Legend (1985) Poster

(1985)

Legnedary Adventure
hellraiser724 January 2018
Fantasy stories were always my favorate kinds of stories but they are also the darkest of stories as each of them contain rather dark undertones but are always about the forces of good and evil clashing. These things are always there because they are a part of life, it doesn't mater whether you believe the legends or not, the existence of good and evil will still be there.

This film another one of my favorate fantasy films, it's also another one of my childhood gems. As I stated before as a kid I love fantasy, I loved listening to Grimm's Fairy Tales from my mom, seeing this film it was one hell of a fairy tale. However this isn't a fairy tale for kids entirely but it's one that is for teens and adults, which give the film greater accessability.

The production value is just supurb it is just a feast for the eyes, as most to all this was done within a studio which is great and kinda a lost practice in most films. I really love all the set pieces from the forest land down to Darkness's hellish fortress which are all practical, no CGI bullcrap; the world is made so well it really looks like a place that could of existed. The make up work great done by my favorate make up effects artist Rob Botin, the creatures as well as Darkness look real almost like they could exist.

The music score is supurb as it's a mix from both Tangerine Dream and my favorate composer Jerry Goldsmith, there are lots of memorable tracks . Action is decent which I'll admit one weak point in the film for me I honestly felt the choigraphy could of been better or a bit longer, but all the same there are some good scuffles like a fight in the kitchen as well as the sword fight between Jack and Darkness which was cool.

Characters are soild, Tom Cruse is soild as Jack whom is sort of Tarzan like character just like Tarzan has lived in and with nature so his contact with the outside is limited except for Princess Lily. Mia Sara whom I think is a bit of an underrated actress is soild in this role. Both have a pretty good back and forth, it's true it's not a deep romance, fairy tales were never really known for that what are you going to do. Both have one thing in common as both are naïve as both despite how much in touch they are in the two different worlds they are from and inhabit they are also out of touch with those worlds and the darkness that lies within.

However the best character and my favorate in the film as well as one of my favorate fictional villians is Darkness whom is played by my favorate actor Tim Curry. The make up and costume work of the Darkness is just supurb as it is spot on to the Devil figure known from the old legends. He is just an intimidating and slightly terrorfying figure from both his physicality and that commanding voice, I'll admit just looking at the guy as well as hearing his voice made me really nervious as a kid.

But what makes the character stand out is that despite what he's suppose to represent there are shades of grey. In his mind he doesn't see himself as evil he never even mentions it once. Despite his hatred for the sunshine he longs to walk and be a part and inherit that world which he has been denyed access to; and we see he's going to do it one way or another.

What makes Darkness also interesting is in a way he sort of a dark mirror, most of what he says and feels are is sort of what we all sometimes feel deep inside everyday even when we don't want to admit it.

On one hand the film is pretty much a straight forward fantasy adventure which is fine by me, most of the time that's how I like most stories. But on the other hand the film does have some deep substance which complicates the story but in a good way, because it keeps itself simple but at the same time not so much.

I really like how the film has some underlying tones of coming of age and the loss of innocence which is reflected in both the fantasy world and both Jack and Lilly, as we see the beautiful fantasy realm turned into a dark forboding icy hell. There is even a beautiful dance scene where Lily is dancing with a dark figure and then suddenly both become one basically Lily's loss of innocence ( on a side note I'll admit Lily looks a lot better that way, what can I say I have a think for girls in black and goths). There's kinda some biblical aligory, in a way you can says Jack and Lily are like Adam and Eve, and the fact that the land has turned is much like Adam and Eve's fall from grace.

But also some philosophical territory on the perception of good and evil. Most of what Darkness says as well as a great final monologue at the end really makes you think because there is truth to it, what is it that really creates and cements the existence of good, can good really exist without the other? What truly makes a person good or evil are we ever really one or the other, or are we just a mixture of both walking a razors edge thoughout a dangerous existance? And even if evil is vanquished is it ever truly gone?

Like any great legendary story it won't be forgotten.

Rating: 4 stars
Legend (1985)
Eddie Cantillo13 November 2017
Legend (1985) Starring: Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, Tim Curry, David Bennent, Alice Playten, Billy Barty, Cork Hubbert, Peter O'Farrell, Kiran Shah, Annabelle Lanyon, Robert Picardo, Tina Martin, Ian Longmur, Mike Crane, Liz Gilbert, Eddie Powell, and Mike Edmonds Directed By: Ridley Scott Review (Directors Cut) THERE MAY NEVER BE ANOTHER DAWN ADVENTURE HAS GOT YOUR BACK After his success with Alien and Blade Runner Ridley Scott wanted to do a fairy tale movie. Ridley Scott hired writer William Hjortsberg, being a fan of his work. Ridley Scott credit aside from direction was that he mostly wanted there to be a unicorn and for the villain to be named Darkness. Legend revolves around Jack who must stop Darkness, for darkness plans to kill the second unicorn so that he may come out of his dungeon. Princess Lily was shown the unicorns by Jack, she touched one and has unwittingly led the unicorn to its death due to her innocence. She is kidnapped with the second unicorn, now her friend Jack with the help of Gump and screwball must save the unicorn and her or the land may plunge into an eternal darkness. They shot this film in a 007 stage in pinewood studios so they could achieve the lighting for Scott's vision, the trees are mostly made out of plastoid Styrofoam and the set was extended with mirrors. The direction and production are what help make this movie give it that enchanting fairy-tale feel. Ridley even brought the fairy-tale genre back to its roots with this film in the beginning when we meet Jack and Lilly the lighting which he wanted shows the child-like innocence within most fairy-tales you see in Disney films but as the film progresses it shows off its dark and Grimm aesthetics. Assheton Gordon's (production designer) set also had real tress and birds, with the noise inside it made it so difficult to record the dialogue and so some of the lines had to be dubbed which can be off putting for some people but it didn't bother me because when it is quite noticeable in the scene in which Lily is crying her facial expression says it all. But it did not work in Tom's favor when he was with the wounded unicorn. Mia Sara and Tim Curry as Princess Lily and Darkness are my two favorite actors/characters in the film. At one point the stage caught fire and the 007 stage burnt down. Luckily it was rebuilt in 1985. The story is very simple and is full of action, adventure, horror, romance and suspense. The movie mostly focuses on Jack, Lily, and Darkness as you can imagine by my synopsis. There are four cuts to this film, this is the only I have or ever will see. Because it doesn't contain the tangerine dream musical score and Darkness is hidden throughout most of the movie making his reveal that much more of a surprise. Rob Bottin who worked on the Thing 1982 had the difficult task of visualizing all the creatures in the world of Legend. Ridley wanted the character of Darkness to be sexy but also half goat, Rob felt there hadn't been a definitive version of the devil on screen and he clearly succeed with his creation. this is my favorite of his work. If anything because of how intimidating Tim was behind all that makeup. The music of the film is quite lovely and creates a transcendent and child-like feel for the film. Jerry Goldsmith's that is, I did not hear the tangerine dream music. But if there is one piece of music from the theatrical cut of this film that I did listen to its Bryan Ferry's "Is Your Love Strong Enough". I saw it on the back of the cover under bonus features and was curious by the song title and Gave it a listen. I love that song, it may be, no it is my favorite love song. Legend in my eyes is a masterpiece, while I may agree it has weakness's the film is a deeply entrancing experience that make up for what I consider to be the ultimate fantasy film. I know for a fact that this is a film I will be re-visiting very often and I do recommend you give it a watch (both versions) but decide which version is your favorite. I'm giving Legend a 10 out of 10.
Awful
slightlymad2214 September 2017
Legend (1985)

Plot In A Paragraph: Darkness (Tim Curry) plans to plunge a strange land into eternal night, by killing every unicorn in the world. Jack (Cruise) and his friends will do everything to save the world and princess Lilly (Mia Sara) who Darkness intends to make his wife from the hands of the evil monster.

After releasing 4 movies in 1983, Cruise signed up for a big budget fantasy movie directed by Ridley Scott which wasn't released in the United States until 1986.

Legend fails on just about every level for me. It just does not work. OK the sets are well done and I bet it looked great on the big screen back in 1985. Its no surprise gives director Ridley Scott is a perfectionist, who often goes to great leangths to make sure things look just right. But I'm not sure the movie knows what it wants to be. It plays like a Childs fairytale, but is just too dull and dreary to hold your attention.

We have the great Tim Curry, under so much make up he could be played by anyone. Likewise our hero Jack, this is the dullest performance from Cruise so far. The charisma and personality he showed it his last movies is absent here. Mia Sara (whom I love in Ferris Bueller) is bland beyond belief.

I didn't really care about anything that was happening in this movie, and it's a safe bet I'll probably never watch it again.

Legend tanked at the box office grossing only $15 million at the domestic box office, on a budget of approx $24 million, to end the year the 56th highest grossing movie of 1986.

Cruise disliked this movie so much, he often refused to talk about it for years. I doubt this movies failure bothered Cruise for long though, as a month after this opened, he was soaring to the top of the box office.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well shot, a bit over the top.
Blueghost9 November 2016
A stunningly good looking film, "Legend" is the kind of film that would happen if you took the best director who made the best looking commercials for TV, and gave him a fairy tale script to work with.

It has that kind of a "selling a product" kind of care to it, for it you look at commercials at the time, there was a real upscaling of production values and care that went into their production. So much that commercials suddenly became noted for being excellent shot films unto themselves (side note, there was a whole topic and controversy that the commercials weren't selling the products, but being simply good short films that happened to have products in them at this time). suddenly sumptuous highly detailed sets, elaborate costumes, and bucolic locations.

And that's kind of visually what Legend is all about. The story is pretty basic stuff, but the execution of it is why you go to see this movie. That, and the performances aren't that bad either. It's full of energy on all levels, but modulated by Ridley Scott's masterful direction.

My one major critique is that this film needed a few more extras and other people or locations to show the kingdom that the princess was part of, because otherwise she rules over Jack, one peasant woman and her slumbering husband. There aren't even any guards or other knights to protect her, nor even a mother and father. Just Tom Cruise's character and a handful of forest spirits.

That, and Cruise does seem to be in the crouched position for much of the film. Cruise's character, and perhaps the film as a whole in general, needed a little grounding, and perhaps a little grounding in the melee department. Give the fight some length, a sense of skilled peril as opposed to a simple fight with some cool moves.

This is to say that the film as a visual piece is fully realized, but needed a few more characters and extras to complete it, with perhaps a couple more plot points to ram home the whole moral of the fairy tale.

Otherwise it's a decent looking film. I'm not sure I'd watch it with regular dudes, but perhaps with fantasy fans who like medieval era fairy tales and so forth.

Well, that's just my take.

Enjoy.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a very fun and macabre fantasy at times.
Miguel Neto19 September 2016
I surprise me when I saw that Ridley Scott had directed Legend, seemed a very different film, and made ​​me interested in the film , I finally watched , and found a good movie, a good mix of fantasy with romance , the cast is excellent Tom Cruise in a different role , Mia Sara is well , Tim Curry is the best of the film, his makeup as Lord of Darkness is excellent , the film is visually very beautiful , I found very good visual of the forest, and magical creatures some monsters reminded me some orcs from the Lord of the Rings , the soundtrack is very good , I really liked the theme when the monster appears , the last minutes are very good , Legend is a pleasant surprise for me , I do not expect much this film , most ended up liking a lot. Note 7.5
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A movie that I watched by mistake
valipopa2825 May 2016
I wanted to see the 2015 Legend and i bumped onto Scott's 1985 fairy tale. I am not very pretentious when it comes to movies and out of curiosity i can watch almost anything. But getting over Mia Sara beginning performance was pretty hard. Except for that the movie looks nice and Meg Mucklebones is the cherry on the cake from this regard. Pretty thin story line, with some interesting characters. That's all i had to say about this film, but now i have to fill space as the 10 line quota must be met. doing this i wonder what is wrong whit expressing short and concise? it's that it? no, not yet, a little more to go now. do i have to fill the entire 10th row also?
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A children's book come to life
peefyn22 April 2016
This is a review on the theatrical version, I have not seen the director's cut. I find it likely that I would prefer the director's cut over this.

For good and for worse, this movie is like a children's book come to life. One without fantastical drawings of unicorns, demons, and other creatures you'd expect to find in a European fairy tale. And it's done beautifully. The make-up is fantastic, and holds up perfectly. The sets and locations are all stunning. The cinematography as well. They've taken the wonder you get by quickly browsing through the images in such a book, and made it into a full movie.

But that's also the problem. The characters are uninteresting, and you don't really connect much with any of them. The plot is unimaginative, and could be summarized in a couple of sentences, without skipping any major details. This is also similar to some fairy tales and fantasy stories, but they are usually only a few pages with little text on each - this was a one and half hour film. It's just too thin.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautifully photographed fairy-tale, but the theatrical version is seriously botched
roystephen-812525 March 2016
First of all, I must admit that I haven't seen the much longer director's cut with Jerry Goldsmith's original score, but I will definitely check that one out and perhaps come back to re-evaluate Legend. The director's cut of Blade Runner completely shifted my opinion about that movie, and I see a lot of potential here, as well. (Moreover, the extended cuts of both Kingdom of Heaven and Gladiator are also better than their respective theatrical versions, and having seen what he cut out of Prometheus, it is safe to say that it's always worth giving a chance to the outtakes and long versions of Ridley Scott's movies.)

Legend is a gorgeously designed and photographed dark fairy-tale, but unfortunately the theatrical version gradually sinks into boredom and falls to pieces by the end. The beginning, however, is stunningly beautiful. Thirty years later, the visuals are still jaw-dropping and for that alone, the film is definitely worth a watch. No other fantasy film has such a dreamlike quality that carries the sense of fairy-tale magic.

Ridley Scott's fourth feature film could have been his fourth classic in a row – or is it? It all depends on the additional 30 minutes I have yet to see.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome Film!
Dom Nickson3 July 2015
Spoiler Alert! I watched and loved this movie ever since I can remember. In fact it's one of the first movies I've ever seen that I remembered beginning to end besides Dumb and Dumber and a handful of others. The only thing that I didn't really like at all was Tom Cruise's acting in the movie. I mean if you notice there are several times in this film where he overacts which kinds of ruins his character. I thought his character should of been silent through about 3/4s of the movie. I mean was there really any point of him yelling out in the most annoying way possible, "Lilly!" The whole movie is pretty awesome and very fantasy-like kind of like a Zelda or Castlevania game where the hero is in search of ending a curse. If you haven't seen this movie I highly recommend it. I mean I see some of the script is kind of confusing but it is pretty awesome and satisfying to see. I'm surprised they never made a sequel with the open ending it had. I give it a out of 10 because again Tom Cruise's acting wasn't quite right for this film and also some of the story is confusing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the ultimate fantasy camp films
Anssi Vartiainen4 May 2015
Legend is not a film you'd expect from director Ridley Scott, more known for historic and scifi films, yet when you look closer, you start to see the resemblance to his other films. The definite epic scope, the endless struggle between fluttering good and overpowering, almost invincible evil, the use of heavy shadows and colours, the amazing production values.

Legend is an important film for the fantasy film genre because of how it looks. It was one of the first films of its genre where real money was spent on set designs and special effects. And it shows. It's a gorgeous film with a unique look that has influenced most films that succeeded it. Even if that unique look means making the whole world glitter worse than all of the Twilight films combined.

The costumes are also some of the best we had seen until then and they hold up pretty well even today. Tim Curry's devil costume is especially impressive on all levels. It's iconic, scary, yet expressive design that's sure to leave a lasting impression.

Unfortunately, it's not a perfect film. The story itself is not bad, but I get the sense that Scott bit off more than he could chew or simply couldn't properly transfer his idea on to the silver screen. It has the makings of an epic, but the stages do not reach suitable heights to impress and the characters feel flat.

This last point is not helped by the actors. This was one of Tom Cruise's first film roles and while it's not one of his worst, you can still definitely see some of his worst habits and mannerisms in display. Mia Sara as Lili, the resident damsel in distress, is also not all that interesting or captivating, though she has her moments and is hold back by the clichéd script more than anything else.

But then we have Tim Curry. And by gods, is he a sight to behold. His character, Darkness, is perhaps the only reason why this movie has gathered a cult following. He defines the trope darkness is sexy, with his smooth voice, ridiculously corny lines that he still makes work, somehow, and general presence that has never fitted him better than here, in an eight feet tall devil getup.

Legend is worth a watch for fans of the fantasy genre. It helped move the genre forward, contains some amazing moments and is also very pretty film in general. The story and most of the characters are not amazing, but they're not bad either, and most everyone should find something they like here.
Gorgeous on the surface, Hollow at its heart, Legend is a Cinematic Bimbo
sethgadman30 January 2015
Legend has long lived in my consciousness. It was obviously visually arresting and it couldn't help hold a fascination for me with its incredible set design, cinematography and the greatest makeup effect ever committed to screen in Rob Bottin's Darkness. I've never really enjoyed watching it though, I found it boring with the exception of the aforementioned aesthetics, makeup effects, Tim Curry's performance and Meg Mucklebones. Having read about a Director's Cut I was eager to revisit the film after not having seen it for probably 20 odd years to see if it could be redeemed as I felt it deserved to be.

I found the 'Director's Cut' to be little more than 30 mins longer in length and the film as a whole to suffer the same problems I intuited as a kid; creepy and shallow characters, a deeply tedious and unheroic resolution to the crisis set out in the first act and a puzzling rehash of the Director's own work in his depiction of the antagonist's exit.

Despite its scope and grandiosity of production, the film just feels small, as illustrated by Jack's 'quest' which consists of putting on some armor, crossing a swamp and fumbling around in the dark with some big trays. Despite Cruise's best efforts in his first scenes, Jack just flatlines as a character for the rest of the film, and the cataclysm proposed by the corruption of the Unicorns never seems to weigh that heavily on the rest of the film. Similarly the henchmen's threat (such as it was) with the underbite-Goblin and his pigfaced accomplice dissipates as Darkness himself is showboated for the last half hour.

In spite of the prodigiousness of its personnel and their technical might, Legend is, ironically, an exhibition in the power of good storytelling - in that it is completely devoid of it. This film should be screened to aspiring screenwriters as a cautionary tale of how useless riches are in the hands of artisans without a heart to hold the work together. Despite the Director's Cut this sumptuous looking film has about as valid a claim to a 'soul' as Darkness himself does.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disjointed as a Story, But Beautiful to Look At
evanston_dad4 January 2015
"Legend" plays out like the movie a bunch of guys would get together and make under the influence of serious hallucinogenic drugs, and who knows, maybe that was the case? In many ways it's a rather bad movie. It's not good at all in telling a narrative -- the editing is confusing and disjointed, Ridley Scott's direction is awkward and clunky.

But on the other hand, the visual look of "Legend" is stunning, and it's worth watching for that alone. It's clear that Scott had a distinct tone and vision in mind when making the movie, and that comes through strongly despite the weakness of the film making in other regards. I found myself fascinated by the film and could easily overlook its flaws.

The film received a much deserved Oscar nomination for Best Makeup but lost the award to "The Fly." Tough category that year.

Grade: B+
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Pretty Poor Film
Sean Newgent6 December 2014
After finishing Blade Runner, I guess Ridley Scott decided "What if I did an ultra-pretentious fantasy movie...and use that unicorn from Blade Runner that left people guessing!". So here it is, Legend, the movie that is in no way legendary and in no way as good as Blade Runner. In fact, it's pretty awful.

Tom Cruise plays Jack, a forest dweller who takes his girlfriend, a princess, to see unicorns. She touches a unicorn, taints it, and suddenly the world is spiraling out of control at the Lord of Darkness (Tim Currey) attempts to kill the last unicorn and never have the sun rise again.

All the Ridley Scott trademarks are here and, if I can commend the movie on anything, it's the cinematography. But it's otherwise a very lackluster movie as far as being pretentious goes. Seriously, people love this movie for being so mysterious but the bright white unicorns opposing the devils is pretty solid, easy to understand symbolism. The light and dark thing is also pretty simple. There's none of the origami or anything that made Blade Runner a thinking person's movie, it's just an example of a dumb fantasy movie (which the 80's produced quite a few of).

On top of the failed attempt at pretentiousness is the unmemorable characters, the boring performances, and, to top it all off, the awful action sequences. Tom Cruise obviously does no stunt work here as the action scenes be sure to cut Jack's face from the frame.

Legend is better than Scott's G.I Jane but it's not at all a good movie. Some like to say it's adult fantasy but I could see a child watching this and getting the gist of it. Save the forest, light and dark coexist, yin yang, all that.

Legend sucks.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worked out on the back of a fag-packet during someone's coffee-break
James Hitchcock6 December 2014
Heroic fantasy films can be divided into two categories, Before Jackson and After Jackson. Peter Jackson's seminal "Lord of the Rings" trilogy was the first great cinematic masterpiece of the twentieth century, and although never equalled it has at least influenced some very watchable fantasies, notably the "Chronicles of Narnia" and "Harry Potter" series.

And Before Jackson? "Legend" reminded me of how bad fantasy films could be (and generally were) during the seventies, eighties and nineties. About the best of a bad bunch was Ron Howard's "Willow", and even that only achieved the modest distinction of being a mediocre film rather than a truly awful one. Having a famous director at the helm didn't always help matters. For a long time I always thought of Richard Fleischer simply as 'the idiot who made that rubbish "Red Sonja" – an unfair assessment, as Fleischer had earlier been responsible for films as good as "The Vikings", "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" and "10 Rillington Place". "Red Sonja", together with the equally dreadful "Conan" films, probably damaged Arnold Schwarzenegger's career by establishing him in the public mind as a musclebound hulk with minimal acting skills.

"Legend" was also the work of an otherwise distinguished director. Indeed, Ridley Scott's previous film had been "Blade Runner", in my view one of the greatest science fiction films ever made. "Legend" probably represented a desire to follow it up with something as different from it as possible. Scott's original aim was to produce a film based upon a traditional fairy-tale or legend, but could not find one which suited his purposes and so had the idea of commissioning an original story. The film is set in a sort of wooded fairyland which would forever be a place of beauty and enchantment were it not for the principal villain, the Lord of Darkness (or just "Darkness" for short). You can tell he is a villain because he looks just like traditional depictions of the Devil, except that his horns are more like a cow's than a goat's. As the film opens, Darkness has just decided to kill off the world's last two remaining unicorns, as (contrary to what astronomers may inform you) it is unicorns which cause the sun to rise every morning. A world bereft of unicorns will therefore be a world of eternal darkness- from Darkness's viewpoint, a Good Thing, but from everyone else's a Bad Thing. Darkness also has lustful designs on the beautiful Princess Lili (or Lily, depending on which version of the film you see).

The task of foiling his evil schemes falls to Lili's sweetheart, a young man named Jack, who has the assistance of various characters lifted straight from the pages of some sub-Tolkienesque fantasy novel. Among these are a lisping, effeminate faun named Honeythorn Gump (brother of the more famous Forrest), a fairy named Oona and two dwarfs named Brown Tom and Screwball. (Or are they elves? Or perhaps leprechauns, given that they speak with a strong stage-Irish brogue?) There are also goblins, but as in Tolkien they are the bad guys, so they bat for Darkness's team. You can work out the rest of the plot from here.

The lead role of Jack was taken by an up-and-coming young actor named Tom Cruise, at this time in the middle of his 1980s "pretty-boy" period, but he never does anything to show why he was, within a few years, to establish himself as a major Hollywood superstar, although, to be fair, he was possibly unlucky with a dull, hackneyed script and some stilted, ponderous dialogue. Cruise was fortunate that he followed "Legend" up with "Top Gun", made by Scott's brother Tony. This was probably the best of his pretty-boy movies and a huge box-office success. As for his leading lady, the teenage Mia Sara, she shows all too clearly just why, despite her striking beauty, she was never to become a big name herself. The best acting comes from Tim Curry as the spectacularly-horned Darkness, but even he cannot really manage to rescue the film. Indeed, he may have inadvertently made it worse. In a film where the villain seems more real than the heroes, the audience might start rooting for him, which was probably not anybody's intention.

Scott originally wanted to film in Yosemite National Park, but financial considerations precluded location shooting, and a complete forest set was built at Pinewood Studios. A lot of effort was obviously put into this, and yet the result is still oddly unconvincing. (Even fantasy films need a certain grounding in reality, and Yosemite might have done for "Legend" what the New Zealand landscapes did for the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy). The same can be said of the whole fantasy universe in which the story is set; it never seems to hang together as a coherent whole in the way in which, say, Tolkien's Middle Earth does. I think that the difference lies in the fact that Tolkien spent many years working out all the details of his imaginary world, whereas all the details of the imaginary world of "Legend" were probably worked out on the back of a fag-packet during someone's coffee-break.

"Legend" is not the worst fantasy film of all time; compared to "Red Sonja" or "Prince Valiant", which continued the tradition of the execrable sword-and-sorcery epic into the nineties, or to "The Scorpion King" which continued it even into the After Jackson era, it can look quite presentable at times. Compared to something like the "Narnia" or "Harry Potter" series, however, to say nothing of "Lord of the Rings", it seems sadly wanting, a low point in Ridley Scott's career. 4/10
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Directors Cut
arus_royus1 December 2014
I have never seen the "origional" butchered version, were the ******** at Warner Bros punched Mr. Scott in the face, but since it was never intended to be that way... Well I hope the people who tried to ruin this great masterpiece rot in hell, wait they already are in hell, the hell of the small minded, ignorant people.

The Directors cut, is one of the greatest movies of all time, a timeless masterpiece. Everything is perfect. The movie has no flaws. It really deserves to be under the top 250s, and not have a rating of 6.5.

The music is enchanting, the "visuals" are enrapturing, everything was build by hand, absolutely no computer animated effects. And The Lord of Darkness, is one of the most intense performances in the history of film... and it can be said for sure that today they would just lamely computer animate him instead of using an actor. A must see for all people who appreciate great and beautiful movies. A real marvel, a priceless gem, something that broadens the horizons of the mind. 10/10! Oh and did I mention the fantastic score ;)?!?
A Classic for the Fantasy Genre
pihawk39 November 2014
This was my favorite fantasy movie as a child, and has continued to stay with me through out my years. This movie is actually not that well known despite the fact that this is a Ridley Scott film. The practical effects are stunning especially considering this movie was released in 1985! Nearly Thirty years after it's making I am still amazed with Tim Curry as Darkness. This film allows you to enter a magical world filled with Demons, Elves, Fairies and Unicorns and watch a short battle between good and evil. This film is easily enjoyed by the entire family and should be in everyone's library. If you have never watch Legend before, then you really are missing what I believe to be a timeless classic!
Sometimes 'less' is better
bowmanblue30 October 2014
As a big fan of fantasy films, I remember watching Legend as a child in the eighties. I recently watched it again and the one thing that struck me was how long it was. Apparently, I'd watched the 'director's cut' (or extended edition - I forget). Anyway, it ran at over two hours and, although I normally enjoy the director's cut more, this time I found it really boring.

What was a pretty tight fantasy adventure had its first half dragged out, with long periods of little speech or where anything happens.

Directed by Ridley Scott, Legend is naturally beautiful to watch and the make-up deserves a special mention for the hideous demon who's trying to slay the last unicorn. Tom Cruise (pre his meteoric rise to fame) plays the young forest boy who's destined to rescue the princess well.

Although I'm not sure whether Legend will find many new fans. It's too dark to appeal to the majority of children and too lightweight to be classed as an adult's film.

But for those of us with an affection for eighties films set in the days of make-up and story telling over computer-effects and Michael Bay, should still sit back and smile at the classic adventure.

Personally, I'll stick to the 'trimmed' version.

Good, harmless, Saturday afternoon fun.
A Pretty Good Fantasy
Rainey Dawn26 October 2014
Legend has a good fantasy story to tell about the mystical creatures called unicorns. I will not say anymore about the unicorns because it would ruin the film for the first time viewer. I will say they are beautiful and realistic looking in this movie.

I really loved the story as well as the costumes, sets and overall look/feel to the film - it is quite a magical cinema. The creatures in the film are great looking - some extremely creepy in appearance.

There are two highly trivial things I did not like about the film: 1) The voices of some of the creatures sounded to much alike. It was like these similar sounding characters had high pitched voices as if they were sucking on a helium balloon then speaking (examples: Gump and Blix). That really bothered me - it's a trivial complaint I know but it did get on my nerves for some reason.

2) The other minor thing about the film I became irritated with was the relationship between Blix, Blunder and Pox - they were to much like "The Three Stooges" for me instead of being as terrifying as they look.

My complaints are extremely minor about the film - I will tell you outside of my two trivial gripes the movie is good.

7.5/10
Manimation masterpiece...
poe42621 October 2014
Although this is going to sound like a negative criticism, it's not really meant to be. (Crom knows, I've already had half a dozen comments deleted from the IMDb...) LEGEND is the fourth and (as far as I'm concerned) final Great Film from director Ridley Scott. Sure, there are some okay movies scattered here and there throughout his filmography from this point on, but no more truly GREAT movies are to be found. Besides the airtight direction, it's the stunning MANIMATION of the Fantasy Characters that makes LEGEND a Classic: the head-to-toe makeups MAKE the movie. Willis O'Brien and Ray Harryhausen used stop-motion animation to give Life to their Creatures, but here we have Manimation- Creatures brought to Life, from head to toe, by Monsterwear to rival THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and GODZILLA to ALIEN and PREDATOR and everything that's come down the pike since (the Monster in John Carpenter's second episode of MASTERS OF HORROR, "PRO-LIFE," certainly gives most Monsterwear a run for their money). Tim Curry takes top honors as The Lord of Darkness, but Robert Picardo as Meg Mucklebones is just as impressive in his/her own right- and let us not forget Blix and all the rest. Rob Bottin hit it out of the ball park on this one.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best Zelda movie you're ever gonna get
Adam Peters12 September 2014
(64%) One of the most terrifying family movies of all time that I remember had a VHS cover (of the bog witch) that really wouldn't be out of place with an 18 certificate in its corner next to "Nightmare on Elm street 2" and "From beyond" in the hallowed horror section of a video rental shop. The make-up and practical effects in this movie are truly sublime, Tim Curry as the devil is jaw dropping, and the dream like set design is really quite magical, you can see why and how it inspired the Zelda video games. Some of the characters do come off as a little annoying at times, but I still consider this to be one of the more underrated fantasy movies ever.
A Simple Story With Mesmerizing Results
eric26200315 June 2014
Ridley Scott's "Legend" was released at time when fantasy adventure stories were really taking off. Such films as "The Dark Crystal", "Labryinth", "The Never Ending Story" captured the mind and the imagination to many places that can only be dreamed upon. "Legend" was a bit different than the three fantasy stories that I have mentioned. For one thing, it did not do very well at the box office at the time. The characters were one-note and the story was thinner than a spaghetti string. But there is something that makes "Legend" stand out above the rest. It is the fairy-tale atmosphere goes very deep and in the end you'd be amazed at how well crafted this movie really is.

This simplistic story is about Princess Lili (Mia Sara) and her boyfriend Jack-of-the-Green (Tom Cruise) were enjoying a fairytale atmosphere together. Then all of the sudden, Jack points out to Lili two gorgeous unicorns standing together that cross balances the lines between good and evil. As a precaution, Jack tell Lili not to touch them. But Lili's temptation get the best of her as she walks over to the unicorns, a group of goblins take advantage and successfully confiscate the unicorn's horn. Shortly after that, winter comes into effect as and the balance is now messed up.

Lily and the other unicorn enter a dark world and are held hostage to the Lord of Darkness' chamber where he becomes smitten by her purity and uses that purity so that she becomes corrupted before destroying the last unicorn. Meanwhile Jack joins forces with a group of faeries to rescue Lili and to prevent this demonic miscreant from blocking out the light.

A very young Tom Cruise's character Jack was very painfully underdeveloped. Sure he looks like the typical warrior fantasy hero sporting loincloth clothing and carrying a mighty sword, but overall this is Cruise's most forgettable character in his career. There's no history or any background to hold one's interest. But still his voice and his way of carrying the character makes Jack a definitive hero.

The real characters that truly carry the story was Mia Sara's Lili and Tim Curry's Lord of Darkness. Underneath all that heavy makeup and over-the-top dialogue, Curry adds the right amount of malice and yet can also come across as sympathetic. Sure he's as evil as they come, but deeper inside, we see a very lonely devil who think his darkness balances the good and the light. And that is why he's asking for Lili's love as she becomes attached to his dominion.

Lili's transformation from the fantasy light-bright princess, to the runaway bride to the Gothic-laden princess was engaging to say the least. Lili's transformations are handled with precision and care and teaches the lesson, that to get by in a fight against evil in fantasy environments means to break some rules and go against moral issues and as she goes deeper to becoming evil, she still manages to keep her humanity alive. And whether good or evil, Lili is eye candy the whole way through.

The cinematography was best thing that makes this movie stand out very well. The fairy-tale flowers and forestry is saturated with many vibrant colours. As for the Darkness' chamber, the dark colours is what I would have expected coming from an evil fiend like him.

It's not a mainstream film at all, and many people might be turned off by its bizarre ways, but I think it's execution is terrific in terms of trial, temptation, lust, and the fight for good against evil.

When I was a child I was totally freaked out by the presence of the Lord of Darkness. He was and is still to this day, one scary looking dude. This is no way a kid-friendly fantasy adventure story. I haven't seen this movie in years, but just today I rented the DVD and it brought back so many memories and the story itself, though thin and very short, but entertaining and enthralling. I highly recommended to children 9 years and older, mostly because the bad guy is one scary demon.
Good for it's time...
Sherazade23 March 2014
If there ever was a modern day marvel of a film that is in desperate need to be remade and it would be justifiable, it's Legend. In fact, I already have a cast in mind; Joseph Gordon Levitt as Jack, Alexandra Daddario as Lili with Tom Hardy as Darkness. So I caught the Ridley Scott directed 1985 film the other night on Encore and in spite of the lack of any spectacular special-effects and out-dated technology which almost made the leads, lovebirds Lili and Jack (played by Mia Sara and Tom Cruise) seem out-of-it and ridiculous perhaps because my eyes are so used to the technology of today or as many have suggested that it's the 90-minuted-butchered-editing of the US edition of the film which is what I had the misfortune of viewing, though I must add that I did get the feeling that I may have seen the European cut when I was much younger. Tim Curry brought such theatrical terror to his turn as Darkness that trying to find any technical flaws in his delivery of this character, would be an adventure in itself. The scenes involving Lili after she is captured by Darkness' minions and he falls in love with her are quite note-worthy. Sara gave her better acting when she went to the dark side.
Bloated fantasy from Ridley Scott
SnoopyStyle19 January 2014
There is good. There is evil. And there are unicorns. Jack (Tom Cruise) is a forest dweller who loves innocent Lili (Mia Sara). When Darkness (Tim Curry)'s minion takes the horn of an unicorn, the world becomes unbalanced. The world freezes over. Lili and an unicorn are captured. Jack and his newfound ragtag gang must come to the rescue.

This is a bloated fantasy starting from the bloated opening text. None of the text is necessary. So much of time is over the top. The acting is weirdly mannered and stiff. The costumes are noticeably fake. This is director Ridley Scott's big white whale. He tries so hard for ethereal fantasy that all he gets is clunky surrealism.

This was a troubled production. One could almost sense the problems from the film. Scott is throwing every fantasy conventions at it. It becomes overloaded. I see this as an ambitious undertaking from Ridley Scott that mostly fails.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Grim fairy tale
jc-osms18 January 2014
A feast for the eyes, less so the brain, is Ridley Scott's dark fantasy fairy-tale. At several points in the film, the viewer is drawn to the wonderful make-up, set design and special effects, but rarely to the actors or even action, in the drama.

The story uses the battle between the darkness and the light as obvious metaphors for good and evil but for me was disjointed and haphazard in its wanton introduction of characters, scene progression and narrative drive. It also doesn't help that there's little chemistry between the two star-crossed lovers in the leads or that they're separated for much of the film. Modern eyes too will have reservations about the use of lightly-clad very young child actors as fairies and in particular the scene where the Tinkerbell-type Oona demands a full kiss from Cruise's Jack.

Cruise is athletic enough in the lead but lacks presence and doesn't even try to neutralise his jarring American accent. Mia Sara is better as the young princess whose innocence Tim Curry's big bad, cloven-hoofed Lord of Darkness tries to corrupt, although in actual fact she probably looks more attractive in her dark-side transformation.

The big pay-day for big-budget fantasy movies about magical "little-people" and epic quests in some picturesque never-land was some still 20 years or so away, but I hesitate to call this particular movie a false dawn. Lacking even the slightest touch of humour, it's a rather misshapen, unnecessarily bleak movie which summarily failed to reach the inner-child in me.
The forgotten movie
Neil Welch16 December 2013
Jack pursues his abducted love Princess Lily into the kingdom of the Lord of Darkness, who has plans to bring darkness and winter to creation via a stolen unicorn horn.

Legend appears to be the forgotten movie from both Tom Cruise's and Ridley Scott's CVs. This is a little unfair on Cruise because he is quite good in an early hero role. As for Scott - well, for me, this typifies his work. Right from the start of his career he has been a genius at bringing to the screen impossible worlds. Alien, Blade Runner, Legend - all look absolutely authentic. And the other aspect which Legend typifies - poor storytelling (where, I realise, I am going against the accepted wisdom). I think Scott has problems with clarity of narrative and pacing, and Legend suffers from both of these.

A shame - the visuals are great, the cast is fine, and Tim Curry is outstanding in the best makeup ever.