IMDb > The Emerald Forest (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Emerald Forest

The Emerald Forest More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Racist ethnocentric bullshit movie with good rain forest shots

Author: sukhan-22-768673 from Germany
31 October 2015

Pelo amor de deus, this movie is certainly one of the most racist and ethnocentric movies ever made. Hard to believe that it is from 1985 and not 1885. Boorman illustrated the average white "civilized" persons imagination of "primitive" tribes who by and large behave like a bunch of monkeys. Or, worse than that, cannibalistic monkeys who disguise like African zombies from another white mans fantasy. The acting is so poor and clumsy that it is almost comical, and, worst of all, the fake "Indian" language is just a slightly distorted English with even the exact same amount of syllables as the English sentence would have. This movie so utterly ridiculous - and discriminatory - that its stupid colonialist disdainfulness towards indigenous people almost completely destroys its somewhat ecological message.

Excellent Movie

Author: nightingale_paa from United States
8 January 2007

I thought that the movie was dramatic with heart touching scenes.

I would like to see a sequel to this movie.

The ending does leave one to wonder what will happen to the Invisible People.

Also a story line could be built on the idea that Tomme is now the Chief.

A future sequel could show us how the tribe has thrived under the leadership of Tomme.

This sequel could also show us Tomme and Kachiri and their family.

I would like to see Tomme teaching his children about the traditions that were passed down to him from his adopted father Wanadi.

The Emerald Forest

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
3 December 2006

Tommy is taken from his family by an Amazon tribe called "The Invisible Ones" and father Bill spends ten years searching for him. After finding a few leads, he has an encounter with a dangerous cannibal tribe called "The Fierce Ones" and actually stumbles on his son as he tries to flee for his life. The dilemma of the piece comes with a decision left up to Tommy, leave his tribe which are essentially his real family after ten years of living with them or joining his father in the modern civilization across the river.

The film is more a focus on how modernization, progress if you will, has began to wipe out the trees and land of Amazon tribes as they slowly die out. Interesting enough is that Bill is a model example of this type of progress as he heads a log dam which clears land once civilized by The Fierce Ones tribe. He will spend time with The Invisible Ones tribe and find the error of his ways seeing that what he and others(White Man)are doing to people who have lived here for centuries destroying cultures. We also see how the ugliness of prostitution has became a stigma to tribes as The Fierce Ones trade women from The Invisible Ones tribe for machine guns. Using the machine guns, The Fierced Ones have a clear advantage over The Invisible Ones and their mere spears. Again, through that we see how progress can also destroy a civilization..The Fierce Ones can wipe out who they deem a threat and/or nuisance with advanced weaponry.

When The Invisible Ones lose a great deal of their men to those machine gun attacks, Tomme(his name amongst his tribe)will search for his father across the river for help to get back their women who have been traded to a prostitution house.

Stunning cinematography(by Philippe Rousselot)and score are highlights of this amazingly shot film set in the Amazon. Through Boorman's fluid camera-work, we follow the characters as they travel to destinations in the immense forest, yet see what is happening as modernization is chopping away the trees that once populated said Amazon forest. I thought the angle of the modern age clashing with tribal customs in the form of Tommy to be the strong point of the film while the progress part of the film as it pertains to the cultures being wiped out laid on a bit too thick. I didn't quite like the remaining twenty minutes(the deal with the prostitution ring resulting in heavy violence and the whole rain ordeal as it destroys the dam) as much as the first hour as Powers Booth's Bill was amongst a culture of people he knew nothing about. Seeing his son almost completely tribal is interesting not to mention the viewer getting a glimpse into a unique culture of people and their ways of living. The mythological aspects were also diverting from the realism of the film(if a wee bit silly).

Young Charley Boorman is quite impressive as Tomme.

A Boorman Classic

Author: kris-oak from Sweden
17 May 2006

A movie that totally blew me away when I first saw it. Somehow I've missed out on anything like it if there is. Why?

It contains action, drama and has somewhere I think a conscience, but I'm not sure.

Mr Boorman is such a talented filmmaker who every time somethings bordering on getting personal, might it be action or drama or feelings in general, put a little distance between the audience and the camera again. Its not much, hardly noticeable.

What is does however is that it render the movie tones of reality, tiny pieces of documentary that somehow also makes it a powerful statement without indulging in pointers. Still its no lame movie. It just has nuances

This might be seen as total contrast to many Hollywood action movies, who instead indulge themselves in personal feelings of the protagonists, and even heighten them technically, in order to manipulate the audience to co-feeling. We as an audience are relieved of the responsibility of our feelings, somewhat.

Mr Boorman leaves us with a choice.

Something about the story then: An American architect works in south America, on the border of the Amazon, One day his young son is kidnapped by indians....cant tell you more. Sorry... :). This is the start off.

A must see....

Eye-Popping Amazonian Rainforest Adventure Drama

Author: ShootingShark from Dundee, Scotland
22 May 2005

A construction designer working in the Amazon is visiting a logging site with his family when his seven-year-old son Tommy is kidnapped by native tribesmen and vanishes into the rainforest. Ten years later, after an expedition in which he is captured by cannibals, the father is finally reunited with the son, who has been raised by the savages and knows no other way of life.

This is a pretty unique picture, even if the roots of the story obviously come from Tarzan, because it manages to be three things at once; an exciting jungle action flick, an intimate family drama and a sobering environmental message movie. It manages to achieve this I think partly because of the excellent script by Rospo Pallenberg, and partly because there are no big-shot movie stars in the cast looking ridiculous in the jungle. Boothe and Foster are both terrific and virtually everyone else is an authentic-looking non-actor (Polonah in particular, as Wanadi, the Chief of the Invisible People and Tommy's surrogate father, is superb). The casting of the director's son in the pivotal role is a bit ethically shaky, but the younger Boorman is not only ideal for the role (his almost-too-good-looking features and brilliant blonde locks contrast perfectly with the tribespeople) but he delivers a carefully measured performance of confident innocence. The heartachingly beautiful locations, the rich detail of the Invisible People's customs and a terrific electro-ethnic score by Junior Homrich all add tremendous atmosphere to an extremely original and captivating film. A jungle adventure not to be missed.

Waste of time

Author: tatsii from Finland
14 August 2012

The plot is about a father who is trying to find his son from the jungle where a group of Indians captured the boy when he was just a child. The movie depicts very unconvincingly the life of this isolated Indian tribe with which the boy grows up. In the same time the western world is destroying the nearby jungles - cutting off trees and building a big dam.

The story is quite uninteresting and the acting is mediocre at best, horrible at worst. The viewer doesn't relate with the characters at all. There is also a pro-environmental point of view in the movie, but it is left under all kinds of corny non-sense.

There are million ways this movie could have been better: the relationship of the son and the father could have been depicted more and better, or the movie could have concentrated more clearly on the environmental issues. But all that we remember after seeing this two-hour-long movie is some imaginary Indian tribe (in which all the women seem to be young and beautiful girls) taking hallucinogens and speaking their mumbo jumbo language. If I was Native American, I'd be insulted.

The only reason that I watched this movie was because it got good reviews in the local newspaper (this is something I am very disappointed in) and it seems to have gotten quite a good average rating in IMDb.com also (which is unbelievable). It's not the worst movie in the history of cinema, but even with just a little better script, directing and acting it would have been much more enjoyable flick.

to Mr. Fedor Markovic

Author: boris12-1 (boris12@hotmail.com) from Spain
19 July 2007

Regarding Mr. Fedor Markovic comment, I would say "what we have forgotten" is that we belong to the Earth, we are just part of it, not the owners. It is as simple as that, and this is a quite old, tribal, basic knowledge that we seem to have forgotten. For what I know, the Gilgamesh poem already dealt with this subject, and it was written quite a few years ago. We are very clever, very civilized, advanced human beings, but maybe we are not improving. Maybe we are not progressing, but we are declining. And we don't remember, we don't know how to use our knowledge. However, I doubt Mr. Markovic can realize. He is very comfortable sitting at his sofa.

Wonderful movie

Author: Olle L (runnerludd@yahoo.com) from Stockholm, Sweden
8 April 2001

This is a wonderful movie. I have watched this movie several times when I was growing up. It is a great storie and a well made movie. It's been at least 7 or 8 years since I watched it but I remember it like it was yesterday. The story with the father searching for his son in the jungle by himself with a "gun?" and he indians trying to stop him, very well done. The part when they are drugged is perhaps "bad" but otherwise great. It is one of the great eighties-movies that meant a lot to me, especially watching it with my parents. Looking forward seeing it on teve again some time.

Best skin flick I ever saw.

Author: Razzbar from usa
25 February 2000

I have to admit what I liked most about this movie was the "authentic costumes" of the Amazonian people in their natural habitat -- they were 98% naked. This is however, NOT your basic titillating "skin flick" in spite of what my summary says. The nudity was tasteful and totally appropriate...

OTOH, the acting was weak, and the fake indian language was downright embarassing. I think I heard Tommy's indian father say "dizzy Monday" when referring to the civilized world! This made me wonder about the authenticity of the other aspects of indian life presented in the movie -- for example, the coming of age, selecting and proposing a wife, and a marriage ceremony. I would like to believe that is how it's really done by one or another people in the Amazon, but just don't know.

All in all, I did enjoy the movie quite a lot, but mostly for the visual beauty. For a better-produced Amazon movie, see "At Play in the Fields of the Lord".

Important, touching, and beautiful

Author: SHAWFAN from United States
7 August 1999

The quintessential eco-drama of civilization, so-called, in conflict with cultures more attuned to nature. Compare to Greystoke: the Legend of Tarzan. My favorite quote from this film is the native chief explaining the limitations on his powers to the father of the long-lost boy: "Any chief who doesn't tell his followers what they want to hear doesn't stay chief very long." Do see this beautiful and poignant movie.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]