IMDb > Impure Thoughts (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Impure Thoughts More at IMDbPro »

Impure Thoughts Was A Great Idea That Really Didn't Hold Up

Author: steve-214 (sfwr@earthlink.net) from Brea, Ca. USA
21 October 1999

Some might like this film more than I, especially if you have attended a catholic middle school. It is about four men who have attended the same catholic school in 1960 and now find themselves in Purgatory. After some bantering back and forth, they begin to seriously compare experiences at the school. Impure Thoughts means well and actually held my interest for about 45 minutes. It does explore the coming of age and how the church views going through those difficult years.But I found myself not caring enough for the main characters, as children or as adults. Not a bad film, but could have been so much better.

Alyson Hannigan's first, a bit part in a minority interest story, version 1.10

Author: annevejb from UK
1 December 2008

June 2014, I re-watched this and I enjoyed it. I found it saying interesting things about a previous decade that I all but forgotten. It made me go back to the review that I started in 2009 and change it a lot.

Impure Thoughts is copyright listed as 1985 and IMDb listed as 1986. I assume something like completion date versus release date. Not knowing the filming dates, oh so nice to know in features like this, that puts AH at around age 11.

This story might not make much sense to anyone who was not in Catholic education in the 1950's and early 1960's. Me, I was in the UK, not that I was the type who did well by it. I can relate to this feature even though my schools were very different with different syllabuses. To me Scapula is from the middle ages only, it was not my UK 1950's. Sex Ed: in a church school we just got NO.

I am not in tune with modern Catholic culture, Christianity now feels not my way, but I found this feature very easy to follow and like. The novel Frost In May, no, by now I find that to be too tragic, though I used to like it, this yes.

Four boys, from the same school, one that caters to the full school age range. St Jude means something, Jude is an abbreviation of Judas, except St Jude was a very different apostle and is, according to Google, the patron saint for desperate cases.

This is not a comedy, they sit at a table in a purgatory waiting room and look back on their lives, but it does have a light tone. It is optimistic about purgatory.

My DVD cover gives a misleading idea about any sex parts in Impure Thoughts. It covers a fantasy that one of them had about a teacher. Not a standard 'church school' fantasy.

My DVD is 4x3, likely the original image format. It is blatantly low production budget. To me this is a real historic feature. It is also available on YouTube.

Alyson Hannigan. She plays the sister of the younger male.

Most of the school action shows the older ones so she is not there.

40 minutes in she is blatantly AH, preparing for the school dance, less blatantly when arriving at the dance. It is the chapter that the DVD calls Sister Joan, the teacher Danny thought of as Sister Joan of Arc.

She could be in a few other scenes. I do not think so, other than maybe the start of Sister Joan chapter.