IMDb > Brewster's Millions (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Brewster's Millions

Brewster's Millions More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A ne'er do well must spend millions to inherit billions

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
28 October 2011

Montgomery Brewster (Richard Pryor) is a replacement pitcher for a New Jersey baseball team. He and his friend Spike Nolan (John Candy) have dreams of joining the big league, but the problem is that nobody is interested in them. Everything hits rock bottom when they are locked up in gaol for brawling and are not bailed out by their coach. But a strange guy pops up, bails them out and takes them to New York City where Monty is brought into an office alone where three lawyers sit. Here he learns that he has inherited a lot of money, but there is a catch. His great uncle doesn't want him to be taken for a ride, but rather he wants him to use the money wisely, so he says that he has thirty days to spend thirty million dollars. If he makes it then he gets three hundred million, but if he fails he gets nothing. At the end of the thirty days he is allowed no assets, he can only give 5% away to charity and can only loose 5% gambling. When hiring people he can only get his money's worth. Nor can he tell anybody about it. As such he has to get rid of all of the money while everybody else is trying to get him to save it.

This movie is based on earlier movies and the critics did not like this one that much. I have not seen the earlier movies (though would like to) but I enjoyed this movie. Richard Pryor and John Candy are both good, clean actors and comedians and the jokes are seriously funny in this one. It is quite amusing watching his friends wonder why Monty gets upset when he earns money and is joyous when he looses money.

The whole purpose of this is to force Monty to get so sick of spending money that he won't blow away the money that his great uncle has earned. The lawyers want the money because if Monty fails then they get the 300 million. They don't think Monty can do it though, but when it seems like he is succeeding, they get scared and try to defraud him out of $20,000 so that they still get the money. Thus it becomes a competition with very high stakes. Monty looses nothing if he fails, but if the lawyers fail then they can be up for fraud.

The interesting thing about it also is how people all come to bludge off Monty for the money. People swarm around him wanting jobs and simply money, and others try to swindle him, but Monty doesn't care. The fortunate thing is that when he wins, everybody is going to think that he is broke and they are not going to bother him anymore, while Brewster sits on millions of dollars. His friend Spike and the security guard show their friendship by collecting money for him after, so we can see beyond the movie that Brewster will remember them for their generosity.

The cleverest thing Brewster did was run for mayor and then withdrawal at the last minute. This was a very fortunate occurrence that there was a mayoral election on at that time, because it would have been very difficult to get rid of it otherwise. The clever thing though was buying a very expensive stamp and then mailing it. It was this action that worried the lawyers and made them act against him.

The critics did not like this movie but I do. This is a clever movie and Pryor and Candy are decent actors. Candy plays a good friend who is always there for Brewster and we know that this friendship will last even though Brewster has become a millionaire.

Favourite Quote: Spike to Monty when they are in gaol: I don't think this is a race thing because I'm in here too (its funny to me since having seen Hanging with the Homeboys a few days earlier).

Cautionary Tale

Author: lukehuman from United Kingdom
8 October 2011

Prior is at his manic best in this simple comedy. His journey from zero to financial hero shows viewers that Herschel Weingrod's original material requires a honed performance to ensure that the narrative is not lost behind the highest of concepts. Prior allows his comic timing to be teased by director Hill while displaying far more emotion than had been allowed in Siver Streak or Superman III. With a supporting cast of America's finest comedians of the time one can not help but be drawn in to the duplicitous life of Montgomery Brewster's one shot at greatness. A must for any fan of the sort of farces responsible for shaping the cinema of the Cohens and Farrellys.

Wonderfully entertaining

Author: welshNick from United Kingdom
17 July 2011

One of the many adaptations of the famous novel and perhaps the best. Monty Brewster, played superbly by Richard Pryor, gets into a fight after pitching in a little league baseball game. When in court a man bails him out and takes him to a firm of accountants where he finds out a very rich relative has died. However, in order to inherit 300 million dollars he has to spend 30 million dollars in 30 days and have nothing to show for it. This is of course far more difficult than it looks. The fun really starts as he tries to spend it and finds it to be a lot harder than it sounds. The partners at the Accounting firm want him to fail so they can get their hands on the money and set a trap for him. I won't ruin the end but I always watch this when it is on and always laugh. Excellent entertainment.

A bright and breezy comedy that has its heart in the right place

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
3 April 2011

While Brewster's Millions is not a perfect movie by all means, but it is a bright and breezy film that does have its heart in the right place. Also, as far as comedies go it is not one of the most defining films of the genre, but to be a good movie Brewster's Millions didn't need to be that.

As I have said already, Brewster's Millions is not a perfect film. The plot is on the predictable and simple side and I can understand why one might find it bizarre too with its concept and all though I did find it refreshing in a sense on the other side of the argument. The ending feels rather abrupt and could have been rounded off better, and also while others may be divided on whether to perceive this as a flaw, Brewster's Millions does have a theme that is firmly rooted in the 80s which may date it slightly.

However, it is nicely filmed, with striking locations and nice cinematography and editing, while the soundtrack is nicely 80s without dating the film. The film does work in its humour, the script is funny without the need to be too sophisticated and smart, while the odd situation also made me chuckle. The direction is good enough, the film is paced well and it is a good length. And although the story is quite simple, there is enough material to engage throughout, and a lot of it is to do with the fun chemistry between Richard Pryor and John Candy. Pryor I can find loud and unfunny at times, and other times where he is a lot of fun, his performance here is the latter and it does help that his character and most of the characters here are likable, while Candy really does shine. There is also a hilarious cameo from Rick Moranis and Jerry Orbach is always good value.

All in all, Brewster's Millions is a fun film with heart even if there are parts/aspects that could have done with more work. 7/10 Bethany Cox

A modern morality play for today

Author: damotomo from Australia
17 July 2009

What I love about this film is that it teaches us to avoid greed and excess while giving us a good laugh at the same time. Made in the context of Gordon Gecko's 'Greed is good' philosophy of the 1980's, its lessons are just as relevant today as we face the economic disaster caused by the selfishness and greed of many of our financial institutions. Brewster finds that friendship, loyalty, honesty and generosity of the heart are far more valuable than the promise of material riches. John Candy's flawed yet redeeming character reminds us that we are all vulnerable to temptation but we don't have to succumb to it. I see Richard Pryor's Brewster join Orson Wells' Charles Foster Kane in his search for Rosebud. Unlike Kane, Brewster's search is more successful. Like all good comedy this film not only entertains us with laughter but also offers us insight into the human condition.

Brewster's Millions

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
18 November 2008

This was apparently the seventh time the same story had been filmed, and I would guess this is probably the best effort of all of them, from director Walter Hill (48 Hours, Red Heat). Basically Montgomery 'Monty' Brewster (Richard Pryor) is a minor league baseball player, and after a fight ending up appearing before a court, and being cut from his team, a man who has been following him pays his bail. Monty assumes he is a baseball scout, but he takes him to an office to hear that his uncle Rupert Horn (Cocoon's Hume Cronyn) has died, and through his videotaped "living will", Monty discovers he can inherit $300m! He has two choices: Spend $30m within 30 days, telling no-one why you are, and if successful get the fortune, and if not, go broke; or, take $1m on the day; and bravely, Brewster decides to go for the $300m. So, now Brewster is doing every crazy thing he can think of to blow his $30m, with the help of his baseball friend Spike Nolan (John Candy) and personal accountant Angela Drake (Lonette McKee). He uses his money to hire hundreds of staff for high salary, buys a priceless stamp, the highest price hotel room, pays for his baseball to play against a major team, and when he sees his efforts aren't going as well as he thought, he pays for himself to run for the election for Mayor. So, day 30 arrives, and to his knowledge, Monty is completely broke, apart from a $30,000 deposit that a man he trusted held back, but thankfully, before the clock strikes 12, Monty manages to get rid of it, and Edward Roundfield (Pat Hingle) is proud to say he gets the $300m inheritance, and that's where it ends. Also starring Stephen Collins as Warren Cox, Dirty Dancing's Jerry Orbach as Charley Pegler, Tovah Feldshuh as Marilyn, Rick Moranis as Morty King and Reni Santoni as Vin Rapelito. You could see this as a satire on the power of money, both from the positive and negative sides, or you could just see it as Pryor going crazy spending and spending. A funny film that really makes you wonder what would you do in the situation, what would you spend $/£30m on, how fast would you spend it, and would you really want that amount? Worth watching!

Credit Due

Author: Nick Davies from Scalpel Reviews
7 January 2009

PLOT: An amateur league baseball pitcher will inherit 300 million dollars from a distant relative on the proviso that he first spends 30 million dollars in 30 days. Various other conditions are also made painfully clear.

REVIEW: A well-constructed cast including Richard Pryor and John Candy, and decent character actors of yesteryear such as Lonette McKee, Stephen Collins, Jerry Orbach, Pat Hingle and Hume Cronyn, make the most of a great idea that is otherwise ill-served by a mediocre script and perfectly standard direction from the usually quite brilliant Walter Hill. Candy's chemistry with Pryor is first rate – why Pryor instead chose Gene Wilder as his long-term comedic partner will forever remain a baffling mystery.

While Brewster's Millions is not the funniest film of the 80s, certainly there are moments of hilarity here. Watch for a hilarious cameo from Rick Moranis.

ELEPHANT STAMPS: None.

Has some truly hilarious moments

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
31 December 2005

I've never been a fan of Richard Pryor... I don't know, he just seems like a foul-mouthed loud-mouth to me(and not a fun one at that, like Chris Rock is). But in this film, I have to admit, he does very good work. He and Candy(whom I've always rather liked) have great chemistry. The first scenes had me laughing quite a lot. The plot is pretty good, but it's(rather obviously) not original. This is the seventh and apparently(I've heard reports claiming it not to be) latest in the line of films based on the novel of the same name. The plot evolves at a fair pace and remains interesting through most of the film. The acting is very good, there was no performances that were overplayed or less than solid. The characters are well-rounded and credible, with both 'good' and 'bad' guys being equally interesting and human(though it's not exactly rocket science to distinguish them from each other). The writing is fair, but more laughs are derived from Pryor and Candy's performances than dialog and situations(though the film tries quite hard, sometimes too hard; basically throwing everything its got at the viewers at times). The humor is typical 80's, but much of it works, and like I point out in the one line summary, the film has some truly hilarious moments... it's such a pity that they are as few and far between as they are. I barely laughed at all in the latter half of the film. All in all, a pretty funny film. I recommend it to fans of 80's comedies, Richard Pryor and/or John Candy. 6/10

Good team work by Candy and Pryor!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
12 September 2003

Brewster's Millions is a good comedy! I like the baseball subject! Richard Pryor and John Candy were really good in the film! Jerry Orbach, Pat Hingle, Rick Moranis and the rest of the cast were good! I don't want to tell to much about it but if you like comedies then check it out! This is a hard film to obtain and if you see it somewhere get it! You won't be disappointed!

Movie Nuttball's note: If you like John Candy and haven't see his other great and classic movies then I recommend that you see Summer Rental, Armed and Dangerous, Spaceballs, Who's Harry Crumb, Uncle Buck, and in an excellent cameo, Home Alone!

Fun flick

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
18 June 2001

Came out the same weekend as Fletch, and View to a Kill if I remember right, and another one from that summer that is very fun to watch if yer in the right kinda mood. You don't Really buy for a second that either Candy or Pryor are minor leaguers, but the rest is a fun kick if you just let it take ya with it. Some of the stuff isn't as well thought out as it should be-but watching these guys play off each other and the situation at hand is quite fun.

I always like a harmless time-killer, and if you get some good laughs outta it-that is even better. Candy was great and this one added to his rep.

**1/2 outta ****, you can do worse.

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]