IMDb > Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Girls Just Want to Have Fun

Girls Just Want to Have Fun More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Girls definitely want to have fun

Author: baybee from australia
3 June 2002

Girls Just Want to Have Fun is the ultimate movie of the 80s. I was 8 years old when this came out and my friends and I would hold our own Dance TV, of course everyone wanted to be Janey but I wanted to be Helen Hunt's character Lynne.

Even though Sarah Jessica Parker had the title role and the hunky Lee Montgomery as her dance partner and boyfriend, this film belonged to Helen Hunt. She was absolutely wonderful as the best friend who helped Janey with her dream of being on Dance TV.

Jonathan Silverman was funny as Drew, Jeff's best friend that in fact the best friends were the one who made this movie more enjoyable.

Shannen Doherty was also impressive as Jeff's little sister Maggie, but a little too old to be playing a 12 year old.

The music is brilliant, though a little dated and every time I see this movie it brings back all the nostaglia of growing up in the 80s.

A definite must see no matter how many times you've watched it.

I still love this movie!

Author: Carrigon from United States
3 November 1999

I just rewatched it on the comedy channel. It's such a feelgood movie. It makes you want to dance. I always wished for a sequel. I would love to see how the characters turned out years later. Sarah and Helen are great in this movie. And I think Sarah did alot of her own stunts because she was doing gymnastics at the time. The dancing is great and the music is pure 80's fun. The movie has a good storyline that moves along with just the right amount of suspense and timing. This is a fun, feelgood dance movie. I highly recommend it.

Great movie if you're a dancer - inspiring.

Author: j_lee_t from Australia
5 April 2005

Again I watched this movie a long time ago when i was just thinking about starting dance classes. As with all movies with a heavy soundtrack from the 80's - it has aged. But I still love it and watch it at least once a year with my best friend, if not only just to remind us of high school. It was great watching Sarah, Helen and (to a lesser degree) Shannon's careers move on from here. It was a pity that Lee's career never surfaced again (unless we take into account "Models Inc".

If you have ever been an aspiring dancer, someone in their 30's reminiscing about the 80's or just someone that loves a stereotypical Hollywood climax - you will love this too.

Awesome movie!

Author: minnymate from London
31 January 2007

Loved it- why had I not heard about this movie?! (my mate picked it up randomly in a sale!)

Big hair, leotards and leg warmers- dirty dancing meets fame, meets flash dance, meets many other cheesy 80s movies! I am now seeing SJP and Helen Hunt in a whole new light- they can dance! And Sarah Jessica Parker is HOT! Also, the soundtrack is brilliant...

Perfect for a night in with the girls with a bottle of wine!

If you haven't already BUY THIS MOVIE- you'll wanna see it more than once, and make sure all your friends see it too!

:-D

One of my favorites!!

Author: Angela McCormick
9 July 2001

I have a soft spot for cheesy 80's comedies, and this is DEFINITELY near the top of my list! With awesome music, 80's-clever dialogue, and the amazing Sarah Jessica Parker, it just can't be beat. Also starring a young and oh-too-cute Shannen Doherty, this movie is what I watch when I need a quick pick-me-up. It's fabulous!

The best of cheesy 80's flics!

Author: Heather Willard from Cedar Rapids, Iowa
28 June 1999

I loved this movie - I've seen it probably a hundred times. Besides the all-star cast of Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt, Shannen Doherty and Jonathan Silverman - it's just a fun movie! The dancing is good - the music is fun! I just love it!!!

Dancing in Heaven

Author: leiala from Los Angeles, CA
18 June 1999

If you didn't first see this movie between the ages of 8 and 15, you probably won't experience the same joy and nostalgia as those of us lucky enough to have seen it in those golden years of our lives.

Today I found out that two girls in my office also love this movie, and it was like finding two kindred spirits. My sister and I used to watch this movie over and over again on cable. Yes, it's predictable and cheesy, but that's what's so fun about it! And was 80s pop culture (cheeseball pop music, teased hair, Velcro, loud clothes and dance TV programs--think "Solid Gold") ever so well documented on film?

Yes, you can watch Helen Hunt in her Oscar-winning performance in "As Good As it Gets"...but wouldn't you rather watch her become "Miss D-TV"?

Ah, the memories...

Nice Popcorn Session

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 August 2004

Janey Glenn (Sarah Jessica Parker) is a teenager newcomer in Chicago, who loves the TV show Dancing in TV. In the Catholic school, she becomes friend of Lynne Stone (Helen Hunt), who also loves to dance and invites her to an audition to be part of the show. However, her tough father, who raises Janey in a military environment, does not accept her participation in the audition, and she has lots of trouble to escape for the competition. The rich Natalie Sands (Holly Gagnier) tries to use the influence and power of her wealthy father to win the competition. This silly movie is crowded of teenager starlets. It is funny to see names such as Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt, Jonathan Silverman, Shannen Doherty, in the beginning of their careers, playing very goofy and foolish roles. However, the story is nice, there are good songs from the 80´s and in the end, it is an attractive and forgettable entertainment. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): `Dançando na TV' (`Dancing in TV')

The best eighties film u should see at least once

Author: kayla morley (michaelamorley@yahoo.co.uk) from kent, england
31 August 2004

this is one of the best films i even seen. this is a feel good film for all those who love having fun and giggles. it is one of my fave films and watch it at least 3 times a week since finally finding it on DVD after many years of not seeing it. it is packed with comedy and romance and had my sides splitting with some classic quotes. the cast is great and there is a definite chemistry between them all. if u r gonna see an eighties movie just once in ur life then make it Girls Just Want To Have Fun. Get ur girlie mates round for a gossip and stick this film on and munch on the popcorn while laughing at Helen Hunt as Lynn, Sarah Jessica Parker as Janey and drool over the really nice looking guy Lee Montgomery aka Jeff with his dorky friend Drew.

Cute, girly fun, a bit dated but, overall, quite nice

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
19 December 2007

Jane (Sarah Jessica Parker) is the daughter of a stern Air Force officer. They have moved around so much that she has gone to at least a dozen different schools. However, the family has just settled in Chicago, with an intention to stay awhile. This is good news for Janie, for she dearly loves a national television show that is shot in Chicago, Dance TV and she hopes to catch a live viewing. After Janie makes her first close friend at school, Lynn (Helen Hunt), they both discover that Dance TV is looking for a new dance couple to be featured on the show and that the executives are holding a tryout very shortly. Lynn encourages Janie to audition, even though it will mean cutting a few classes and sneaking out to practice, as Jane's father must not know about it. Making it to the finals, Janie is paired with handsome Jeff (Lee Montgomery) and they begin to rehearse every night. But, will Janie's father find out? And, can they really win the darn thing when another contestant, rich and spoiled, is trying to get her father to rig the event? This is a cute movie with a big heart. Parker, in one of her first major roles, is enchanting as the strong-willed but soft-hearted Janie, who doesn't wait for boys to kiss her, she kisses them first! Hunt provides great support, as does Montgomery, Shannen Doherty (very young), and especially Jonathan Silverman as a money-scheming friend of Jeff's. Yes, the film looks a bit dated, with its 80's costumes and pedestrian camera work. But, the dance scenes are quite energetic while gal-themed movies with good values and strong-female roles are always welcome for young viewers everywhere. If you and your daughters want to share an upbeat, follow-your-heart movie, with humor and sweetness, this is a wonderful choice. All who do will just have fun, indeed.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]