IMDb > City Limits (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
City Limits

City Limits More at IMDbPro »

You won't want to be in the city limits for long...

Author: Aaron1375 from Alabama
13 August 2016

I saw this film as a part of an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and I hope that the film is a complete and utter incoherent mess is due to the edits done by this show in conjunction with the edits that the video distributor did to it, because if not, this film is more incoherent than any of the Coleman Francis films that were riffed on the show! That is saying a lot by the way as Skydivers and Red Zone Cuba are at times almost random scenes stitched together! This one has James Earl Jones, Rae Dawn Chong and Kim Cattrall and not a whole else to really talk about other than the fact this film also features future producer Dean Devlin in a small role and has a girl with a nice butt at the beginning of the movie. I sat there watching this thing in amazement as people do random things and do this and that and this is supposed to pass as a movie.

The story, what I can make of it, a guy wants to join this gang called the clippers in the city because that is the hip thing to do. Seriously, this film may have been the birth of hipsters. So he just leaves a really hot chick so he can ride motorcycles because it must be the most awesome thing to do. Well he runs afoul of another gang and he may or may not have killed someone, never really clear. There is some people trying to turn the lights on, but that isn't cool man, but driving around on motorcycles that take gas is! A guy sits behind a desk and does absolutely nothing in the film, but he's the man, man and it isn't hip to be the man! Lots of general riding of motorcycles, people use guns, rag tag group reforms and does their things on their bikes and radically different and hip outfits! My guess is people who liked this movie have children that now vape.

This made for an entertaining episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, but like I said, cuts they may have made to this film may be the main reason this film was so messy. I would try and track down an unedited version of the film, but I don't think I could sit through it without the riffs. It isn't a horror film like, The Incredible Melting Man that has some good goo effects that would be worth seeing unedited. About the only thing this one is going to offer is seeing that one girl's butt at the beginning and thanks to the fact Joel was not quite quick enough with that umbrella, I saw enough.

So, this film is pretty bad. It makes Coleman Francis movies seem like they have a point and it may be a film that foretold the coming of hipsters. Other than that, there is not much to it. You like a bunch of people running around and people on motorcycles and a lousy action scene at the end then this may be your cup of tea. However, this thing for the most part is a sorry mess and is not anything I would want to watch without MST3K. I thought Solarbabies was kind of a strange and outlandish movie about an apocalyptic future, but at least that one did a better job making it look like some weird future world. This one, not so much. Also, it is not heroic in the least to crush an unarmed man behind a desk and it is also a very anticlimactic way to take out close out your action scene.

Dull, unfocused jumble of footage pretending to be a movie

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
16 March 2016

"City Limits" is not nearly as badly made as some of the "Bottom 100" movies described here on IMDb. It's got better sets than something like "Robot Monster", better production values than anything Coleman Francis or Bill Rebane ever did, and somehow it attracted some actual acting talent (both known and unknown).

But the movie commits two unpardonable sins: it's boring and it has a plot that is barely comprehensible and makes no sense (if Robby Benson wants to crush the juvenile motorcycle gangs in the city, who is he going to sell things to afterward? All the adults are dead, remember and nobody else seems to be left in the city?)

I feel especially bad for Robby Benson in this film - his scenes are airless and disconnected from anything else in the film and he sucks in them. (Not his fault - given his lines, blocking, and the cinematography, he could hardly do anything else.)

On top of that, the costumes are lame wannabe affairs, the dialog is under-baked and under-rehearsed - whole scenes go by where not a single actor gives a believable read - and the whole comes off like a dystopian ABC after-school special.

I saw the MST version of this (yes, I can make a fair judgment of a movie by the MST cover, because I enjoy their japes but know they often are unfair in their coverage of a movie so they can be "funnier"), and even with their added entertainment, it was slow going.

You can skip this one...or if it happens to come on cable or something while you're watching, you can fall asleep in front of the set to it.

Weak on pretty much every level.

Author: Comeuppance Reviews from United States Minor Outlying Islands
12 January 2012

In the future, two rival gangs are vying for turf: the Clippers and the DA's. Lee (Stockwell) leaves his rural life behind and heads to the big city to be part of the action, and gets embroiled in the gang warfare. Mainly this includes riding around on modified motorbikes and wearing silly outfits. But their masks are pretty cool. Even more trouble forms in the guise of Carver (Benson) who wants to control the city, or possibly the world, and is willing to use the gangs towards his evil ends, even pitting them against each other. Will Lee and his buddies prevail? At the outset of this movie, we're informed that what we're seeing is "fifteen years from now", but the Vestron VHS box tells us the movie takes place in the distant future of 2003. But one character's Masters of the Universe (1987) coat really tells us what decade we're in. But apparently Steven Seagal's personal style had an impact, as a lot of people in the future wear fringed jackets. While City Limits isn't quite in Shredder Orpheus (1990) territory, it is a bit reminiscent of Wired To Kill (1986). These are not favorable comparisons, as this movie seems like it could have been directed by Albert Pyun. When are filmmakers going to learn that annoying characters doing annoying things does not a movie make, and you cannot skip character development. Isn't that movie-making 101? This movie makes no sense, and it's hard to imagine anyone, whilst making it, thinking it was a good idea, much less NOT a total waste of everyone's time, but here you go. It's total shelf-filler tailor made for the expanding video store market in the 80's. It seems only the Italians can make entertaining post-apocalyptic movies. Basketball fans may get a kick out of the fact that one of the roving street gangs in this movie are called the Clippers, but it falls on deaf ears for mostly everyone else, including us. Also Robby Benson does what we call a "sit-down" role, where a character never moves from his seat.

Why did James Earl Jones agree to be in this? Sure, this movie may be boring, pointless and adds nothing new whatsoever to the post-apocalyptic genre, but the filmmakers were shrewd enough to realize Jones has a commanding voice, so they had him narrate this slog. Seeing as how it was the 80's, and JEJ wears this brown fur coat in the movie, and how he's the narrator of course, only one thing comes to mind: Teddy Ruxpin. But this movie is an insult to Mr. Ruxpin as whoever wrote the cassette that was placed in James Earl Jones did a horrible job. Only Jones' professionalism prevails.

It's easy to see why MST3K chose to do this movie. It's just weak on pretty much every level.

For more action insanity, please visit: comeuppancereviews.com

A used tissue could've made a better film

Author: DanRaccoon from United Kingdom
9 June 2007

I only watched this film on MST3K so I could bare watching the whole thing, but watching it on that show didn't take my attention away from the film itself. I could still notice the sadness and the general rubbish of the movie. It looked more like a music video for a 80s rock band than a actual movie.

There's a lot of bad points to this, such as the acting. It was boring, plain and it didn't make me react at all, just made me want to go to sleep more than anything. Also the acting of the mentally handicapped character was pretty unconvincing as well, and slightly offensive. I mean he was portrayed as somewhat of an idiot and someone who doesn't get anything, even the part when he was eating the dog food was completely wrong for the character he was supposed to play. It's not how it works and how the character should've been portrayed. I don't mean to make out that this movie is rubbish just because of this, it's rubbish for many reasons.

The action was like watching paint dry, I just couldn't get into it because it was just so corn. The fighting scenes for one was very slow, it seemed like they were both scared of injuring each other when they were fighting, even though they were wearing god knows what inches thick. It's all staged of course, but you have to make it seem like it isn't, which wasn't very well pulled off here, that along with the other forms of action within this movie such as the bike riding and carnage etc.

The only thing that was least unbearable about this movie was the theme. I mean an apocalyptic world is a good setting for a movie I've found with watching others such as Children of Men or The Matrix, but the difference between those movies and this one, is that they were very well written and everything about them was great and provoked the right reactions out of you when you watched them. But this, the only reason I didn't fall into a trance-like state was the fact I was watching it on MST3K, which is where it is only worth watching.

In short, boring, corny and generally you'd just rather go to sleep than watch it.

Nice cast, Comic Books as bible, and a topless Kim Cattral.

Author: Son_of_Mansfield from Mansfield, Pennsylvania.
14 September 2003

Gee, are we done with the high points already? This is for the people who watched Mad Max and said, "this is nice, but why can't the gangs wear dumb plastic masks, have even less personality, find their savior in John Stockwell, and be weak enough to be ruled by Robby Benson? Add in a script by Don Keith Opper(Critters) and you start to realize why many people consider the eighties to be a horrible decade for cinema. James Earl Jones(Conan the Barbarian, The Star Wars Trilogy), Rae Dawn Chong(The Color Purple, The Principal), John Diehl(A Time to Kill, Stripes) deserve better; not that anyone deserves this movie. This is like Battlefield Earth lite without aliens. That is the kindest thing I can muster. Tony Plana(Three Amigos!) and Jennifer Balgobin(Repo Man) appear in small roles. In my opinion Jennifer could probably destroy John Stockwell in a fight. Less discriminating video heads may be pleased, but I find this movie dull and more than a little pointless. Put this together with Porky's and you have a full frontal shot of Kim Cattral(rejoice or recoil as needed.)

Stay away.

Author: ofpsmith from United States
25 September 2015

The time period is 15 years from now. Yes. 15 years from now Earth will have gangs fighting each other while wearing clothes that even Lady Gaga would think are too eccentric. But they join forces to battle the evil Carver (Robby Benson) who plans to take over the world or some crap like that. Overall the movie was really stupid. I knew it wasn't going to be good, and those low expectations were met. Just a lot of this and that about bikers and gangs. It felt like the script was written by a 10 year old boy. I watched it on MST3K so I did enjoy their mockery of it as I always do. But the movie itself is just stupid. Watch the MST3K.

Another movie shot in the warehouse district...

Author: Dennis Chimelis (dennis_chimelis@juno.com)
8 April 1999

It took a lot of talent to make one really big pile of crap. James Earl Jones looks as if he'd rather be somewhere else and one can only imagine what the heck was going through Robby Benson's mind when he signed on.

It deserved every bit of abuse it received when it was featured on "Mystery Science Theater 3000."

Post disaster future rubbish

Author: zeppo-2 from United Kingdom
18 January 2005

I sometimes think my expectations for a film are often aimed far too low. I only wanted to watch this film because I'd read that Kim Cattrall got her tits out...and then I had to wait over an hour for that.

So..was it worth it? Er...no...The future is going to be far worse than we could ever possibly imagine. The awful scenario of the 'Terminator' series is a picnic compared to this horror! Because 15 years in the future we will all dress like 1980's 'New Romantics' and have BIG hair in the style of 'Duran Duran.'...Kill me....now...

A biker gang fights an evil big business and that's it really. This is the sort of film I would love to hear an DVD audio commentary from the people involved and what they made of it. I can't believe they set out to make such a bloody terrible film, what were they attempting to do? Obvious that some people were just taking the money and running but the writer, director, producer? All a mystery.

Some films are so bad they are fun to watch in a perverse way but this is just dull and boring, although, seeing respected actor, James Earl Jones, taking out the baddies with remote control radio Spitfire planes has it's bizarre, surreal moment to be sure!

Though, I very much doubt that he or any other members of this will be putting it on their CV...

Stay away....rent or watch the Mad Max films instead.

Oh boy.....

Author: PeterAndTheWolves from Netherlands
26 December 2006

Hello , my dearest fellow IMDb's. Well, I saw this "vehicle"but then the MST3K version........and even Crow/Tom and Joel could not change my constant wondering; how the hell is this "thing"made possible??????! Oh my Good Gracious God.....BAD , really bad..I mean REALLY BAD. I saw a lot of filth being grinded trough the minds of Joel/Mike/Trace and Frank f.e., but this ....tomorrow(27 December), I am going to report ill for my work(serious!), let's hope it was the amount of food that sickened me...... Aaron Lipstad? Shame on you!! There are countless young new directors waiting for an opportunity to prove themselves and knowing your "golem" terrorized our eyeballs could make them really feel like a hopeless pile of driftwood!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, oversee, was this movie serious? Was it released on cinema circuit?? I really would like to know this. ATTENTION PEOPLE, HERE IS A SPOILER:"They survive!" Eh....what actually?? hahahaaa. Cheers my friends. I am going to bed, listen to some music and get up at 08.00O'clock so I can call my boss to let him know of my bad condition..........:)

bye bye

And upon his head...

Author: Tim McNeil from Forest Park, Illinois
10 May 2002

John Stockwell appeared to have a promising career ahead of him. He co-starred with Tom Cruise in the horrible "Losin' It," with a car in Stephen King's "Christine," and with a dinosaur in the quite forgetable "My Science Project." For whatever reason, he, James Earl Jones, Rae Dawn Chong, Kim Cattrall, and Robby Benson signed on to make this post-apocalyptic story. But he wears a (very fake) animal skull as a motorcycle helmet, and for that reason alone the first few minutes of the film are worth watching.