IMDb > Back to the Future (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Back to the Future

Back to the Future More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 81: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

"When this baby hit's 88 miles an hour, you're gonna see some serious ****")

Author: ofpsmith from United States
4 October 2014

This movie is filled with ideas, jokes, and great characters. And it works on every level. Marty McFly (Michael J Fox) is a teenager living in the year 1985. He has a less than perfect life, as his parents George McFly (Crispin Glover) a nerd, and Lorraine McFly (Lea Thompson) a drunk don't connect. His two friends that we see are his girlfriend Jennifer Parker (Claudia Wells) and Dr. Emmett Brown (Cristopher Lloyd) a crazy scientist. When one day when Doc. Brown invents a DeLoeran time machine Marty inadvertently goes back to the year 1955 where he sees George and Lorraine as high school students. He also sees George's future supervisor Biff Tannen (Thomas F Wilson) and the current school bully. Marty has to meet up with 1955 Doc. Brown so that he can fix the DeLorean, hook it up to a lighting bolt to get the required electricity to go back to 1985 and prevent Doc. Brown from being killed by Libyan terrorists. As if that weren't enough things get worse when Lorraine becomes infatuated with Marty instead of George. Therefore this could prevent his own existence. So he has to get his parents to go to the dance together, fall in love, so he will even be a person. This movie like Ghostbusters will confuse the mess out of you if you think about too long. Just try to enjoy it. And this is entirely possible. This film is filled to the brim with funny lines, catchphrases, great acting, great characters, great jokes, and everything about it is great. Go check it out. Good stuff.

The PERFECT film

Author: rob towner from Australia
13 August 2014

I have been re-watching this film for the past few decades and it never ceases to disappoint, proving to be a timeless classic. Is one of the few films that have tackled the impossibly complicated theme of time travel in an easy to understand manner.

The BACK TO THE FUTURE trilogy is also one of the few special set of three films that tie in perfectly together. They were not tacked on as a result of the first film achieving box-office success. Rather, they exist as perfectly complimentary films, vital for the complete story arc of each character to unfold.

Great Scott! Back to the Future is a great time-travel movie!

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
21 July 2014

Synchronize your watches! If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious s***. Directed & written by Robert Zemeckis, this movie will forever remind me of what good-feel movie is supposed to be. The movie is about a teenager from 1985, Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) whom is sent back in time to 1955. While, he was there, he meets his future parents in high school and accidentally becomes his mother, Lorraine (Lea Thompson)'s romantic interest, causing a time-rip. Marty must repair the damage to history by trying to get his parents to fall in love, and with the help of scientist Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown (Christopher Lloyd), while, also finding a way to return to 1985. I love the fish out of water history time-travel comedy, with the high-stakes action scenes. It was very entertaining. I love how the film has its running gags, and inside jokes of historical pop culture events; of Robert Zemeckis's work, and what was happening in the 1980s at the time. The movie has everything for every audience member, at the time. While, most movies were risqué and adult-aimed at the time; this movie balance it, enough to make it watchable for both family and single house-hold settlings. Parents went to go see it for nostalgia reasons. While the movie is mostly set in 1950's, it's truly a mark of the 1980's. I have to give the movie props with its controversial movie dilemma, with the Oedipal relationship with his mother. In any other movie, this might be tasteless, and turn people off, but Back to the Future made it work. I can also buy that, teenager Marty McFly would be friends with an older mad scientist, Doc Brown without it being creepy. Both have this father/son relationship that I love from this film. Mad praise to Christopher Lloyd for creating this character for his own. I can't see, anybody besides him. The production was indeed challenging. There were some changes that help the film, a lot. First off, is the title of the film, the film was almost call, 'Spaceman from Pluto'. Gladly, somebody came to their senses, and went back into the title, 'Back to the Future'. Another is that, while, Michael J. Fox was the first choice to play Marty McFly, but he was committed to the show Family Ties. So they hired Eric Stoltz. I wouldn't say, Eric Stoltz would be awful in the movie, but indeed, Michael J Fox was the best choice for the film and they wait on production, until Fox's schedule opened up. The supporting cast is well-acted. Crispin Glover that played George McFly got all George's nerdy mannerisms, right. Lea Thompson is just amazing, and beautiful actress to play Lorraine McFly. Thomas F. Wilson as the bully, Biff Tannen was just hilarious. Every scene with him, made the film, so much better. You'll love to hate him. The set use for the film is one of the most famous movie backlot, previously being used in such works as 1962's To Kill a Mocking Bird, 1960's Inherit the Wind, and others works. The movie had a pretty good pace. There weren't a lot of slow or boring moments. Maybe, the beginning, it does take them, forever to get the time travel part of the film. Eight minutes were cut, including Marty watching his mom cheat during an exam, George getting stuck in a telephone booth and Marty pretending to be Darth Vader. Thank God, they cut the 'Nuking the Fridge' idea. An early draft of the Back to the Future script saw Marty travelling through time in a fridge and being caught in a nuclear bomb detonation. Spielberg would later use this in 2008's Indiana Jones & Kingdom Skull. Zemeckis almost cut out the "Johnny B. Goode" sequence as he felt it did not advance the story, but the preview audience loved it, so it was kept. The visual/special effects are just ground-breaking for the time, and it's just beautiful to watch. The opening scene, flawlessly sets up the film's central themes of time and space, provides heaps of exposition. The music by Alan Silvestri is emotional, epic and intense music. It's give the feel of two friends alone, fighting alone against two of the greatest forces ever know to humanity; time and fate. About Huey Lewis and the News, "The Power of Love". It's a product of its time. It doesn't hurt or help the film. It's just there. I do love the 'Earth Angel' song. It's romantic as hell. There are some nitpicks that I could focus on, like the time-travel plot-holes, but trying to understand the logic of all the time travel paradoxes, would take you out of the movie, and give you a headache. It's not worth it. Still, how his parents never find out that Marty McFly look like the kid, Calvin Klein from their childhood? Other faults of the movie are, the Pepsi product placement and its over used clichés. The movie also one of those films that would audience would see anything in it, as people see symbolism from 9/11 tragedy, JFK assassination conspiracy, Aliens, and others. Others see the film, themes taken from ancient and spiritual myths such as Kronos vs Zeus, the Bible, and others. One thing, it did influence is the skateboarding culture. The movie occurred during the 1980s infancy of the skateboarding sub-culture. The film was such a success, that it create two sequels, 1989's 'Back to the Future Parts II' and 1990's 'Back to the Future Park III'. It also create an animated series, theme park ride, several video games and a forthcoming musical. As with all great movies, Back to the Future, has stood the test of time. It never gets old. Overall: Power up the DeLorean, turn the time circuits on and get the flux capacitor! Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Great Classic

Author: TheDoctorAnd from United Kingdom
13 February 2013

In 1985, Doc Brown invents a time machine out of a DeLorean. However, when he is shot down during a test run of the machine, his friend Marty McFly hops in, and finds himself in 1955. He ends up "Saving" his father from a car crash (the action which led his father and mother to fall in love with each other), meaning his and his sibling's existences are now at stake, so he must find a way to get his parents together before he disappears completely.

This film is a comedic Science Fiction film with a great script and story. Great performances by the entire cast, with Huey Lewis and the News' songs "The Power of Love" and "Back in Time" also deserving praise.

I recommend you watch this film, as well as it's sequels. These films are frequently shown on ITV 2.

they Don't come any better than this

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
28 December 2012

Back to the future is one movie that contains excellent visual effects, a nice story plot and the directing is just excellent. The movie has a beautiful screenplay, and the movie puts the full stop in the statement, "never a dull moment."

Michael J Fox was the desired man cast to play the lead role Marty McFly, but he turned it down due to scheduling conflicts, so Eric Soltz was cast in his place. After filming had begun, Zemeckis and Spielberg felt Soltz was not portraying the character well enough and knew this was a casting error, so they had to re-cast and ask Fox to try and make time to be in the movie. So Fox had to re-arrange his schedule time to be able to shoot Family Ties (TV Series) and the movie at the same time, this recasting meant, an extra 3 million production cost, as all the scenes that Eric had done had to be redone and Fox was so busy, that it was said that he only got 5 hours of sleep a day at the time.

Marty McFly (Michael J Fox) is a teenager from the Eighties who befriends a slightly coco scientist Doctor Brown (Christopher Lloyd). During one of their meetings Doctor Brown mistakenly (due to an accident) sends Marty 30 years into the past, 1955 to be exact.

Marty while in the past, mistakenly interrupts his parents meeting and he must find a way to fix it or else he will no longer exist. He also has to help the Doctor Brown of 1955 get him (Marty) Back to the future.

Back to the Future was a financial success the movie's 100 days production cost was 19 million dollars (including the recasting cost) and it made over 380 million dollars in the box office. It was also a critical acclaim winning an Oscar for Best Sounding Editing.

The balance in this movie is what makes it a most watch the movie's transgression from comic to science fiction to romance/drama, is what makes it such a most watch, it takes its time to explain even the complexity of time travel, that at the end even with the slightest of details that made no sense I actually was convinced and doubted not that Doctor Brown did it.

Back to the Future is a movie hit for all to see and enjoy, it was that good that two sequels were added to it, Back to the Future II and Back to the Future III although the release dates for the sequels were 1989 and 1990 respectively all maintained the time of 1985 when the first time travel happened. So in the end of Back to the Future III, we were back in 1985.

www.lagsreviews.com

Timeless Classic

Author: Lahhlay M from Canada
17 December 2009

Back To The Future is perhaps my favorite movie of all time. When i first saw Back To The Future i was 8 years old. Since then I've been fascinated with the possibilities in time travel (worm hole anyone), Delorean's, Pine Trees, and of cause the 50s culture.

What i love about Back To The Future is the whole vibe. Its first Sci Fi/Family/ then Comedy/Action/. It has everything.

The story is a gem. Marty (Michael J Fox) is stuck in the year 1955 after escaping from a group of terrorists who were out for revenge after their plutonium had been stolen by Doctor Emmett Brown for his new invention, a time machine. Marty in 1955, is without plutonium and has to figure out how to get back. Fortunately for him, he "knows" his history and devises a plan with the doc from 1955 to get back to 1985. Oh, did i mention his parents. That is another story in itself.

It doesn't get anymore original than that. The writers Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale did an incredible job. This is one of few films i can never get tired of watching. If you haven't seen it, then something is seriously wrong with you. Punch yourself in the face for not doing so.

10/10.

An Old Favourite

Author: screenman from United Kingdom
23 September 2008

I love this movie. Although aimed primarily at a younger audience on account of its high-school-aged hero, there's really something for everyone.

It's got adventure. It's got excitement. It's got danger. It's got great comedy. And it's got so much more.

Released in 1985, its special-effects are minimal, and thankfully predate the now-obligatory CGI, requiring some practical imagination to make the thing seem plausible. Basically; everything's in the DeLorean sports car. After that, what is needed is an authentic representation of the 1950's. I'm no expert, but the period seems believable to me.

Camera-work, lighting, and sound-effects are top-drawer. There are some wonderfully realised ambiences. Music - both incidental and theme are well chosen. Huey Lewis And The News supply the anthem 'Power Of Love' in fine, thumping riff, whilst additional pieces give a tremendous sense of urgency. It really is spot-on.

This movie brought the unfortunate Micheal J Fox into deserved prominence. His acting skills and comic timing are excellent, here. It's so sad that incurable illness has blighted such a promising career. He and Christopher Lloyd make excellent foils. They are naturals as a comic duo.

Young McFly goes back in time to find his young father as a bullied wimp, a failed writer, and a peeping-tom. He also accidentally upstages his father in his mother's eyes and risks a dose of temporal incest. Somehow he has to put things right before going back to the future. He does - but some details get overlooked, with funny and happy consequences. Relationships are handled with a light and deft touch. It never plods. It never becomes maudlin or lachrymose or excessively sentimental.

There are several plot-holes in the story. And if you get hung-up on the stuff about time-travel and paradox crap, you're missing the point. You're not supposed to take it seriously. It's a fun movie! And it delivers in spades.

Some have described this as the best time-travel movie and I'm inclined to agree. If you can't find something to laugh at then you're a lost cause.

Being so successful, two sequels followed. But the surprise was gone and the humour grew progressively stale. they paled by comparison.

Check-out the original. It's a collectors item and a truly great feel-good experience. I ought to give it 10 stars.

"Yes. Yes. Im George Mcfly. Im your density....I mean, your destiny "

Author: mark-cornick1 from United Kingdom
24 March 2015

Back To The Future and Parts Two and Three – Review

Release Dates: Part One:1985 Part Two: 1989 Part Three: 1990

Directed by Robert Zemeckis, Written by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale, Starring Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd

Memorable Scene: Marty's rendition of "Johnny B Goode" at the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance

Memorable Quotes: "Manure, I hate manure", "Roads, where we're going, we don't need roads"

Back To The Future was the first film that I did any written work for – way back in a year 9 English class, the task being to analyse the opening scene of the film, still one of the greatest opening sequences in movie history in my opinion, (the fantastic introduction of Doc Browns chaotic science lab through long panning shots and close ups), so I thought it fitting that it would be my first Movie review. ( I have since gone on to complete a BA Honours in Film Studies, and am just reigniting my passion for cinema).

30 years later, and now that we have reached the milestone 2015 (the year Marty travels to the future in part two) this is still one of the most entertaining and well written movies of recent history. Everything fits perfectly into place from the script, camera-work and score, with memorable characters who each produce consistently great performances throughout the trilogy.

Back to that opening sequence, a true example of fine film-making, this sequence inundates us with information and references, all vital to the plot, but at first glance, these visuals and sounds seem to be a random mix. The panning scene of the numerous clocks being an obvious reference to the major theme of "time", the newspaper clippings documenting the history of the Brown family, and the TV in the background, first advertising the Toyota pickup truck, the vehicle Marty pines for, and which becomes his eventual reward for fixing and rehabilitating his family through his actions in the film, to the news report of missing plutonium.

You just have to look at how props, imagery and fashion from the movies have entered our own popular culture to see the impact this film has made on our generation. This ranges from the iconic Delorean Time Machine, the Nike Air Mag "power laces" trainers which Nike are due to release commercially, to the time old question we have all asked ourselves "when are they finally going to invent hover boards?!" Surely it can't be that hard!

Apart from the afore mentioned , I believe one of the main reasons for the films continued success and impact, is the main concept of the film, that of time travel itself. Our desire to travel through time, the endless options of dates and locations, which I'm sure have sparked many debates amongst friends and family, along with, of course, the plausibility of time travel, and the mind bending science behind it - "Time circuits on, flux capacitor....fluxing".

If I was to make once criticism of the film, it would be this. It is never really explained why a High School kid, Marty, spends so much time with an ageing "mad scientist", how they came to meet, and how they formed such a friendship. It could be understood if Marty was a shy, retiring "nerd", but his apparent popularity with women (note him waving to an entire aerobic class of women at the end of the first scene) make this friendship even stranger. But the on screen chemistry and comedic interaction between the characters is so great and genuine, that we accept this bizarre friendship for what it is, without asking further questions.

In conclusion, how ever many times you watch this trilogy of films, you will never cease to be entertained, will probably notice something you didn't in a previous viewing, and will always want to ride a skateboard holding onto the back of a cop car.

The best movie that exists

Author: io_ale_pop98 from Romania
7 March 2015

I literally made an account just to give a review to this movie and express my appreciation. I have to start by saying that the actors were absolutely amazing. They captured perfectly that revolutionary atmosphere of the 80's. I actually feel what is like to be a teenager in that period just by looking at the way they act. The script and the way it is made OMG i seriously don't know where to begin. All the jokes and punchlines are so carefully implemented, this movie has so many references to both real things like the joke with Ronald Reagan and things from the bttf universe, to give an example it would be the continuous repetitions that are always placed cleverly and even if you get a feeling of what is next you always end up satisfied. What this movie really tries to emphasize is that history repeats itself and that we create our own destiny. The amazing thing about this movie is how Marty travels back in time, a place where we believe we know everything about and we are somehow still mind-blown by every character and action and feeling .You just cannot not get that chill when u think of how irreversible time is and the way this movie captures all these emotions is simply extraordinary. The best movie experience i've ever had!!!

Fun Film

Author: jbvriend from apeldoorn nederland
20 February 2015

a fun film about time traveling! good music good special effects one of the best film from 1985. also its pretty good how his mother and father are portrayed in this films its just very funny wen his mom falls in love with him but its also pretty weird but me and my friends enjoy watching it once or twice a year. the sequels aren't bad! the first one is just much better and is very original. so i would say this is an awesome movie for every age!even my cousin loves the film it has some really great music and visuals you really feel the diverense between 1985 and 1955 but it still feels like an 80's movie in both times in the film! it's also contains very laughable scene's but there still awesome! last thought awesome!