaulted the chief of police (Howard Hesseman). With the city in turmoil and with his job being threatened by the Chief's right hand man, he turns to the new recruits to help clean up the city.

I hate it when they franchise a movie and tone down the raunchy humor and crude manners, elements that made the first one a success. The movie is funny but it's not as good as the first film. Sadly the creativity and humor of the Police Academy films goes down the eventual slippery slope. By the fifth film the series becomes very unwatchable and extremely redundant. Even though it's a step down from the first film, it's still entertaining.

Recommend

x

Their First Assignment, Give Us Plenty of Laughs

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
13 June 2009

After the Police Academy surviving the graduating class that these most unusual police cadets are in, the whole group is assigned by special request of Howard Hessemann brother of Academy Commandant George Gaynes to his precinct which has seen an outbreak of gang violence. Hessemann is looking for some new and idealistic recruits to help him out. Instead he gets these goofballs.

If Steve Guttenberg learned Courtesy, Professionalism, and Respect at the Academy it's all forgotten by him and his fellow graduates. They also get involved in departmental politics as second in command Art Metrano at the precinct wants this crew to foul up. And they do everything they can to oblige him.

Police Academy movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. They can be described as gross, vapid, stupid, puerile, and funny as all hell.

I'm so glad they wrote in George Gaynes into this film showing his graduates and how well they do in Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment. There is something downright lovable about the clueless Captain Lessard whom he plays. And Art Metrano is the kind of villain you just love to hate and you just love seeing how Guttenberg and the rest get back at him in their own little ways.

The regulars are all there, Bubba Smith with that 6'7" inch frame of his, showing that size does indeed matter, Michael Winslow and that uncanny ability of sound effects, David Graf as Tackleberry who finds true love in this one with Colleen Camp. My favorite however is Marion Ramsey, little Officer Hooks with the squeaky voice. You can't help but love her.

Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment may be the funniest of the series. Watch it and see if you agree.

What more can you expect??

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
30 October 2005

The original Police Academy was stupidity maxed out but brought together with a weird outlandish cast that manages to stay with you and has such become a classic. Not too mention that it grossed over 100 million dollars so a sequel is a must do for Hollywood. Let's face it, there was enough characters and ideas in this franchise to do a sequel, or six sequels as the case turned out to be. Nonetheless it made sense after showing all the cadets make it to graduation that we would get to see them on the job.

Thus continues Police Academy: Their First Assignment. Most of the original cast returns...Steve Guttenberg as Carey Mahoney, Bubba Smith, David Graf, Michael Winslow, Bruce Mahler, Marion Ramsey, and even George Gaynes in a more cameo type role as Cmdt. Eric Lassard. Guttenberg's Mahoney seems toned down in this sequel which is unfortunate. He doesn't show a lot of the smart-ass, prank playing personality that made the original so great. Everyone else plays their roles similar to that of the original so the jokes when it comes to the characters haven't changed a lot...just perhaps more of them. Michael Winslow as the noise making Larvell Jones is used far more in this one than in the original. Also at the forefront is Eugene Tackleberry who is a great character and he's a lot of fun and a great hero to watch. Sadly the film is noticeably missing G.W. Bailey, who plays Mahoney's perfect adversary Lt. Thaddeus Harris. He's replaced by Art Metrano who plays Lt. Hauser, the wanna-be Captain who will stop at nothing to see the force fail so that he can take over. He's good and it's fun to watch him get pranked by Mahoney but he doesn't have the seriousness/comedic timing that G.W. Bailey had as Harris. The late Jerry Paris takes over on the directing helm and seems to keep the Police Academy recipe in full force. As mostly a TV Director but a seasoned actor Paris should know all about comedy. Also to keep things fresh that added some new faces to the cast. Bob 'Bobcat' Goldthwait stars as the leader of the gang that is ruining the neighborhood that the Academy cadets are trying to clean up. Granted the first few moments of Goldthwait played Zed or playing himself are funny. The voice and the nervous little tics are humorous but then they just aren't funny anymore. And he's far from believable as the leader of any gang. Tim Kazurinsky plays Sweetchuck, the innocent, scared little store owner being harassed by Zed and his goons. And Howard Hesseman as Captain Lassard, little brother of Eric Lassard. Hesseman is good as their leader but the story isn't strong enough so everyone kinda falters because of it.

Just like the first, Police Academy 2 is STUPID!! But that is exactly what Police Academy is and meant to be. It doesn't try to be anything but. All the characters are funny and have their own little quirks and it's a revisiting that was to be expected and done in an okay style. It's still even not as good as the original, but it is a sequel. The plot and story isn't quite as interesting as the original. Everything else is practically the same, and more of it!! There are still several silly little spots that you'll find yourself laughing out loud about. It's slapstick and still low budget and just fun. Rent this one with the original and you'll have a good laugh. Don't take it too seriously!! 6/10

Better Than The Rest

Author: funky_cherry86 from Canada
4 March 2008

Police Academy 2 Their First Assignment is filled with non stop laughs from start to finish honestly I enjoyed this movie more than it's sequels because after wards it got a bit boring. This time around we see Police Academy graduates Carey Mahoney (Guttenberg) and his friends Jones (Winslow), Hooks (Ramsey), Hightower (Smith), gun loving Tackleberry (Graf), and Fackler (Mahler) assigned to the 16th precinct to help stop a gang led by Zed (Goldthwait) that's terrorizing the neighborhood. Meanwhile Lieutenant Mauser (Metrano) does all he can to prevent the new recruits from succeeding if all fails he'll replace Pete Lassard (Hesseman) the brother of Commadant Lassard (Gaynes) as captain. So the group fights back with slapstick humor and crazy antics, along the way Tackleberry falls in love with fellow officer and also gun lover Kathleen Kirkland (Camp)It was so funny seeing Mahoney get revenge on Mauser by switching the shampoo with epoxy resin made me laugh so hard.

Tamer, yet still fun to watch!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
12 October 2007

The crew of the first "PA" movie are back! Carey Mahoney(Steve Guttenberg), Moses Hightower(Bubba Smith), Eugene Tackleberry(David Graf, 1950-2001), Laverne Hooks(Marion Ramsey), Larvelle Jones(Michael Winslow), and all the others from the original. This one is really of the hook. It got some great scenes here I really like. Tackleberry mentions his sex life to the others, so when he's partner with a female officer, you see what I mean. However, each one of them have a flair for guns. That's a great start there. Then there's a scene where Jones goes kung fu cinema on the bad guys. If you thought his sound effects on the first on was something, the fight scene is really something to remember by. Then there's a person in the department who is worse than Harris(G.W. Bailey), it's Mauser(Art Merano). The gang got him good when Jones switched the shampoo with the epoxy, and they have him leaving the shower, exposed. The real challenge is when they took out the gang who are running rampant all over the city. It's a surprise when they got Zeb(Bob "Bobcat" Goldwait) to join the force, and BIGFOOT as the honeymoon vehicle? What a hoot! I liked the movie very well. 4 out of 5 stars!

This is a sequel to a Comedy classic that holds up

Author: Herebert Marcum Jr. from United States
28 August 2005

Police Academy 2 is a cinematic masterpiece. I was really surprised on how the cast came together to make a very good film. Howard Hessman AKA Dr. Johnny Fever from WKRP in Cininnnati, makes his only appearance in the series as Lasards brother. There chemistry on screen is unmatched and its a shame that they never teamed up again. Tim Kazerinsky plays the role of Sweetchuck, a very complicated man with many unfulfilled dreams. Bobcat Goldwait also makes his first appearance in the film. This film feels good from start to finish.Steve Guttenburg remains in top form as does Bubba Smith, and the late David Graf round out a talented cast.

The only decent sequel to the original

Author: Maziun from Poland
11 October 2014

The first "Police academy" wasn't exactly the most intellectual or most endearing of films. It did however provide a good fun and was a box office success. It grossed over 100 million dollars , so a sequel wasn't really a surprise. I don't really think that there was any potential to make a good comedy series here , but that's Hollywood. They should stop with this one. The rest movies of the series are just embarrassing.

"Police academy 2: Their first assignment" takes the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. It was quickly rushed into production to capitalize on the successful first film. This movie is rated PG-13 and it's kinda sad that they toned down the raunchy humor and crude manners. It's obviously not as fresh or funny as the original , but it has it's moments.

Jerry Paris replaces Hugh Wilson as the director and there are new writers Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield. The score is once again by Robert Folk. The old characters are back - Mahoney, Tackleberry, Hightower, Hooks, Fackler, Jones, and Commandant Lassard. We are introduced to an array of new characters such as Lt. Mauser , Proctor , Pete Lassard , Sweetchuck , Zed , Vinnie and Kirkland. The filmmakers sure had the knack for creating memorable funny characters. Bobcat Goldthwait is sometimes funny and sometimes annoying with his nervous voice and ticks. Peter Van Norden shines as the gross-out cop who eats anything and Tim Kazurinsky is just adorable as the unlucky merchant. Other characters both old and new are also entertaining.

The best jokes ? The opening of this film having a guy locking up his store , Michael Winslow's Bruce Lee impersonation , forced anal inspection , Sweetchuck constantly terrorized by Zed, the subplot with Tackleberry finding the girl of his dreams. If you liked the first one you should have some fun with this one too. Everything else is practically the same, and more of it.

The thing about this movie as compared to the sequels is that this one is funny (at least sometimes). After this one the movies went completely downhill. I give it 4/10.

Not as good as the others

Author: peet7338 from Australia
13 May 2010

I must say, I am a fan of the Police Academy series. No, they aren't movies that are going to win awards or anything like that, but for light hearted entertainment I think they are great! Having said that, I rate this installment of the series as one of the worst of the movies. It doesn't have many moments that make you chuckle like some of the other ones, and to me doesn't seem to have the same energy.

The film is good in that it introduces new characters such as Zed, Mr Sweetchuk (can't spell his name) and Proctor, but the absence of Harris and Callihan is felt. Mouser is alright as the guy that everyone hates, but the reason he isn't liked is because he is just a tool, whereas Harris was a tool who thought he was good at his job but kept making really horrible mistakes and blaming it on others.

So I give this a 4/10. Watch it to get an understanding of the new characters, but thats about the only reason.

After this sequel, Police Academy dried up what little laughs it already had!

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
19 August 2002

Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment was the last film to be remotely funny out of the further Academy films. No wonder almost every single orignal cast member dropped after the 4th film. My favorite character in this film however, and the only being who made it funny, was Bob Goldthwait. He and his raspy voice are hilarious, and make this film worth watching. I saw it on at 1 am once. I guess it's the only time slot the channel figure that no one will be watching. Anyway, it's worthy of a one time viewing, as the first, though they are both rip-offs of the film stripes. But still, see 1 & 2 once, and don't bother with the rest. 2.5/5 stars.

JOHN ULMER