IMDb > Clue (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Clue

Clue More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A hectic murdermysterycomedy with a pace like none other.

Author: Ryan Jones from Seattle, Washington
13 December 2004

This is easily Tim Curry's best role (yes, even better than Frank from RHPS). He is dry and quick to a level that I have never seen topped, and with an all star cast to support him, this is easily my favorite pun filled, fast paced comedy. The beginning of the story begins slow and exponentially increases til the very end. The speed at which the actors are delivering their lines is staggering at some points, and goes to the technical grace of the actors like Christopher Lloyd and Leslie Ann Warren. Also, the late great Madeline Kahn produces a hilarious Ms. White who shall be remembered as her second greatest role (under Young Frankenstein). I cannot say enough about this movie, the script and its wonderful actors.

Fantastic performances salvage a standard whodunnit

Author: jdollak from United States
18 January 2005

I've been annoyed at most of the bad reviews I read of this movie, because none of them understand what it's all about. It's true; the script is not actually that great. What makes it great is how everything is delivered. The cast is fantastic in playing each part as a cliché, even when the lines are far from it. Curry plays the role with so much ham that it's understood why the script is like this. This is a play, not a movie. I can understand not being in the mood for this film. But I can't understand not appreciating these fantastic performances. Another person pointed out that this film needs to be seen in widescreen. This is correct-the movie reaches another level of greatness by seeing it in proper aspect-ratio. And I've never seen Colleen Camp looking this fantastic.

It's All Good Baby...

Author: coatzey from United Kingdom
21 January 2005

How fantastic was this film??? It was made three years after i was born but the first time i saw it, about 7 year old i think... i fell in love. After mentioning to everyone i knew about this film nobody seemed to have heard of it... i get the same reaction now... all i can say is i feel real pity for the people that have never seen this film. One of the best films i have ever seen... not many people can watch films 4 times in one day but if you had the DVD you'd understand... watching all three random endings and then the film with all three!! Fantastic and you find yourself laughing just as much as you did the first time you watched it. All of the actors where brilliant and so incredibly funny, but i have to make a special mention to Tim Curry... OMG no matter what he does he's amazing but Wadsworth can turn the coldest heart, even when he's naughty ;) Tim Curry, we love you hun and you get better with age... It's all good babe!!!

Would anyone care for fruit or dessert?

Author: R_O_U_S from United Kingdom
17 February 2004

Like Clockwise, this is just a movie I've always found very funny. Superbly casting some superlative film talents into the board game roles of Colonel Mustard et al, this throws the greatest over-actor of them all in as the butler and lets rip. The murders start to pile up, getting sillier and sillier (three cheers for the Singing Telegram Girl!) The pace picks up, so that about half an hour before the end the butler starts to exposit and virtually never stops. Oh, and there are three endings, just for good measure. And the last line is an all-time classic.

The popular board game comes alive in this hilarious comedy!

Author: mdm-11 from United States
10 October 2004

Clue" (the movie), features just about every great comedy actor of the day. From Leslie Ann Warren to Michael McKean to Eileen Brennan to Howard Hessman to the priceless Tim Curry, they're all here! -- If you are familiar with the board game, just picture a film version of the search for "whodunit". This laugh-a-minute fun fest is loaded with outrageous, silly slapstick, superbly acted out by the great cast.

You'll be amazed at how many of the lines and gags get stuck in your head. I'll never be able to forget the flustered looks of Mrs. Peacock, the wit and charm of Wadsworth or the subtle facial expressions of Mrs. White. The picture in this WIDE SCREEN VERSION is the best yet of this film since it's initial release.

The soundtrack is kept in it's original mono, still I'd greatly enjoy hearing a stero or, even better, a surround sound version in the future. Now you have the option of really not knowing who did it until the final scenes play bringing surprise into the untold repeat viewings that are sure to occur.

A Game Cast At Play

Author: Dorian Tenore-Bartilucci (dtb) from Whitehall, PA
1 September 1999

CLUE has been one of our family's favorites for years. It's one of those irresistibly zany comedy-mysteries that, even though I have a copy of the film, I'm happy to watch it if I stumble across it on TV (don't touch that dial! :-)). Despite a few groaners among the gags (how many times did they need to sniff for doggie-doo in the beginning?), there are enough witty lines ("Communism was just a red herring!" and "Flames...on the side of my face...", among others, are frequently quoted in our home) delivered sparklingly by the top-notch cast amid enough madcap scampering about to make CLUE very watchable on a lazy afternoon, or even a not-so-lazy one, for that matter. Tim Curry (who deserves to be in more good movies) steals the show, particularly when he reenacts the entire movie in about 15 minutes during the climax, accompanied by John Morris's rollicking music. The film was released with three different endings, each of which has been shown on cable--the one that recalls MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS is my favorite. Give CLUE a shot...in your living room...with the DVD player!

A cult classic

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
22 September 2000

Clue is a laugh riot from start to finish. The cast is great with the obvious star being Tim Curry. The plot is well thought out and is rather original. Clue is the perfect mixture of comedy and mystery. The best treat is that this movie has three completely different and hilarious endings. This is a must see.

Fun 'Whodunit' Mystery!

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
22 July 2004

This is one of those movies that I would watch repeatedly and still holds up as a great source of entertainment for me.

Based on the board game of the same name by Parker Brothers, six guests, Colonel Mustard, Mrs. White, Mr. Green, Mrs. Peacock, Professor Plum and Miss Scarlet are invited to a Victorian mansion for a dinner party. The host later reveals they are all being blackmailed and wanted to get everybody together to confront the perpetrator, the alleged Mr. Boddy, who later is murdered by one of the guests. What follows is an exciting and intriguing series of events of finger-pointing, revealing secrets, and motives - all leading to the thrilling investigation of the entire house for clues and Butler Wadsworth's reenactment of the night's events.

All the characters gave a memorable performance, each in his/her own unique flavor. The plot and story by Jonathan Lynn and John Landis, with solid direction by Lynn, are fast-paced and exciting, as this movie constantly reminds you that there is a murderer on the loose and there are obvious suspects on screen for you to decipher! In addition, I think John Morris' terrific music score enhances the mysterious feel of a murder mystery movie.

The humor is great, with Miss Scarlet's acid wit being my favorite. This is also one of those movies that you will find something new every time you watch it. Some downsides, I believe, were that some of the rooms like the Conservatory, Ball Room and Billiard Rooms weren't used enough and Mr. Green's character was a little too melodramatic. But overall, a fun comedy that never gets old.

Grade A-

Lovely little murder mystery comedy!

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
30 January 2006

Films based on videogames are commonplace nowadays, but one thing I've never seen before is a film based on a board game! Clue is a murder mystery that takes its ideas from the popular game of Cluedo. I cant say I'm a fan of that board game (although I sometimes play it on the quiz machine in pub), but I am a fan of murder mystery - and while this film is more of a joke than anything, it generally plays it's cards right and what we have here is a very entertaining little flick, that really does deserve your time! The film shows it's experimental edge by having three endings (which can be played at random on the DVD), and throughout we are treated to a film that has it's audience in mind. Tim Curry is the big name on the cast list, and he plays butler Wadsworth. He's in charge of a house whose master has invited six guests to his home. Naturally, those guests are given the names of the people in Cluedo, and include the likes of Colonel Mustard, Mrs White and Miss Scarlet etc. We are then treated to a night of mystery, as we try to uncover who murdered the host...and why!

One criticism I could easily make of this film is that it doesn't really have a lot of plot. The mystery is very shallow, and is over very quickly. This is only a shame because of the fact that I would have liked to see this go on for longer, however, as the energy that the cast brings to the table is priceless, and really makes for a good time viewing. Tim Curry takes the lead role, and does what he does best. Curry is famous for campy performances in camp films like this, and his role as Wadsworth really does his reputation proud! The film does a very good job of keeping itself wide open, and by the end it really could have been any of the characters behind the murder. This is good because it allows writer-director Jonathon Lynn complete freedom over who committed the murder; but it harms the film, as the audience doesn't really get enough info to have a stab at it themselves. The style of the film suits the mood very well, with old-fashioned clothes and decor giving it that classic mystery feel. Now don't get me wrong; this isn't exactly a great film, but it's a lot of fun and I can't see why anyone wouldn't enjoy it.

I laughed till my stomach hurt

Author: mattgstreet from A Chair
9 September 2004

A hysterical spoof of the well known board game Cluedo, known as Clue

in America. One of the best comic castings ever. Tim Curry as the Butler- brilliantly wild eyed, OTT and campy. Any fan

of The Rocky Horror Picture Show will simply adore his performance in

this film. And Michael McKean as Mr.Green- After This Is Spinal Tap, he

gives his best performance in Clue. The cast really does not have any

weak spots who are all supported by a very funny script. John Landis at

his mid eighties best. The only downer is the different endings use similar script which does

get a little tiresome, but apart from that a flawless comedy. Now go

and see it!