IMDb > Splash (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Splash

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
21 September 2005

From director Ron Howard (The Grinch, A Beautiful Mind) this has always been repeated and is still a much loved romantic fantasy comedy. The film begins with young Allen Bauer falling into the water as a child, and there for a few moments meeting a mermaid who rescued him. Years later, grown up, Allen (then unknown Tom Hanks in a rising star role) works in a fruit and vegetable shipping place in New York, along with his cheeky brother Freddie (a lovable John Candy). After a visit to Cape Cod Allen manages to have another sea accident, and is again saved by the same mermaid, also grown up (the beautiful Daryl Hannah). Later, she searches for Allen, sprouting legs (she has fins in the water), and after a little while they fall in love, and she learns to talk from television. She does not tell Allen her secret though, and eventually (after recognising her in the ocean, and again in the newspaper - when she was found naked at the Statue of Liberty) mermaid believer Walter Kornbluth (American Pie's Eugene Levy) is determined to prove that she is a mermaid by soaking her. When he proves it, she is put in a marine research laboratory, and Allen is shattered, but there is a happy ending when he and Walter (after a change of heart) whisk her back to the ocean, and Allen swims with her to her palace. A lovely story with a lovely couple, and great gags, particularly from Candy, and Hanks when he shouts "she left me" (because everyone keeps asking where his wife is) at a wedding. It was nominated the Oscar for Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen, and it was nominated the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical. Tom Hanks was number 3 on The 100 Greatest Movie Stars, and he was number 39 on The World's Greatest Actor. Very good!

I liked it, but something was off

Author: (ajdagreat) from USA
27 July 2002

John Candy is the guy to look for here. His performance is the second-best thing in the movie. The best thing, of course, is the really really really really really beautiful Daryl Hannah. God she's hot. I don't care what you say, internetdrone; Daryl Hannah is absolutely gorgeous.

I enjoyed this movie's clever situations and dialogue, and as I said, Candy and Hannah were great. Hanks was good too. I also liked Fat Jack and the idiots helping Eugene Levy. It was a decent movie, but something felt off. However, I can't explain what I mean by that without spoilers, so if you haven't seen it, know that I would still recommend this funny movie, and stop reading now.

*****SPOILER ALERT****** *****SPOILERS FROM HERE TILL THE END OF THE REVIEW********

First of all, how can they keep the mermaid under such inhumane conditions like that? Doesn't she have rights? As a half-human half-fish, she should at least have half the rights that humans do (ba-doom-chic). And what about Hanks? It is said that they monitored him naked in the tank for 12 hours! Isn't he an American? Doesn't he have rights? They can't do that to him.

Also, after they take Hannah for experimentation, Hanks is so cold to her. He's so stupid! Doesn't he realize how much fun he was having beforehand? Doesn't he realize how happy he'd be with Hannah? Doesn't he realize that, when Hannah's a mermaid, she's EVEN HOTTER??? I don't see why Hanks should let a little thing like being a different species get in the way of his love for her. Thank you, John Candy, for talking some sense into Hanks.

Finally, I didn't see Eugene Levy's character change. He goes from being this maniacal freak obsessed with proving Hannah's a mermaid to someone who actually has a heart. I didn't see what caused this 180-degree turn in his behavior. Yes, I know he felt sorry for Hannah, but WHY did he feel sorry for her? He never felt that way previously.

Ah, well, the movie doesn't try to answer such questions. It's just a light romantic comedy that's just supposed to be fun. And I admit, I had fun.

One of the cutest movies I have ever seen!

Author: Adriane Simo (adriane7@mindspring.com) from chandler, az
4 April 1999

Oh what a great movie! Tom Hanks is still a babe today, and Daryl is beautiful as usual! I would love to be a mermaid! A wonderful comedy, romance, and drama in one! Still laugh when I see it-my 8 year old sisters love it as well..

crap

Author: darkneox119 from Munster, Indiana
31 December 2000

This movie sucks. Tom Hanks stars as a loser who after falling off a boat and getting rescued as a child by a mermaid finds her years later.

Tom Hanks is an overrated actor but has put out good performances. the only person who shines in Splash is John Candy. Daryl Hannah was ok as the mermaid. I never got into this movie. It is a waste of time.

* out of ****

ah, mermaids

Author: cousteau
15 September 2000

I swear, if I hadn't seen this movie, I don't know if I would love the ocean as much! I was around 5 when I first saw it, and my sister and I would shove our feet in our pillowcases at night, and flap around like mermaids. I mean, <The Little Mermaid> was cute, but all the infatuation and awe I have for mermaids(they are real, you know) stem from this movie. II'm sure of it.

It's been so long since I've seen it though, and I'm not too keen at pointing out technical flaws, but I can say this. I did feel as though the entire relationship between Allan and Madison was based on the fact that she was naive and needed someone to learn from, and that he needed attention and a long-term relationship. What better and more exotic way than with a voluptuous and beautiful mermaid? =)

This movie is, of course, *incredibly* predictable, but it is still a great romance.

*** THE ONE SCENE I FELT WAS TRULY REMARKABLE**** was at the beginning, when Madison swims down to an abandoned ship to look around, when I believe she finds his wallet. This scene is taken beautifully.

Also, Eugene Levy was cool and funny, providing some excellent slapstick!

-Sep

A Fishy Tale

Author: screenman from United Kingdom
24 September 2008

Well, here's another outing for the tissue-tribe. One of the many utterly talentless casting-couch queens of the 1980's, Daryl Hannah, plays her predictable screen persona as the vulnerable naiveté in a hu-man's world (check-out 'Crazy People'). This movie doesn't contain clichés; it is a cliché.

Strangely popular one-dimensional Tom Hanks plays it straight against various odd-ball individuals including his huckster brother, acted by the continuously upstaging John Candy, with a little pythonesque humour supplied by a female employee who has had a bump on the head and is now in the habit of wearing her clothes out of synch. Then later, he's up against a marine-biologist with a fascist turn, attempting to expose Ms Hannah's fishy secret, of which he - Hanks - is as yet unaware (she's a mermaid, you see).

It would appear that on dry land, her fishy lower-half turns into a human and most excellent pair of pins with the sundry anatomy between -so long as they stay dry. But that if they don't get a regular soaking, they'll remain as legs forever, and she will be forced to stay on land. Or something like that.

Candy can be hilarious in the right scenario - check-out 'Planes,Trains & Automobiles'. Hanks? I can only conclude that he spent some time on a very influential casting-couch as well.

Darly Hannah has the face and figure to have most unemancipated males -or most males, in other words - embarrassed by the scale of their spontaneous erections. She is definitely the stuff of an evolutionary 'trophy' wife. And we get to see a great deal of her meat in this movie.

Then, of course, she gets to do most anything she likes, whether it be wandering about stark naked, going on a buying spree at another's expense, or destroying a shop full of TV sets. She gets to do this because she's 'pretty' and 'vulnerable' and 'naive'. Yawn.

Some people see it as a 'romance'. But I offer this bi-line: Ms Hannah's character - or Madison, as she calls herself - is a mermaid, and therefor not only a different species but also a supposedly dangerous one of ancient folklore. And we learn that she has been stalking Hanks's character like some paedophilic pariah ever since he was a child. Naturally, she has waited until he is adult before taking her pursuit onto dry land, but the implication is self-evident. She uses sex to ensnare him (and a great deal of it, as the dialogue makes clear) in order to subvert him to her way of life. It's a life of immortality but from which he can never, ever escape (though he doesn't yet know it whilst he's submitting to her therapy).

Am I the only one who can see the parallels with 'Dracula' in that resume? I put this to any viewer: would the scenario be quite so 'romantic' if the seducer were male? Because then the parallel with 'Dracula' would be complete.

Only at the last moment, on the dockside, when she has won him over and he has cravenly agreed to join her in her oceanic world, does she spring on him the deadly caveat that there will be no going back; when he joins her, it is for ever.

I suspect that if the gender-tables were turned, any male would be regarded as the most consummate manipulator and fraud under the same circumstances.

However; if paedophilia, bestiality, and betrayal are your idea of the ingredients for a good romance, then keep taking the tissues.

Young, But Not-So-Innocent

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
31 May 2007

In 1999, I was somewhat shocked to discover this was not the sweet, innocent movie I had remembered from watching it on the big screen 15 years earlier. There was a lot more profanity than I had recalled and tons of sexual innuendos. I was sorry to hear John Candy, who I always liked, use the Lord's name in vain so much.

On the good side, the film still moves very fast, meaning the story is very entertaining. It's another shock to look at this now and see how young Tom Hanks looks. Darryl Hannah, meanwhile, looks just beautiful. I'll think she'll always be remembered as a mermaid (among other things, since she apparently still likes to see herself in the news from time to time.)

Splash of its time

Author: ejones1261 from United Kingdom
22 July 2010

Its the 1980's. The representation of the 80's is all there: Tom Hanks doing comedy instead of serious drama. The hair, the clothes, the music. Films like this are a time capsule as they shout they are part of the 1980's period in a way that I don't think any other decade arrogantly declared itself by its display of fashion and peripheries.

Splash is more than a reference guide to recreating the 1908's. Beneath the simple romantic comedy there is a real story of fighting exploitation and treating decent people or mermaids as freaks for wonder and exploitation. Taken out of her environment Daryl Hannah successfully re adjusts until a media circus finds a way of using her to sell products and boost their own fame. A lesson that is still being ignored today and the way Princess Diana was hounded was similar to this.

Send This To The Bottom Of The Sea

Author: cutterccbaxter from minneapolis, minnesota, on the planet Earth
3 December 2006

Plot: Boy meets mermaid. Boy loses mermaid. Boy gets mermaid back. They live happily ever after in the ocean.

This isn't Clint Howard's greatest film. His character is underdeveloped and we never learn what makes him tick and why he showed up at the wedding. He was better as Leon on "The Andy Griffith Show." Tom Hanks is better in other stuff as well as the rest of the cast. The humor seems really forced in most scenes.

Also, I'm not sure mermaids can talk or walk. I've heard they can sing, but there is no mermaid singing in this movie. Maybe someone will turn it into a Broadway musical and then there will be a singing mermaid.

Fish Out of Water

Author: bbethel66 from Buffalo, NY
30 August 2005

Spalsh is a movie of how a man meets a woman who unknown to him is a mermaid. The mermaid-turned human gets the opportunity to meet this man (after a brief encounter as kids), and she has to temporarily adapt to the human life while showing him how much she loves him.

This was the very first movie released from Disney's spin-off movie studio, Touchstone Pictures. They even bragged about it by having Tom Hanks sing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" halfway thru the film. The story was probably what inspired The Little Mermaid several years later (both movies have a superficially identical plot line).

Splash is by no means a great film. It has many parts that are just too awkward for me. But I still consider it a good "B" film, and it was just one film that got Disney thru tough times during the 1980's.

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]