IMDb > Brewster's Millions (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Credit Due

Author: Nick Davies from Scalpel Reviews
7 January 2009

PLOT: An amateur league baseball pitcher will inherit 300 million dollars from a distant relative on the proviso that he first spends 30 million dollars in 30 days. Various other conditions are also made painfully clear.

REVIEW: A well-constructed cast including Richard Pryor and John Candy, and decent character actors of yesteryear such as Lonette McKee, Stephen Collins, Jerry Orbach, Pat Hingle and Hume Cronyn, make the most of a great idea that is otherwise ill-served by a mediocre script and perfectly standard direction from the usually quite brilliant Walter Hill. Candy's chemistry with Pryor is first rate – why Pryor instead chose Gene Wilder as his long-term comedic partner will forever remain a baffling mystery.

While Brewster's Millions is not the funniest film of the 80s, certainly there are moments of hilarity here. Watch for a hilarious cameo from Rick Moranis.

ELEPHANT STAMPS: None.

Has some truly hilarious moments

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
31 December 2005

I've never been a fan of Richard Pryor... I don't know, he just seems like a foul-mouthed loud-mouth to me(and not a fun one at that, like Chris Rock is). But in this film, I have to admit, he does very good work. He and Candy(whom I've always rather liked) have great chemistry. The first scenes had me laughing quite a lot. The plot is pretty good, but it's(rather obviously) not original. This is the seventh and apparently(I've heard reports claiming it not to be) latest in the line of films based on the novel of the same name. The plot evolves at a fair pace and remains interesting through most of the film. The acting is very good, there was no performances that were overplayed or less than solid. The characters are well-rounded and credible, with both 'good' and 'bad' guys being equally interesting and human(though it's not exactly rocket science to distinguish them from each other). The writing is fair, but more laughs are derived from Pryor and Candy's performances than dialog and situations(though the film tries quite hard, sometimes too hard; basically throwing everything its got at the viewers at times). The humor is typical 80's, but much of it works, and like I point out in the one line summary, the film has some truly hilarious moments... it's such a pity that they are as few and far between as they are. I barely laughed at all in the latter half of the film. All in all, a pretty funny film. I recommend it to fans of 80's comedies, Richard Pryor and/or John Candy. 6/10

Good team work by Candy and Pryor!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
12 September 2003

Brewster's Millions is a good comedy! I like the baseball subject! Richard Pryor and John Candy were really good in the film! Jerry Orbach, Pat Hingle, Rick Moranis and the rest of the cast were good! I don't want to tell to much about it but if you like comedies then check it out! This is a hard film to obtain and if you see it somewhere get it! You won't be disappointed!

Movie Nuttball's note: If you like John Candy and haven't see his other great and classic movies then I recommend that you see Summer Rental, Armed and Dangerous, Spaceballs, Who's Harry Crumb, Uncle Buck, and in an excellent cameo, Home Alone!

Fun flick

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
18 June 2001

Came out the same weekend as Fletch, and View to a Kill if I remember right, and another one from that summer that is very fun to watch if yer in the right kinda mood. You don't Really buy for a second that either Candy or Pryor are minor leaguers, but the rest is a fun kick if you just let it take ya with it. Some of the stuff isn't as well thought out as it should be-but watching these guys play off each other and the situation at hand is quite fun.

I always like a harmless time-killer, and if you get some good laughs outta it-that is even better. Candy was great and this one added to his rep.

**1/2 outta ****, you can do worse.

Brewster's Millions and the Film Industry

Author: Scholesy from Lincoln, England
2 May 1999

We are all influenced in some way by the media, and it is often this body who are the main persecutors of films like Brewsters, and yet favour the deceptive roller coaster rides that litter cinemas every summer (Godzilla). It is this reason why Brewsters Millions has not received the recognition it has so deserved. It is longer than a decade since it's release and yet it still calls back to me from my video collection, whereas the pretty hologram is about the main point of focus on my ID4 video.

John Candy's performance provides a stable background to the flick, and although he has been more intensively humorous, his mere presence provides a more than occasional chuckle. Candy plays Brewsters agent / finance consultant, who is caught up in Brewsters attempts to use all of his temporary inheritance, in an aim to achieve the big prize, $300 million. Brewster represents all that society has boiled down to, has beens, who have gasped the clean air of success only to have the wind kicked out of him.

A film which represents the scourge of society beautifully and hides it away in the sea of American comedy flicks.

Money!!!!!!!!!

Author: Jobe Horsley (jobe_h@hotmail.com) from Scottsbluff, Ne USA
13 April 1999

Talk about a good movie. This show was kind of intense especially at the end. I can't believe somebody could spend so much money in a month. It was funny and enjoyable. I think if you had a chance to watch go ahead and watch it.

What About All Those Thirsty Arabs? With Ice?

Author: getyourdander from United States
14 October 2005

Montgomery Brewster has been given the movie treatment more than once as the novel this is based upon dates back to nearly 1900. This is not cerebral stuff but good humor and laughs while ignoring reality. It is am homage to a couple of fine film comedians who are no longer with us.

Richard Pryor & John Candy did not work together enough, and this movie makes up for that loss. This film allows Pryor to do his manic over the top behavior just perfectly. It allows Candy to do his humor well too. The support cast seems to be well fitted with the stars and the show goes smoothly and funny without going too long.

Monte Brewster is a minor league pitcher for the Hackensack Bulls when the movie starts, who wins a game & promptly gets into trouble at a bar fight celebration after the game. He and Candy compliment each other well especially at the court hearing. Then they are amazed to be bailed out by a stranger who has been taking photos of Monty.

From Jersey, the stranger takes them to a law office in New York City where Monte finds out he is rich from his Uncle Rupert Horne. The catch is, does he want to be $1 million dollars richer or $300 million richer? In order to get the $300, he has to waste $30 million dollars and not have anything tangible to show for it in 30 days. From this premise, the insanity of Pryor takes over and fits perfectly.

He arranges for the Bulls to play the Yankees, hires a huge staff including his buddy Candy, & when his staff presents him with an unexpected $10 million dollar profit which puts him back where he started, he gets a desperate idea to spend the extra millions. With 2 shady characters running for mayor, Monty runs using "Vote None of The Above" as his campaign slogan. One reason I like this movie so much is my favorite political throw away line in any movie:

"I'm asking people not to send any money to my campaign. I'm telling you to keep your money, your going to need your money after this election."

I keep hoping those words "needing your money" aren't true after our election of Obama but he seems to be spending money fast than Monty. Maybe when he is done in office, he could star in a remake of this one?

None of the above....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
29 June 2014

Brewster has an unknown distant, but wealthy relative who has just passed on.

In order to test if Brewster knows the value of money, he is given the task of disposing of $30m in 30 days.

Brewster isn't allowed to have any assets to show for the $30m or waste the money in any way. If successful, Brewster gets to inherit $300m. The biggest problem of all however, is that Brewster can't tell anyone what he's doing, so everyone thinks he's crazy.

But I'd Brewster fails, two scheming trustees will get their hands on the money, so Brewster's task is not an easy one......

It's the old story isn't it, little man overcoming the bigwigs. Everyone likes a long-shot, the poor man outsmarts the rich, its Robin Hood for the fat cats, and we have the profanity free Richard Pryor in the drivers seat.

It's the most predictable type if comedy you can imagine. He's starts doing well, he silly but good spirited friend messes it up a bit, he gets back on track, the villains of the film mess it up big time for him, and just at the last minute, something wonderful happens.

It's been done literally hundreds of times in these sort of family comedies, and in can understand that its a winning formula, but oh to see something different just for once, to see the hero of the piece fail, it would be so refreshing, but seeing that this is almost thirty years old, you can forgive its laziness.

Pryor is as good as he always is, and Candy offers wonderful support, but one cannot help but think that if Trading Places wasn't such a hit two years 'Pryor' (he he), would this have been made?

Worth watching...

Not to be missed!

Author: JimmyL5555 from United States
20 June 2007

I'm a huge fan of Richard Pryor and for non-concert movies, it works if the material is right for him. For this movie, IT DOES!! Pryor makes a bizarre plot work -- REALLY work -- especially making you BELIEVE he is a man who has a passion for baseball and trying to be a success. And John Candy does a great job portraying Brewster's best friend who has to be kept in the dark as to the real reason behind the outrageousness of his best friend's spending. There are social comments being made throughout the movie, and it shows normal and understandable outgrowths and conditions, consequences and results with each decision Brewster makes on where each dollar goes despite the feverish attempts to secure no assets anywhere. It's a fun movie, a feel-good movie, and a very FUNNY movie. Definitely not to be missed! This version of the story is well-written, well-produced, and well-made. And this movie should be among the very top of this list of Pryor's movies that displays his pure genius, and his ability to successfully range through the emotions, that you feel you're right there with him, and you feel what he feels, and you're rooting for him.

Great comedy good story

Author: MacgyverColumbo from United States
2 May 2007

I have watched this film twice in the last year I love this movie. Richard Prior has to spend 30 million dollars in thirty days to inherit 300 million dollars sounds easy, not.I won't tell you why not you'll have to watch it to figure that out. John Candy is great as the side kick best friend.I love the vote for none of the above thats great. It has a good story to as you slowly watch Prior begin to hate money,& the fact he can't tell anybody whats going on, you now why he's spending money like a mad man makes it even better. Great remake & I hate remakes now thats saying something.

Prior & Candy will surely be missed in my mind.

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]