IMDb > Creature (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Much Better Than You Might Think

Author: Ultimex_Varptuner from United Kingdom
29 August 2008

As a young lad I watched Creature or The Titan Find as it was boxed in the UK some time after my first exposure to the genius that is Alien.

At the time I was unable to pick out the often blatant rip-offs from Ridley Scott's masterpiece. I was however, scared sh*tless. The Titan Find creeped me out in a way that Alien, as magnificent as it is, simply didn't.

Years later my disgust at what has become of modern action and science-fiction films – rendered bloated by cost-cutting yet impotent CG effects has found me searching obscure websites for interesting films buried by the sands of time.

Put simply: I would much rather sit through a sleazy 1980's b-movie with dodgy acting than the modern breed of bloated, egocentric, cash cow, star vehicles.

Okay, so I shove the DVD of The Titan Find in the machine and discover that this film has obviously never had a proper DVD release and this is simply ripped from a VHS tape. Frankly, I don't mind, the grainy quality of the picture reminds me of the good old days of home video and stops some of the more shonky sets from looking too lame.

My next observation is the sheer lengths the film makers went to to emulate Alien. Even the score in the first half hour of the film sounds like it and the scene where the ship has a rough touch down on the surface of Titan is basically a direct transcript of the Nostromo's landing on LV426.

Yet, I still have feelings of nothing but love for this film. The reason for this is that underneath all the cheap emulation is a film that has it's own strong points. It is in fact a slice of lurid gore, loaded with cracking horror riffs all drenched in that delicious 1980's atmosphere.

If I may just go back in time once more and explain why I bothered to search this film out: Like many of you out there I have seen thousands of films over the years. Over ninety percent of them are consigned to the waste disposal chute of my mind. Destined to never be thought of ever again. Not so with the Titan find. Though it has been somewhere around the two decade mark since I watched it there are certain images, events and characters that are forever etched in my consciousness. As I watched the filmd anew last night and saw them again I was amazed that they have lost almost nothing with time. The bizarre image from the bridge of the space ship seconds before it crashes into the base at the beginning of the film is a profoundly disturbing moment even now and one that I found myself rewinding twice over before I continued.

Beyond that the first hour of the film (up until the monster's slightly disappointing reveal) is evenly peppered with wonderfully nasty stuff: Fennel being lured outside by his hot yet decaying girlfriend, the discovery of the German crew then Fennel's reappearance and gruesomely literal unmasking all still pack a punch and gorehounds will not be disappointed.

Despite some slightly B-movie acting The Titan Find even manages to notch up a few good characters with Bryce and Sladen providing diverse hotness with icy, post-Ripley cool in the former and cuddly, girly lovability in the latter. Oh yeah, and some bloke called Klaus Kinski is in it too, busting loose a few raw acting chops!

My only disappointment when comparing my memory to the modern reality was the final reel in which the creature itself is confronted. To be honest, the unpredictable, bloody atmosphere and creepy happenings leave the building completely as we see a ridiculous rubber model slug it out with the remaining survivors.

Happily the film makers obviously realised the monster was a bit crap and so hold it back until the final ten minutes. Search this film out and get your mind past the Alien-isms.

Take your time why don't ya!

Author: ElijahCSkuggs from Happy Land, who lives in a Gumdrop House on Lolly Pop Lane
17 January 2009

My reaction to hearing about Creature, "Klaus Kinski in a creature feature? Count me in, baby!" My reaction after watching Creature, "Ehhh, sh!t."

The story of Creature revolves around dueling spaceship companies (haha) who end up discovering on Saturn's moon, Titan, a creature who's been in slumber for over 2,000 centuries. That's alotta snoozin. So obviously when this creature wakes up it's gonna be hungry as hell. And low and behold it is. The crew discover that the German Spaceship Company has touched down before they have, and when they land they also learn that may have been a godsend. Because they're all dead. Well, besides Klaus. He managed to stay alive. Yay! Well, Kinksi, the romantic waitress from Pee Wee's Big Adventure and the rest of the American Spacemen are trying to figure out to get off this rock and survive the Creature's wrath while doing so.

Didn't I just make that sound awesome? No? Oh. Well, like my summary the movie isn't very awesome either. But it's not totally worthless. Klaus in his minuscule screen-time plays his part in a pretty likable way. The gore though not a lot wasn't that bad, the sets were pretty good but too dark, and the cheesy writing and decision making were enough to make you smile. The ending especially was chock full of stupidity. Anyways, all these ingredients made a decently cheesy flick. Oh, it was a tad too long as well.

I have to leave my biggest qualm (word of the day) for the end of his utterly pathetic review. The Creature was a total disappointment. By the looks of it on the cover it looks like a freak monster ant-eater type thing. And it's cool. But when it's on camera it didn't shine at all. To make matters worse here the creature may possibly be the slowest villain in history of capable villains. Jason does that slowass walk thing but he manages to keep up. This thing literally takes 2 second steps, but still it manages to keep right up. There was one scene where they had the Creature in the distance trudging forward while the guy's screaming "Hurry up!". The dude's freaking out for no reason because the creature probably made about 3 feet in all the time he was panicking.

What a stupid review, huh? Anyways, if you like Alien ripoffs, Klaus Kinski, that chick from Pee Wee's Big Adventure, little bits of nudity and gore then check out Creature.

Space-Cheese !!!

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
21 August 2003

Of course, this isn't a very good movie. In fact, it's pretty bad but I'm a whole different kind of movie-critic when I watch movies like this. Everybody needs some brainless and fun films to relax from time to time and William Malone's Creature is the perfect film for that. Creature is an shameless ripoff of Alien and it also stole several elements from John Carpenter's The Thing, but I hardly think that's a reason to ignore it completely. From the beginning of this picture you can easily point out those characters who're going to die but that's ok. You stay in your seat just to see in wich horrible ways they come to an end. These are the moments that make this film worth watching. Especially if you like a good share of blood, guts and gore. I tell you, some of the scenes are rated pretty high on the "vomit-scale". So, if you like to see heads flying around and love to see faces being ripped off...Creature is your cup of tea. All together, there are 2 major reasons to check this film out. The first one is the amazingly good musical score. I wasn't able so far to find out who made it, but I don't think they're big names in the field seeing the status of this flick. The score was a pleasant surprise and worth checking out. And last but not least... KLAUS KINSKI !! This guy is ( was...sorry ) a great actor. Without even trying he beats all the other acting-performances. Klaus clearly amused himself while playing the role of Hans Rudy Hofner and his own German accent really works here. I expected his role to be a little bigger but that's ok, the few times he's on screen are the most memorable ones. But it ain't really a big honor to be the best actor in this cast, though. All the others suck pretty bad. Wendy Schaal is very cute in her role of Beth but she can't act very well. That's ok, the girl who plays Susan can't act at all and above that she looks like David Bowie did during the 80's...and that's NOT a compliment !! I'm not even bothering to mention the rest of the cast. Oh, there is one last thing worth checking out on Creature. The very very stupid confession of Mrs. Bryce (Diane Salinger)at the end ...man, that's got to be the most ridiculous plot-twist I ever saw!! I laughed silly with that....4 out of 10

A bit more genre than the usual Alien/Aliens rip off

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
10 February 2007

This not-very-original sci-fi horror flick pits a mysterious alien with telepathic powers and very sharp teeth recovered from what appears to be an ancient intergalactic zoological collection by a corporate exploration expedition against the expedition's crew. The action takes place on Titan, one of Jupiter's larger moons.

The film starts out relatively strong although the script and directing are more than just a little off throughout the entire experience. A surprisingly well fleshed-out backstory is provided in the first 10-15 minutes of the film. As the crew are, of course, picked off one by one (none of them seem to have much in the way of basic survival training or even instincts), and the audience gets closer to seeing and understanding the alien, things fall apart pretty quickly.

Most of the acting is OK, but a little hamstrung by the weak script and generally poor direction, pacing and editing. Kinski makes the best of his cameo - a very strange role for him for since his enormous personality and screen presence do not fit comfortably into the quirky, somewhat perverse German engineer he plays. And Wendy Schaal does a nice job with her very poorly scripted character.

For the most part, the special effects are good. But the creature itself, who thankfully does not appear until fairly late in the film, is neither freightening nor very aesthetically interesting. There is really no pay-off in the creature's appearance - it's obviously a poorly animated rubber puppet, and some of the melee scenes are actually laughable. More judicious editing and cinematography would have made this a better film, but even with these imrpovements, the derivative plot and poor script would have probably limited its potential to about a 5 in my rating system.

An "Alien" rip-off-so what???

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
7 December 2001

"Creature" is an overlooked classic.It's scary,exciting and really gory in places.The plot is somewhat similar to "Alien",but I don't care.I'm not asking about highly original script,I just want to be scared and entertained.Klaus Kinski is simply amazing,and he even becomes a zombie!There's plenty of gore and violence plus a little bit of sleaze.All in all if you like gory sci-fi horrors check out this forgotten bloodbath.My other recommendations:"Alien","Humanoids from the Deep","Star Crystal","Alien Predator","Galaxy of Terror","Alien Contamination" etc.

Enjoyable ALIEN clone from William Malone

Author: udar55 from Williamsburg, VA
13 July 2011

Two corporations are competing to mine a 200,000 year old archaeological find on the Saturn moon Titan. The crew of the U.S. ship Shenandoah crashes on the lunar surface, only to find the Germans beat them there. But strange things are abound as the German ship is deserted except for a pesky alien. Lone survivor Hans (Klaus Kinski) tells of the horror his crew encountered from a mind controlling alien, but no one is quick enough to combat it this go around either. It's probably been about 20 years since I last saw this and this low budget production has held up really well. Director Malone is definitely trying to ape Ridley Scott's trend setter, but he ups the gore factor substantially. Malone also seems to be having fun here, as evidenced by the female lead coming up with a way to kill the creature by recalling a screening of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951). He even has a character reading a novelization of his debut feature SCARED TO DEATH (1981). The cast is good with the great Kinski doing his psycho German guy routine (shocking, right?). I wonder if he caused problems on the set as his character disappears, but then comes back zombified with clearly a double in his place.

What hides beneath the nitrogen clouds of Titan

Author: (Vomitron_G) from the Doomed Megalopolis of Blasphemous Technoids
7 March 2011

I have fond memories of "Creature (aka Titan Find)" and I can't deny it. I like it so much, I even want to rate it much higher than 4/10, so I'll just go ahead and do it. I saw it for the first time around the approximate age of 12-13 on a strangely compiled theatrical triple horror bill in one of my two hometown cinemas (together with Lamberto Bava's "Demons" and the Charlie Sheen vehicle "The Wraith"), so it's safe to say "Creature" left a life-long impression on me. Many years later now, I can still say that it is one of the best and most enjoyable "Alien" rip-offs ever produced (judged by cash-in standards, naturally). Sure it's a B-movie with anything but great acting... but there's gore (a wonderful head explosion!), nudity (horny naked undead blonde chick without a spacesuit while she was supposed to wear one), a nice-looking (though pretty rubbery) slimy creature-suit design with red glowing eyes, mind-controlling parasites, nifty-looking miniature spacecrafts and... Klaus Kinski as a German astronaut clearly having a lot of fun on the set and ignoring any guidelines from director William Malone. If you haven't grown up during the 80's & 90's getting acquainted with this type of sci-fi & horror movies, you might have a hard time getting into "Creature" and enjoying its dubious pleasures. Not to say: you're very likely to lack any form of appreciation for this type of (sub)genre cinema at all. I say it's great fun. Even a bit scary and atmospheric in some parts where it actually tries to be so, but that's maybe the kid still in me speaking. Yes, having watched "Creature" at a too young age in a big & dark old theatre, I can say it was a tense ride at the time. Does it matter that it's not anymore? Nah, it remains fun all the same. If you ever discovered it as a kid, that is.

You don't have to be original to amuse.

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
7 November 2008

If a film that gets trashed for ripping off 'Alien' (some around that period unfairly got lumped in that rip-off category, than really just riding on the back of it success), I always see this one being mentioned and to make matters worse it also got labelled as crappy b-grade hokum. Hey I can't deny some similarities (mainly the look of the alien) and routine structure, but I thought it was agreeably fun and soundly made feature that used its budget restraints to good use. It even manages to incorporate a 'few' unique novelties, like that of victims being transformed in to parasite-infected zombies to do the bidding of its alien guest. Um, has something like this been done before?

The film looks cheap, but director William Malone (hey I might like 'Scared to Death (1982)' more) does a commendably steady job of getting plenty of moody atmospherics from the confined low-budget sets (which is murkily photographed) and enough gory splatter to keep our minds at rest. Plus at an added bonus you get the flamboyant Klaus Kinski making a scene. Who knew watching someone munching a sandwich could be so mesmerizing. A small and unusual appearance, but what a scene it was. The rest of the performances end up being stiff, but there's the familiar faces of the credible Lyman Ward and Diane Salinger. Wendy Schaal makes for a wholesome leading girl.

The premise had something good to work with, but the script (with numerous references) is a turgidly silly mess and the real sore point. It really does go on to peter out with the main interest losing out the further along it goes, as you know every single step before it hit's the screen. Despite some nasty cracks and paranoid spells, the latter half just seems to get bogged down in some banal patches. Some of the make-up FX/special effects stand-up for what it had, but the alien costume isn't all that convincing that when it figures in its full glory. You can see why it mostly stays hidden in the dark up until then.

Accessible, but strictly fundamental none-the-same.

Suspenseful Monster Attack Nightmare in Outer Space!

Author: FireFan from United States
10 February 2014

This show gives the audience an honest attempt at a crisis-type movie like: Airport, Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake, and others in outer space where it tries to imitate but only to a degree the Aliens theme. It has decent acting and convincing settings. There are harsh conditions successfully portrayed- ironically with too dim photography and low lighting in certain scenes (imagine how turbulent conditions would be on some planets) but this is a well-intended effect and not because, as some viewers claim, it might be a low-budget B movie. There is lots of edgy friction between the astronauts and scary suspense. Several mishaps put together including a surprise appearance by Klaus Kinsky, which is set as another angle to the story, happen to the crew that seem impossible to cope with in this show and holds the audience in tension. There are disturbing occurrences going on, in part because of the volatile nature of the planet Titan where this all takes place. There is a scene which eerily, although graphically, emphasizes a female spaceman's physique because of the bizarre occurrences happening in this unstable atmosphere of Saturn's moon. This scene is a realistic, yet important, attempt that the movie makes at demonstrating the possibly intoxicating effects on people of poisonous atmospheres that are there in space which the crew have to deal with--just as authentic and technically-minded as a science fiction story by Robert Heinlein might have been written. The enemy monster in this show is reminiscent of an alien villain monster from Gerry Andersen's "Fireball XL -5", a science fiction television puppet show in the 1960's. Same sinister approaching movements although these actions are blurred a bit, but this monster is made on a larger scale of course. Movies like this one often times succeed in making Outer Space appear as believable to viewers as a negative Utopia might cause one to have a persistent dread. Creature is probably an underrated, and maybe under appreciated, film for this science fiction genre. It is a show very much worthy of your trying out!

A low budget alien gore fest delivering some good sci fi value

Author: Jason Hitson from United States
2 September 2012

I give this film a "7" mainly based on sentimental value because it is one of the earliest sci fi movies that I remember distinctly from my younger years (this came out on video when I was about 10 years old). The main thing I remember was the opening scene where one of the astronauts gets eaten through the seat of his pants as he sits on the creature's pod or egg or whatever it is (not much of a spoiler, but there it is). This is another one of those movies hoping to capitalize on the success of Alien by Ridley Scott. It takes the formula from Alien then copies it almost directly at times (even the opening credit scene panning across a distant planet is almost identical though not as well done). What is produced in the end...well it's no Alien for sure, but I sort of like it. I have a fondness for low budget sci fi that tries to present a film way beyond its means. The costumes and sets are pretty good and really, overall, its a creepy story. Compared to other sci fi greats, it's not much, but taken on its own, it's a good late night weekend find that is at least more entertaining than what you might find on TV these days.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]