IMDb > "Street Hawk" (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Street Hawk" More at IMDbPro »

Under-rated super vehicle with superb soundtrack

Author: Mark-192 from Lisburn, N.Ireland, UK
29 July 1999

Back in the "super vehicle boom" with Airwolf, Knight Rider, The Highwayman and this show, teenagers everywhere watched week after week with anticipation for the next episode.

While Airwolf was the only adult show of the whole lot (and my personal all-time favourite series), Knight Rider the most family orientated, Street Hawk was aimed at a teenage demographic. Why it failed is anybody's guess (probably time-slot or competition on the other channels at the time), but while Airwolf and Knight Rider both made 4 successful seasons each (and now run in syndication today), Street Hawk was cancelled after a half season of 13 episodes - which was a real shame.

The action, the bike, the music... especially the music by Tangerine Dream (they actually did 3.5 hours of a musical suite for the show which was then split up for each individual episode - a well overdue soundtrack release would be appreciated!) added to the high-tech production values of this comic-book type show. It never got a chance.

Among my best childhood memories

Author: drew_atreides from Ontario, Canada
11 November 2004

Along with most other comments in here, i was a kid of the 80's who watched all of the super-vehicle shows..

"Street Hawk" was definitely up there among the best of the lot, with, as most people have pointed out, a terrific soundtrack. TO THIS DAY i can still hum the theme song in it's entirety. Didn't realize at the time that that was Tangerine Dream!

I still refer to Joe Regalbuto (aka FRANK FONTANA from "Murphy Brown") as "NORMAN from STREET HAWK" whenever i see him in anything.....

Really wish the show would have lasted longer.

Would kill for a DVD release!

Knight Rider But With A Bike Instead!

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
16 May 2002

Oh, how I wish Street Hawk would have had a longer run. It only ran for several episodes and it deserved a longer run especially considering the rubbish nowadays that goes on for several seasons.

This was one of the great 1980's action shows. In the 80's we TV fans seemed to have an obsession with super vehicles. There was Airwolf for fans of helicopters, Knight Rider for car fans and Street Hawk for motorcycle fans.

I've rode motorcycles on only a few occasions and I think they're great-they really get the adrenaline going. So when I watched Street Hawk I was quite excited. It was just as good as Knight Rider. The hero was one of those moralistic 80's guys. His name was Jesse Mach and his motorcycle was really hi-tech. I'll never forget the scenes where Street Hawk is speeding down the freeways to battle evil. I think this series had the potential to be as successful as Knight Rider but we were not so lucky.

I recommend this to anyone who can get hold of it.

If you like nice vehicles, this one was worth checking out!!

Author: werknhard from Baltimore, MD
23 October 2004

I Remember this show and it was good! I watched all the shows that featured a nice looking vehicle; Colt Seavers' truck (Fall Guy), Dave Starsky's Ford Torino (Starsky & Hutch), Mark McCormick's Coyote 1 (Hardcastle & McCormick), The General Lee (Dukes of Hazzard) and of course K.I.T.T. (Knight Rider). Even The A-Team van was cool. What happened to the good old days?? There isn't anything on TV now that shows off a cool car or truck. Hey, I'd even settle for a skateboard now! I don't understand why good shows like these didn't stay on the air long. With all the cable networks available, you would think someone would pick up one of these shows in syndication. To this day, I'm still waiting to see Hardcastle & McCormick again.

God , I used to love this show

Author: Paynebyname from London, England
31 March 2009

As a young boy I really loved this show.

At the time I was hugely into electro music (Jean Michel Jarre etc) so it's easy to see how the wicked Tangerine Dream theme tune had me hooked. I've always been a fan of the little guy and seeing this trying to go up against the likes of Knight Rider made me root for it even more.

I don't ride a bike but I've always thought that those who do look so cool in all their leathers and this probably helped fuel that. No visible show of skin, like some kind of futuristic warrior.

As for the show, what I can remember I hugely enjoyed. The play-off between the hero and his tech guy was always good fun as where the scenes when he would hit the turbo button. My step dad would always complain that this was impossible in a chain belt motorbike but what did he know! I remember at the end of the first episode the hero pulling out this 360 spin on the bike so he could survey the area with his special equipment. Both the tech guy character in the show, and myself, were blown away.

I can even remember an episode when the tech guy is being served by this buxom waitress in this fish restaurant. It clearly made an impression because I can exactly remember that she had on navy shorts, a navy and white horizontal striped jumper, lovely tumbling blond hair and a sailor cap.

The techie guy was all nervous but thankfully the hero gave him some tips on women and the next time the tech went back to the restaurant I think he gave her his number. As a young boy I probably held it as an example that the geek could get the honey. Only years later would I realise this was the most fictional part of the whole show! Anyway, I loved the show and was gutted when it was cancelled. Bravo to all those who made it.

Among my best childhood memories

Author: drew_atreides from Ontario, Canada
11 November 2004

Really wish the show would have lasted longer.

Would kill for a DVD release!

Quick Reviews!!

Author: malkane316 from NI
13 April 2005

Another classic eighties TV show in the vein of Knightrider and Airwolf, this time following the exploits of Jesse Mach a cop who also solves crime undercover using a souped-up black motorcycle. Although only 13 episodes were made, it remains one of the best shows of its type, with plenty of action, humour, stunts and excitement. And like those other shows it also has a great soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

The pilot tells the story of Mach, a cop with a love of bikes and who is often getting in trouble for his reckless ways. When his partner is killed by the drivers of a mysterious black van which is going on a crime spree throughout his city, Mach seeks vengeance. However, he has been suspended from the force, and warned against revenge. When he is contacted by a rather nerdy man with a new bike, Mach reluctantly accepts to meet. When he sees the bike though, and hears its specs, he wants to ride it immediately. After testing, they go for a trial, and Mach loves it, though Norman the creator is edgy, geeky and doesn't want to see the bike get scratched. He never wanted Mach, but his bosses say he is the best. So the unlikely pair and the bike set out to prevent crime, while Mach looks for that Black Van.

After the pilot, the series follows the usual formula of helping those in need, while Mach tries to hide his double-life. The banter between Norm and Jesse is good, like that of KIT and Michael, String and Dom, BA and Murdoch etc. The acting is good from the central cast, as well as from the weekly guests. The action is high with plenty of chases, the bike is very cool, and it is a pity the series never continued, ending on a semi-cliffhanger. Unfortunate when there was, and is so much rubbish about, and while some may say it is cheesy, it has its charm and is a cult show which should be visited by all fans of eighties TV.

8 out of 10

Any kid of the 80's should have had a great time with this...

Author: Head42 from Jacksonville, FL
5 December 1998

For a youngster in the early-and-mid-eighties, this light-hearted piece of renegade cop force fluff was "too rad!" Rex Smith, prettier than any law enforcement officer has a right to be, had all the toys: A motorcycle that would go, like, 180 mph in traffic while firing small rockets, total video uplink to the master crime lab in his helmet, and a racing suit form-fitted to his body by immersing him in a vat of high-tech foam! Silly, but certainly no worse than, say, "Team Knight Rider."

Not a bad show at all.

Author: soheifox from United States
27 March 2008

I remember this show, I liked it. It had one of those premises you just don't see anymore. And it had a hero. Remember those? Heroes? You don't see those in movies or TV much anymore, either. People who did what was right.. just because it was right. Jesse woulda been the same kinda man with or without the super-bike. But I'm digressing far too much.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I miss shows that were about going out, doing good, and looking cool while doing it. Street Hawk had that in huge spades. I can't say it was canceled before it's time, really. It just came too late in the game.

Of course, we could do like the Firefly fans and all gather up and inflate it as being better then it really was, and cry about the injustice about a totally average show getting cut because average isn't good enough on the big networks. That might be fun.

Again proof that the Eighties were awesome!

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
7 August 2011

Your read correctly. The Eighties were awesome. Knight Rider,The A-team,Miami Vice,Stingray,Airwolf,and much much more and then there was Street Hawk. It was great being a kid back then. Fantastic looking super vehicles that could do these amazing stunts,what is not to love about it. So yes of course this is pure nostalgia. Still,shows like these were proof that they were far more creative than they are in current days. Now I must admit that if you take out the eighties and purely look it as an action show then you will find it a bit bland. The stunts are not that impressive. But what wins you over right from the bat and what actually is one of the reasons the show has any kind of popularity is the soundtrack. Tangerine Dream simply makes this bland show in a ultra cool one. The best scenes are the scenes where the main character is cruising around or dealing with the bad guys while the theme is playing in the background. So don't go expecting something spectacular. But as lightweight crime shows goes this one has likable characters and just enough action to keep you entertained.