IMDb > Commando (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Commando

Commando More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This movie was touched by God!

Author: YugoNinja from Slovenia
10 March 2007

Did it ever happen in your life that you've seen such a beautiful movie, such a perfect piece of art, such an unbelievable example of man-made splendor, such a gorgeous masterpiece that it hurt your eyes? Well, I did. And it wasn't the Schindler's List or the Lord of the Rings. No, it was the BEST action movie ever made. The BEST interpretation of the Governator. The BEST explosions. The BEST one-liners. The BEST plot. And the BEST tag-line. This movie is like the Art of Japanese gardening. Simple and beautiful. Balanced. Proportioned. There's just the right amount of everything. And there is just about everything that should go into an action movie: car chases, explosions, drug-lords, sex, an invincible hero, sitting-duck-like enemies, humor, knife duels, fist fights, rocket launchers, blood, death, bullets, glass, pectorals, muscles, some more muscles, explosions and more explosions. You need more? It's got Arnold. Need more? It's got Arnold with a sense of humor. Still more? It's got Arnold with a sense of humor and a rocket launcher. Put these three elements together and try to guess what happens. Destruction. On a mass scale. I won't give away the plot, because it is too intricate and surprising. Basically it is Arnie on a mission to save his daughter. That's about it. But what is important is not the fact that Arnie will save his daughter, but HOW will he save his daughter. Oh, are you saying that The Matrix is the best action movie of all time? Does The Matrix have Arnold Schwarzenegger? NO. Does Commando have the Matrix? YES. JOHN MATRIX, in fact. Oh, so you are saying that Neo dodges bullets? John Matrix doesn't need to. He is bulletproof. He eats bullets for breakfast. Need more proof? I thought so... I gave this Caravaggio painted on celluloid a 10 only because IMDb doesn't go to 11. This movie is so eye-blindingly beautiful I can't find the words to properly end my commentary and render justice to this cinematic masterpiece. So I will just use the movie's tag-line: Somewhere... somehow... someone's going to pay!

One of my all-time favorite movies

Author: Chromium_5 from Minnesota
15 January 2005

This is by far one of the greatest movies of the century. I can't believe what an awesome movie it is. It has no morals, no lessons to teach, no political statements, no coherence, and no sense whatsoever. When Schwarzeneggar's beloved daughter is kidnapped by a psychotic dictator, he doesn't try to reason with the bad guys or take precautions like most action heroes would. He just goes bonkers and starts killing everyone in sight. The movie is packed with fantastic scenes such as Arnie crashing a car at about 80 mph, without a seatbelt, and being perfectly fine, Arnie tearing a phone booth out of a wall, Arnie punching a guy through a wall, etc. It's gloriously entertaining.

Also, despite his reputation for bad acting, he delivers all his lines with perfect comic timing ("Let off some steam, Bennett"). Bennett is also a great character, but no match for Arnold. You'd have to be completely devoid of personality to not find this at least slightly entertaining.

10/10 stars. Seriously.

Absolute Perfection

Author: Jordan (partymachine221@hotmail.com) from Santa Cruz
4 February 2001

"Commando" is undoubtedly Arnie's best. The movie begins with John Matrix's (schwarzenegger) daughter (alyssa milano) getting kidnapped. Basically Matrix has a little over 10 hours to save his daughter from an evil dictator, and in order to get her back, he has to take on a bunch of hoodlums, corrupt ex-Green Berets, and a small army.

The screenplay, by Steven E. deSouza, is a masterpiece. Granted, it's not brilliant along the lines of Shakespeare, but for an action movie, it's wonderful. Chock full of wit, deSouza never makes the mistake of having the movie take itself to seriously; he maintains an excellent balance of hardcore action while at the same time creating a lovely spoof of the action genre.

The acting is exactly how it should be for a movie of this genre. I'm a little bit tired of everyone saying "Arnie can't act" "he's such a bad actor" and so on. Obviously, actors such as Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hanks are better dramatic actors, but would any of us really want to see Sir Hopkins kicking the c**p out of almost one hundred people in a movie? i think not. Schwarzenegger plays Matrix wonderfully, delivering his lines with the right amount of wit and sarcasm, and delivering his punches fairly realistically.

See "Commando" if you like action movies. It won't fail to satisfy you. If, on the other hand, you are not a fan of action movies, don't expect this one to win you over.

A classic guy flick with non-stop action and hilarious one-liners.

Author: Li-1
20 July 2003

Rating: *** 1/2 out of ****

Every time I'm accused by friends of being too tough or too picky on action movies made for pure entertainment (i.e. the works of Jerry Bruckheimer), I point back and tell them to look no further than Mark L. Lester's Commando as the prime example of a pure macho classic and the standard by which all mindless action cinema should be judged.

In its own simplistic ways, Commando is actually the epitome of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Whenever we think of the Austrian muscle-bound star's films; gun battles, fist fights, deadpan one-liners, a total lack of plot, and a ridiculously high body count come to mind. Commando represents all this, directed with high energy flair and a great sense of fun.

Schwarzenegger stars as John Matrix, a former commando who lives in the mountains with his young daughter (Alyssa Milano). Matrix's former teammates are being knocked off one-by-one at the orders of a Latino dictator (Dan Hedaya) who wants Matrix to assassinate a popular South American leader so that he can be instilled back in power. As incentive, Matrix's daughter is kidnapped by renegade military, led by Bennett (Vernon Wells), who was once part of Matrix's team. As soon as Matrix boards his flight, he kills his escort, leaps off the plane, and begins his eleven-hour search for his daughter. Inexplicably joining his search is a flight attendant (Rae Dawn Chong) who gets mixed up in this whole mess.

Commando is one of those critically berated movies that only concerns itself with giving its target audience a good time. Running at a lightning fast ninety minutes, the film is packed to the gunnels with explosive action sequences and quotable one-liners. In fact, the lines are so fun, I have a hard time choosing my favorites. Here are a few examples: "I eat green berets for breakfast and I'm very hungry,""Remember when I said I'd kill you last? I lied," and "Let off some steam, Bennett!"

The script is mindless and idiotic, but serves its purpose by providing just enough plot and enormously entertaining one-liners to keep the momentum from ebbing. There are also plenty of noticeable continuity errors (ask yourself how a guy standing behind a railing atop a balcony could be hit with shotgun pellets without the railing taking the slightest bit of damage!), but that just adds to the movie's list of unique charms.

But you don't watch Commando for plot or technical brilliance, you watch it to see Arnold acting as a one-man army, mowing down scores of enemy thugs and soldiers. Whether it's through the movie's various shootouts, fistfights, or chases, the movie delivers thrilling action one scene after another. The climactic battle sequence, in which he single-handedly takes on at least a hundred men, will either make or break the film for you. Me, I had a blast watching Arnold inflict his brand of justice upon these nasty villains. Unless you don't like Arnold or over-the-top action films, it's unlikely you'll find Commando boring.

Schwarzenegger's charismatic and hugely likable screen presence is undeniable, and his delivery of those classic one-liners is perfect. Luckily, the movie has an equally strong villain in Vernon Wells, who delights in chewing the scenery and generally acting as insane as possible in any given situation. From his manic facial expressions to his questionable tastes in clothing, Wells makes Bennett one of the few villains that really stand out in an Arnold flick. You know the movie's going to boil down to a one-on-one fight between the two, and it's one of those fight scenes where each one takes his turn beating the crud out of the other without one ever truly having the upper hand until the very end (when, obviously, one of them's got to be dead).

For pure mindless mayhem, Commando is a perfect choice for Saturday night entertainment. I first saw the film on its network broadcast premiere, and distinctly remember that in the scene where Arnold hides in the garden house (which is the film's goriest part), the movie is edited in such a way that it appears only one man approaches the house instead of six!

Bad Plot, senseless killing, Arnold's at his worst: I like it!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
15 August 2001

Arnold, what can you say? He was so awful, yet so incredibly lovable in this terrific action film. Commando is a film I have watched since I was a little girl, it was actually released the year I was born, so I feel old now. :D But this film meant a lot to me because it was mine and my dad's film, of course, he covered my eyes during some certain unnecessary sex scenes, but we always got a kick out of the great screen play. The lines and action in Commando makes it a great and fun film to watch.

It's about a man, Matrix, played by Arnold, his daughter, played by a very young Alyssa Malono, is kidnapped by terrorists, in particular a dictator who Matrix managed to keep from destroying a country. They give Matrix a chance to save his daughter, by killing the leader of the country the dictator was trying to destroy, since Matrix was so trusted by their leader, it'll make it more controversial. But Matrix has other plans and escapes the airplane, he has 17 hours to save his daughter and kidnaps a sassy flight attendant. But she ends up wanting to help Matrix once she finds out that his daughter is kidnapped, together they work to get back to the dictator's house and save his daughter.

The great thing about this film is that Arnold goes though at least 60 extras who are all shooting at him, they miss him and he kills them all. But it's just fun to watch, as unrealistic as it is. My favorite line in Commando is when Matrix is about to throw Sully over a cliff and says "Remember Sully when I said I'd kill you last?" "That's right, Matrix! You did!" "I lied!" LOL! That was such a great scene. Commando is a great action film that anyone could at least get a good kick out of.

Best One-Liners Ever...........and I mean ever

Author: virginlobster from United States
12 November 2003

Commando is the ultimate in cheesy one-liners. Throughout this whole movie Schwarzenegger is at his utmost best. The movie brings action at you thru the whole damn thing. Bennett is the silliest bad guy to ever grace the big screen, not only is he small in stature, but he is the least intimidating bad guy ever. Still he makes up for it, as you might guess, in his one-liners. If you want mindless action and unintentionally laughable humor, watch Commando and I GUARANTEE you will enjoy it. A 5.5 on the votes is ludicrous, 8.8. NO LESS

Remember Sully when I promised to kill you last? That's right Matrix you did. I lied!!

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
21 September 1999

When I was growing up, I had two heroes on the big screen. One was Rambo and the other was Indiana Jones. They were two relentless characters that would never stop, never give up and their tenacity was stuff that kids or teens would swear by. When we were playing adventure games those were the two characters that always got chosen to play first. But the same year that Rambo II came out, a new hero was born. We all knew who Arnold was, he was the Terminator. But when Commando was released, one of my best friends said to me, " Hey Dan, I think this guy could take Rambo." After all Matrix says to Cook, " I eat green berets for breakfast and right now I'm very hungry!" I would maybe have to concur. Matrix was the toughest man alive ( until MacGyver came out ). And Commando is one of the best memories that I have as a young man growing up in the 80's. Besides it being a damn fine, fun movie, it also has two other elements that began to teach me about film. First a young Bill Paxton was in it and secondly I began to notice the name Joel Silver. He is the producer extraordinaire that is the man behind hits like Die Hard, Predator, Weird Science and more recently The Matrix. Now I look for his name in the producers chair and when he is on that poster as producer, I'll run to that movie.

Commando doesn't pretend to be something that it's not. The Rambo character was more into politics and it took itself a little more seriously than Commando did and that's fine. But this film is nothing but entertainment. It starts fast and violent and it ends hard and violent. You think Rambo kills a lot in Rambo, then count the bodies in this one. But it is so much fun because not only does Arnold have fun with it, but the script, as cheesy as it may seem is actually brilliant. Arnold's one liners are now a staple of his film persona and I think you can look at this film as the root of that persona. For example " Any carry on luggage? " the stewardess asks Arnold, " Just him," he replies pointing at the thug that is escorting him onto the plane. After he beats the hell out of Bill Duke he says, " We'll take Cooks car, he won't be needing it." And of course, to Bennett when they are about to fight mano a mano, "Come on Bennett, let's party!" Commando is littered with small moments like that you won't soon forget. It has stayed with me for 15 years and me and my friends rent it every now and again to laugh and cheer. If this a film that you haven't seen yet, then do so. If you haven't seen this film in quite a while, you should treat yourself to it. It is fun fun and more fun. And this is the first film that Arnold reprises his famous line " I'll be back!" So what's not to like about it?

Reminds me why Arnold's latest films suck

Author: Darkfalz
9 March 2002

This is one of Arnold's best movies, next to Predator and Terminator 2. Seeing an invincible one man army kill over 100 baddies while intercepting it with zingy one liners, that's what it's all about! None of this crap about an "every man" who's family have been taken from him blah blah blah. But the mountain of muscle from Austria dealing out justice the only way he knows how - with extreme prejudice and loads of firepower!

On a side note, the character Sully is the other funniest part of this movie. He's just too cool, and the scene between him and Rae Dawn Chong in the car-park is unforgettable. I kept watching it over and over bursting into hysterics when Sully says "You f**ken whore".

Perhaps Arnold is just too old and not physically impressive enough to do these mindless mayhem movies anymore, but if he's giving them a miss just to give his acting "credibility" then what a waste - action movies are supposed to be mindless thrill-per-minute blow everything up fests, and in his day none did them better than Arnie!

There may not be many movies like this, but at least we'll always have these classics. Arnold will always be remembered for his "Remember Sully when I promised to kill you last? I LIED" lines, not for garbage like Collateral Damage.

Noisy, violent, stupid and lots of fun

Author: preppy-3 from United States
7 March 2001

Ridiculous but fun film with Arnold Schwarzenegger as a retired special agent being pulled back into action when his daughter (well played by Alyssa Milano) is kidnapped. To get her back he has to kill someone else.

An 80s action film all the way. It's full of noisy battles, tons of gun play, loads of fistfights and a grand total of EIGHTY-ONE bloody on-screen deaths! The film works so well because it has a good, strong sense of humor and never takes itself seriously. It makes all the blood and gore seem cartoonish. The plot barrels also full speed and it's very short (88 min). Also Rae Dawn Chong (whatever happened to...?) is very good in a supporting role. My only complaint is that the final battle between Arnie and psycho Vernon Wells (badly overacting) is way too violent--even for this film. Otherwise, well worth seeing--lots of fun if you don't mind mindless, violent films (like me). Gotta love any film where Chong learns to use a rocket launcher in a few seconds by reading the directions!

As close to perfect as it gets.

Author: Raz2152112 from Jacksonville, Fl
14 August 2004

Commando is the greatest movie ever made. This movie aspires to be nothing more than a great action movie and succeeds in every way. The director and screenwriter have no delusions about making a think piece or movie that will move you to a religious experience. They simply wanted to make a movie about a man, his hot daughter and love of violence. As in all great action movies we have a man of violence who has left all of that behind him. He simply wants to live in the mountains, watch his daughter grow up, and eat ice cream. Of course, this couldn't happen. It wouldn't be Commando. Anyways, the bad guys force him out of hiding and instead of enlisting help or trying to find a peaceful solution to the problem he kills and makes jokes. John Matrix (Arnold) embarks on a mission of creative killing and funny one-liners. Enough people have already written on how this movie plays to Arnold's strengths and describe his various deeds. I think the scene that really sets this movie apart is the attention to detail. No, not the part where the porsche gets wrecked and fixed before Arnold pushes it over. Next time you watch the film, turn the TV up very loud when Arnold is fighting Cook. When Arnold picks Cook up by his testicles you can hear the crunch and the air escaping Cook's mouth. Only the greatest movie of all time would take the time to properly document that tremendous event. This movie is as close to perfect as it gets. In the 150 times i have watched Commando the only way I think it could be improved is if Matrix kills Rae Dawn Chong at the end. That would go along better with the theme of the movie.

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]