IMDb > Brewster's Millions (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Great comedy good story

Author: MacgyverColumbo from United States
2 May 2007

I have watched this film twice in the last year I love this movie. Richard Prior has to spend 30 million dollars in thirty days to inherit 300 million dollars sounds easy, not.I won't tell you why not you'll have to watch it to figure that out. John Candy is great as the side kick best friend.I love the vote for none of the above thats great. It has a good story to as you slowly watch Prior begin to hate money,& the fact he can't tell anybody whats going on, you now why he's spending money like a mad man makes it even better. Great remake & I hate remakes now thats saying something.

Prior & Candy will surely be missed in my mind.

A couple of knee slaps away from a laugh riot.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
20 October 2000

Richard Pryor plays an aging minor league ball player that has always dreamed of pitching in a big league game. Pryor is in line to inherit $300 million dollars, but there is a slight catch. He is challenged to spend 30 million bucks in 30 days and have no monetary gains when he finishes. To pull this off he gets the help of John Candy. These two guys together can have you laughing your butt off.

From nobody to someone. From dirt poor to filthy rich. What a horrible situation for a down on his luck guy to be in; yea, sure. A little dead pan humor teams up with silly situations.

Along for the ride in this comedy are: Jerry Orbach, Hume Cronyn, Rick Moranis, Conrad Janis, Stephen Collins and the bubbly Lonette McKee.

10 million 10 million 10 million dollars! 10 million 10 million 10 million dollars!

Author: Kris Earle from Boston, MA
5 December 1998

If you catch this movie lazing on a Sunday afternoon - it's worth watching -- richard pryor and john candy are good and to hear john candy get all excited over gaining an extra 10 million dollars thru the stock market while pryor is trying to spend 30 million in 30 days makes you want to sing along with candy as he pumps his fists - 10 million 10 million 10 million dollars... now if only a relative would leave me 30 million to spend.. I'd give it a 7/10.

Almost a good film that just becomes frustrating to watch.

Author: Aaron1375
18 March 2010

This movie has a minor league pitcher who is down on his luck. He had made it to the big leagues once, but for all intense purposes his chances of returning are zero. Then one day fortune smiles upon him as a rich relative he knew nothing about has left him an inheritance and a little game. He can get 300 million dollars if he can spend 30 million in 30 days, of course he also had the option just to take one million if he did not want to try his luck spending all the money. Well the pitcher who is played by the late great Richard Pryor takes the challenge and begins a spending spree that on the surface would seem to be very easy. I could easily spend thirty million in 30 days, but there is a catch as at the end of the thirty days he must have only what he had at the beginning of the challenge which means he is basically going to have to rent not buy, throw lavish parties and come up with other ways to spend money without actually owning anything. That makes it a bit harder, it also does not help that he can not tell anyone about this game as it were. Hence it becomes increasingly frustrating as he gets this woman accountant to keep track of everything lecturing him about spending so much. I did not like her character at all, I would tell her mind your own business. John Candy is in this one too and he and Richard make a pretty good tandem, however they kind of leave John Candy's character out of the finale all together instead having the pain in the butt accountant. The film also suffers as this guy is getting so much unexpectedly and it is just depressing to watch someone else have that kind of good fortune knowing something like that would basically never happen to you. It has some funny moments though, but the film is just rather annoying in a lot of places too to be a good movie.

Comedy is hard to do

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
5 August 2002

Comedy is hard to do. This movies has its moments, but over stay away from this one. It drags, and drags in spots. Pryors carrier is ending in this film and Candys is beginning. Too bad they did not give the lead to Candy. 5/10

Ho Hum

Author: shell-26 (barfoot@mailcity.com) from lancaster, uk
21 February 2000

This is one of many "Brewster's Millions". It isn't as good as the 1940's version being too reliant on Richard Pryor in the lead role. I can't wait for the Robin Williams version (not).

In the 40's version Brewster has to spend a million dollars. In 80's it is 30 million which even considering inflation is a different proposition. This film is as much about Greed is Good as another from the 80's. Why any sane individual would prefer 300 million to 30 million is anybody's guess.... as if it makes a difference ! Why we should empathise with such a character is beyond me.

John Candy's presence lends a warmth and humanity which is otherwise lacking. Without him I would have given it less than the 4/10 it received.

Why not put 30 million in the tax free savings account

Author: KevinB12 from Canada
29 March 2010

This movie is a good movie. You know if I had 30 million dollars to spend, I would put a million a day into a tax free savings account until I have 30 million in the tax free savings account. The challenges that Richard Pryor has to take because it is difficult and cannot be done. It is also a big problem for me to take such challenges. Now unless Richard Pryor spends 30 million on a homeless woman for that kind of challenge then that sounds like a terrific idea. Then he could help that homeless woman open up a tax free savings account and put a million a day for her. The homeless woman would now have 30 million dollars so she can afford apartment rent, college and university education. Like Richard Pryor should spend 30 million on Erin Brockovich.

Richard Pryor sell out phase meets the Revenge of the 80's: The remake.

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
18 August 2005

Brewster's Millions (1985) was another sell out role for Richard Pryor and another eighties remake. Still looking for mainstream acceptance and losing his hardcore fan base, Richrad Pryor stars in this remake of a classic tale.

Mr. Pryor stars as a broken down minor league baseball player who learns about a distant relative. This relative is a wealthy man who will give him his entire fortune if he plays a game with him. He has to spend thirty million dollars within a month. If he can do that then he will receive three hundred million. But there's a catch (isn't there always). Can Richard spend millions of dollars without owning anything? Will his true friends stick with him? Who wants him to fail? Find out when you watch Brewster's Millions!

Another time waster from Richard Pryor. Not a classic film. Just an old fashion time killer.

Not bad

Author: grahamsj3 from United States
12 February 2004

Richard Pryor steals the show in this one as a minor league baseball player who must spend $30,000,000 in 30 days. He can't give it away. Whew! That's a lot of money! But if he can spend it, he inherits ten times that much. Pryor is hilarious as he tries to think of ways to spend this money. Half his plans go awry and he's forced to use Plan b, then C, then D on and on. This is a pretty funny film and you'll laugh hard! I did.

"Brewster's Millions" is funny the first or even the second time you see it, but it's never outrageously funny or really worth strongly recommending.

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
28 March 2003

"Brewster's Millions" is funny the first or even the second time you see it, but it's never outrageously funny or really worth recommending. Richard Pryor's performance isn't extremely memorable; the actor to see this film for is John Candy, who steals the show as soon as we see him.

Pryor plays Brewster, a man who is offered a strange proposition by some elderly men. If he can blow 30 million dollars in a month, he inherits 300 million left to him in a will. If he doesn't, he's left with the remainder of what they give him. And he can NOT tell anyone about their deal. So Brewster agrees, and starts wasting the cash. But soon this turns bad as his good pal John Candy innocently tries to make him money, and people begin to suspect something is wrong. Why is Brewster wasting away his money like it's paper with no value?

"Brewster's Millions" has been done seven times before, apparently, but I could only trace down five: a 1914 version, a 1921 version, a 1926 version, a 1935 version, and a 1945 remake with Dennis O'Keefe. That last version ranked in about a half hour shorter than the Richard Pryor film, and this 1985 version probably would have been better off with that length as well.

Pryor doesn't really stand out as Brewster. I can think of others who would have fit the part better. But I guess it's good they chose him over Eddie Murphy.

John Candy is really the one to keep an eye on during the film, and you can't help but keep an eye on him since he draws your attention from the start. His character is sweet, good-natured, but at the same time a businessman trying to make some dough for him and his pal Pryor. Candy really envelops his character, as always, and steals the show. It's nowhere near his best performance, but it's still great.

This is the first comedy outing for director Walter Hill, who went on to film comedies such as "Red Heat" with Schwarzenegger and Belushi. He uses many of the same formulas as he did in "Red Heat," as well. It's never that funny, but worth seeing once or twice.

Herschel Weingrad & Timothy Harris, who both wrote the film "Trading Places" (*see below), use the same humor (see below) in this film as they did in "Trading Places." Funny people in odd situations doing odd things. They use a simple theme and expand it. Unfortunately, it didn't expand here as much as it could--and should--have.

The beginning of the movie is funny, I'll give it that. When Brewster first gets the money and is trying to blow it--those are the funny parts. It's a bit like films where the hero is learning to adapt to his new abilities ("Spider-Man") or the movies where something is very original and funny but starts to get a tiny bit tiresome later on ("Delirious"). The same goes for "Brewster's Millions": it is funny in the beginning, but it starts to get a bit tiresome after a while. There are only so many gags available when you are talking about a man having to waste money in a certain amount of days.

For some reason, the eighties comedies really sparked an interest in films with people in odd places doing odd things. *"Trading Places," "Delirious," just to name a few. They are fanciful, imaginative, and sometimes not that funny. "Brewster's Millions" is the half-way point between funny and average. It is one of those comedies from the eighties retreading familiar terrain. Its humor is that of many comedies from the eighties with famous comedians. I'll be more specific: "Trading Places" with Dan Akyroyd and Eddie Murphy pops to mind--the film I mentioned above. Its humor is a bit like that. If you like "Trading Places," and all those other campy comedies from the eighties where people are put in odd situations, see "Brewster's Millions." The only other reason to see it would be if you are a fan of the actors. I'm a fan of one of them, and I think you can guess who.

2.5/5 stars -