IMDb > Fast Forward (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Fast Forward More at IMDbPro »

I Thought I Saw It All!

Author: dgordon-1 from Toronto, Canada
31 March 2003

I thought I had seen all of the obscure '80s flicks back in the '80s like "Paradise Motel" & "My Man Adam". I came across "Fast Forward" on one of the arts oriented TV stations here in Toronto, and I was amazed that I never saw or heard of this movie before. Another surprise was that it was directed by Sidney Poitier, and the music direction was by Quincy Jones! It was an obvious attempt to cash in on the "Flashdance" & "Breakin" movies of the era. It also reminded me of a drive-in classic that movie critic Ron Base co-wrote called "Heavenly Bodies". "Fast Forward" is about 8 high school seniors (this is laughable because the cast look like they are in their mid 20s) that journey to New York City to make it big in the music biz. This movie is over acted, has lame dialogue, and is all out total cheese! Even though it has all of the aforementioned qualities, it is still enjoyable to watch! It's a combination of the fact that Sidney Poitier directed this made for drive-in classic, the Quincy Jones influenced the music, the dancing and the pure '80s nostalgia of it all. It's also funny to see Michael DeLorenzo (pre-"New York Undercover") with eyeliner and major '80s hair! I had to add this priceless slice of the '80s to my collection. If you enjoy '80s dance oriented movies, then this one is a must have for your library!

Memories, Memories!

Author: dopey406 from United States
7 February 2006

Okay, so the acting isn't necessarily Oscar-worthy, and I'll be the first to admit that it's really pretty cheesy. But this movie was one of my favorites as a kid and it still brings back warm fuzzy feelings when I see it. The dancing is great--I knew every step when I was little--and you can't shake a stick at a great success story. For an 80's movie, I thought it was well done. Who didn't want to have a cool apartment with crates for tables and live with all of their friends? It's a film-version of the kind of life everyone wanted at some point. I know I would have LOVED to run away as a teenager and get a place with my friends--and to dance like that? I love this movie!!!!!

I know I'm not the only one.

Author: BrianTBC from Am I the only one who likes this film
9 January 2000

For some reason, the unabashed cheesiness and dated quality makes me enjoy this film. It's so innocent compared to today's standards. Whenever this movie would come on HBO, my eyes would be completely agog. The film is like a warped form of escapism for me. Watching 5 kids from the streets of Sandusky rise to the top in the Big Apple is just a sight for sore eyes. I love the music in the film, it's repetitive, addictive, and Fame-esque. My favorite song is at the end during the credits called "Long As We Believe." You people be sure to look out for that song because it will be a hit again. Concluding, I wouldn't recommend buying this film, but if you are ever up during the wee hours of the morning and happen to be watching cable TV, give this movie a chance!

Better than Breakin', Classic Dance Movie!

Author: carrarts from United States
13 January 2007

When this movie was released in theaters in the 80s, they gave free passes to area dance schools. My entire class went to see it. I was about 7 years old, but we thought it was the coolest movie we'd ever seen. I started wearing a bandanna headband in my curly hair along with snug fitting jeans and sneakers to emulate one of the characters. Between trips to the theater and watching the movie on VHS, I probably spent 40 - 50 hours of my childhood watching this movie! The dancing in this movie is great, especially the prerequisite "dance off" between the Sandusky kids and the tough New Yorkers. The New York dancers in this movie could have danced circles around the guys in Breakin'.

I found my VHS tape a couple of years ago and watched this movie again. I still love it. Cheesy, yes-- but all dance movies are. Fast Forward is one of the best. When will they release it on DVD!?

A must have for aspiring dancers!

Author: witerary from Philippines
4 October 2008

I've been in love with this film since it came out in mid-80s. I was a dance choreographer in high school.

The story was fresh, inspiring and even though people think it's cheesy by today's standards (or back then), the romance and pure ambition of then unknown casts (who were great dancers) were uplifting and makes you root for them till the end of the story.

The soundtrack was a hit and i remember knowing every lyrics by heart, dancing to the upbeat tunes. As you watch and listen, a rush of good nostalgia comes in. Sure, acting may be bad and corny, but it gives you a heady rush. You can't help but think Sidney Poitier just wanted to have fun when he directed this.

Needless to say, I was addicted to this movie then. I had the moldy VHS, the cassette tape, and the moves...well, I copied the choreography in school.

In short, it was a feel good inspirational story for artists and performers, even until now (if you can get hold of a copy, that is, because watching clips on youtube just isn't enough). No one ever did a similar musical film where you don't worry that your kid will catch it on late night cable with sex scenes filled in between.

Plus the songs are so danceable and the simple plot memorable. Never mind the cheesy warmers. Listen to the tunes today, and they will still be as likable as yesterday.

I still have a video of it now in my files. A friend converted his copy to avi when I suddenly craved for it sometime in 2008 and couldn't find it on the net. It's something Sir Sidney will remember with pride and joy in his lifetime. Same fond memories that will sweep the 80s generation who still remember it fondly.

Sometimes, I would take a short peek and my tears would well up because I remember my prime as a performer, even as I now see glaring little flaws in un-synchronized movements and lousy dialogs all too clearly. Never mind, small stuff.

For a musical movie, this is 80s tops.

I loved this movie

Author: lifeissweet16 from United States
25 November 2009

I watched this movie over and over and over when I was a kid. I wish I could still find it somewhere today. It's not for sale on Amazon, Netflix doesn't have it.

I loved the story and the music. But that was more than 20 years ago now, so I don't know what I think of it as an adult.

In all honesty, I might hate it now. But as a child, I loved trying to copy the dance moves. I thought Erin Gray was in this, but I don't see her on the cast list. If anyone knows where I can find this or has a copy to sell, please let me know. I highly recommend it if you can find it anywhere.

Fast Forward

Author: yourthirdgirl from Woonsocket, RI
21 December 2006

although obscure, still embraced...by me, at the very least. i think this film is so overlooked. i really do believe it's an amazing film. the dance sequences aren't totally breathtaking, but they're still captivating. the acting can be so extreme, but still convincing. the music may not be overtly popular, but i know that i know every single word to each track in the movie. i have this film on VHS. though i guess it's considerably understandable why it wasn't more widely released, i'm sad that it hasn't gone to DVD. i also think owning the soundtrack would be amazing, but i'm sure that's not going to happen. honestly, this is one of my favourite movies!

Best movie ever.

Author: aimeek_00 from United States
24 November 2006

Obviously this movie is not a cinematic masterpiece, but I gave it a 10 out of 10 because it is the funniest effin' thing I have ever seen.

I used to watch it every day with my sister and brother when we were kids, and we'd try to do all the dances while falling all over the place and breaking lamps. We just found this in a closet yesterday, and I was so excited I nearly peed my pants.

If you want something to laugh your ass off at for an hour or so, watch this movie...it's got horrible '80s clothes, leg warmers, sick facial hair, really big bangs, and men in tights with very noticeable bulges. Totally hilarious.

A Dancer's Movie!

Author: threedropsofcaramel from United States
30 January 2006

This is a movie about a bunch of kids from Sandusky, Ohio who all move to NY to pursue their dream of becoming famous dancers. They wind up finding out the hard way that living in the Big Apple is both dangerous and expensive! To make money as well as hone their dance skills, they end up dancing on the streets of NY and developing a fan base so that they can also book gigs. During this time, another group of dancers from the city, led by a street dancer named Caesar, who have somewhat made a name for themselves don't really appreciate the new kids on the block taking over their turf. They wind up having a dance-off at a popular club called the Zoo in NY, only to have their hats handed to them and sending them back to the drawing board.

In hopes of winning a huge dance competition where they could receive national attention, they realize they still have a lot of work to do. They also need new moves since it appears, all of their old moves are outdated. They hit every club in the city, studying and practicing until they are ready for the competition - and a final showdown with Caesar's boys at the infamous club, "The Zoo".

This movie is filled with incredible dance scenes, great music and it is a true coming-of-age film that follows the trials of trying to "make it" in whatever you do. They have to break a few rules, cut some corners and dodge some fights, but in the end, the hard work pays off.

Fast Forward 1985 and now 2006

Author: koreen-1 from Canada
23 June 2006

21 years ago this movie was released and people are still watching and talking about it!! That is a success to me.

I feel this movie is worth, not only watching but buying or renting as well. I own it on VHS and I always have it playing while I am doing housework just for the good music in the background. With dancing being so popular now, ballroom, hip hop, and and other kinds of dancing, I feel this movie would do really well sold on DVD. If they can digitally master others then they can this one.

I consider it a "feel good" movie because they reach their goal in life. At the end of this movie you will have a smile on your face and be tapping your foot to the music. With Sidney Poitier directing how can you go wrong?

"Fast Forward" sends you a good message. Never give up!