Starman (1984) Poster

A wonderful film full of hope for the human race.
mattt823 December 1998
Through the eyes of an alien, we view our world. Such is the beauty of John Carpenter's 'Starman'. His gentle alien comes in the form of a human clone (Jeff Bridges), and as we watch him interact with the rest of our race, we see both the good and the bad in all of us. It is this particular role that I find to be Jeff Bridge's most superb acting (or close to it, given his amazing work in 'The Fisher King'). To me he always did seem an alien in an unfamiliar human body, rather than the actor "Jeff Bridges". While there is certainly some over-simplification in the movie, and it can get a little sappy, I find the 'sap' in this case to be both touching and beautiful. How wonderful, how sad, how miraculous, to watch ourselves through the innocent and wise eyes of this alien being. A brilliant look at human beings, a sweet love story, and an excellent exploration of our spirit.
82 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You may be shocked to read that this is one of the best science fiction movies ever made
dee.reid16 November 2008
John Carpenter directed "Starman" in 1984, hot off the mega-success of the landmark horror movie "Halloween" in 1978 and the cult science fiction/adventure flick "Escape from New York" in 1981. "Starman" was a significant departure and change-of-pace from all of Carpenter's earlier works.

While essentially a science fiction story involving all the essentials - aliens, the United States Army, government cover-ups, a countrywide chase adventure and what's this, an intergalactic love story? - Carpenter is able to make sense of the material in such a way that it is both respectful to the sci-fi genre, the sci-fi fans, and to the audience members who may not give a crap about this sort of stuff and only want their corn popped.

The biggest surprise about "Starman" is the script by Bruce A. Evans and Raynold Gideon. They're able to strip a laughable story of all that makes it laughable and create something new, something that is intelligent, heart-warming, action-packed, and romantic. Carpenter takes his cues from the material and makes everything in this wondrous sci-fi/action piece his own. And who can forget that awesome synthesizer score by Jack Nitzsche (strange since Carpenter usually composes his own film scores)?

Evans and Gideon's script, taking its cues from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951) and "E.T. the Extraterrestrial" (1982), concerns an alien who has come to Earth after answering an invitation he found on the Voyager II space probe. However, his ship is attacked by fighter jets and he manages to make it to the Wisconsin cabin of young widow Jenny Hayden (Karen Allen), still grieving the death of her husband. After sampling DNA taken from a lock of hair of her late husband, the alien grows into a human clone of him, where he is now played by the actor Jeff Bridges.

After overcoming the obvious speech barrier when he learns to speak in English, Starman then requests that Jenny Hayden drive him from Wisconsin to Arizona, where he will meet the mother ship that will take him back to his home planet. Unfortunately, they only have a few days before he'll die from what we can only guess is exposure to our atmosphere. Matters are further complicated when the military becomes involved, desperate to catch Starman at all costs, much to the horror of laboratory rat Mark Shermin (Charles Martin Smith). Along the way, Jenny grows from being fearful of this visitor from another planet, to respecting him and finally loving him, while he gets to learn about human beings and BEING human.

It's not enough to say that both Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen are this film's magical centerpiece. They certainly make for one of the most dynamic, unusual and interesting screen couples in cinematic history, certainly one of the best screen couples in the history of science fiction cinema. The real stand-out of course is Bridges. This is a role that he rightfully received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor for. We see no trace of the actor "Jeff Bridges" in there, all we see is "Starman," defined largely by his awkward mannerisms and patterns of speech, and it is a skillful, humorous, and touching performance that is the pure anti-thesis to Carpenter's earlier "The Thing" (1982).

John Carpenter, unfortunately, has not received a whole lot of recognition for this picture. Although it remains his only film to go to the Oscars, I only hope that this touching, once-in-a-lifetime science fiction/adventure-romance gets the recognition it so rightfully deserves.

44 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Define Love"
Chazzzzz30 October 1999
This beautiful and funny science fiction film comes very close to being my all-time favorite movie. This film is about love. An alien lands on Earth to investigate the life-forms, and encounters Karen Allen. A cross-country chase ensues as our alien has to meet up with his starship in Arizona.

But for me, the main point of this film is not the chase, the cloning by the alien, the humor throughout the film, or the eventual outcome which led into the subsequent TV series. The focal point comes in the diner where our alien asks Karen Allen to "Define Love." If everyone would take this definition to heart, this world would be a much better place!

This is what movie making should strive to achieve. This film has virtually everything... romance, humor, action, suspense, a gorgeous soundtrack, beautiful cinematography, an intelligent screenplay with a most important message, and talented actors and actresses. I gave it a SOLID 10!
70 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Allegory
roneal9 August 2004
Reading all the comments on this film, I had to add my own. Unusual thing about the comments is that none were heavily negative. Good film in my opinion too. But only one viewer comment mentioned something that jumped out as I watched, and that is the heavy, but very heavy religious overtones in the film. A creature from the heavens comes to earth, assumes human form, has nothing but good intentions toward those who would capture him, has the power of life and death in his hands (the resurrection of the deer and Karen Allen), has to ascend to the heavens in 3 days, gives a boy baby to Jenny (who can't have a child) in a cattle car (manger) who will "be a teacher and know all that I know". They even point out a star in the heavens that is the home of Starman. The allegory is strong and delightful to watch. Of course the ending is a perfect set-up for a sequel when Starman leaves the one remaining "power ball" in Jenny's hand saying that the boy would know what to do with it. With one exception, no movie I have ever seen with a Roman numeral after it was worth a bag of beans, and that was Godfather II. Starman does not need a sequel. You can write one, in your own mind, in your own way.

And then there is Dutch apple pie...........
44 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
When you wish upon a Starman
Oliver-5031 December 2004
Jeff Bridges is one of my favorite actors and it's a shame that he has not yet won an Oscar. He has been acting for thirty-five years and only been nominated four times. Starman (1984) gave him his third nomination and while he had tough competition that year, F. Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce in Amadeus, his performance is brilliant and every bit as good. The way that Bridges takes the character and the little glitches in his movement and speech are fascinating. It is a complete transformation and it's flawless. I was reminded of how Dustin Hoffman played his character in Rain Man with all his little stutters and twitching, but Hoffman studied the disease and had something to work with. Bridges pulls this performance off from scratch and hits a bullseye. Karen Allen and Charles Martin Smith are both good as well and the score is wonderful. The story may be a bit derivative and there are some story lulls, but who cares. This is a must-see movie simply for Bridges performance.

*** out of ****
60 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sadness, joy, loss, love...brilliance
andrew.harrison15 August 2003
The achingly gorgeous Karen Allen and the sublime Jeff Bridges star in this story of love and innocence.

A magical movie, with a poignant, otherworldly score sees John Carpenter direct a movie outside his usual genre. Well, all the planets came into alignment for this one, as it is a heart warming emotionally involving ride from start to finish.

This would be one of my 10 "Desert Island" movies.
50 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
E.T. for adults
Clive-Silas5 June 2003
I'm amazed more people didn't point out the similarities in plot to E.T. when this adult version of basically the same tale came out. Maybe it was because Jeff Bridges performance is absolutely mesmerising, that you're much more interested in the characters than the plot, so you don't notice.

Basically, a perfect little movie. Beautifully and simply set up, the characters develop naturally in such a way that keeps you hooked right through to the end of the film. The strength of the central relationship distracts you from little infelicities, such as the fact that "Jennyhayden" seems remarkably incurious about her alien visitor - even after she gets to know him, it's not until he's about to leave that she asks him what his world is like! The film nicely points out the irony of our having extended welcoming greetings to the Universe, while our own mutual distrust causes us to shoot down every unexpected flying visitor. Having established that, however, Richard Jaekel's character seems to be pursuing the violent solution for its own sake without really exploring any motivation. When Charles Martin Smith points out that our behaviour does appear a little rude, Jaekel doesn't even have an answer for him - he's just going to try to kill the alien because that's his role in the movie I guess!

"Do you know what I find most beautiful about you? You are at your best when things are at their worst."

Well, it has been 19 years - I guess that the "boy baby" has grown up. Time for the sequel, methinks!!
52 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Company!
noelduddy6 June 2003
Hey what a beautiful movie! Even as an alien, Jeff Bridges was brilliant. Karen Allen, as usual, gave her all and lit up the screen. The chemistry between the two was a delight.

This is not your typical over the top FX SciFi. It is an action drama with an underlying love story that would interest, even those who don't like this genre. But then I suppose if John Carpenter were to make a movie about the number 2758.369, it would be a interesting!

What more can I say - Great stuff!
45 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
little bit great film
simonrosenbaum3 August 2003
A great little film, much better than I was expecting. Jeff Bridges gives one of his best and strangest performances as the "Starman" with robotic like movements and very funny mimicking of human behaviour. Karenallen is wide eyed and feisty. Only sour point is the over saccharine score by Jack Nitzsche, it hasn't aged well and is now a little painful to listen to. Otherwise this is a wonderful and charming film. (8/10)
37 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bridges Brings "Starman" To Life
jhclues12 September 2000
In a joint venture by the governments of the world, a space probe is launched into the farthest reaches of the Galaxy bearing a message from the United Nations, as well as `Greetings' in fifty-four languages; it's purpose is to attempt to contact any extraterrestrial life and proffer an invitation to visit us here on Earth. In `Starman,' directed by John Carpenter, Jeff Bridges stars as the alien who responds, only to be met with a less than cordial greeting once he arrives. Encountering hosts with a militaristic, if-you-can't-identify-it-shoot-it-down attitude, Starman is forced to take refuge and elude the very ones he has traveled so far to see. The burning question of course is, why? And, unfortunately, nobody seems to know. For his striking portrayal of Starman, Bridges deservedly received a Best Actor nomination from the Academy, and it proves to be the highlight of the film. From the outset, even as he is transformed into the vessel he must occupy during his stay with us ( a terrific sequence), his presence on the screen is captivating. He truly creates a unique character, distinct in form and substance, from the physical gestures that define him, to the subtle emotional depth he so aptly demonstrates and uses so well to convey to us who this being really is. It is through him that we are drawn in to this story of the travails with which he is beset during his sojourn upon our world, and with him we can only try to understand the motivation of powerful men who seem to live their lives in fear of the unknown or diverse. As Jenny Hayden, the young woman who through circumstances beyond her control becomes involved with Starman, Karen Allen adds just the right touch of sympathy to underscore the emotional situation in which Jenny finds herself ensconced. And there's just enough chemistry between her and Bridges to make this special relationship between their characters work effectively. Ultimately, how they relate to one another, and the tenderness with which they pursue their objective, becomes the real thrust and focal point of the story. Carpenter, in fact, would have been well advised to have stayed more within the parameters of that relationship and explored the workings thereof, rather than divesting the story into other, less fruitful areas and surrounding the main characters with a plethora of stringent stereotypes. While an entertaining film, `Starman' is surprisingly lacking in originality and imagination, both in story and direction; not to say this isn't a worthwhile endeavor, because it is, and it's definitely worth seeing. But it just seems that Carpenter could have mined the emotional depths a little more, developed the connection between Starman and Jenny more fully. Had he taken that path, this could have been a truly exceptional movie. As it is, it's a good film, better than the average sci-fi offering (especially for it's time, 1984), but given that Bridges brought so much to this with his creation of such a memorable character, the movie as a whole could have been so much more. The supporting cast includes Charles Martin Smith (Mark), Richard Jaeckel (Fox), Robert Phalen (Major Bell), Dirk Blocker (Cop #1) and M.C. Gainey (Cop #2). Although it is not what you would call a `great' or `classic' movie, `Starman' does succeed in making us take pause to reconsider some of our possibly preconceived notions of the way things are or should be; in the end, it's a call for understanding and love between all people everywhere, and a proposition put forth for universal peace. And with a theme like that, combined with the terrific performance by Bridges, you could do a lot worse for an evenings entertainment. I rate this one 7/10.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Welcome to Earth
Claudio Carvalho20 January 2014
In 1977, the Voyager 2 travels to the outer space with messages of peace and greetings from Earth. A small alien spacecraft comes to Earth to make contact with Earthlings but the military airplanes shoot it down. The spacecraft crashes in Chequamegon Bay, Wisconsin and the alien wanders in a form of energy to the house of the young widow Jenny Hayden (Karen Allen), where he uses the DNA from a hair of her husband Scott (Jeff Bridges) to take his human form. The Starman contacts his mother ship and he needs to be in a crater Arizona in a couple of days to return to his star; otherwise he will be left behind and will die.

The Starman forces Jenny to take him to Arizona and she is hostile with him in the beginning. However, she learns that he is a peaceful being and she chooses to help him. But the army is chasing them and the despicable NSA chief George Fox (Richard Jaeckel) wants to hunt him down while the SETI scientist Mark Shermin (Charles Martin Smith) wants to help The Starman since he is sure that he has come to visit Earth peacefully.

"Starman" is still a wonderful sci-fi after thirty years. Nominated to the Oscar and to the Golden Globe, Jeff Bridges has magnificent performance and chemistry with Karen Allen. John Carpenter succeeds once again and makes a movie with a beautiful story, with drama, romance, action and humor. I saw this movie many times in the past on VHS but today I saw it on Blu-Ray. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Starman - O Homem das Estrelas" ("Starman – The Man from the Stars")
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jeff Bridges was never this good!
Truman_Burbank27 February 2001
I have always admired Jeff Bridges, but it wasn't until now that I realized he made movies when he was younger. So I was surprised to see him in this role as an alien who does not understand anything of what's happening here on earth. I can now understand why he became such a star. His performance is really good, maybe one of the best things Bridges ever did in his career! But the movie is good on all levels. A strong story, that succeeds in avoiding all the predictable jokes about a stranger getting to know the customs of a new environment (like e.g. Crocodile Dundee, or Blast from the Past), good actors, strong directing and great special effects (Bridges' transformation from a baby to an adult!) that never predominate the rest of the story. It's hard to believe this movie is already 18 years old! Like many of these '80-movies, it has this timeless quality that makes a movie worth watching even twenty years later (just like Out of Africa, The Natural, Tootsie, E.T., Blade Runner,...). If you're looking for a sweet and strong movie that gets into your heart, watch this!
24 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The earlier you saw it, the more fondly you probably remember it...
Howlin Wolf20 April 2006
... because over 20 years later, it doesn't seem to have held up all that well, dating markedly. Back in '84, I guess E.T. fever was still running high and a similarly told tale that was nothing more than competent was enough to rekindle the memories. Watching it in 2006 for the first time as I did today, I personally expected a lot more from a Carpenter favourite.

As mentioned, he does well enough in the directors chair, but the script doesn't have his name on it, and it shows. Our Starman seems to have powers that are written as flexible according to what's happening with the plot at the time, which is hardly awe-inspiring if you've got the scope to craft an otherworldly being. He can learn to drive a car just by watching us, and yet he can NEVER get around to becoming a decent mimic of our speech patterns??? (Studio: "talking funny is endearing to the audience, keep it in!!!!!") Bridges does what the role asks of him (and got an Oscar nomination for it) but any admirer who's seen a representative sample of his work knows that behaving quizzically with a halting voice and beguiling charm is not exactly testing for him, he is capable of so much more. Karen Allen is a wonderfully pretty and talented actress but she didn't manage to 'sell' me the burgeoning romance between her and her co-star, here. So far as I could surmise, the character is seduced by an alien because he LOOKS the same as her dead hubby... So, 'personality' isn't important, then?? The entire romance is like trite manipulation, and it's even worse when the script attempts to describe love, because the sentiment is pretty accurate, but the practical demonstration of chemistry before our eyes isn't.

Moving away from the main characters, all that's left is the big bad military bogeymen of the Cold-War era getting involved. Yeah yeah, it was a recurring theme throughout the 80's, it's nothing fresh. In fact, I can't think of a single scene that felt specific to this one particular film I was watching, it all felt somewhat stale; so either it's been ripped off too much in the intervening years by its multitude of descendants, or else it wasn't all that 'inventive' in the first place. If you saw it when you were a kid, it also might be a personal favourite, but I don't think it's made the transition well into an adult sphere. If you're in the mood for some Close-style Encounters and you've overdosed on watching the Extra-Terrestrial, you might find this adequate to stoke your obsession as a stopgap; just don't expect a cosmic experience or you'll come crashing down to earth, because this really is a touch mundane.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Whole Movie was a Dream she had
jack_schaaf2 July 2017
The whole movie was a dream she had. We see main character, a grieving widow, in opening scene, watching a home movie of her husband with music, "all You Have to Do is Dream." She then enters her bedroom. We see the craft entering the atmosphere and landing on earth. She "awakes" to find her husband "reborn" in her living room. The two then engage in a transcontinental odyssey to secure his safe passage to the Beyond, while she is reconciled with a symbol of their union in a baby. Sweet movie, well-crafted.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Atypical and very likable Carpenter offering
Red-Barracuda17 January 2017
Starman is certainly a bit of a departure for director John Carpenter. It seems that after the box-office disappointment of The Thing (1982) he decided that his next return to the alien film should be something less scary and more in line with the E.T. (1982) template. The result is a John Carpenter film that is decidedly more gentle natured than we had seen up to that point. After learning about humanity from the space probe Voyager 2 an alien crash lands on Earth and assumes the identity of a dead man. He enlists the reluctant help of the wife of this deceased individual in his mission to return home. Needless to say, the authorities pursue him, hell bent on preventing his departure.

This change of pace for Carpenter is another film which shows the care he gave to all his movies. The story is solid, if nothing especially great. But it's nicely shot and paced, with some engaging performances, especially from Karen Allen as the bemused woman taken along for the ride by the alien. Jeff Bridges puts in an original enough turn as the starman, although it is definitely quite surprising he was Oscar nominated for it. In essence this is a road movie with a romantic sub-plot that is based around a sci-fi premise. It's fairly successful in each of its sub-genres and is a very likable piece of work overall. And for what it's worth, I much preferred it to E.T.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Beautiful Alien Movie...
bheadher2 September 2016
The first time I saw this movie I was mesmerized in the first few minutes. Starman has a not so subtle message, that we are our own worst enemies...right from the start all the officials are trying to kill a visitor from the stars, except for one scientist who recognizes that the alien just might be here to learn about us.

Jenny Hayden lost her husband recently, and when the Starman's spaceship is shot down while entering Earths atmosphere. He crashes rather near Jenny's home in the woods, and Starman explores Jenny's home. He's an energy being, so the filming is from his perspective. It was very well done...

Anyway, Starman sees pictures of Jenny's husband, and "creates" a carbon copy of him. Jenny wakes up and the movie takes off from there...some will undoubtedly say the movie is rather slow, and indeed it is paced that way through much of their time together. What grabs onto you subtly is the awakening of a love that transcends the galaxy. The cinematography is excellent, the theme music outstanding, and the acting top notch...

Yes, it will move slowly, but that is the real beauty of a really well done movie, from when movies were made well...
"I send greetings."
utgard143 May 2015
An alien comes to Earth (Wisconsin, specifically) and takes the form of a widow's late husband. The "starman" enlists her help getting him to Arizona to rendezvous with an alien spacecraft. Along the way she begins to develop feelings for him. Meanwhile the government, aware that an alien has arrived on Earth, is anxious to find and capture it.

One of director John Carpenter's most mainstream efforts but that doesn't mean it's a bad one. It's a movie that obviously owes a lot to E.T. The basic formula of the two films is very similar. Jeff Bridges is great in the lead role. He was nominated for an Oscar for this. The only time a Carpenter movie got an Oscar nod. Karen Allen is also quite good. She and Bridges have a nice chemistry together. The often underrated Charles Martin Smith is another plus. It's an enjoyable film but probably more so for your average moviegoer than critical sci-fi buffs. I like it a lot and don't feel like it gets enough love from other Carpenter fans. Maybe it's lacking many of those Carpenter touches we love but it's still a good movie. This later inspired a short-lived TV series but the less said about that, the better.
Loving the Alien.
Spikeopath18 April 2015
Mixed notices then and now for John Carpenter's sci-fi love story - cum human warning parable, but the fact is is that if it touches you it's a touch that stays for ever. It's a lovely film headed up by Jeff Bridges' wonderful turn as the alien from outer space teaming up with Karen Allen for a road trip to a Nevada crater, where he will be picked up by his own species and taken home.

Taking on human form, that of Allen's deceased husband, much of the humour is derived from how the alien tries to adapt to a human lifestyle. The language, food, customs and romance, but always there is a serious thread running through the narrative. He was invited here by the contents of Voyager One, but now the suits want him for less than honourable research, so the pair, coming together as one after she is obviously in a state of kidnap worry, have to stay one step ahead of the authorities.

So there's suspense in the mix via the chase dynamics, as well as some beautiful sequences, one of which has animal lovers of the world punch the air with unbridled joy. The premise is of course flimsy, and cribbing bits from ET and Close Encounters did the film no favours under critical analysis, but the emotional whack is mightily strong, with the lead characters being so easy to root for. While Jack Nitzsche's synth based musical score is a sci-fi great, perfect.

A vastly under valued picture on Carpenter's CV, Starman would like to come and see us, if only we would give it the time. 8.5/10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mixes romance and science fiction exceedingly well
Mr-Fusion25 March 2015
I don't know if it's cynical to describe "Starman" as "E.T." for grownups, adults, or what-have-you, but the comparison's certainly there. Which isn't to badmouth "E.T.", goodness knows I hold that movie in high regard. But "Starman" is definitely about healing, either literally with Jeff Bridges and his mystical marbles or helping Karen Allen to grieve her husband's death and start feeling again. Both actors are something to see here. Bridges transforms himself into an innocent, almost mechanized presence as Starman learns the cultures and barbarism of humans. Allen has the market cornered in hopelessly lost and numb. Just seeing here try to define love to an alien is heartbreaking. There is sadness inherent in this movie, but it's also deeply sentimental and will touch even the most hardened.

A fine movie indeed.

2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In its core, this is a film about compassion, kindness, and love
jdkraus9 November 2014
In 1977, the Voyager 2 was launched into space, in hopes of receiving contact with other life forms in the galaxy. The movie "Starman" puts this fact to use when an alien spacecraft obtains this communication, crash lands in the Midwestern lands of Missouri and assumes the identity of a widow's late husband. While their first encounters are that of discomfort, fear, and plain awkwardness, both alien and woman form a friendship and even a romance. The plot sounds almost exactly like E.T., with the replacement of adults and more mature themes. And it essentially is. But what makes this movie so good is not its originality, but rather its interaction with the two main characters.

Jeff Bridges as the alien, or rather Starman played the character in such a way that he is foreign like an alien and at the same time something to admire by his depiction of innocence, kindness, and above all his passion and care for living things. There are many great, touching scenes in this movie. One that particularly comes to mind is a moment where he revives a deer that had been slain by a hunter. He deliver such an action because he's a good natured being. Throughout the film, it becomes apparent that the interactions he shares with other humans are generally bad, displaying the darkness and thoughtlessness of the human spirit. In a way, Starman is someone who humans should be when we aren't.

Karen Allen as the widow Jenny Hayden delivered perhaps her most complicated role. While it can be easy for an actor to show a variety of emotions that the script may require, it is a challenge to authenticate a person who cannot move on from a lost loved one and carry the bleak and often defeatist personality. In Starman, she gives her finest performance. Though Bridges garnered a lot of credit for his portrayal as Starman, such as a Best Actor Oscar nomination, Allen is an equal caliber. As a viewer, I could feel empathy for her character and desired for her to find the love and compassion she desperately needed to move on with her life.

Despite some of its dated VFX and occasionally sappy/overly sentimental moments, "Starman" is a great film. It is one of the few science-fiction films that does not focus on monsters, robots, blood, explosions, and/or blatant special effects. It's core is in the hearts of the main characters. Jack Nitsche's score is an emotional moving force and John Carpenter's directing capabilities of engrossing viewers into his films is something to remember for the ages.
From there to here
Prismark103 November 2014
There is a story that director John Carpenter disliked the film ET and decided to make his own version.

Starman is a departure from a man mainly known for the horror genre. Carpenter who tends to write his own music for films left it to Jack Nitzsche although I assumed for years it was Carpenter's music with that stirring theme.

I was mesmerised by this film when I saw it 30 years ago and its lost nothing of its charm and power since then even though the film has of course aged.

The alien who arrives on Earth takes the form of Jeff Bridges the late husband of Karen Allen who still mourns him.

Allen is of course uneasy about this arrival and Bridges needs to get to Arizona in three days so he can be reunited with his spacecraft and get back home. In the meantime he learns by observation and get to communicate with others and more importantly, Allen.

Jeff Bridge's was rightly Oscar nominated for his role. He starts out as almost infant like as he arrives, learns to speak, move navigate with a sense of wide eyed wonderment.

The film is essentially a road/chase movie as the government and military are on the hunt for our alien with Allen wondering whether to abandon him. However the film tells us a lot about humans from the eyes of this visitor which also carries some slight religious symbolism. Starman gets Allen who could not conceive, pregnant for example.

For cinephiles this is an essential film of the 1980s. Its a 10 from me something that I do not award easily. The only disappointment for me is that John Carpenter could not use this movie as a springboard to become a great director.
A True Star Turn
Warren Marris24 May 2014
1984 was a good year for John Carpenter, and this film is evidence of that...

Its now 2014, and yet I can still sit and watch this highly enjoyable film.

Who needs billion dollar effects if you have a great story?

OK! By todays standards, the acting could b vastly improved as well as the effects and many goofs could b put right, but could anyone do the film justice the way that Carpenter did without having to add superfluous battles and explosions? I seriously doubt it!

Trust me! Get a hold of this film... Ignore the now dated effects and enjoy a truly great story!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great John Carpenter film!
Movie Nuttball20 May 2003
John Carpenter's Starman is a wonderful film!Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen are really good in this movie!The beginning is scary and the film is never boring and its very in interesting and yet sad and the same moment.It has great effects and a good ending!If you like alien films then check Starman today because it is a fantastic movie!
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jeff Bridges shines as "Starman"...
Neil Doyle7 February 2007
Another unpredictable film from John Carpenter with an Oscar-nominated performance by JEFF BRIDGES, at a time when his career was in high gear.

JEFF BRIDGES is an alien with the ability to transform himself into the exact duplicate of KAREN ALLEN's husband Scott who has died. He lands in her backyard in Wisconsin when his ship plunges to earth. Little communication between them, but he makes Allen drive him across the country in her '77 Mustang with a working knowledge of English consisting of a few phrases here and there. His mission is to reach Arizona within a few days to meet his starship or it leaves without him and he dies.

The fantasy aspect remains credible until about midpoint in the story when the alien exhibits some supernatural powers. Even a sci-fi romance of this kind shouldn't become too incredible. The romantic angle is restrained and nicely underplayed, especially by Bridges who gets his idea of kissing from watching a clip from FROM HERE TO ETERNITY.

The second half of the story deals more with the police on their tail trying to rescue Allen, who by now has fallen in love with her kidnapper and doesn't want them to harm him. It's also at this point that the story loses steam and interest in the denouement lessens instead of increases--obviously the opposite of what Carpenter intended--nor does the climactic scene with Bridges joining his space ship have the punch it should have had. (Maybe it needed John Williams for that added dimension!)

The film depends largely on JEFF BRIDGES' performance as the alien. He does it with strange gestures and head jerks but is always convincingly like an inhuman mannequin. Even his walk is stiff.

Favorite line from driver who gives Bridges a lift: "You're not from around here, are yah?"

Summing up: Offbeat and interesting, but could have had a deeper impact.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this