IMDb > Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A Childhood Classic

Author: Chris St.Pierre from United States
4 April 2005

First things first, both this movie and the "Ewok Adventure" were made for TV-movies. Therefore, to compare them to Star Wars is unfair due to the differences in budgets and people on board. That being said, I love this movie! Both The Battle For Endor and The Ewok Adventure were childhood favorites of mine. The story is still entertaining, albeit still on a child's level. But that's OK, because that's what these movies were meant for. George Lucas continues to show us again and again how to believe in fantasy and have fun. I recommend watching this movie with the whole family, and if you're into the Star Wars Universe like myself, you'll certainly get a kick out it.

Despite some reviews, I think both the Battle For Endor and the Ewok Adventure are fun and well done (for TV) movies.

A Great Lucas-Tale For Kids

Author: Lady Amalthea from New Jersey
6 December 2000

I know that many Star Wars fans resent the Ewoks for adding cuteness and comic relief to Return of the Jedi. I also know that they relate him to Jar-Jar Binks, the obnoxious, terribly written character from Episode I. However, I disagree with them. I did not think that the Ewoks served the same purpose as Jar-Jar. I did not like Jar-Jar in Episode I. I found his humour juvenile--but I understand why it was. The humour was juvenile because Episode I was aimed toward a new generation of Star Wars fans: children. The Battle for Endor and its prequel, Caravan of Courage, are spinoffs from Star Wars using the fuzzy little creatures that helped out the Rebels on the forest moon of Endor in that galaxy far, far away. The movie is for children, and teaches important lessons. It deals with issues that children are not usually exposed to, such as death, grief, and abandonment. It also tells children that family is whoever loves you and will care for you, regardless of apparent differences. When I was very, very little, the Ewok movies were my very favourite. My mother gave me a present when I had successfully been potty-trained: a Wicket stuffed animal (just to let you know HOW young I was when I watched these movies). I remember years later seeing Return of the Jedi for the first time, when it premiered on television. That movie enthralled me as well, but at the end, I was surprised and excited to see my little friends, the Ewoks, getting in on the action as well. I don't think the Ewoks spoiled anything in Return of the Jedi--they are not unlike other Lucas creatures. They serve their purpose of being the indigenous species of Endor, and so big deal if they are tiny and furry. Its allowed once in a while. So chill out, and let kids enjoy the movies.

Surprisingly dark movie with only side characters and sidekicks

Author: peefyn from Norway
9 December 2015

This movie is surprisingly dark at times, and for no clear reason. It doesn't explore the dark things that happen very much (there is one "dream"-scene which is the exception to this), and it's not really necessary to the plot. There would be plenty of ways to write around it. I don't mind a movie like this having dark sides (see what I did there?), but if you don't explore them or put them to use, they serve no purpose, and is only in the way of the story.

But fair enough, lets look away from that. The movie follows Cindel and Wicket - both feeling more like sidekicks than they do protagonists. They end up in trouble a couple of times, and after a while meet Teek and Neo. These are more like side characters, the good helpers the hero meets on his way. The four of them works as a group in a sense, but even when they have a clear purpose, it feels like they have no aim. I think the movie wants Wicket to be the main hero of this movie. It's hard to have clumsy and heroic characters at the same time, but it is possible.

The story is not really that interesting, and some of the plot elements in the movie feels a bit out of place, especially the ring and the witch-like Charal-character. It all builds up to the final battle for Endor, which is an obvious attempt to capture the magic from Star Wars episode VI. The battle is alright, but because neither the heroes nor the villains are particularly interesting, the big battle itself doesn't really grab a hold of you.

Like in the previous Ewok film, the most interesting part are the visuals. This movie has some nice stop motion, especially the creatures the marauders ride. I also quite like the Teek character. Some of the scenes with him running are great fun.

While I appreciate what they tried to do here: give the story some gravitas, create an ensemble of interesting characters on a quest, risking everything for each other, etc. etc. - it just doesn't work, and the charm from the previous movie is not to be found in this one. At least not as strongly.

I love this movie

Author: chunkylover56 from United States
7 September 2005

I didn't think the first ewok movie was terrible like someone said, (both movies were unique in their own way) but I think Battle for Endor is a little better because the story is darker than the first one. I used to watch the ewok movies growing up, and I loved it. I don't know why, but for some reason, every time I watch an ewok movie, I end up watching the whole thing.

In both Ewok movies, I like the simplicity and irony of the characters and the creative way the characters solve problems (at one point wicket builds a glider to escape when he and cindel were stuck on a cliff). There were some interesting characters in Battle for Endor, like that little creature that runs really fast.

Even though the effects aren't as good as the new star wars movies, I think anyone can enjoy watching these because the stories are so simple and very touching. You really care for the characters and it's too bad George Lucas's new Star Wars movies aren't like that!

The Battle For Endor!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
7 May 2002

This is one of the great movies of the 80s in MY collection that I think about all the time.

Back in the early 80s there were two good movies about the the Ewoks from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. Both film have the spirit of the Star Wars film in MY opinion and especialy ROTJ. Both films are sad in a way but they are never boring and both have good special effects and the whole nine. Both film has some great music aswell!

Seeing Wilford Brimley in this film is a treat. The begging is quite sad but this feature is never boring and like the other its action packed. Fans of Brimley and Star Wars should see this!

Actually redeemed the Ewoks for me

Author: MissSimonetta from United States
8 February 2016

I expected to either be bored or have a good laugh while watching the made for television Ewok films. While there are indeed dumb moments and bad acting in some spots, these Ewok films are actually watchable and have an almost Grimms Brothers fairy tale like darkness about them. Out of the two, The Battle for Endor (1985) is much stronger.

The movie is dark from the start: the little girl from the first sees her entire family die in an ambush and has to rely on Wicket, a weird monkey with supersonic speed, and an old man named Noah who's been stranded on Endor for decades. The lot of them are menaced by a warlike clan of monsters and their sorceress accomplice.

Really the whole thing feels more like your typical 1980s fantasy movie than a Star Wars flick, but it's a solid work in its own right. You actually care about the Ewoks and hope they make it through their adventure. It touches on themes of family and even death in ways that move. Definitely rough around the edges (and it IS odd to hear Wicket speak English-- yes he speaks English in this), but certainly not bad.

Enjoyable enough, but is it Star Wars?

Author: The_Only_Man_Who_Can from United Kingdom
25 January 2006

As a kid I really enjoyed the first Ewok TV-movie, so I jumped at the chance to watch that and this sequel again when it was released on DVD. It may be the nostalgia, but I still really enjoyed 'Ewoks: The Caravan of Courage, despite it's flaws.

However, I found Battle for Endor a little harder to like, mainly due to the baffling inclusion of a medieval army that seem to have come right out of 'Willow' (which is kind of ironic, considering who's involved with this movie).

I just... don't understand! Given that Wicket speaks English in this movie I can only assume that Battle for Endor takes place after Return of the Jedi. If so, how come we never hear of the Empire (or the rebels) deal with this race of vicious monsters who live in a castle not too far from where Wicket's Ewok tribe live? Also, what did these baddies think was going on when there was a flippin' moon sized battle station hanging in the sky? Did anyone see the huge saucer built by the Empire to generate the second death star's shield? Any attempt to explain this stretches credibility, unless this film is set far before ROTJ, the Ewoks are immortal, and Wicket simply refused to speak English when Leia, Luke and the others showed up.

As a stand alone film however, it's a fairly enjoyable adventure, despite ticking every cliché in the book. I did find it odd that the entire first film was about the rescue of the children's parents, while in the second all but one of the family are slaughtered by the baddies. It may just be me, but I felt it devalued what was achieved in the first. If you really have to see an Ewok movie, stick with 'Caravan of Courage.' (Oh, and Return of the Jedi. Yes).

Visuals add more sparks to this Ewok follow-up.

Author: Jason C. Atwood from Suffolk, Virginia
15 May 1999

This steady-going follow-up is simply both more and less. Even though the stop-motion effects look out of date, the visual quality is an improvement over the previous Ewok adventure. You won't be seeing too many strings attached anymore, and the costume appearances are much cleaner. What it lacks for the continuous thrills and excitement of the last one greatly gains in the characters including "Cindel", "Noa", and the stellar cast of Ewoks. Both movie adventures aren't too shabby when it comes to George Lucas' imaginable sensations, but does this mean they're an absolute must-have for every STAR WARS collector? Hmmm....

Almost as good as Star Wars

Author: TheHande
30 December 2006

The Battle for Endor makes a number of improvements that luckily make it over-all a better film than the previous "Caravan of Courage". The film's mood is decisively darker and more serious, its cinematography is cleaner and for this it almost manages to capture the flavour of "The Return of the Jedi" and other bigger Star Wars films.

Moreover, the film does away with the dreadful narrator of the first film by allowing Wicket to speak and simultaneously giving him more character. In all, the characters of BFE are far more colourful and interesting than those of the previous film. Additionally the aliens, the Marauders, add a nice sinister element which makes the film all the more dramatic.

The only points of criticism for the film are undoubtedly its kid-friendly story and the character of Noa who delivers a number of unconvincing lines throughout the picture.

None the less, The Battle for Endor is just exciting enough so that it wont traumatize the kids and will make the film fun for the adults as well.

This makes me a sad panda

Author: Prohvetoija
2 September 2011

Don't bother to look any connection to Star Wars. Movie was lot closer to basic fantasy with few laser guns. Ewoks aren't that brave jungle-tribe they were. Just bunch of glass-eyed fat idiots fooling around. Stuffed replacement for Three Stooges x 10

Effects can't be called special. Harryhausens creatures from early movies are at least on the same level with two-legged lizards in this. Bad guys wear very stiff and lifeless rubber masks

Most disgusting thing in this movie was still main character. I've never hated child actress this much. She looks more like coming from make-up for children's beauty contest then middle of forest. Main point seems to be make her look as cute and clean as possible, and take care she reads all her lines in most annoying childish tone.

After these things pissing me off so much, I don't have any reason to comment about plot or other fails of the movie.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]