The Metropol opened its doors on October 25, 1906, as both a theater and concert hall. In time, the theater section became redundant. Five years later, the building then functioned as a movie theater, the Lichtspiele Mozartsaal, and, during 1926, UFA took over its running. In 1930, a new look brought modifications and the look of Art Deco. By 1942, its name became Nollendorf Palast. In 1951, it became the Metropol, which, also, had known many names: Mozartsaal, Mozartsaal Cinema, Nollendorf Palast, and the Neue Scala. In the 1970s, disco was its outlet and club kids enjoyed what was then the most popular nightspot in West Berlin.