The Equalizer (TV Series 1985–1989) Poster

(1985–1989)

Great show, great actor, wrong actor.........
sktn77a@aol.com20 November 2017
I loved this show and I loved Edward Woodward as "Callan". He would have been phenomenal in the Equalizer........ when he was 15-20 years younger. Unfortunately, he was really just too old to be the tough guy battling crooks and thugs on this show.

Enjoy it, just don't take it too seriously. Denzel is also approaching retirement for this role, too. Hopefully, the Equalizer II will be his last.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The 80s at its peak
Parker Lewis8 October 2017
It's not a coincidence that The Equalizer declined in ratings with the election of "A thousand points of light" Bush Sr, serving as a preface to Bill Clinton. Still, with the "superpredator" comment of Hillary Clinton, perhaps The Equalizer can be rebooted on TV, especially with Denzil bringing Edward McCall back to the big screen.

I love the Equalizer TV series, and Edward "Callan" Woodward was the one to sort things out big time, especially in the rotten core of The Big Apple. McCall provided the reassurance that he would deliver justice before we went to bed for the night.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Series, Which Serves as an "Unofficial" Sequel to Callan
grendelkhan13 November 2014
Edward Woodward returned to television, on the other side of the pond, as a different burnt-out secret agent, Robert McCall. McCall bears more than a passing resemblance to David Callan, Woodward's iconic character from his British TV series. He has been used and abused for years, in the shadowy world of espionage, with its murky ethics and high body count. Unlike Callan, he is able to walk away from his masters, when he resigns, after a botched operation leads to the death of is charge. McCall, finding himself finally free of this dark world, decides he wants to do something to make the world better and using the skills that he has, advertises his services in the newspaper, as "The Equalizer," someone who evens the odds for those in trouble.

The series is one part spy-fi, one part private eye, and one part crime drama. Each week, McCall is contacted by someone in need and he responds, charging no fee (he is independently well off, thanks to information gained in his spy days, which allows him to make shrewd investments). Occasionally, he finds his services required by his old masters, via his former boss (and friend) Control. On other occasions, he uses his relationship with control to gain access to agents and resources of "the Agency" to aid in his mission.

The series makes great use of New York location shooting, while also creating an edgy visual style. Shadows are frequently used and the series plays upon urban fears, with various predators menacing his clients. It mixes high class living with squalid apartments and empty warehouse.

Edward Woodward is excellent as McCall, with the character's desire to bring justice and peace giving him ample opportunity to orate. McCall uses powerful speeches as much as powerful handguns. Woodward is at his best when he is raging against something, though he also excels at the quiet moments. He gives the character a well- rounded feel, aided by great writing, which emphasizes McCall's flaws as much as his virtues. McCall's calling has made him a poor father and he often uses guilt to attain favors from Control, yet rants when Control asks him to return the favor.

Apart from the hair and some of the clothes, the one element of the series that scream "the 80s" is the music from Stewart Copeland, the drummer for The Police. Copeland created the synth-heavy sound of the series, from the iconic opening theme, to the incidental music used throughout (again, heavy on synth and drums). However, it is such a part of the show that it never really seems archaic. The same could not be said with the music Copeland created for the Babylon 5 pilot movie ("The Gathering").

The series is filled with great guest actors, many of whom would go on to bigger things, like Vincent D'Onofrio, Kevin Spacey, Christian Slater, and others, while also making great use of classic actors like Robert Lansing (Gary 7, on Star Trek), Ron Neal (Superfly), Robert Mitchum, and Richard Jordan. It made great use of outstanding characters actors, drawn in, no doubt, by the quality writing.

This is a series worth watching and owning on home video. It was a stylish piece of TV, with great characters and excellent writing, and top notch performances.
the best
jeret5029 September 2014
this show was one of the best cop/revenge series ever.superlative acting/script,i cant say enough about this show. i think it was way underrated.Ed Woodward was also in 1973's"The Wicker man", a truly chilling movie.too bad he died. great actor.i would go out of my way to watch this show.The rest of the cast also brilliant,same for direction, music,just great.have been waiting years for it to come on video.miles ahead of all the garbage on cable now.fortunately its on video now and people will see it in its glory.kinda like The Punisher and James bond rolled into one.Decide for yourself.Hopefully the new movie will do it justice.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Longer it went, dumber it got
This show actually had decent idea for story. Some sort of ex-vet decides he wants to help people, places ad in newspaper, sets up answering machine and starts helping people. Mostly for free, which begs question of what does he live on, and how does he finance stupid amount of gear he uses in few episodes, but oh well.

Where it falls apart is terrible writing. Main actor is actually decent actor, so its not his fault show is horrible. Rest of the cast are neither here nor there. Some can act, somewhat, rest act like its their first time, which it might have been.

I survived 11 episodes of it gradually declining in quality before it became more akin to bad comedy than anything entertaining. Episode #12 "Reign of Terror" is about some street gang and it is by far worst written TV show episode out of everything I have seen in last few years. If you are considering getting this show, I strongly advise watching this episode first to see if this is something that will appeal to you or whether to give this garbage a pass.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My Name Is Robert McCall.
AaronCapenBanner20 August 2013
Edward Woodward was fantastic as former "company" operative Robert McCall, who abruptly resigns from service and offers his skills and connections to help ordinary people in need, whether that be from street punks, gangsters, terrorists, stalkers, or corrupt corporations. Whatever the threat, McCall was up for the challenge, and he certainly wasn't a man you would want for an enemy! I marveled at how Edward Woodward imbued the role with such power and menace to the criminal element, who frequently underestimated this middle-aged Englishman the same way murderers would Culumbo, for instance. To see Woodward take on younger threats and beat them in his fearless style was a joy to watch; this was a man trying to make amends for his mysterious past, a man who has seen much evil, and isn't intimidated by it, and who likely doesn't fear his own death.

Pity it was canceled after four years, but has recently received a full series DVD release, so now can be enjoyed once again by both old and new fans.
EQ pilot
nicstepro3 June 2012
I miss the Equalizer.

Burn Notice is my modern day EQ, but I do miss the days when everyone wasn't 30-something (or more often 20-something) in their professions. A mature man who maybe sees the adolescent wolves nipping at his heels ("This one's mine, McCall!" when McCall tries to get the gunman to lower his weapon and has to shoot), whose mid-life crisis goes in a positive direction.

I do think more slipped by whoever 'proofed' these shows back then, like Colleen's magically disappearing dishrag. It's here by the lamp, it's there in her hand, it's gone, it's back again when Colleen's stalker calls (and calls back). Add to that, the discontinuity when the stalker stops speaking, but his lips are still moving. Somehow I think more of that sort of thing is caught today.

Nor did they count on VHS/DVD magic revealing the 'empty' car going into the water after McCall shoots the driver. Or the badly toupeed stunt double of Woodward's during the fight scene on the boat.

And I have some nits, like the CIA being so threatened by him he's in a Red File (Callan anyone?). I think a real red file would just be given to lawyers and he'd have pile of non-disclosure agreements to sign. Death by hand-cramp.

A lot of promise in the pilot. A nice appearance by Jerry Stiller. A fancy apartment the Equalizer looks out of place in, and a dog that is thankfully never seen again (Sorry, can't Equalize today, I have to take the dog to the vet.) I do wish the series had gotten into how he managed to get the police behind his actions with no 'official' backing. Or stuck to more conventional and fewer preachy stories as it did toward the end. But I still would've loved another season.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Equalizer a sequel to Callan?
deforest-13 September 2011
Edward Woodward starred as 'Callan' (1966-71), an English series where he played the top agent of a top secret British government spy organization that 'fixed' situations that couldn't be fixed otherwise. It was (and still is) a genuine TV classic, with fine scripts and characterizations -- as seen on the Sky channel UK TV when it's rerun periodically. Co-stars included Anthony Valentine and Patrick Mower as his younger, more ruthless colleagues. As soon as I saw 'The Equalizer' in the mid Eighties I saw it as a worthy successor to 'Callan' for Edward Woodward, now playing someone older and wiser, and a little softer at the centre.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still holds up now, Woodward was perfect.
amesmonde17 August 2011
Robert McCall, a former secret agent offers his expertise and services to people in need. He can be found through a newspaper ad that reads: "Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer. 212 555 4200". In the process of helping desperate New Yorkers he inflicts justice upon hoodlums, murderers, kidnappers and drug dealers to name a few.

Tamely choreographed fights aside and despite a lack of blood when some one is shot The Equalizer stands the test of time. Edward Woodward is perfectly cast as the quintessential English gentleman, at times teaching the bad guys some manners. There are debatably few actors that would have pulled off the dangerous character as well. His age makes the retired character more believable and he has a look and edge that makes him a credible killer.

While each episode is entertaining some fair better than others. It's always engaging whether McCall is using a his wits and some psychology or a ballistic knife, Uzi or Walther PPK. The episodes that are set in the thick of a conspiracy or that give hints of Macall's background are the more memorable. The supporting cast are more than adequate and usually feature a familiar face or an up and coming star of the time.

Its New York setting elevates the realism with its gritty look. The writing, especially for much of the first season is of feature film quality. All episodes are competently directed and capture the trends and style of the time, making it great nostalgia for some. The soundtrack usually contains the chart toppers of the time and while some of the music score has dated the Equalizer theme is still as good as it was back in the 80's.

Between 1985 and 1989 it was perfect TV entertainment. Disregarding pleasant remembrances The Equalizer is as relevant as it was then and still holds up on viewing now.
not a review
youaintlying19 September 2010
I wish they would get a older actor to play Robert McCall in this movie. Michael Caine would have been really good 10 years ago but he's a little past his prime when it comes to the physical parts of the roll. I personally think that Peirce Bronsman(Remmington Steele,007)would be perfect for this role and make it a movie worth remembering instead of another shoot em up and blow them up kinda movie. If you watch the TV show from the 80's, you'll see that the premise of the show is the fact that he is older and has the experience to handle situations in a more precise way that a younger person would handle it.Jason Stadum will go in, guns blazing and problem solved.But a older detective would go in and out think his enemy.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Equalizer
junk-mail8226 October 2009
Hey, I stumbled on this info and thought other fans should know about it too. I saw a myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/angelfallnovel) which led me to Coleman Luck's web site page located at colemanluck.com.

To jog your memory, Coleman Luck was the writer and producer who wrote most of the Equalizer episodes. He also ran the show for the majority of its time on the air and was the reason we all loved the show. He wrote the episodes we all remember the most . . . like "memories of manon" and "blood and wine" . . . classics. We can only hope that the movie will capture the essence of these episodes.

I am so happy to see Coleman's latest work and can't wait for more.

So cool.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"The Equalizer" is no "Rockford Files".
Hal Guentert30 October 2008
I decided to take another look at the "The Equalizer" on DVD when I couldn't find much on TV. Unfortunately, I have to agree with the other reviewers who consider this series implausible. At best these episodes are fairy tales about a white knight who saves the person in distress. Equalizing things seems like a good idea until you have to consider how difficult that really is to do, and it makes McCall the judge, jury, and executioner just like the British we fought to get independence from. His Jaguar still looks nice, though.

I found that I now have problems with the whole premise of "The Equalizer". Who is Robert McCall supposed to be, ex-CIA or ex-MI6, licensed private detective or amateur detective, "Robin Hood" or elitist mercenary? I never saw him identify himself as a licensed private detective as the plot description claims he is, but he gets special treatment from the NYPD. You are lead to believe that he is ex-CIA allowed to operate illegally because he is a well respected retired operator, some type of bullet proof "white knight" above the law of the helpless, hapless common folk. (Most of these folks could have solved their own problems if they were armed to begin with.)

The other problem is with his clients. I am not sure if the writers are trying to be politically correct for the times, trying to be provocative, or even have a clear political agenda. I consider myself pretty sympathetic and open minded, but have a hard time developing any sympathy for many of the Equalizer's clients. For example, one women considers cheating on her husband with some guy in a bar, gets an innocent man killed without even warning him, gets her friend who encouraged her to cheat killed, gets a couple of other bystanders killed, almost gets her husband killed, but lives happily ever after to take a vacation with her husband in Nantucket. I hope McCall at least billed her his full rate whatever that is. ("Jim Rockford" was up front $200/day plus expenses.)

Some of the other clients just don't want to move, and several people have to die so they can keep their low rent housing like it was the last place on Earth they could live. "Rockford" would have told them to move if they did not own the property, and blown them off as foolish otherwise.

I am just left with the feeling that McCall is a good man who wants everyone to call him "Sir" or "your lordship", and he thinks he is the "decider" when it comes to who should live and who should die in NYC. Reminds me too much of Dick Cheney, or Higgins on "Magnum P.I.". All McCall needed to do was shoot someone in the face with a shotgun, then make them apologize to him, join the Council on Foreign Relations, and start lobbying for some bank "bail-outs". "Rockford" just wants to fish, do his job, and stay out of gun fights.

I vote for "The Rockford Files" (even "Magnum P.I.") as being much more plausible than "The Equalizer", but if you like fairy tales or just want to see some interesting footage of 1980s NYC, then take a look.
1 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Englishman In New York
Darrin18 September 2008
Before "Law & Order," there was "The Equalizer." A one-man judge, jury & sometime executioner. As one who grew up watching this show during the Big '80s, I had long waited until it was released to DVD. Stewart Copeland's (The Police) pulsating rhythm beats perfectly accompanies the series. Edward Woodward is An Englishman In New York. A New York of yesteryear that is a far cry from the New York of today - safest, largest city in the nation. Like "Law & Order," "The Equalizer" was shot entirely on location. With his stern English demeanor, "The Equalizer" does what he does best: the calm before the storm. Whether you want to reminisce or tire of today's reality show saturation, "The Equalizer" is a must-see!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Tranquilizer
screenman24 August 2008
Edward Woodward was more or less a spent force by the time this series appeared. As a worthy British actor and star of the cult movie 'The Whicker Man' he obviously had no trouble finding a role in American Television. And he would have been able to pad-out his pension fund with the sort of pay-cheques only ever dreamt of in Blighty.

But he was an old man. He should have stuck to old man roles. Playing the tough guy he made so popular in 'Callan' was now past him. Time and again you could see that he was out of breath in action sequences and pulling his punches in fist-fights. Whilst at the same time, the script was never adept enough to carry an intellectual alternative to the use of force.

I watched a few episodes at the time and even then winced at the implausibility of it all. The script was banal and wordy. The plots shallow and predictable. It featured Edward Woodward, great British actor, star of 'The Whicker Man'; and that was that.

You could fall asleep otherwise.
2 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Edward Woodward on HBO series
ca-correa316 October 2007
Edward Woodward did a fantastic job in The Equalizer series back in the mid 80's, I probably watched every one of them, and now, on HBO, the Five Days series also features Mr. Woodward, playing the grand father of the missing lady.I noticed this October 16th 2007.I thought it was interesting, he is one of those actors who has the ability to deliver a performance without showing like an acting job, a true natural. Another great component for The Equalizer's great outcome, in my opinion, was the fact the he delivered justice in a way that unfortunately is not possible in real life, but at the end of each episode you would feel good about it.
One Great Series
ed-75510 January 2007
For years, The Equalizer was TV's best series. Employing the great British actor Edward Woodward as a combination of the Knight Errant, Don Quixote and the Existential Hero was a stroke of genius. Woodward's Shakespearean style and personality, overlaid against the grimy, ugly business of problem-solving in urban America, made his character and dialogue stand out even further in bold relief. And having the City of New York as the Extra Player gave each episode a grittiness, pressure, suspense and excitement all its own.

There have been lots of spy series and CIA shows, but never one about a repentant agent until this. Demonstrating that repentance by helping the needs of Everyman was the heart of the show. But each segment retained the "espionage flavor" by using current "agency" personnel, protocol and paraphernalia.

That repentance presupposed moral absolutes, and the segments are replete with a high view of right and wrong. Right is heroic, and sleaze is truly scuzzy. Indeed, this tension forms the basis for Robert McCall's involvement with his clients. After mortally wounding one adversary who still won't reveal a kidnapped victim's whereabouts, McCall asks the dying man about to slide into eternity, "What if there is a God?"

But successful people (and shows) tend to stop doing the thing that made them successful. So later episodes of the series began delving further into the bizarre to try and retain viewer interest. Those experiments didn't work (and never do).

Yet Stewart Copeland's early techno compositions, rhythm work and "Police" chord progressions kept the interest level high, even when the scripts waned at times.

Thankfully, the other genius element was the casting. Kevin Spacey, Ray Sharkey, Will Patton, Patricia Clarkson and many others (like Copeland himself!) got their first crack or big break through The Equalizer. And veteran actors like Tovah Feldschuh, Dennis Christopher, Edward Binns and Robert Lansing came back to the tube via the series. The only problem was, that, next to Woodward, even our best actors sometimes paled (and the scripts were weighted to his lines, and didn't always do the other actos justice).

But the current episodes on air (it was a Universal series, so Universal/NBC has run it on Sleuth and Universal HD networks) are some of the brighter spots on the TV day. Thanks for that!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Series
marciakohring28 December 2006
Series is very much enjoyed. I never got the opportunity to watch it when it was first aired in the 80's. Edward Woodward is an excellent actor and makes the character of Robert McCall real. In fact he seems to project that ability in all the various roles he has played in other movies as well. His range of acting ability is as diverse as the roles he plays. One review even called him Britain's answer to Sean Connery. The Equalizer should be aired - all four seasons. It is better that the fanciful detective tales being carried now. In addition to good scripts, the photography of New York and DC is excellent. The supporting cast for each episode is well planned.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderfully different
potoroo12 December 2006
I first saw this series in German when I lived in Switzerland. It was well written and acted; so different from the other shows of the time. Back then, the whole NYC scene was adding to the mystique of the show. The Jag was a nice touch, too! It went well along with the classy acting. The soundtrack is as well quite unique. The German version contained voice-overs during the opening sequence to explain a bit of the background. I was at first somewhat surprised to find it missing in the original version.

I was happy to see the show airing on Universal in HD; it's great to be reliving the episodes without dubbing and in HD.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Equalizer episodes should be available as a first-rate DVD set. Season one is in good technical quality.
Thomas_J_McKeon4 November 2006
The consensus of the other reviewers is that this is an excellent detective/mystery series; certainly I agree with that and probably cannot add anything of substance to their comments. As to the program, all I will say is Edward Woodword's fine, convincing acting, the excellent plot development (in every episode, each of which usually stands on its own), the choice of a great supporting cast and Stewart Copeland's fine scores--what more could one want in a TV show. In fact, The Equalizer was and probably still is too good for television.

My real purpose in originally writing this was to attempt to prod the owner of the copyright, Universal, to make all the episodes (and possibly some that might be in the can and not yet shown) available on DVD. From the plethora of very positive comments it is obvious that this is not only an artistic success but something that likely would be commercially feasible. I first wrote: "Should it not be made available on DVD, I guess I will have to content myself to try to find all the episodes on VHS and dub them onto DVD-R." Since then I have obtained a set from TVDVDPlanet.com of (it claims) all the episodes on 22 DVD-Rs in boxes with no manufacturer on the label. I have viewed several and they were crudely taped from TV(some even say A&E on them). Video quality is very poor. Apparently this is region free. It seems all are DVD-R not DVD and quality is awful. Packages are shipped from Canada.

Since writing the above I learned that Season One would be officially released by Universal in the States and it has been. This is a region 1 DVD. It is a 5 disc set with all 22 episodes from the first season. It can be ordered at Amazon.com and other sellers. Technical quality is very good. I did notice that one episode was in stereo though the packaging says mono. Definitely worthwhile and I hope they follow through on the rest.

Since writing the above I have noted that the domain TVDVDPlanet.com has been taken away from one Alan Knight of Key West Florida by Planet Entertainment, Inc. The complaint alleged that the website may be offering unauthorized and infringing product to the public. See http://www.tvdvdplanet.com/tvdvdplanet.pdf. Nothing was said about the "quality" (or lack of it) of the product.

Thomas J McKeon Indianapolis
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is a great suspenseful show. My favorite mystery!
flyind-112 July 2006
The equalizer is probably my favorite mystery. I watch the reruns every day, and, since they do not have DVD's out as far as I know, I have started to tape them. This show has a great level of suspense for anyone who loves mysteries, and it's got an interesting plot in every episode.

I'm only going on 14 and just started watching the show's reruns about 2 months ago (when my grandma discovered it was in syndication) but it's already one of my favorites. I was educated early on about violence and the issues that I see appear in the Equalizer, so I understand it completely. I know the show has a high level of violence and deals with many strong subjects, but that's nothing compared to some of the things I see today on TV. McCall does kill a lot of bad guys, but at least they don't make an extremely graphic scene. McCall even dislikes killing anyone, so that doesn't mean he enjoys shooting his gun off at every criminal out there. This show dealt with things that actually happen. There is violence out there, and there are very scary things going on as well. If only there were a few real Equalizers, we could make a difference.

Robert McCall has true to life feelings in my opinion. Sure, you may not meet a man who keeps a bunch of weapons and used to work for the CIA, but he has normal feelings. He's calm and kind, but his temper can flare with proper stimulation, such as a very nasty bad guy or an argument with Control. He knows what to do and tries all he can to help his clients. Edward Woodward does a great job portraying Robert McCall as lifelike. He brings a uniqueness to the character that I haven't seen on any show before. The role fit him perfectly. Woodward's way of playing McCall can not be done by anyone else.

The Equalizer is ready to dole out justice to criminals, and to equalize the odds of those who's odds are against them. I may not have been alive when the show ran it's course, but thanks to syndication, The Equalizer is my daily treat to enjoy alone, with my family, or with my friends. I truly think it is an awesome show.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Equalizer/This comment may contain SPOILERS.
chenaultli8 April 2006
When I was a kid growing up in the 50's and 60's,my absolute favorite show was "Have Gun Will Travel"! I am constantly amazed that no one makes the connection between Robert McCall and Paladin! I fully enjoyed "The Equalizer" program;it was ,in fact,one of my favorites during it's run; and ,at one point,I suddenly realized why I enjoyed it so much. It is a modern,updated version of "Have Gun Will Travel" They are both exceedingly well done and complement one another beautifully. In both programs,we see an individual who is attempting to redeem himself for past sins.Each takes the same tact. They elect to use the expertise they have acquired to aid those who are beyond the traditional means of support provided by society at large. In both we see not the typical blustering hero,but a man with flaws and imperfections,doing the best he can to help others,while redeeming his own soul! Well done-Very well done
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertainment with class and sophistication
cbv-215 September 2005
Ed Woodward's portrayal of McCall is well above what the average viewer would be subject to on any given evening on any given program.

The episodes give one the sense of a short theatrical production as opposed to a half hearted, thrown together typical television program. The stories are thought out with substantial plot development. The background of the characters are nicely developed which allows the viewer to empathize with them and experience the drama fully as it unfolds.

The music, locations and the black Jaguar all contribute as well to making this series, undoubtedly, one of the best ever syndicated productions ever.

If you aren't familiar with the adventures of Robert McCall or haven't had the privilege of observing an Edward Woodward performance then get your wallet out and buy this series. I'm highly confident you won't regret doing so.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
remembering the 80's
emile6412 June 2005
Hi, This TV show is one of my favorites.

Excellent actors, especially,Edward Woodward, nice shots of NY, fine music from Stewart Copeland,still have the CD "the equalizer and other cliffhangers" ,nice Jag, I bought the same model 8 years ago,and drive her still around. Last week the rerun, one episode a week, started here on television.It was the first episode, in which mcCall meets his son Scott after quitting the secret service. Does anybody know if Robert Mitchum acted in some of later episodes; The ones in which mcCall, drove the later model Jag xj40 .A shame this TV-series isn't on DVD available !!! Bye, Emile
Catching Up.
tfrizzell9 June 2005
A former CIA spy (Edward Woodward) is now a private investigator that helps out clients with problems that are beyond the normal authorities in "The Equalizer", one of the better series of its type during the late-1980s. The show went on for five seasons on CBS and did fairly well in the ratings department. There is definitely a hard and dark edge to this series which has been somewhat forgotten over the years but still packs a punch with its adult themes and story lines. Woodward dominated here while others (son William Zabka in particular) came and went in a revolving door of regulars and guest stars. A heart attack suffered by Woodward in real life during the middle of the run looked like it might kill the concept for good, but "The Equalizer" quietly went on without a hitch until it was finally canceled by the network in 1989. 4 stars out of 5.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A well constructed program in the main and well acted by all
RDeCamper18 October 2004
I agree with most of the comments about The Equalizer as far as its good qualities are concerned. I thought Edward Woodward did a fine job of acting and his costars were very helpful also to each plot. I had taped a number of the episodes and am enjoying them even now. I, as I noted some persons have said, wish the series could be made into DVD's and thus kept on our television screens. I especially enjoyed the episode with Edward's wife, Michele, who is a well-known actress on her own. I hope Mr. Woodward has been able to see how much his many viewers enjoyed his performances. I am wondering too if he will ever return to the United States to perform for us on the stage? I wondered too why he did not sing in more shows? He did sing a bit of As Time Goes By in one episode where he was outside dancing with a costar on a snowy night.