IMDb > Back to the Future (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Back to the Future

Back to the Future More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 81:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

How could anything be more fun than this?

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
1 June 2000

Back To The Future is such an inventive and exciting piece of filmmaking that it is impossible to forget about it. The casting of every character involved was absolutely perfect, and the performances were spectacular. I first saw this film when I was six years old, and it is the only movie that I know of that I don't think I could ever get sick of.

One of the best things about Back To The Future is that it really makes you think. You can have in-depth conversations about the plausibility of the story-line and spend hours discussing the film. The story is awesome, it is delivered cleverly and entertainingly, and the movie as a whole is just so much FUN that it can be forgiven whatever number of time-travel discrepancies that may be found in the plot.

I cannot recommend this movie enough. I have never found a movie other than this one that provides such a huge dose of great fun, and it has the desirable quality where you are able to see something new each time you see it. The only problem is that they stopped at part III.

You gotta come back with me...

Author: James (crazyjamesg@hotmail.com) from London, England
8 February 2001

Back To The Future (1985) is my all time favourite movie. It's a thoroughly feel good film, accessible to all ages and enjoyable from the 1st to the 45th time of watching and never fails to bring a smile. Humour for all ages and a kick-ass car to boot, what more could a young kid want? Or those young at heart?

From Marty's "Johnny B Goode" to Doc's classic "Run For It Marty!" You'll find that even though you know what's coming next, you'll still laugh. It is the ultimate feel good movie, the weed overcomes the bully, the dreamers wishes come true and all because a nosey old bird thrusts for a nickel "Save The Clock Tower!"

It's popularity spawned 2 sequels and although it got decreasingly good in terms of quality as a film, Back To The Future remains the best film in my repetoire and a safe bet when you need to feel good.

It gets a solid 9 out of 10, comedy, fantasy, the gorgeous Lea Thompson, the insane but comic Doc and the typical teenager Marty make this film a must for all young at heart.

Let your imagination fly

Author: ad-17 (anthony.d.sherratt@transport.qld.gov.au) from Brisbane, Australia
18 April 2000

A funny sci-fi? Unusual but here it not only works but does so spectacularly. A whimsical but very clever time travel story that bedazzles you leaving you wanting more.

The charasmatic Michael J Fox plays a wonderful bumbling high schooler searching for love, a guitar gig and his existence which he himself threatens to erase.

Clever and humourous references litter this fun flick; references which are further improved upon in the sequels. Views of the same scenes from different angles, different perspectives and different timelines abound.

Fun for the entire family.

Great movie

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
28 November 2004

One of the last movies I went with sister to see back in 86. The film blew my mind. My friends never wanted to see this one. I was happy I went. Many year's latter, I bought "Back to the Future" at Mc Donalds for $2.99 or for some other low price with a meal. The film ages well, and I love it just the same. The director and screen writer mixes science fiction, humor, and action perfectly. A big component of the script is time line theory which drives the story. Marty has many problems to fix, and finds out more than anyone wants to know about their parents. Michael J Fox and Christopher Loyd were excellently casted. Marty and Doc what a chemistry. With the film series one see the many dualities with time travel, that become a constant with the movie. The town clock, being awoke in a strange place, and letters. Keep this in mind when watching the 2 other sequels. The theory that time repeats itself is evident. What a time machine, the Delorian adds to this movie. Worth watch over again. 10 out of 10! Thank you TBS for showing all 3 films.

Time Travel Movies Are Always Brilliant

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
4 June 2002

Time travel movies never disappoint-that is because the concept of time travel is a very interesting one which most people must have thought about at one time or another. What would happen if you went back in time and an innocuous act changed the course of history for better or worse? It's something to think about.

I won't reveal any plot details for this movie because it will spoil it for those who haven't seen it. Let's just say that Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly ends up back in 1955 where a sequence of events inadvertently orchestrated by Marty threaten his very existence. He is aided by Doc Brown played brilliantly by Christopher Lloyd who tries to get him back to 1985 without causing any damage to the fabric of time.

The movie is great-and I feel it can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of their individual tastes in film genres. In fact, I find it hard to believe anyone could dislike a film like this. It has action, adventure, plenty of humour and some cool moments. All the actors involved in the movie play their parts great.

Anyone who watches this movie will love it.

The Lost Blockbuster

Author: Angry_Arguer from Shermer, Illinois
3 July 2003

Back to the Future is one of those rare, almost forgotten, pieces of pop culture that, surprisingly, draws little attention to itself. Unlike such notable gimmicks as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, and Independence Day, there aren't any low-budget leeches trying to imitate off this work and cash-in on its success. This is due to the near flawless script. Why it didn't win an Oscar, you're guess is as good as mine. Making a time-travel storyline as in this movie that doesn't fall into plot holes the size of Terminator's is exceptionally difficult. I'd know.

The film starts slow, and gradually accelerates as it progresses. You could almost call it a Jerry Bruckheimer movie for kids with Spielberg's trademark nostalgia. The characters themselves are typical stereotypes for a movie like this and none of them, not even Marty himself, gel with potential. In some ways it's as if MAD magazine made the film in an attempt to be serious.

With such an automotive obsession as this film has, one must wonder if George Lucas was involved.

Overall, I have to praise this movie for its inventiveness and originality, even if it created most of our time-travel cliches. 4 out of 5 stars. Well worth your time.

A Time -Travelling Classic

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
29 July 2008

Zemeckis's 'Back To The Future' trilogy has been a childhood favourite for a long time. Having revisited it today, brought me to a nostalgic state. The 80's saw a lot of excellent original fun 'young' films like 'Back To The Future' (of course), 'Better Off Dead', 'Heathers', 'The Breakfast Club' etc. What really made these films immensely enjoyable then, and classics today, is that they really reflected what it was like being a young person in the 80s. The movies themselves were well written, well executed, well acted and they cut straight to the point.

Back to 'Back To The Future'. This one is sheer fun, even today. There's an incredible energy about it but it still manages to stay an 'innocent' film. The music is very effective. It's slick and follows a steady pace. The special effects are decent. Though people might pick on the plausibility of the time travelling, I think this is really a very minor flaw because it is overall a well written movie and the point was to entertain. Yet, this is not to say that it's brainless entertainment. I think it cleverly brings forth some interesting themes and I liked how they funnily used some ideas of Oedipus Rex's story.

The acting is superb overall. Christopher Lloyd as the over-the-top mad scientist is a laugh riot. Michael J. Fox totally owns Marty McFly with his natural charisma, raw energy and brilliant dialogue delivery. Lea Thompson is cute and vivacious and Crispin Glover is good.

'Back To The Future' is one of the most enjoyable time-travelling classics. It's over 23 years old and it still hasn't gotten old. Sadly, they don't make it like this these days but then again we always can revisit them. That's why they're classics.

Gotta get back in time! Get back Marty!

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
27 February 2003

BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985) **** Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Crispin Glover, Thomas F. Wilson, Marc McClure, Wendy Jo Sperber. This generation's "It's a Wonderful Life"? Think about it. Very popular and very entertaining sci-fi comedy that made Fox a movie star after success with tv's "Family Ties", casting him, after Eric Stoltz was dropped, as Marty McFly who winds up in a nuclear-powered DeLorean time-machine and is sent back in time to 1955 by his quintessentially eccentric friend Dr. Emmet Brown (Lloyd doing a fine Art Carney). There he meets up with his parents to be and realizes his chance encounters have changed his future and he must see history repeat itself or perish. High-concept hilarity and some truly ingenious schematics thanks to screenwriter Bob Gale and director Bob Zemeckis. Wondering what it would be like to never be born and/or what it would be like if things were different...see what I mean. Oscar-nominated song "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis (who has a fun cameo) fuels this dynamo gem of a film. Classic.

Typical 1980s Film That Still Delivers

Author: tfrizzell from United States
5 September 2000

"Back to the Future" is a very smart film that benefits from likeable characters and an insightful screenplay. Michael J. Fox accidently goes back to 1955 in a DeLorean that has been turned into a time machine by the wacky Christopher Lloyd. Now Fox must bring his parents together after he inadvertently changes the future. It is not quite as complicated as it sounds. The film is great fun that seems brand new 15 years later. A great movie by Robert Zemeckis. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Part 1-Goodness gracious! Great balls of fire!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
1 December 2006

I just asked my friend that I'm speaking with through instant messenger if he had ever seen "Back to the Future" and he said "Yeah, who hasn't?", sadly, I never had the opportunity until tonite and he called me a failure as a movie buff, well, at least I've seen the movies now! Ha ha! I'm back on track! Well, obviously, this is my first review for the first Back to the Future and when I came her to IMDb, I knew this was a well loved movie, I was just amazed at it being on the top 250, but I can't give it a lower rating because Back to the Future was an excellent film that was ground breaking for it's time and still today.

Marty McFly and his good friend, The Doc, are two science nuts. Marty isn't really happy with his home life and the fact that he and his parents are very square and strict, The Doc calls Marty and shows him his latest invention, his De Lauren that he built into a time machine. When the government go after The Doc and Marty has to get away, he jumps in the car and goes back to the year of 1955, when his parents met. Instead of the way his mom and dad met happening to his dad, he ends up being in the position and mom ends up falling for her son, not even knowing! But he has to make sure his parents are together in time so he can get back without altering the future.

Back to the Future to this day is still a timeless treasure that I notice more and more is becoming part of a newer generation. Michael J. Fox should be proud, his work will be remembered for a long time. Back to the Future worked so well because of the great story and the humor was great, the whole cast worked together and made a terrific movie that will be looked back on thirty years from now and still be considered cool.

Page 1 of 81:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]