IMDb > "A.D." (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"A.D." More at IMDbPro »

Highly recommended!

Author: Barry-73 from Mullica Township, New Jersey, USA
26 January 2003

This mini-series starts where "Jesus of Nazareth" leaves off, with sightings of Jesus after his resurrection. I believe it to be just as good as "Jesus of Nazareth" also. It was made by some of the same personnel, although the actors are different. The locations, costumes and sets are just as good. The big difference here is, there are a lot of fictional sub-plots in this mini-series, but they only enhance the overall experience. They bring together all the true stories in it that are taken from the Bible and from other historians of the period. I know of only one movie that tells this story, and this mini-series does a better job, partly because of its length. I recommend the 9-hour unabridged version rather than the 6-hour version. If you want to know the story of the early church, starting from the very beginning after Christ rose from the dead, this is for you. Highly recommended for any Christian or just anyone into ancient Christian history. I give it 9 *'s out of 10.

I want the DVD!

Author: fairtrade from Austria
3 April 2007

I saw this mini series about the young Christianity in Rome, when I was a girl and never quite forgot about it. It reminded me in some ways of "The Robe" which is in that case a very high compliment. I also was madly in love with both Caleb and Julius Valerius Licinius, and so was my sister, btw. See? I even remember the names. I was looking up and down the net and didn't find any trace of it on DVD. I would so like to rewatch it again and see, if it still has the same magic and exceptional storytelling I remember it had. Whoever is in possession of the rights for this: If it was out on DVD I'd buy it instantly. *hint, hint*

Anno Domini

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
2 April 2012

The producers of AD certainly found the right format for their product, a mini-series. This was definitely too large a subject to be confined to one film either on the big or small screen.

Try mixing the events of I Claudius, Peter And Paul, and then Quo Vadis at the end you have the 6 hour AD. It's certainly a daunting project to tackle.

British players Dennis Quilley and Philip Sayer play the two main protagonists of the story Peter and Paul. Around them primarily the early Christian Church was established. As the action takes place over a 30 year period, both men due to some good makeup work age gracefully over the series. Both also give good performances though I would rate what Anthony Hopkins and Robert Foxworth did in Peter And Paul better.

In fact as good as AD is all of the people portrayed here were done better elsewhere. Go down the list of the cast and you'll see all the familiar Roman names from that soap opera on the Tiber and as a for instance James Mason as Tiberius, Ian McShane as Sejanus, and Richard Kiley as Claudius pale in comparison to George Baker, Patrick Stewart, and Derek Jacobi in those same roles. In fairness the players on the screen here didn't have sufficient screen time to develop their characters.

What is shown here that is true is the rather downbeat ending that actual history gives us as the reign of Nero is in full flower. One would not have given the month's rent money on a bet that the Christian Church would have survived. You see it going underground, basically hunkering down for its very existence. Not exactly a Quo Vadis ending.

AD is still a nice piece of film making despite my criticisms of it. If it doesn't say it's message as well as could be expected, it's certainly well enough to earn plaudits.

Cut or Uncut - a Fine Follow up to Jesus of Nazareth

Author: aportwentworthcitizen from United States
3 May 2010

I have both the 6 hour cut version of this remarkable masterpiece and the 10 hour uncut version. The Shorter version designed , perhaps for all ages, and well to be shown in a child's Sunday school class. the 10 hour, longer uncut version, containing more of a balance of the Bible / Roman Imperial History aspect of the early decades of the Christian church, and more intended to be viewed in a home environment. Either way, James Mason gave us a fine, EXCELLENT farewell performance as Tiberius, He who was emperor at the time of the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ and the successor, Caliguila, Claudius and Nero were also exquisitely and masterfully portrayed, Caligula, well.. No one will equal Malcolm McDowell on THAT one, But thats another discussion. A magnificent follow up series to Jesus of Nazareth, look at the right place on line, and you will find............or more aptly........SEEK and ye shall find.

One of the Best!!!

Author: journeyman8 from United States
15 December 2006

Recently I have been gathering any DVD's set in Ancient Rome and having seen so many recently I can truly say that this series is one of the best I have ever seen. Overall, I would only rank HBO's Rome higher. I saw A.D on television back when it first aired and it has stuck with me ever since. It is unique as it covers both the history of the Early Church and the Early Imperial period as well. The main problem with the abridged version available on DVD is that it cuts out the vast majority of the Early Imperial material and leaves only the material germane to the Early Church. Now even that is still worth seeking out as it has the greatest depictions of Peter, Paul and Stephen ever on film. It has only one of two appearances of the character Simon Magus ever on film (that I am aware of, the Silver Chalice being the other) and it is quite faithful theologically to the New Testament. But it is only half of the story! And that is a shame because there are so few films that deal as seriously with the Early Imperial period as this film does. I truly hope that whoever owns the right to this will see the light and release the full epic on DVD. Until then I am contemplating acquiring the VHS set and attempting to transfer it over to DVD myself. Yes it is THAT good!

Watched this movie on TV when it came originally came on

Author: (pashn4poetry@msn.com) from United States
19 October 2006

I loved this television mini series; there has been none like it since. I found the acting to be very good and realistic. It has been so long since I watched it I do not remember specific details but what I do remember is how well it impressed me as far as historical/biblical accuracy is concerned. And how well I remember the scenes where Nero (?) placed Christian families in the coliseum's with the lions. I would truly love to watch this movie again and have the opportunity to share it with my own children so they could see what took place during the time of the early church. I have wanted to purchase this movie on VHS, DVD whatever but have not been able to find it ANYWHERE. Does anyone know where this can be purchased?

best movie

Author: Gerard Bruno from California, USA
7 September 2006

A. D. is an excellent movie for all ages except perhaps for the very young in as much as there is some very anxious moments in the area where Christian children are killed. The casting is great! I have seen this movie many times and I cannot tire of it. My copy of it runs for about 12 hours and it is in three parts. All of the emperors are played well and exemplify what was really done in those times. From the beginning where Jesus walks with two of his disciples and all the way down to the very end, you are shown what it was like to be Christian in ancient Rome and what Roman laws and activities including cruelty,was like over four Roman emperors. The music is wonderfully matched to the story. This movie should be placed onto a DVD and with full screen rendition.

Great historical learning tool

Author: Teresa (chiesa50) from Patchogue, NY
14 April 2002

While nine hours isn't nearly enough time to learn about the beginnings of Christianity, the fall of the Roman empire and the average life and times of a Roman enlisted man. It wets you appetite to learn more. I highly recommend this film to anyone interested in history. While some if it is hollywoodized the majority of it is true. So if you have time to spare see this movie and you won't be disappointed.

Excellent Family Viewing

Author: linda.robinson from Thunder Bay, Ontario
14 March 2000

A.D. is a well acted and sincerely told story of the early beginnings of Christianity. Using the Roman quest for power and its corrupting influence as a contrast to the humble beginnings of early Christians, the series is able to capture the spirit of the Act of the Apostles. While the Jewish segments are superior to the Roman ones, A. D. is still able to bring these historical events to life. Well acted and presented, this is a mini-series well worth watching for families who are interested in Christianity's early beginnings.

Great tool for historical and Biblical students

Author: petessheep from Florida
14 February 2000

This miniseries is fantastic. From the point of view of the history of the Roman Empire and its occupation of the Holy Land, it lifts otherwise dry historical figures off the pages of history books. I got a truer picture of who Claudius, Caligula, and Nero were. From a Biblical point of view, it focuses on the early years of the church from after the Ascension. The primary focus of the Biblical parts is on the spreading of the Gospel of Jesus Christ by Peter and Paul. While not as in depth as the "Gospel of Matthew" or the "Acts" series currently available, it gives you a fairly decent portrayal of the early years when the word of God was getting around the Roman world. While some of the major events in the book of Acts are acted out, some of my favorites are omitted. I wouldn't recommend A.D. for someone interested in an in depth study but it definitely helps someone who is new to the New Testament get their feet wet.