IMDb > The Peanut Butter Solution (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Peanut Butter Solution

The Peanut Butter Solution More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

really got into my psyche

Author: Thrusday from VA, USA
5 October 2004

Watched this several times as a kid. My babysitter had it on VHS. I was fascinated by it and it really got into my psyche. It's dreamlike, weaving seemingly unrelated elements into a story with almost free-association. There's peanut butter mixed with flies and other gross stuff, super fast-growing hair, paintings that come to life, a sugar trail being washed away, and other random images. I wonder if this movie was actually inspired by a dream, or by someone picking random words out of a dictionary maybe?

Anyway, I loved it and longed to be able to paint a picture that I could walk into. The plot is unique and imaginative. I was too young when I watched this to pay attention to dialogue or acting - they're probably not great. The imagery is amazing, though. I don't remember the story being especially scary, but it was disturbing. I believe the boy who is the victim of all this was in a coma and also kidnapped. I just wonder if I watched this movie now whether it would still seem as magical to me, or would I be disappointed?

The movie that never gets out of your head!

Author: ordonet from Gibrlatar
4 February 2003

It took me ages to find the name of this movie, a movie I had watched as a child and had really really frightened me! I've been searching for this movie for YEARS! and i could only remember some parts of the film, when asking others if they remember the movie, they would look at me as if I'm crazy!!.. seems like a common thing reading all the other users comments, anyway.. This film is full of imagination, suspence, and is over all Fun and Scary for little kids.. it might even be scary for Adults too.. come on, a guy goes bold from being frightened? .. I was frightened all the time as a kid, perhapse i thought i was going to go bold! .. anyway if you havent seen this movie you should! its one of my favourites from childhood, up with the goonies!

I finally got this movie

Author: apryllshowers from United States
20 May 2006

I ve been working in videos stores for 5yrs now and every time someone new comes and works in the video store I always ask have you ever seen a movie where this kid loses his hair and uses this stuff with peanut butter in it to make his hair grow. And everyone always looks at me strangely and say no. I had seen this movie in school a few times when i was 6 or 7 and it also scared the crap out of me and made a lasting impression but didn't know the name of the movie. So finally I did a random search and typed in peanut butter in a movie search engine and got the title Peanut Butter Solution. I bought a VHS copy from Amazon and just watched it with my 6yr old son but I don't think it scared him as much as it did to the kids in the 80s. It was everything I remembered but I had forgotten all about the ending with the magic paintings which now looks like the moving pictures you can buy in the mall. But yes this movie is classic for someone in their 20s who have seen this movie and I think its too bad it didn't stick around.

Weird stuff!

Author: 5535 from USA
1 February 2004

I too, saw this movie when I was very young(seven), and I remember getting quite scared by it. The funny thing is that at seven years old, I was very much into action/sci fi movies, and I had just recently watched my first Horror movie, A Nightmare On Elm Street 3, which I thought was great. The only other Horror movie I had seen at the time was 'The Gate', which I thought was kind of creepy. One day after walking through the video store, I came across 'The Peanut Butter Solution', and it looked so strange, that I decided to rent it. I watched it later that night and it scared the hell out of me! I understood that it was only a movie, but at the same time, I was worried that I would wake up bald. I actually slept with one hand on my head for a long time after watching it. I'm 21 now, and last year my sister and I decided to watch it again, but it was so bad that we turned it off. We're big movie fans, and the dialogue was too bad to handle, at least on that particular day. It's not a good movie by any means, but it's definitely worth viewing, especially if you want to see something weird and creepy.

Ah... memories

Author: jimi_zee from California
18 May 2003

It seems almost all the posts people have on this movie are memories of watching it as a child, and then having vague memories of bits and pieces as an adult...

I must say, I'm not much different in this matter either. All I could remember was bits and pieces of the plot line. I do remember getting nightmares from it (like most people), not that this is particularly a scary movie by today's standards, but to a child it definitely puts a psychological fear that stays with you. So I looked it up, trying every search word I could think of, (i.e. hair loss, regrowth, solution, paintbrushes) Ehh... after browsing through tons of rogain ads, I finally came across it. I managed to find a copy and watched it again.

It's actually a truly unique movie. A novel idea about a kid who loses his hair, and gets more than he wishes when he applies a magical hair-growth solution. I think perhaps it wasn't marketed correctly back in the 80's because while it seems like a childs movie, I wouldn't recommend it to young children. Maybe not just the marketing either, but the movie itself would've probably been able to stand on its own without being characterized as a child's movie. I would bet that there are probably even people today who have been scarred from watching this as a very young child...

So, if you come across it, it's worth checking out. But sensor before letting your kids see this one!

Amazing how you remember things as a kid!

Author: bigfinejulie_82 from United States
8 March 2006

I gave it a 10, but that is because it is utterly cheese-tastic. As a kid, this movie was on the 5 movie loop of videos I rented incessantly. My mom found an old copy at the library, and bought it for me. My husband and I watched it together and I can definitely see why this is the perfect movie for young, impressionable children to watch. I mean, what parent doesn't want their kids to learn about trespassing on condemned property, ghosts, disregarding instruction of adults (albeit ghost adults), grow-it-yourself pubic hair, kidnapping, and unstable, felonious teachers? Oh yeah, and the benefits of an inattentive parent! Actually, this movie is so weird, it is worth watching. Like a Disney movie written by Hunter S. Thompson. Probably a cult classic to many.

Awesome movie.

Author: vanescafe from United States
23 August 2005

Whenever I reminisce about old 80s movies, this one always comes to mind, yet NO ONE else has ever seen it or remembers it. I LOVED this movie. It was a little creepy, but funny too. My favorite part is when that one kid puts the peanut butter solution on his crotch and the hair grows out his pants. In retrospect I don't know why they would show that to young kids, but that is definitely the funniest part. Anyway, I have been searching for this movie forever and have yet to find it. If you have any ideas, let me know. I've tried www.amazon.com and looked online, but I have had no such luck. I'd really like to see this movie again now that I am older.

Childhood Memories, One Hairy Adventure.

Author: tunganation from Owen Sound, ON Canada
19 August 2003

A lovely trip down memory lane. I saw this film when I was a child of seven, again when I was ten and snippets of this film have followed me ever since. I just finished watching the film again moments ago, the first time as an adult. Now, this film was somewhat frightening when I was seven, it does have some spooky elements, I don't recommend it for young children. I do feel however that this movie does deserve a second look by adults. The acting isn't award winning, and the special effects certainly wouldn't stand up to today's standards, however this film does have a unique premise and the dialog rarely comes off as childish, this isn't really a childs movie and I feel it was mis-marketted as one. One notable point about this film for most Canadians in their twenties and thirties will recognize several faces from other Canadian films and television from the early 1980's. This film was produced in english, the first film released by La Fete that I am aware of, to be produced in english not just dubbed over. If you enjoyed this film I also recommend watching The Dog that Stopped the War (1984) a great film put out by La Fete immediately before the Peanut Butter Solution. The Dog who Stopped the War can also be found by its original french title Guerre des tuques, La (1984).

Comedy? yikes

Author: tblackwo from Canada
10 May 2005

I just was cleaning out our basement and came across our old betamax movie collection.

Aahh memories....

Anyways one of the movies was Peanut Butter Solution...it immediately brought back forgotten memories, but sadly, since we no longer own a beta machine, I cant watch it.

Now, I haven't seen this movie since I was a (young) kid, but one thing I do remember about this movie was that it FREAKED ME THE HELL OUT! (Along with another movie we has on Beta, ET, but thats another story)

I'm reading here its a comedy? I don't remember the complete story, except for the fact that the peanut butter stuff grew hair (sounds funny) but I don't remember laughing at all, I remember my sister loving this movie but I hated it cause it scared the hell out of me, and creeped me out big time, I really am looking forward to finding this somewhere and watching it now that I'm older....And although ET still freaks me out to the point of not being able to watch it, maybe this will be different.

i loved this movie

Author: katie71 from bc
15 December 2004

my family are complete movies buffs and i must have seen hundreds of movies in my childhood, almost none of which i can recall with such vivid detail as this one. i loved the peanut butter solution so much that i went to see it twice in the cinema when i was about 7 or 8 years old. i still talk about it and tell people about it to this day. strangely, my sister cannot remember a single thing about it or ever even going to see it although she went with me both times, and until i decided to look it up here i had never heard of or spoken to another person who had seen it. thank you, IMDb, for assuring me that have not lost my mind. as soon as i get the chance i am going to start scouring video stores to find a copy of this to rent and watch as an adult and show to my sister and friends. i hope i enjoy as much as i did as a child.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]