Dempsey and Makepeace (TV Series 1985–1986) Poster

(1985–1986)

12 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
A great show that didn't last
Watching the ridiculous, but funny "Keen Eddie: (on Fox) last night made me think about D&M and how wonderful it was. We got to see 20 of the 29 episodes produced and they ran as a syndicated show during the fall of 1985. Unfortunately the remaining shows didn't make it over here. Michael Brandon and Glynis Barber had tremendous on-screen chemistry (which eventually carried off-screen as they got married), and the writing, location shooting, directing, and acting were top notch. Dempsey's character was an no-nonsence action guy, who often had a hard time with the stiff rigid ways of Scotland Yard. Makepeace, on the other hand, though by the book on the job, was a wild society dame after hours, which took Dempsey a while to adjust too. I would like to see the final 9 episodes to see if D&M's sexual tension finally resulted in them "closing the deal"!!! I wonder if this marvelous show will ever show up in re-runs?
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Show!
vs66196622 January 2006
I used to watch D&M here in the US in 1985. It was broadcast on the local NBC affiliate after "Saturday Night Live" and was on for about a year. I stumbled upon it by accident and quickly became a fan. I liked the lead actors (Michael Brandon and Glynis Barber, who are married in real life) and the premise of the show (NYC cop who is set up by his partner is sent to work in London on some kind of exchange program for his own safety). The location shots were also terrific and really added to the plot. I really miss it, as I haven't seen any cop show quite like it ever again. I have some VHS tapes of the show. I read some comments about a DVD release, which would be great. I'd love to watch all the episodes over again. I can't believe it's been more than 20 years since I first watched it! Check it out if you get a chance. Highly recommended. I give it 10 out of 10 stars.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Chemistry Between Brandon and Barber
Big Movie Fan25 May 2002
Michael Brandon and Glynis Barber made a great team as they played Dempsey and Makepeace in this exciting cop show from the 1980's.

Dempsey was the tough and streetwise American cop, Makepeace was the educated Detective Sergeant based in England. They were total opposites but that's what made the show great.

The music from this show was one of the best from the 1980's and the action scenes were just brilliant. British criminals just couldn't stand up to the tough Dempsey who was a brilliant fighter and who didn't really get hurt much. Makepeace could also hold her own against the bad guys. They worked for the intense Chief Superintendent Spikings played by the late Ray Smith and aiding them on cases was Detective Sergeant Jarvis played by Tony Osoba.

Brilliant series-especially the pilot episode.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Totally love it!!
RsPerez11 December 2003
My brother first introduced me to this show in 1996 when I was 13 and I have been a hardcore fan ever since!!

From the first episode I watched, I was hooked. I dont think I can praise Michael and Glynis enough for their performances in the show. And Ray and Tony played their parts well too. Even though the show was supposed to be serious - I found the humour and one liners from James and Harri very funny and memorable. Its part of what made the show likable.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Glynis this year and she is really nice and polite, and I am thankful that she agreed to let me meet her as she could have easily had said no. (So thank you Glynis!!)

I could sit and watch this show all day, and I hope that Granada Plus will continue to replay it very soon, as there are still a few episodes that I havent seen.

If there are any hardcore fans out there that read this please get in touch by leaving a message on the message board!!

Ciao
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best 80's show
tracyp112110 September 2001
I used to love this show as a kid and recently I've been re-watching some of it and I still think it's as good as I used to.

Micheal Brandon and Glynis Barber are great as James Dempsey and Harry Makepeace. The chemistry is amazing and because it was real all the more interesting to watch.

It's a shame that they only made 3 seasons - although its great to re-watch them all again.

My only complaint is that they never got together romatically and I think that they should have.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
one of the best series
dusand25 August 2005
I watched Dempsey & Makepeace when I was small (10-12 years, I don't remember) and I loved this series. Few days ago, I've noticed they are repeating it on our TV station and I was very happy to see it again. I like it even more than before. I love this series. It is gorgeous.

The plot of every episode is quite exciting and interesting. It is always something new and original. I have never be bored during watching this series. I think it's quite realistic. They don't shoot so much and if so, watching them is so exciting. I love Dempsey and Makepeace's sense of humor. It should be serious but when they say something funny, it is great and I am laughing like I would watch a comedy :) The actors are marvelous. They are playing in such a beautiful style. I love their cars! 1980's Fords are so cool! Especially Makepeace' Escort 1.6i cabriolet. Really nice cars. In Slovakia (my country), our actors have done one of the best Slovak dubbing for Dempsey & Makepeace, ever! I would love to hear the original D&M voices, too.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Two very different detectives make a great team
Maddyclassicfilms10 May 2014
Dempsey and Makepeace was created by Tony Wharmby, the series ran between 1985 and 1986 and it stars Michael Brandon, Glynis Barber and Ray Smith.

Tough American cop Lt. James Dempsey(Michael Brandon)is transferred to the UK to work after he kills his partner who was involved in Police corruption. Dempsey is paired with by the book upper class Detective Sergeant Harriet 'Harry' Makepeace(Glynis Barber). The pair work in a unit under the command of Chief Superintendent Spikings(Ray Smith).

From the start the pair are as different as chalk and cheese but over time(as is usually the way in similar series like this)they come to respect and like each other and work well together. The buddy cop formula at the time usually revolved around two male characters, Dempsey and Makepeace changed all that.

Also long before Mulder and Scully arrived on the scene Dempsey and Makepeace not only managed to work together as friends and colleagues but had a sexual tension between them that was very powerful, no doubt helped by the fact that Michael and Glynis fell in love making this and were married in 1989, they are still together today.

This series brings nothing new to the buddy cop formula but is very enjoyable non the less. It has some great stories and superb performances from the leads. If you like The Professionals, The X Files or Starsky and Hutch then this is one to watch.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic Formula with High Calibre Chemistry
MRavenwood15 August 2010
This little 80's-era cop series was elevated by the performance and (obvious) skillful additional writing done by the cast. It was one of the earlier U.K. imports to be played on commercial TV for U.S. audiences (as opposed to public TV like PBS). Those that saw it loved the over-the-top action and smooth, seductive style of Michael Brandon's no-nonsense Brooklyn cop, Dempsey. His counterpart, Makepeace, is the Sloaney skirt who is annoyed by the brash New Yorker's style, but can't quite seem to hate him because he's not only witty, but has good police skills. The chemistry between the Bensonhurst Badboy and the Upper Crusty Lady Makepeace heats up as the seasons progress. The other critical ingredient to the success of this project was (Ray Smith) Gordon Spikings character who is consistently yelling and dropping the hammer on one person or another, as the commander of the unit. Lots of gunplay, explosions, and stunts. Character-wise, it has a flavor not wholly unlike Scarecrow and Mrs. King, which is of a similar vintage. Ironically, the Brits espouse an anti-gun sensibility and create a cop character that fires his .357 revolver at absolutely EVERYTHING - even if he doesn't have a clean shot. As of 2010, there is no region 1 (USA) DVD commercially available from the series. An unfortunate oversight on the part of the owners, since even a small fan base here in the U.S. is as big as a large fan base in another country. They are overlooking the opportunity to re-purpose this content.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sit back and enjoy the ride.
siverline12 May 2009
Dempsey & Makepeace.

This series can be considered to be the original Remington Steele. Dempsey & Makepeace had great chemistry, Makepeace with the brains and Dempsey with the mouth. If you are not too much into serious police procedures and details, you will enjoy this show. Most of the shooting (both with camera and guns) takes place on location in London city.

Glynis Barber, as Sgt. Harry Makepeace, was extremely beautiful, always smartly dressed and from an aristocratic background while Michael Brandon, as Lt. James Dempsey, was handsome and witty with his accent and the love for his weapon, sent over from NYPD on an exchange.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well...Actually...
Buck Aroo6 August 2003
...This series wasn't so bad. I used to hate it, when shown during the mid '80s. But seeing it again on one of the UK satellite channels at the moment, I realise how good they were. Almost comparable to The Professionals, in style and content, as that show also had two leads ((both male) who antagonised one another. I especially like Dempsey's sexist bit of banter towards Makepeace. Spikings makes for a good Cowley too.

I remember one episode title (Makepeace, Not War) very clearly.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this