IMDb > Brewster's Millions (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Brewster's Millions and the Film Industry

Author: Scholesy from Lincoln, England
2 May 1999

We are all influenced in some way by the media, and it is often this body who are the main persecutors of films like Brewsters, and yet favour the deceptive roller coaster rides that litter cinemas every summer (Godzilla). It is this reason why Brewsters Millions has not received the recognition it has so deserved. It is longer than a decade since it's release and yet it still calls back to me from my video collection, whereas the pretty hologram is about the main point of focus on my ID4 video.

John Candy's performance provides a stable background to the flick, and although he has been more intensively humorous, his mere presence provides a more than occasional chuckle. Candy plays Brewsters agent / finance consultant, who is caught up in Brewsters attempts to use all of his temporary inheritance, in an aim to achieve the big prize, $300 million. Brewster represents all that society has boiled down to, has beens, who have gasped the clean air of success only to have the wind kicked out of him.

A film which represents the scourge of society beautifully and hides it away in the sea of American comedy flicks.

Money!!!!!!!!!

Author: Jobe Horsley (jobe_h@hotmail.com) from Scottsbluff, Ne USA
13 April 1999

Talk about a good movie. This show was kind of intense especially at the end. I can't believe somebody could spend so much money in a month. It was funny and enjoyable. I think if you had a chance to watch go ahead and watch it.

What About All Those Thirsty Arabs? With Ice?

Author: getyourdander from United States
14 October 2005

Montgomery Brewster has been given the movie treatment more than once as the novel this is based upon dates back to nearly 1900. This is not cerebral stuff but good humor and laughs while ignoring reality. It is am homage to a couple of fine film comedians who are no longer with us.

Richard Pryor & John Candy did not work together enough, and this movie makes up for that loss. This film allows Pryor to do his manic over the top behavior just perfectly. It allows Candy to do his humor well too. The support cast seems to be well fitted with the stars and the show goes smoothly and funny without going too long.

Monte Brewster is a minor league pitcher for the Hackensack Bulls when the movie starts, who wins a game & promptly gets into trouble at a bar fight celebration after the game. He and Candy compliment each other well especially at the court hearing. Then they are amazed to be bailed out by a stranger who has been taking photos of Monty.

From Jersey, the stranger takes them to a law office in New York City where Monte finds out he is rich from his Uncle Rupert Horne. The catch is, does he want to be $1 million dollars richer or $300 million richer? In order to get the $300, he has to waste $30 million dollars and not have anything tangible to show for it in 30 days. From this premise, the insanity of Pryor takes over and fits perfectly.

He arranges for the Bulls to play the Yankees, hires a huge staff including his buddy Candy, & when his staff presents him with an unexpected $10 million dollar profit which puts him back where he started, he gets a desperate idea to spend the extra millions. With 2 shady characters running for mayor, Monty runs using "Vote None of The Above" as his campaign slogan. One reason I like this movie so much is my favorite political throw away line in any movie:

"I'm asking people not to send any money to my campaign. I'm telling you to keep your money, your going to need your money after this election."

I keep hoping those words "needing your money" aren't true after our election of Obama but he seems to be spending money fast than Monty. Maybe when he is done in office, he could star in a remake of this one?

Highly overrated

Author: grapestain-m8
7 September 2013

I think this is just a regular boring movie, however the main idea promises so much fun that it makes this film really bad.

The movie is based on a very catching idea. Such situation captures imagination at the first glance. However that's all. This film fails terribly to make any use of this great situation. Nothing really happens in this film. Our hero tries to spend the money, that's it. No adventures, no catches. There are two twist in the plot. One is when some investment returns actual money making the things worse. Unfortunately that's just a moment, no implication is present at any later point in the movie. (To be honest, nothing really has an implication in the plot. Random events lead to no consequences, that's the guiding idea behind.) The other twist is one of the most cliché you could imagine. Someone hired by those who would like to see Brewster fail to acquire the 300 millions tricks him to still have money before the deadline to spend everything. The clock is dinging and there comes a quick solution. Whoa...

If you try to imagine what would you do for just a minute with such opportunity, you'll certainly have hundreds of better and more exciting ideas than those in this movie. The plot is simply boring.

Regardless of the performance of the actors, the characters are boring too. There is no interaction between the main characters and it is annoying how unrealistic their reaction to the events is. Everyone is in total apathy except for Brewster.

If you can imagine what would you do in Brewster's shoes, keep it at that level, don't ruin it by watching this empty story.

Not to be missed!

Author: JimmyL5555 from United States
20 June 2007

I'm a huge fan of Richard Pryor and for non-concert movies, it works if the material is right for him. For this movie, IT DOES!! Pryor makes a bizarre plot work -- REALLY work -- especially making you BELIEVE he is a man who has a passion for baseball and trying to be a success. And John Candy does a great job portraying Brewster's best friend who has to be kept in the dark as to the real reason behind the outrageousness of his best friend's spending. There are social comments being made throughout the movie, and it shows normal and understandable outgrowths and conditions, consequences and results with each decision Brewster makes on where each dollar goes despite the feverish attempts to secure no assets anywhere. It's a fun movie, a feel-good movie, and a very FUNNY movie. Definitely not to be missed! This version of the story is well-written, well-produced, and well-made. And this movie should be among the very top of this list of Pryor's movies that displays his pure genius, and his ability to successfully range through the emotions, that you feel you're right there with him, and you feel what he feels, and you're rooting for him.

Great comedy good story

Author: MacgyverColumbo from United States
2 May 2007

I have watched this film twice in the last year I love this movie. Richard Prior has to spend 30 million dollars in thirty days to inherit 300 million dollars sounds easy, not.I won't tell you why not you'll have to watch it to figure that out. John Candy is great as the side kick best friend.I love the vote for none of the above thats great. It has a good story to as you slowly watch Prior begin to hate money,& the fact he can't tell anybody whats going on, you now why he's spending money like a mad man makes it even better. Great remake & I hate remakes now thats saying something.

Prior & Candy will surely be missed in my mind.

A couple of knee slaps away from a laugh riot.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
20 October 2000

Richard Pryor plays an aging minor league ball player that has always dreamed of pitching in a big league game. Pryor is in line to inherit $300 million dollars, but there is a slight catch. He is challenged to spend 30 million bucks in 30 days and have no monetary gains when he finishes. To pull this off he gets the help of John Candy. These two guys together can have you laughing your butt off.

From nobody to someone. From dirt poor to filthy rich. What a horrible situation for a down on his luck guy to be in; yea, sure. A little dead pan humor teams up with silly situations.

Along for the ride in this comedy are: Jerry Orbach, Hume Cronyn, Rick Moranis, Conrad Janis, Stephen Collins and the bubbly Lonette McKee.

10 million 10 million 10 million dollars! 10 million 10 million 10 million dollars!

Author: Kris Earle from Boston, MA
5 December 1998

If you catch this movie lazing on a Sunday afternoon - it's worth watching -- richard pryor and john candy are good and to hear john candy get all excited over gaining an extra 10 million dollars thru the stock market while pryor is trying to spend 30 million in 30 days makes you want to sing along with candy as he pumps his fists - 10 million 10 million 10 million dollars... now if only a relative would leave me 30 million to spend.. I'd give it a 7/10.

Almost a good film that just becomes frustrating to watch.

Author: Aaron1375
18 March 2010

This movie has a minor league pitcher who is down on his luck. He had made it to the big leagues once, but for all intense purposes his chances of returning are zero. Then one day fortune smiles upon him as a rich relative he knew nothing about has left him an inheritance and a little game. He can get 300 million dollars if he can spend 30 million in 30 days, of course he also had the option just to take one million if he did not want to try his luck spending all the money. Well the pitcher who is played by the late great Richard Pryor takes the challenge and begins a spending spree that on the surface would seem to be very easy. I could easily spend thirty million in 30 days, but there is a catch as at the end of the thirty days he must have only what he had at the beginning of the challenge which means he is basically going to have to rent not buy, throw lavish parties and come up with other ways to spend money without actually owning anything. That makes it a bit harder, it also does not help that he can not tell anyone about this game as it were. Hence it becomes increasingly frustrating as he gets this woman accountant to keep track of everything lecturing him about spending so much. I did not like her character at all, I would tell her mind your own business. John Candy is in this one too and he and Richard make a pretty good tandem, however they kind of leave John Candy's character out of the finale all together instead having the pain in the butt accountant. The film also suffers as this guy is getting so much unexpectedly and it is just depressing to watch someone else have that kind of good fortune knowing something like that would basically never happen to you. It has some funny moments though, but the film is just rather annoying in a lot of places too to be a good movie.

Comedy is hard to do

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
5 August 2002

Comedy is hard to do. This movies has its moments, but over stay away from this one. It drags, and drags in spots. Pryors carrier is ending in this film and Candys is beginning. Too bad they did not give the lead to Candy. 5/10

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]