IMDb > "Neighbours" (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Neighbours"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Neighbours" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Absolutely hilarious!

Author: hazzapooter from East Sussex, England
3 June 2004

Unlike many British soaps, which are all doom and gloom, Neighbors adds some much needed comedy to weekday afternoons. It is impossible for Neighbors to produce a serious event as arguments, fights, and, yes, even deaths and funerals are presented in such a way that you just have to laugh. A factor which I can conclude is largely influenced by the hilarious sound track underlying almost every event, scene opening and scene closing. It is true that much of the acting is also pretty laughable- but this is just one of the traits which makes this such a relaxed and familiar soap. Many of the story lines can, again, be pretty weak, but with so much comedy- who cares if they are a little off the wall? This is a fab soap which is highly addictive. I would, and am, seriously recommend it to absolutely anyone and everyone!

Australia's Global Series

Author: Rhys Cook (rhys_oz@hotmail.com) from North Wales, Great Britain
8 October 2002

"Neighbours", contrary to many peoples' opinions, is a well acted and well crafted soap opera. It is its timeslot in the UK among children's programmes which has been a caused for some critics to label it "cheap teens soap" - but in many countries "Neighbours" earns a prime time slot. "Neighbours'" daily screening in more than 57 countries with a daily audience in excess of 120 million viewers is testament to its success. In a television world dominated by soap operas, "Neighbours" has always remained close to its original concept by soap-master Reg Watson.

"Neighbours" has produced a host of actors who have graduated from "Ramsay Street" to become world-wide celebrities, most notably Kylie Minogue (Charlene Mitchell); Jason Donovan (Scott Robinson); Guy Pearce (Mike Young); Natalie Imbruglia (Beth Brennan) and Holly Valance (Felicity Scully). Its mix of children, young adults, parents and grandparents has ensured fascination for all generations, and the show has succeeded far beyond its creator's expectations - especially in Britian where it was bought as a daytime 'filler' programme for the BBC in 1986.

"Neighbours" celebrated the filming of its landmark 4000th episode in December 2001, firmly making it Australia's longest running series, and one of the World's most popular and acclaimed television programmes. With the addition of actors such as Janet Andrewartha, Maggie Millar and Madeleine West, as well as old favourites Tom Oliver; Ian Smith, Jackie Woodburne and Alan Fletcher, this success can only continue.

As good/bad as it ever was

Author: tonygillan from England
14 September 2003

People say this show is not as good as it was. They are wrong. The standard of drama has never slipped from abysmal from day one. A sort of hybrid between 'Crossroads' and 'The Beano'.

It has always entertained me. What I like about it best, is that I get home and am not provided with any challenge to my brain whatsoever. Good. Who ever got anywhere by being forced to think?

The only regression is the theme song. Bring back the cheesy pub piano and the even cheesier line 'Next door is only a footstep away'. That's poetry that is.

The best and worst show ever

Author: mr_me
20 April 2006

I LOVE Neighbours, it is the best form of escapism ever, with it's ridiculous story lines, laughable characters and the over the top drama. It really is the highlight of the evening after a hard days work. In the UK, other viewers come home from work to get depressed by watching Coronation Street and Eastenders, other choose to be cheered up by Neighbours.

The average character only seems to last two years, although there are still a few long term ones left. Characters are guaranteed to have either a spectacular departure, or go on a cruise/honeymoon/sci-fi convention/help out on parents farm and never come back.

Hilarious recent story lines include Susan seducing a priest, the musical, the plane crash, Harold's dead daughters double, the evil twin, anything to do with Harold and his trombone and Sindi's transformation into a mental patient.

Better than Home and Away.

Author: ratzcatcher from Australia
30 November 2005

When in comes to Australian television series, Neighbours is a legend. From what began as humble beginnings way back in early 1985 this program has survived the test of time. Originally broadcast on Channel Seven the show was axed after just five months and was sold to Ten in 1986. The rest is history. This program has launched the careers of many Australians most notably, Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan, Guy Pearce, Natalie Imbruglia, Holly Vallance and Delta Goodrem. Whilst not as popular as its hey day in the late 1980's and somewhat unrecognisable from 1985, Neighbours continues to deliver strong story lines and keeps on keeping on. Heres to another 20 years.

Pure Entertainment

Author: kurflunk from United Kingdom
2 July 2006

Possibly the most entertaining 20 minutes of any given day and surely the most under-rated TV programme alive today. Summery, shiny, honest 5 day a week Australian soap opera set in Ramsay Street, Erinsborough (Melbourne, allegedly) A launchpad for much talent, featuring addictive, irritatingly, lovable, joyful story lines and characters. A programme which requires minimal concentration, but has a sense of decency and humour like no other. Generally ridiculed, but secretly appreciated. Held together by the more reliable older experienced actors, but allows younger guys a chance to own their story lines and see what they can do. At times banal, but quite charming, warm and wonderful. In short - NEIGHBOURS ROCKS!

Brilliant

Author: arabesuku from Norfolk, England
18 January 2005

I am a very good fan of Neighbours. I am not a soap-addict, one of those people who always have to see every soap on the television, nor one of those who does nothing but watch television. In fact, I am one of those who watches little television, and still this has been one of the only things I like to see. I watch it when I come home from school, some other friends of mine do too. This has some great story lines, some that a few of us can relate to, from worries about parenting to sexuality confusion to trying to fit in at school, etc. There are plenty of stories to keep the viewer interested. Although some seem a bit far-fetched, this show is still very good and keeps me entertained throughout each 30 minute episode. I recommend this to anyone who wants to see a good soap. Beware, you may get stuck on this one.

THE soap

Author: A56T from United Kingdom
10 September 2010

Neighbours seems to be going through a tough time of late but I still think that it's better than many of the other soaps on TV because it maintains it's basic charm and the characters are always real and fun to spend time watching.

Everyone has a favourite moment from the series or a character that they loved and this is testament to the great writing and performers who have graced Ramsey Street over the years. From bombs to car crashes we've watched it all unfold with the same sparkle that makes Neighbours so special.

Home and Away may get all the hype by Neighbours is still the best place to be at five thirty in England.

Happy Birthday Neighbours - the best is surely still to come.

The Perfect Soap

Author: info-549-181175 from United Kingdom
7 December 2012

Neighbours is the perfect escapism from dull, stressful reality. The plots are interesting and varied, not too protracted, and the acting is of a high quality. All those who look down their noses at soaps take note, this series has been going nearly 30 years.

Paul Robinson is the perfect bad boy and delightful to watch; Chris is someone you just want to hug, you're desperate for a; Vanessa and Lucas to get together, and b; Karl and Susan to get BACK together, and you just wish somewhere like Harold's or Charlie's actually existed.

All in all, the perfect mix of humour, good meaty plots, and escapism.

Long may it reign!

Loved it but hated it in the end

Author: Gglove from Ireland
14 November 2012

I first started watching Neighbours when I was 12 in 2005 or 2006. It was so much better then because the actors and characters were the right ones to be on the set and everything was picture perfect! Loved the old Theme song and loved them over and over again. But then, when I was 14 in 2009, the characters were killed off the show and even the actors which made it into a mess. The neighbours crew got people that haven't a clue of acting and are staying there which they should've been gone long ago! I'm notI first started watching Neighbours when I was 12 in 2005 or 2006. It was so much better then because the actors and characters were the right ones to be on the set and everything was picture perfect! Loved the old Theme song and loved them over and over again. But then, when I was 14 in 2009, the characters were killed off the show and even the actors which made it into a mess so I stopped watching it altogether even my friend agreed about this! The neighbours crew got people that haven't a clue of acting and are staying there which they should've been gone long ago! I'm not blaming on the present actors but I'm blaming the writers for mocking this up. I know it's nice to have a change around and not get sick of the old characters but I'm not that sort of person. I would love if the writers got on their bikes and make it better again. I promise ya I would watch it again! :)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]