IMDb > "The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo" (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

With Vincent Price, how can they lose?

Author: dootuss from PA
11 November 2002

They can't!!! This is one of my favorite "Scooby-Doo" shows out of all of them. This show is quite a bit different from the past "Scooby" shows because in this show, Scooby, and the gang have to get 13 ghosts back into a chest that Scooby opened by accident, no guy in a costume here, these are actual ghosts (which is cool, and it was a great step for "Scooby-Doo"),and this show is more wackier than previous "Scooby-Doo" shows, which is cool. Anyways, this show also featured a new character in Flim-Flam who was OK, and Daphne, and Shaggy wore different clothes in this show as well. Vincent Price did a great job as Vincent VanGhoul, and those 2 ghosts who were always trying to stop Scooby ad the gang from getting the ghosts back into the chest were cool too. Bottom Line: A great "Scooby" show!!!

One of the greatest Scooby Doo series. . .and with Vincent Price!

Author: TelevisionJunkie from Texas
9 September 2001

Scooby Doo had become a dismal show during my early childhood. Shifting the focus away from Freddy, Velma, and Daphne, that wretched Scrappy Doo took over star billing. Which was why it was so refreshing when this series came along. Although Scrappy was still part of the cast for this series, he was no longer the star, so he got pushed into the background as the new characters took stage. And Daphne, who was gradually worked back into the cast a year or two prior, finally returned full time with a new hairdo and outfit. Even Shaggy got new threads, turning in his patented green T-shirt for a red one.

The inspired casting of Vincent Price as Vincent Van Ghoul was enough to get me back on the bandwagon for new episodes. I had already become a fan of Price's films and the albums that he appeared on with Alice Cooper and Michael Jackson. In animated form, Vincent was as dignified as ever, and he added some charisma that had been missing from the previous series of the last few years. Among other new characters was Flim-Flam, the conniving kid with the Lots-of-Luck-Joy-Juice ("a lucky charm in a bottle"). Flim-Flam added the comic relief that Scrappy was supposed to have brought to the previous series. Which makes one wonder why Scrappy was still there. And the other new characters, ghosts Bogel and Weerd, were just hammy enough to blend with this great cast of characters.

Throughout the first few series, the ghosts and monsters were always a bad guy in a rubber mask. When they had exhausted those storylines, the ghosts became real, but many of us had tuned out (or stuck to reruns) by that time because of the annoying Scrappy Doo. This time around they were still real and Scooby and Shaggy, who were tricked into opening The Chest of Demons in the pilot, had to return all 13 ghosts back to the chest. Though more cartoonish than the monsters (masks) had been in the original series, all of the ghosts were well-designed and the storylines were more inventive than they had been in years. Episodes had the gang thrust into comic strips and mirrors; Vincent was under the spell of a beautiful demon in one episode and nearly turned to stone in another -- and in one episode Scooby even quit the show (and was replaced by another puppy) but was urged to come back by then-President Ronald Reagan in a spoof of "It's a Wonderful Life."

Out of all the incarnations of Scooby Doo, this one remains my favorite, which is probably why only 13 episodes were produced and they rarely get played. Hopefully they'll get a video release someday. If only they had dropped Scrappy and brought back Fred and Velma, it would have been perfect.. .

The ultimate Scooby series!

Author: gventola from Florida, USA
17 November 1999

"13 Ghosts" is the ultimate Scooby series--the wildest, the creepiest, the zaniest, the most daring...even the most romantic! (See Daphne and Shaggy's hug in the first episode "To All the Ghouls I've Loved Before".) It is a delight to hear the late Vincent Price as Vincent VanGhoul. And Flim Flam is a fun new character in the tradition of Short Round from "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". Daphne and Shaggy wore different clothes. Each episode, unlike the old mystery episodes, has a distinct plot, and the episodes are so clever that it's fun to watch them over and over again.

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo.

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
22 August 2009

I actually like this show, it was much better than expected and than I remembered. The animation considering when it was made was not that bad, and the theme tune and incidental music were great too. I don't think it is as good as Scooby Doo Where Are You? but it is not bad at all, and does have a great idea. Yes, the villains weren't quite as memorable as they could have been, Zomba and Maldor excepted, Film Flam is annoying and some of the writing wasn't as inventive as it had potential to have with Film Flam's goofy sayings not always working. Bogal and Weerd I can take and leave. Still the voice acting is fantastic, Casey Kasem and Don Messick never fail to bring a smile to my face as Shaggy and Scooby, and hold no equal as the lovable characters I have come to know and love. But my favourite character is Vincent VanGhoul, magnificently voiced by the wonderful Vincent Price and even looks like him. He had the best lines of the whole show especially the prologues at the start of each episode, and Price's delivery was flawless. And I loved the story lines of Maldor, Zomba(the best one), Vincent falling in love and the Shadow Demon. All in all, not the best our favourite canine has to offer as it did finish on a rather incomplete note, but not at all bad, better than the appalling Shaggy and Scooby Doo:Get a Clue at any rate. 7.5/10 Bethany Cox

Only you can return the demons to the chest! Why us? Because you let them out!

Author: reddragonhero17 from United States
10 September 2010

I at first never really cared for the whole scooby doo thing over the years. But out of nowhere this show arrived. And it was different in every way. First real ghosts and no people in costumed gave it a different approach taking a cue from Ghostbusters giving a dark atmosphere while maintaining the lightheartedness the series is known for. Although this only got 13 episodes (typical for an early show, we'll never see what ghost 12 or 13 was), it is still a good show. The voice acting is spot on (especially for Casey Kasem doing Shaggy), but the show stealer is Vincent Price with his comic serious demeanor and dark tone, he gives it life. You owe it to yourself to watch...

Vincent Price: "The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo!"

the coolest of the scooby shows

Author: departed07 from United States
15 October 2003

what i like about 13 ghosts of scooby doo is that its twice as spooky and funnier than the other scooby cartoons. Even Vincent Price is in it. too bad it didn't make it, but it was still fun. i still watch this cartoon up to date, and its cool.

A departure, but entertaining. (I like Scrappy.)

Author: Growlyted from England
27 April 2010

I've just discovered this on Virgin. (TV on Demand, Boomerang) It has my favourite pup, Scrappy, who still worships his Uncle Scoob, but has learned the art of running away. And he has a new friend called Film Flam - a street urchin. He doesn't bother me either. I didn't like the costume change for Shaggy, but he's just as goofy & lovable. Daphne also remains. However the stand out character is Vincent Van Ghoul, a warlock (played by Vincent Price) who lends magical aid to the gang. The annoying characters in the show are Weird & Bogle, who act as henchmen to the evil ghost of the episode - very cartoony, & as in the other Scrappy cartoons - real. (Sorry, I'm not that keen on the older fake ghost episodes.) And Scooby is Scooby. It's not the standard formula, but it's entertaining enough. Whether or not you like the younger characters, it's worth a look. 7/10

Despite The Appearance of Scrappy, 'The 13 Ghosts of...' Was Still A Good Cartoon

Author: waiching liu from London, England, UK
21 September 2008

The Hanna Barbera, Scooby Doo franchise underwent a drastic decline in the late seventies to early eighties when little Scrappy Doo- or as others would rename him as 'Crappy Poo'- arrived out of nowhere to join the gang of Scooby, Shaggy, Velma and Daphne. The so-called diminutive nephew of Scooby was, in many Scooby fans eyes, an annoyance and who'd embarrass the hell out of the gang, not to mention the fans themselves.

Thankfully however, a new animated show based on the characters, arrived towards the mid-eighties titled: 'The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo' and HB decided to shift their focus away from Scrappy (and rightly so), for once and onto the likes of Daphne, Shaggy, Scoob, as well as the new additions to the franchise; a pint- sized kid going by the name of Film Flam (who looked like he was of Mixed race/Asian origin) and Vincent Van Ghoul- voiced by none other than the famous Vincent Price, whose often scary voice-overs once scared the pants off me, as a kid. For those of you, who need reminding, he did the soliloquy or spoken word bit towards the end of Michael Jackson's 80s hit, 'Thriller'.

I assumed the arrivals of Price and Film Flam, meant that Fred and Velma had to make way for those two, but this in itself didn't hinder the quality of the cartoon or the story itself. I actually thought that Film Flam was not that bad- I could do with Film Flam in the cartoon and get rid of Scrappy. You also had two ghosts, Boogel and Weerd, who were the main villains and of whom tried to outwit the gang, but in the end they always fail.

The Scooby gang have to retrieve the 13 Ghosts, of which they have released from a chest, after Scooby and Shaggy were duped by Boogel and Weerd.

Arguably, the best aspect of this show was that whereas all the other Scooby shows had the same formula, plot-wise that is; i.e, haunted house, Scoob, Fred, Shaggy, Velma, Daphne (and later on Scrappy) try to solve the mysteries and unmask the villain, dressed as a monster and ghost, 'The 13 Ghosts' had a completely different narrative angle, which was refreshing to see. For once, it wasn't just about capturing and unmasking the villains, but also, there was an element of mystery, suspense and of the chest-, which acted as a prop device to further propel the gang forward, in their attempts to recapture the ghosts. It was also good to have the late Vincent Price aka Vincent Van Ghoul and his contribution in the show, was very effective I have to say.

Whilst it wasn't in the same league as say 'Scooby Doo, Where are you?' for example, 'The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo' was much better than The Scooby and Scrappy Doo Show and A Pup Named Scooby Doo, which I prefer over the Scooby and Scrappy Doo Show. It is completely different and the show's plot brought an extra dimension to one of the most famous cartoon franchises in history.

This was one Scooby show that didn't get the exposure it deserved, which was a shame but nevertheless, it was a good cartoon, -but for the inclusion of Scrappy-, and like many other toons, 'The 13 ghosts of Scooby Doo' deserved a longer run.

The only Scooby show I ever liked as a kid.

Author: Caribbean_Smurf from Netherlands
8 January 2007

Seriously, the 13 ghost spin off series was awesome. I watched this religiously. Its far better quality than the original series, the characters are way less wooden. But most of all it actually had different plots.

The originals all had the same story: Some sort of haunted house, Scooby gets his cookies, they split up and Fred goes with Daphne and Shaggy with Velma, they catch the monster, turns out its a guy with a rubber mask (sometimes several) the guy expresses his distaste for the gang, end of episode. Yawn.

This, however, is different. This time Shaggy gets the girl. (Velma isn't one in my book, yuk) This time there is Vincent VanGhoul, the scariest cartoon character ever. The 13 ghosts story was refreshing and very captivating for me as a kid.

Too bad about Scrappy the little turd, and whats-his-face, the Indian kid, but they don't really manage to ruin the series.

13 ghosts forever! I wish they made a movie out of THIS one!

7/10 ***½ Scooby-Doo Meets VINCENT PRICE!

Author: Doctor_Mabuse1 from United States
21 January 2012

THE 13 GHOSTS OF SCOOBY-DOO is an unusually promising middle-period variant of the long-running Mystery-Comedy Cartoon series. The addition of a strong fantasy element is a breakout landmark.

Most of all, the continuing guest character of mystic "Vincent Van Ghoul", voiced by Classic Horror Star Supreme, VINCENT PRICE, lends this particular show a distinction unmatched in the Universe of Doo.

13 GHOSTS is the first serialized version of SCOOBY-DOO which follows in sequence a continuing storyline established in the initial episodes. An intriguing element is the focus on some of Scooby's earliest encounters with "real" supernatural spooks (as opposed to masked crooks). This foreshadows such superior DVD animated features as SCOOBY-DOO ON ZOMBIE ISLAND, SCOOBY-DOO AND THE WITCH'S GHOST and SCOOBY-DOO AND THE GOBLIN KING.

A disappointing aspect of 13 GHOSTS is that the serial abruptly stops just shy of the overall story's conclusion. Unfortunately, the show was prematurely canceled before the final episodes could be made.

The absence of regular characters Freddy and Velma, the misuse of made-over ingénue Daphne as mere decor, along with the (albeit subdued) presence of unpopular little Scrappy-Doo, are further counts against the show.

However, it is the grating dominance of the extraneous new character Film-Flam--a token ethnic street brat with a flippant, arrogant attitude--that most seriously mars the series.

Happily, the redeeming presence of the magnificent Price and a fresh touch of color and imagination save the show and restore the relatively high quality of earlier (pre-Scrappy) SCOOBY-DOO series. For these reasons 13 GHOSTS is highly recommended to fans of the Scoob.

{Vincent Price may be best known to young viewers for his deliciously sinister spoken monologue in Michael Jackson's momentous "THRILLER". Reasonably mature SCOOBY-DOO fans desiring a deeper acquaintance with Price would enjoy the legendary Hollywood actor's rich, deliciously over-ripe performances in the following "starter set": THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS, LAURA, DRAGONWYCK, HOUSE OF WAX (1953), HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1958), THE FLY (1958), RETURN OF THE FLY, THE TINGLER (1959), HOUSE OF USHER (1960), PIT AND THE PENDULUM (1961), TALES OF TERROR, THE RAVEN (1963), COMEDY OF TERRORS, THE HAUNTED PALACE, THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH (1964), THE TOMB OF LIGIEA, WITCHFINDER GENERAL/THE CONQUERER WORM, THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES, DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN and THEATRE OF BLOOD.}

Rating: GOOD.