IMDb > Unfaithfully Yours (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Unfaithfully Yours

Unfaithfully Yours More at IMDbPro »

Very funny with fantastic music.

Author: avanti (avantij@hotmail.com) from Bendigo, Australia
21 November 2000

This film is hilarious and what I consider to be the best film starring Dudley Moore. A man is convinced by scarce circumstantial evidence that his wife is unfaithful. Although still very much in love with his wife, he is "told" by an Italian employee that he must kill her. So begins a spiral where Claude (Moore) plans the murder of his wife. However, when he tries to put the plan into action, things go wrong.

The music in this movie is fantastic. The movie also contains the funniest scene I have witnessed in any movie which I can only describe as the "violin war". It is brilliant.

The actors and actresses chosen in the film fit their characters perfectly. The events in the film are easy to believe and thus make the plot more enjoyable. It also quietly sends a message to the audience... Don't be quick to condemn, your probably wrong.

This film is a mix between comedy and drama that is enjoyable. Watch this film, I think you'll love it.

Scattered laughs.

Author: gridoon
21 August 1999

I haven't seen the Preston Sturges original, but I know the hero there conceived THREE alternative murderous plans. The fact that this (unfaithful) remake contains only one certainly doesn't suggest that the filmmakers were full of ideas. It's still a generally agreeable (if uneven) comedy, but the laughs, even for Moore fans, are scattered.

The cheating wife

Author: jotix100 from New York
20 November 2005

Preston Sturges, that genius of the American cinema, made a statement when he wrote and directed the 1948 film, which in comparison with this 1984 attempt seems to be brilliant. Not only was the film great, it had a wonderful cast of accomplished comedians with Rex Harrison, Linda Darnell, and Rudy Vallee in the main roles.

Howard Zieff's version suffers in contrast in that is not as effective and even handed as the original one. Where Preston Sturges went for subtlety and sophistication, Mr. Zieff goes for a more splashy comedy, that at times seems forced.

Basically, the film doesn't improve on its model. Dudley Moore goes overboard with his take on Claude Eastman, the conductor. Natassja Kinski is terribly miscast as the Italian actress Daniella, who is married to Eastman. Armand Assante does what he can.

The film, photographed in Manhattan, takes us to places that are not around any more, like it's the case with the Russian Tea Room, where a few scenes were shot.

Find the original for a more satisfactory view.

Predictably Funny

Author: Dale Haufrect, M.D., M.A. (dhaufrect@yahoo.com) from Houston, Texas
15 December 2002

Although this film is predictably funny, it maintains a sense of light comedy that justifies its viewing. Dudley Moore is his uniform self in his role as a conductor husband filled with jealousy. Natassja Kinski is his beautiful wife. Both are entertaining and charming in this cinema that is worth the evening of fun.

Unfaithfully Yours

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
31 May 1999

Moore shines bright in this reworking of the 1948 Preston Sturges black comedy about a jealous symphony conductor who tries to fulfill a fantasy of murdering his sexy wife, (Kinski) whom he suspects is having an affair with another man. (Assante) It doesn't have the timing of the original, but it's a laugh riot for fans of Moore's bumbling hijinks, which as always is a torrent of laughter.

Unfaithful All Right-Unfaithfully Yours **

Author: edwagreen from United States
26 September 2011

Unfaithful is an appropriate word here. The movie with its writing is totally unfaithful to the movie industry. This is an inane film with the late Dudley Moore proving once again how foolish he could act.

Of course, the film blames it on a person who couldn't speak English and who misinterpreted something leading Moore to believe that wife Natassja Kinski has been carrying on with violinist Armand Assante. The only good things about the movies are the long hairs of Armand and Dudley and the music interludes with Dudley great as being an orchestra leader.

The film goes downhill as Moore fantasizes the perfect murder plot only to see the plot go entirely awry. Ditto for the writing and everything else here.

Dudley Moore at his best!

Author: Predrag (pzivojinovic@yahoo.com) from Serbia
13 June 2016

Dudley made the film so much more funny. By seeing both versions you can why Dudley was a comic genius. I miss him. Dudley makes clear what screwballs we humans are. And he takes ordinary script lines and makes them very funny. Many of the elements of a Shakespearean comedy are in this film, but unlike the plays, this film has a terrific music score, has beautiful photography, and has simple dialogue. What makes this film great, for those mature enough to understand it, is Dudley Moore. Nothing goes as planned and each instance is usually good for a few laughs.

Howard Zieff is not exactly what I would call a great director, he was the man behind "The Main Event" and the "My Girl" films, but, he strings things together nicely here. The script is not completely a dud. Barry Levinson had a hand in the remake, so expects some funny bits. One of my favorite scenes is at the restaurant when Moore "thinks" Armand Assante is confronting him about having an affair with his wife, and the start a dueling violin contest of Tchaikovsky. Mr. Moore shows us his gift as a true comedian with shades of slapstick mixed in. Richard Libertini steals the film as Moore's Italian butler and the laughs are countless. The New York City scenery also is a plus with lots of midtown Manhattan brilliantly showcased (made me nostalgic).

Overall rating: 8 out of 10.

Effective Farce.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
23 January 2014

Not bad for a remake. The central character is altered to suit Dudley Moore instead of Rex Harrison. Harrison was more suave. This script has Moore doing a variation of his stone roles in "Ten" and "Arthur." He gets bombed on tranquilizers during the climactic act-out and stumbles into walls and broom closets, detracting a bit from whatever sophistication the original had but making this version no less amusing.

The plot. Dudley Moore is a celebrated orchestra conductor. A series of mistakes leads him to conclude that his wife, Nastasja Kinski, is having an affair with a man who wears argyle socks. There is a furious search for argyle socks, with Moore ducking under the tables of fancy restaurants to check the socks worn by his companions. It's an old scene, this ducking under restaurant tables, but Moore pulls it off as well as anyone could. The only argyle socks he can find are those worn by his friend, the violinist Armand Assante.

Moore concocts a scheme to kill his wife and frame the violinist for the murder. The scheme isn't so much improbable as it is impossible, but it's funny enough in fantasy. When Moore tries to pull it off, everything goes wrong, of course, and the movie more or less collapses into frenzy.

Moore is good at these kinds of roles. God knows he's had enough practice. And he's a likable chap. It's difficult to envision him in an action movie -- "My Knife Is Quick", or something. Armand Assante is fine in a comedy. The first impression he makes is one of beefy, self-confident masculinity, but he's quite good in comic roles and is capable of self ridicule in a way that, say, Sylvester Stallone is not. Of Nastassja Kinski, what is there to say? She's sinewy, stunningly beautiful, more animated than usual, and edible.

Not a masterpiece but enjoyable.

a delicious light comedy

Author: Carl S Lau from Los Angeles, California
17 August 2003

This is a comedy of errors in which the viewer knows almost everything while the on screen actors are in a perpetual state of confusion. Dudley Moore has the enviable task of playing a famous middle aged music conductor who is married to a young, ravishing Italian starlet played by Nastassja Kinski. And she is passionately in love with him. For the times, this would have been the ultimate middle aged, male fantasy. Via a misunderstanding, Dudley Moore ends up in a comedy of errors scheming to kill off the delicious Nastassja Kinski who easily fits into her innocent role. Lots of fun to watch, especially with Nastassja as the eye candy.

Not funny at all

Author: robertjmr72 from United States
21 February 2012

I haven't watched this movie all the way through since I saw it at the theater when it was new and I was totally blown away by just how *not* funny the movie is. I have tried over the years to watch this movie again and maybe get a new perspective of it but I can't watch more than 5-10 minutes of it on television before I have to flip the channel. The basic premise of the movie is the same as every episode of "Three's Company" where one misinterpreted situation leads to an unintended chain of events that are supposed to be humorous but mostly they are not. In this movie, a newly married man goes to great lengths to plot and carry out murdering his much younger wife and framing her (supposed) lover who also happens to be his best friend which I don't find humorous instead I find it rather disturbing. It should have been a horror film, the premise would have worked better in that format. In the end we are supposed to feel sorry for this guy and understand why someone could easily make the same mistake he did....WTF? Yet even with a terrible story, if you like watching Dudley Moore act drunk or high and falling/stumbling all over almost every scene then you might like this movie...