IMDb > Always (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Always

Always More at IMDbPro »

One of my all-time favorites

Author: Kate Erwin (erwinkath) from Pennsylvania, USA
25 October 2004

This poignant look at three couples in various stages of life can touch even the most stoic of hearts. I was barely a teen when I first saw this film, and almost 20 years later, I find it still has insight. Within minutes you feel like these people are your life-long friends, over for a July 4th barbecue. Single, married or divorced, many of the themes will hit home. No glitz and glamour here, it's down to earth and gets you thinking and reflecting on your own life decisions. And best of all, it grows with you.

From David & Judy's reminiscing about the speech he made on their first date, to their quirky bearded philosophical neighbor, I alternated between smiles, laughs & tears by the end of it. Fans of L.A. Law will recognize Alan Rachins as a hapless husband, drowning in the mediocrity of his own life. A young Melissa Leo (Homicide:Life on the Street) plays sister to the main character's wife, Jaglom's real-life ex, Patrice Townsend. Even the soundtrack, from Astaire to Torme, lends a wonderful backdrop to the film. Henry's stream-of-consciousness style doesn't suit all tastes, but it's what I love most about his work. I'm more than happy to leave behind the super-quick cuts, special effects, plastic characters and overzealous editing of today's blockbusters to savor this delicious slice of life.

oh, goddamnit

Author: denmn from portland, maine
10 August 2004

I shouldn't respond to this movie. Its a mess, technically, structurally, intellectually... Its like a raw, unaudited page from the diary of a heartbroken man.

And, as poetic a sentiment as that may be, it makes for a strikingly self-indulgent, meandering vanity project. But it got to me. A man loves a woman. She loves him. But she realizes she can't be happy with him. So she leaves. And he, in her absence, creates an improbable interim for them to talk, to kiss, to make love one last time. Its heartfelt enough, and odd enough, an endeavor... 7 out of 10 from me...

Marital philosophy marred by poor technical quality.

Author: mifunesamurai from Australia
6 February 2003

Jaglom's personal diary on marital relationships. Watch this with a partner and then compare notes. Be warned - this film could start up divorce procedures! But you'd be amazed how frank this technical messy and poorly edited film can be!

Unappealing lead characters

Author: pollitomanilo
27 May 2002

I had to fast forward through this movie more often than not. The lead characters were very unappealing and whiny. And I do mean whiny-- for example the lead character in so many words continually says throughout the movie, why why why do you want to leave me. Geez, get a life already. The support characters were much more interesting and for that reason earned this movie a 4.