IMDb > "Small Wonder" (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Small Wonder"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Small Wonder" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Everything that was wrong with 80's comedy.

Author: daryn from Brisbane, Australia
9 March 2000

This is easily the worst television series I ever saw.

The premise was corny and pointless, the humour was lame and repetitive, the characters were annoying and one-dimensional: this series is like a showcase of everything that was wrong with 80's comedy.

Good show . . . except for a few small details.

Author: Bryanthemadposter from Washington, MI
24 July 2003

It's always the small details that make or break a production. I once asked my dad how Sean Connery could be in Highlander 2 as he died in the first one. "Small details," said my dad.

I asked him how the students in "Head of the Class" could be in high school for *five* years when high school is *four* years and they're supposed to be the geniuses. "Small details," said my dad.

He asked me how my grades could be so low, how I couldn't memorize a list of twenty-five vocabulary words when i could remember every little nuance of every stupid show or movie ever made. "Small details," I said.

While I was recovering, I discovered this show. It was apparently about a robot who looked just like a young girl, who could memorize the copyright page of a history textbook in two and a half seconds (Dr. Soong would be proud), but couldn't remember the lesson she had learned on being more human in the previous episode. Small detail.

Also her identity as a robot was supposedly a secret, but her voice makes Steven Hawking's sound smooth and natural. Small detail.

And nobody noticed that she wore the same *$@#% dress for God knows how many years? Small detail.

And what about the fact that she actually grew up as the show went on? Small . . .

Wait a minute, this wasn't a good show. This show sucked! I've had major dental procedures that I liked more than this show! In the end, "Small Wonder" is just one big small detail (big . . . small . . . ummmm . . . well, you get the point). Something to be swept under the rug and forgotten.

Extraordinary little wonder show.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
28 January 2017

This was actually quite a good show - unique and funny. It's a show about Father Ted Lawson who creates a robot named VICI. The robot becomes a part of the family, doing all sorts of superhuman capabilities, but her identity is kept a secret.

It's fun seeing VICI doing all sort of tricks, keeping the family's neighbors like the nosy Harriet in bewilderment.

It's a perfect little show for the entire family, especially the kids where they could enjoy some live action comedy but with a nice touch of extraordinary fun.

Grade A-

Ah! those were the 80's.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
23 February 2007

To be honest, I haven't seen "Small Wonder" in probably 10 years. But I can remember that it was a naive, tender sitcom. When I think about this show I remember the scene where Vicky vacuums under the rug in extremely fast speed. Also, I remember that Vicky never laughed and barely smiled; she was cute on her own way...

The situations were not that funny but had something likable at least. In fact, most of the situations dealt with Vicky solving the typical sitcom situations with a one liner.

There were some cheap f/x that added "that" 80's feeling to the show. Also, most of the episodes had a morale behind them. I miss these kind of sitcoms but I have to admit that "Small Wonder" is dated for today's standards.

Still, this is stuff for cult t.v. "Small Wonder" was a good option for a family watching. Oh, and the song was catchy and kitschy as hell.

Not so Bad!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
17 October 2006

Remember that this show was one of the first sitcoms in syndication in the 1980s. It was a new thing. When a sitcom or drama could not get a network, they went with syndication. I thought this show was alright in syndication because it reached a wide audience. I often saw it on Saturday evenings usually before Mama's Family. I was a kid so I didn't know better. I think we pretended that we were Viki or played her in our backgrounds. The show was never meant to be serious in the first place. The cast was somewhat decent with Marla Pennington, Edie McClurg who left to do Hogan Family, Tiffany Bressette, the guy who played her father, the brother, and the red-head girl next door with her father. The writing wasn't great but it wasn't bad. I don't recall ever not watching it. It just seemed like it came for a simpler time. I only wish Syndication was still around. It is but not as it was in the 1980s. It was the equivalent for independent films, rather just sitcoms.

A TERRIBLE series

Author: U.N. Owen from NYC
22 October 2012

I'm SHOCKED to see ANYONE giving this garbage anything more than 1 star.

I'm DOUBLY shocked to see people who were saying things like (paraphrasing) 'great 80's nostalgia.' one person said it was the show was 'innocent and wholesome.'

There are MANY things that could be classified as 'nostalgic,' but, I doubt anyone would want back because of that moniker (anyone for WW2? Civil War? The Plague? Personally, this series is akin to those 'nostalgic' events).This series was TERRIBLE. The 'acting,' atrocious.

The main character - VICI - was played by a young girl named Tiffany Brissette (who, left acting - mercifully - for US!).

In child acting, the number of performers who can actually 'act,' (rather than getting by on 'cute') is very low.

Ms. Brissette was not alone in her (poor) style of acting; the grating Emily Schulman played Harriet - the 'nosy next-door' kid.

Like Ms. Brissette, Ms. Schulman also has left acting as well.

This was a syndicated series, which usually means a lower quality - both in terms of 'stars' that can be contracted (doing syndication work usually means lower pay scale), and the writing, and everything else.

Don't get me wrong: just because a show's made for syndication automatically means it's 'b' grade. There are many series that have proved that adage incorrect.

But, in this case, SMALL WONDER lives 'up' (down, is more accurate) to the stereotype of syndicated series.

Bring back the 80's!

Author: heelsgirl from Lowell, MA USA
17 August 2007

This is truly a piece of nostalgia, I used to watch the show everyday, along with Punky Brewster. When I was a little girl, I wished that I could meet Tiffany Brissette, she was so cute back then. Of course girls can relate to the show, but it also has a target male audience, I wouldn't be surprised if when the show gets released on DVD, there aren't little boys asking their mom's for a copy. Hopefully, the syndicated market will be smart and bring this hidden jewel back to television, most recently I've only seen reruns on You Tube.

The show deserves credit where credit is due, critics and audiences have mixed feelings to say the least; but you can't help falling in love with the Lawson family and their adorable little robot VICI. Every episode she always had something funny to say, she always took everything so literally. Like when VICI's father told her to go pick up the mail, she actually picked the mailbox up from the ground. I especially liked the character of Harriet playing the nosy girl next door, she always had a thing for Jaime. Every episode was like a mini sci-fi fantasy movie, it was never too scary for the little ones. In my opinion, Small Wonder was one of the better sitcoms of it's time.

The greatest show ever

Author: Herbert Cuntwinkle (mcfruityballs@yahoo.com) from United States
15 April 2006

Small Wonder is the greatest TV show EVER!!!!! (except for Cop Rock of course).

For the love of God, will someone release this on DVD? Then I can finally die a happy man.

And Emily Schulman, if you are out there. I am single... shoot me an email babe. I think I am the man for you. I have many 'Jamie-like' qualities.

And what about a Small Wonder video game? How cool would that be? You can build your own VIKI.

I freakin love this show. Ted Lawson is my hero.

Small wonder...remember

Author: Princessoftales from United States
3 July 2005

The funniest thing about remembering this show, is how so many people diss it looking back. I was a small child when this was on the air, but I still loved it. I guess those of us that watched when we were too young to know better, loved it. The people that were teens or older back then, trash this show like it was the worst piece of garbage ever on the air. Maybe it will seem like that to me if I watch it now since i've grown up.

The one scene I remember the most was when this valley girl said to Vicky "Like jig me with a spoon." And Vicky said "Ok" in her robotic voice, and she was about to stab the girl with the spoon. LOL I only have good memories of this show. 80's TV shows give me the warm and fuzzies, maybe because that's the last time everything seemed so innocent.

She's a smaaaaall wonder.....

This show was made by robots...

Author: Mimi-16 from USA
11 May 2004

When I first saw it airing (that debut afternoon in Chicago), I thought it was a gag. A parody of typical 1960s fantasy TV comedies. I didn't expect an entire "30" minutes of it.

I don't know if I ever dropped a comment on this "show" before. But the acting was bad. The scripts were 2nd rate, the direction was 3rd rate, and the over-used canned laugh-track was 4h rate.

Anyone having any bit of fond nostalgia for this show was either a small child at the time or a happy victim of the Dumbing Down of America and Acceptance of Diminished Expectations.

Ironically, the character with the most natural emotions on the show was the android Vicki. And she had to be colder than a brand new toaster.

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]