Splash (1984) Poster

One of the most charming and irresistible romantic comedies ever!
TheLittleSongbird17 November 2009
I will admit there have been some romantic comedies I have not liked, and others I have. One thing for certain though, I adore Splash! It is a beautiful, charming and sweet romantic comedy that has quickly become a favourite of mine. For instance the whole film is beautifully shot, with lovely cinematography and stunning underwater sequences. Plus New York looks absolutely gorgeous here.

The music is also delightful. The song in the end credits was so beautiful, I nearly cried. Maybe it was also to do with how it is sung; the vocals were sublime, and never spoiled the mood of the song. The script is funny and touching, more the latter than the former, but who cares? There are still some funny parts of the movie. The direction from Ron Howard was secure and focused throughout.

There were so many charming scenes in Splash! The ending certainly was exactly that, and a bit of a tear jerker as well. Another charming scene that springs to mind was the ice skating scene. Not only how it was filmed, but also the music featured. A perfect choice of music for that particular scene, the Skaters Waltz. I also thought that the movie's length was perfect, and the pacing was just fine.

And I can't write this review without mentioning the performances. Every single person did a superb job. Tom Hanks is charismatic and likable enough and was perfectly cast as Allan Bauer, a successful businessman who falls in love with a beautiful mermaid named Maddison. Speaking of Maddison, didn't Daryl Hannah look gorgeous here? She is a generally ignored actress, and she was positively charming. Eugene Levy plays a sort of bad guy, and he is funny as well as detestable. However, the film's humour comes from the late John Candy who is hilarious as Allan's brother.

All in all, I adore this movie. Out of all the romantic comedies I have seen, this has to be the most charming and possibly irresistible. I have been vocal before about not trying to take IMDb ratings to heart, but 6.2 is too low for this movie. It does deserve a higher rating than that. While not the best movie ever made, it is certainly one of my all time favourite movies for a number of reasons. 10/10 Bethany Cox
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An 80's Love Story CLASSIC! Great Movie!
gpmac20 November 2003
If you grew up in the 80's, you can see why this movie still is a great classic! Great acting from Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah and a story line that can be taken funny as well as seriously. If you didn't see this movie in the 80's you probably won't appreciate it that much. I would rank it with other greats such as Teen Wolf, Heathers, etc. "Behold, the mermaid!"..lol..
30 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A man and his mermaid.
triple816 August 2003
I happen to enjoy romantic comedies and through the years have seen some great ones(Dirty Dancing, Toosie, Pretty Woman to name a few.) But Splash is probably my all time favorite. I saw it in the there shortly after it came out, fell in love with it and through the years have watched it more times then I can remember.

First off, the plot itself is delightful-man falls in love with a mermaid. Then there's the combination of Hanks and Hanna on screen. They happen to be utterly and completely adorable on screen and one of my all time favorite pairings.

The movie itself is an enthralling fairytale. Daryl shines as the ethereal Madison and her scenes with Hanks are as sweet as cotton candy. The characters are all unforgettable and the underwater scenes will put you into a trance, their gloriously stunning. The movie combines romance, wit and charm with an enchanting story and captivating visuals and characters. It's the kind of movie that one knows as their watching it, will someday be a classic.

Splash never gets tiresome no matter how much you see it. The movie is a classic and, though, some people maybe skeptical of a 10 of 10 rating I think it deserves nothing less. If anyone reading this has NOT seen it-your missing one of the best and sweetest romantic comedies ever made.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lovely romantic fish-out-of-water comedy
george.schmidt22 April 2003
SPLASH (1984) **** Tom Hanks, Daryl Hannah, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Shecky Greene. Excellent fantasy comedy directed by Ron Howard about produce salesman Hanks who, unbeknownst to him, falls in love with a mermaid (innocently played nicely by Hannah) in Manhattan and asking the immortal question: Is love blind? Superb support ably handled by Candy as Hanks' would-be swinging bachelor brother and Levy as a mad-as-a-hatter obsessed marine biologist intent on exposing Madison (named after the avenue). Best bits: Hanks' opening soliloquy about him not finding love in a bar and Hannah's gift of love: a water fountain.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Coxer9930 May 1999
Clever man meets mermaid comedy with Hanks fitting the bill as a lonely New York bachelor who falls in love with winsome mermaid Hannah. Candy is also delightful as Hanks' irresponsible brother. The script is very funny and director Howard has a wonderful eye for the sentimental and satiric.
33 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Early Tom Hanks/Ron Howard.
tfrizzell8 June 2002
Over-achieving little film that was directed by Ron Howard and stars Tom Hanks as a young man who finds the woman of his dreams (Daryl Hannah). The only problem: she is really a mermaid. A smart screenplay and some real drama in the film save this project which could have been a disaster, but ends up being a nice piece of entertainment. Eugene Levi and John Candy are appropriately hilarious in supporting turns. 4 stars out of 5.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Movie
astralxromance24 October 2006
I thought this movie was absolutely wonderful. It was so very cute and fairly funny at times! Very different from most movies with the whole mermaid thing. See men dig fish! Remember that! You know what I really enjoyed about it? The fact that you had this nutty guy going around trying to prove she was a mermaid, yet looking completely stupid and insane while doing so.. Oh man he was so funny. I remember growing up watching this movie.I loved it then and still do. It's a classic, a must see. If you haven't seen it already, I suggest you rent it! Enjoy it! Tell me how it goes, but I bet you will love it just as much as I do! ;)
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well-made comedy with a disturbing undertone of pessimism
PayOrPlay15 August 2002
Splash is a really well-made Hollywood fantasy comedy, with early Tom Hanks already developing into the charismatic everyman and Darryl Hannah and John Candy at their best. But under the comedy and sweetness I have always thought there was a disturbing undertone of extreme pessimism--just what kind of ugly and cruel society do we live in, in which the mermaid Madison's only prospect is that she will be tortured, from which Hanks' character ultimately has to flee, never to see his beloved brother again? (The same dark undertone is even more pronounced, I think, in Ron Howard's next big hit Cocoon, where the old folks willingly escape an earth and families that don't seem to offer them anything anymore.)
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Splash!
dracula_2714 June 2005
I used to watch this movie as a kid and occasionally when I was in my teens but I watched it again now (im 24) and I must say its an excellent movie, which also has a very good story line, and one you can relate to if you have been in a relationship where your asking yourself many questions about the person your with and things that do which don't make sense! Not that we are dating mermaids, but it is a movie that has Alan (Tom Hanks) in a very real situation of been in love with someone who he is trying to figure out who she is but she wont give the answers or really open up. Its a movie of great comedy also!! John Candy and Eugene Levy are hilarious!!!! As is Tom Hanks! Some of the one liners and scenes in this movie will have you in stitches!!! This for me is a movie that could have been released today and still do very very well. A great movie which I can watch over and over!
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A "Splash" Of A Romantic Comedy!
mdm-1118 September 2005
Here's a true piece of Hollywood Candy, a sweet as they come! An 8-year old boy falls off of a tour boat at Cape Cod and is saved from drowning by what appears to be a little girl mermaid. The boy never forgets about what happened that day, although everyone insists he was hallucinating.

Years later, now a man (and played by Tom Hanks), another trip to Cape Cod brings dejavu: Hanks falls off of a tour boat and is rescued by an all grown mermaid (played by Daryl Hannah). Could it be the same mermaid that saved him when he was a boy? -- The mermaid has normal legs when kept dry, but once splashed with water, the legs turn into fish fins. Hannah is able to conceal her true identity, until a "bad guy" exposes her. There are complications, but eventually everything comes up roses.

One great scene is where the grown up mermaid spends 6 hours in the electronics department of a store, and learns the English language fluently by watching TV non-stop. Cute! -- This film is very entertaining and helps us feel compassion for anyone who is somehow different from what society considers the norm. The somewhat predictable ending is beautiful! Highly recommended, especially to the hopelessly romantic cinema enthusiasts out there!
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
She Was The Woman Of His Dreams - She Had Large Dark Eyes, A Beautiful Smile And A Great Pair Of Fins.
Jessica Carvalho29 March 2006
Allen Bauer is a responsible guy,the very opposite of his brother Freddie Bauer, who only thinks about women and to spend money. Allen feels lonely sometimes, but he never really fell in love with any women he already have dated or stayed. One day, Allen decides to go to Cape Cod to enjoy the sea, a place where he feels mysteriously good, but he falls into the sea by accident and since he doesn't know how to swim, is saved by a mysterious and beautiful woman,who runs away soon after Allen recovers his conscience. The beautiful woman stayed with Allen's documents, and decides to search him in New York after some days. Once they met, they fall in love and Allen finally do whatever it takes to stay near a woman. The only thing he doesn't know yet, is that the beautiful and mysterious woman named Madison,is part of his childhood and also has a nature different from the human.

Ps: Daryl Hannah is really beautiful in this movie! Tom Hanks as well! ps2:This is the first time I see Eugene Levy in the role of the bad guy.

aka "Splash-Uma sereia em minha vida" - Brazil
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
KIMTA, There IS a Splash 2 !!
Chazzzzz2 November 1999
This film brings out the best of three genres: Fantasy, Romance, and Comedy. Brilliantly done in all regards! The User named Kimta noted that she wishes there was a Splash II, but that it would have to be film completely underwater. Well... there is a Splash 2, but it didn't go in that direction! I wish it had, but they used a different cast and a different idea. It is still worth a look, but not near this film is style and class. This film gets a 10!
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cheap, vulgar comedy
moonspinner557 June 2001
Unlucky-in-love Tom Hanks falls for a beautiful blonde with a secret...she's a mermaid. Hanks is very young and very green in this movie, his voice has no range and he's whiny instead of appealing (and the jokes he's given, such as having "sex on top of the refrigerator", don't work because who wants to picture Hanks in such a situation?). Tom's transformation into a heel at the midway point is another liability (he's so cold to Daryl Hannah's mermaid that it's tough to forgive him even at the end). Witless antics with third-rate humor, leering overtures by John Candy as Hanks' slob brother, leaden pacing and ugly photography. The only saving grace is Hannah, who is enchanting in a role she was born to play. Too bad she's not in a better picture. ** from ****
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Young, But Not-So-Innocent
ccthemovieman-131 May 2007
In 1999, I was somewhat shocked to discover this was not the sweet, innocent movie I had remembered from watching it on the big screen 15 years earlier. There was a lot more profanity than I had recalled and tons of sexual innuendos. I was sorry to hear John Candy, who I always liked, use the Lord's name in vain so much.

On the good side, the film still moves very fast, meaning the story is very entertaining. It's another shock to look at this now and see how young Tom Hanks looks. Darryl Hannah, meanwhile, looks just beautiful. I'll think she'll always be remembered as a mermaid (among other things, since she apparently still likes to see herself in the news from time to time.)
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just OK
preppy-36 February 2004
A mermaid (Daryl Hannah) falls in love with a man (Tom Hanks). According to this movie, when a mermaid's tail completely dries it turns into legs. So, she tracks him down on land. They both immediately fall in love...but he has no idea that she's a mermaid. And a bumbling, evil scientist (Eugene Levy) knows she is and will do anything to prove it...

This was a HUGE hit in 1984--but I fail to see why. It has it's good points--it's beautifully directed by Ron Howard (the underwater sequences are magical). Dody Goodman throws in some truly funny moments as Hanks' scatterbrained secretary. Hannah is unbelievably beautiful and letter perfect as the mermaid--when she's stumbling around nude on dry land (mermaids don't wear clothes) her utter innocence is totally believable and very engaging. It's refreshing that this was given a PG rating despite the frequent glimpses of Hannahs' breasts. Also her getting used to life on land is very sweet. And Hanks (looking like a little kid) is very good and has a few laugh out loud lines in the movie. But that's about it.

I found the movie very slow (this does NOT need to go on for 2 hours); Levy was horribly unfunny as the scientist; John Candy (who could be good in the right role) is also unfunny as Hanks' brother; there are plot loopholes you could drive a truck through; I really didn't find it all that funny (I think I laughed 5 times--that's not good for a 2 hour movie); we have the boringly predictable military as the enemy role and there's an ending I just couldn't buy at all.

The only scenes that really work are with Hannah and Hanks. They have zero chemistry between them but they're both very good in their respective roles. And there are some nice directorial touches by Howard (it's hard to believe this was only his third film).

I can only give this a 5. I was bored most of the time.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sic Transit Gloria Maris.
Robert J. Maxwell2 March 2012
This amusing fantasy about a love affair between an ordinary working New Yorker (Hanks) and a mermaid (Hannah) could have been made a generation ago by Walt Disney except for one marvelous -- and, in my opinion, highly artistic -- scene in which Daryl Hannah emerges from New York harbor wearing a pair of supernally beautiful legs and nothing else. Her naked buns, paragons of sensual grace in themselves, would probably have made old Walt think twice, although any normal man would want to jump on her and squeeze and bite them.

Hanks has met her by accident, literally, and she's everything a guy like Hanks could want. She seeks him out in New York, moves in with him, learns to speak and dress properly, loves him deeply (as only a mermaid can love deeply), and is a sexual dynamo. There is no anatomical difficulty with this since when she's out of the water, Hannah has those legs. It's only IN water, or splashed by it, that her piscatorial particulars reappear. Eugene Levy, as an ill-tempered and egomaniacal ichthyologist, feels there's something fishy about this stunning catch of the day. The movie is funny but Levy brings it to a loopy climax that the kids will love. The ending, though wistful, is basically a happy one. They have both learned what true love is. They have "gotten in touch with their feelings." (I love that phrase.) Ron Howard, the director, would never dream of having the audience leaving the theater without a glow.

Since it's intended to be a fantasy, we can skip the illogic of the plot. Well, not "illogic." Just an absence of logic. She learns to speak English in one afternoon just by watching television. Well, why not? Peter Sellars learned how to live by watching television a few years earlier. Still, one wonders where she learned to kiss so hungrily, fresh from the sea.

At any rate, most of the humor is of the "cute" variety rather than sophisticated and edgy. This is Ron Howard, not Billy Wilder. Hanks asks her name. She tells him in Ichthyese and it shatters every television screen in sight. So they stroll through the streets of the city and try to dream up a plausible English name for her. They reach Madison Avenue. "Madison!" Well, again, why not? Some of the scenes are worthy of chuckles as well as smiles. Taken to a fancy restaurant, she gets a lobster for dinner and eats the whole thing, shell and all, in an incident similar to one in Eugene O'Neill's "Ah, Wilderness."

To truly enjoy this film requires an imagination more deft than the usual at the suspension of disbelief. You should be really good at it.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Go Fish
wes-connors24 June 2010
While boating off Cape Cod, Manhattan fruit and vegetable salesman Tom Hanks (as Alan Bauer) suffers a knock on the head. The mishap leaves him overboard and underwater. Mr. Hanks can't swim, but is saved by mermaid Daryl Hannah (as "Madison"). The two met there briefly, some twenty years earlier, under similar circumstances. After planting the proverbial wet one on Hanks' sandy lips, Ms. Hannah returns to the waves. Hannah has her mermaid tail while in the water; but, she grows long, beautiful legs on land.

Hananh finds Hanks' wallet and goes looking for him in New York City, where she acts like a fish out of water. SCTV funny-men Eugene Levy (as Walter) and John Candy (s Freddie) try to choke some laughs out of their roles, but the comedy herein is dead in the water. The film is inexplicably long and disjointed, with Hannah's charming and sexy performance being the only thing keeping it afloat.

**** Splash (3/9/84) Ron Howard ~ Tom Hanks, Daryl Hannah, John Candy, Eugene Levy
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Big Splash
gcd7023 March 2010
From Tom's latest foray into dramatic excellence (Captain Miller) to his first big smash, er "Splash". There could not be any greater difference between this fishy feature and Mr. Hanks' performance in "Saving Private Ryan". Here Ron Howard, following on from his "Night Shift" success, takes us on a journey of fantasy as Tom's New York fruiterer has his life turned upside down by a real life mermaid.

The idea from Lowell Ganz, Babalo Mandel and Bruce Jay Friedman is as 'fish-out-of-water' as they come. The resulting script is not all that good though. Ron Howard does keep things very jovial, and this, along with Tom Hanks' infectious turn as the love-lorn mermaid admirer, probably makes the pic the reasonable entertainment that it is.

Daryl Hannah is a little wooden in the movie that made her a household name, and John Candy plays Tom's slovenly brother. Eugene Levy plays the obsessed scientist who pursues "Madison" all over New York.

Sunday, December 13, 1998 - T.V.
A Wonderful Film
rchrdshelt13 August 2005
I saw this for the first time on TV when I was 11 and absolutely loved it. Since then I've always tried to catch it every time its been on TV over the past few years, and unsurprisingly it is quite often thanks to it being a wonderfully moving, feel good film that features superb performances from a talented cast along with a terrific script and Ron Howard's splendid Direction. So I ended up seeing it for the first time in over a year today and it was just as refreshing and joyful as it was for me before.

Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah are brilliant in the leads and have a lovely chemistry together that really makes the film work so well and must be one of the best if not THE best chemistry i've ever seen in a romantic comedy. However, another large factor that makes it work is the comedic elements that are played to perfection by John Candy and Eugene Levy, although Hanks and Hannah get several as well. Candy especially has some moments that had me laughing for ages and I won't spoil them for you. But, more importantly it doesn't try to be a straight comedy because it isun't meant to be and the script and Howard know this. So, while the film does include several hilarious moments, they don't allow it to upstage the heart of the story which is the loving relationship between the two leads and do allow for some wonderfully sentimental moments between Hanks and Hannah throughout.

Without spoiling too much let me just say that the film's ending really is the icing on the cake as far as the whole film is concerned and as the credits roll you are guaranteed to have a smile on your face. I certainly did and did for most of the film as a matter a fact. It really is great and I really did love the film that much. I hope it goes on to become a classic and judging by other comments I've read on here I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Absolutely wonderful 10/10
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ah, memories of another mermaid film...
Blueghost27 July 2005
I never saw "Splash" in the theatre, but I remember some of the media hype prior to the release of the film. And specifically I remember the much talked about production of another film staring Bo Derek and Warren Beatty. And therein lies a small fish tale.

I was working at a bookstore in a local mall prior to "Splash's" release. I was behind one of the cash registers when two men (one bald, or so I recalled, the other wearing a beret), standing above five feet, both wearing long black trench coats, and both speaking Italian (or possibly Greek), came into the store. They wanted books on mermaids, and said it was for Bo Derek's new film.

Being a shopping mall bookstore, and a small one at that, we didn't have a whole lot on mermaids. But I remember pointing them to the small mythology section, and hearing some rustling and mumbling in Italian. They came back, reminded us that it was for "Bo Derek's new film..." to which we (myself and one other employee) shrugged, and guided them to another section (children's fiction, I think). Dismayed they complained to us that there was nothing there, to which we told them that we must not have anything, and that they might want to check the library.

They left, and argued with one another out in front of the store. My coworker laughed, commenting "They know Bo Derek? Ya right!" I shrugged, and replied "You never know." Reflecting back on that episode I know understand that these were either the art directors or conceptual artists for the "other" mermaid film that was to be the basis for the mermaid-film-market that summer. Only Ron Howard was able to get his project off and completed before my two Italian patrons could get the green-light for their film.

I can't imagine what the other film would've been like. It probably would've been long, sappy, mildly amusing, and probably painted over with John Derek's supposedly "erotic" cinematography of his then wife.

I'm glad "Splash" came out, and was as funny as it was, and as big a hit as it was. Sometimes films don't need a market competitor, and deserve to monopolize the playing field. Not always, but sometimes they do. "Splash" could've fallen into the Mariana's trench of summer B-movies, but Howard and company had the right intuition to make the film smart, and not to put a nail in Davy Jones's locker by making "Madison" some mindless love interest.

I can imagine Bo's movie would've had her roaming naked on the screen for about a third of the film, and probably would've packed the theatres with older teenage boys and frat-rats. I guess there's a place for that sort of thing. Even so I'm glad "Splash" was the film that made the charts instead of that other one.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A beautiful movie I could go on and on about
katrina stubbs18 June 2005
This is such a beautiful movie. I could go on and on about how good it is but I don;t want to bore anyone.

"Splash" is the story of a love between a new york Bachelor and a mermaid he meets in Cape Cod. She saves him from drowning and eventually meets up with him in the big apple. He doesn't know she is a mermaid so basically the rest of the movie is about her trying to conceal the fact that she is not human,while they are in the meantime falling in love. Tom Hanks, Daryl Hannah, Eugene Levy and John Candy give fantastic performances and the New York images are just breathtaking:)

ah, mermaids
renaldo and clara15 September 2000
I swear, if I hadn't seen this movie, I don't know if I would love the ocean as much! I was around 5 when I first saw it, and my sister and I would shove our feet in our pillowcases at night, and flap around like mermaids. I mean, <The Little Mermaid> was cute, but all the infatuation and awe I have for mermaids(they are real, you know) stem from this movie. II'm sure of it.

It's been so long since I've seen it though, and I'm not too keen at pointing out technical flaws, but I can say this. I did feel as though the entire relationship between Allan and Madison was based on the fact that she was naive and needed someone to learn from, and that he needed attention and a long-term relationship. What better and more exotic way than with a voluptuous and beautiful mermaid? =)

This movie is, of course, *incredibly* predictable, but it is still a great romance.

*** THE ONE SCENE I FELT WAS TRULY REMARKABLE**** was at the beginning, when Madison swims down to an abandoned ship to look around, when I believe she finds his wallet. This scene is taken beautifully.

Also, Eugene Levy was cool and funny, providing some excellent slapstick!

4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Fishy Tale
screenman24 September 2008
Well, here's another outing for the tissue-tribe. One of the many utterly talentless casting-couch queens of the 1980's, Daryl Hannah, plays her predictable screen persona as the vulnerable naiveté in a hu-man's world (check-out 'Crazy People'). This movie doesn't contain clichés; it is a cliché.

Strangely popular one-dimensional Tom Hanks plays it straight against various odd-ball individuals including his huckster brother, acted by the continuously upstaging John Candy, with a little pythonesque humour supplied by a female employee who has had a bump on the head and is now in the habit of wearing her clothes out of synch. Then later, he's up against a marine-biologist with a fascist turn, attempting to expose Ms Hannah's fishy secret, of which he - Hanks - is as yet unaware (she's a mermaid, you see).

It would appear that on dry land, her fishy lower-half turns into a human and most excellent pair of pins with the sundry anatomy between -so long as they stay dry. But that if they don't get a regular soaking, they'll remain as legs forever, and she will be forced to stay on land. Or something like that.

Candy can be hilarious in the right scenario - check-out 'Planes,Trains & Automobiles'. Hanks? I can only conclude that he spent some time on a very influential casting-couch as well.

Darly Hannah has the face and figure to have most unemancipated males -or most males, in other words - embarrassed by the scale of their spontaneous erections. She is definitely the stuff of an evolutionary 'trophy' wife. And we get to see a great deal of her meat in this movie.

Then, of course, she gets to do most anything she likes, whether it be wandering about stark naked, going on a buying spree at another's expense, or destroying a shop full of TV sets. She gets to do this because she's 'pretty' and 'vulnerable' and 'naive'. Yawn.

Some people see it as a 'romance'. But I offer this bi-line: Ms Hannah's character - or Madison, as she calls herself - is a mermaid, and therefor not only a different species but also a supposedly dangerous one of ancient folklore. And we learn that she has been stalking Hanks's character like some paedophilic pariah ever since he was a child. Naturally, she has waited until he is adult before taking her pursuit onto dry land, but the implication is self-evident. She uses sex to ensnare him (and a great deal of it, as the dialogue makes clear) in order to subvert him to her way of life. It's a life of immortality but from which he can never, ever escape (though he doesn't yet know it whilst he's submitting to her therapy).

Am I the only one who can see the parallels with 'Dracula' in that resume? I put this to any viewer: would the scenario be quite so 'romantic' if the seducer were male? Because then the parallel with 'Dracula' would be complete.

Only at the last moment, on the dockside, when she has won him over and he has cravenly agreed to join her in her oceanic world, does she spring on him the deadly caveat that there will be no going back; when he joins her, it is for ever.

I suspect that if the gender-tables were turned, any male would be regarded as the most consummate manipulator and fraud under the same circumstances.

However; if paedophilia, bestiality, and betrayal are your idea of the ingredients for a good romance, then keep taking the tissues.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nostalgia at its best - A Truly moving an beautiful film
sinnerofcinema28 January 2009
Every time I see this movie, It stirs something in me. It moves me and it takes me back to a time when things where simple and a good story could be told without the bells and whistles and still move you years after. This fairy tale is one of those films that no sequels can conquer. It invokes a nostalgia that will make you regress back to your childhood. If you were a kid like I was when this film first came out. I saw it many times. Now I ownd the soudtrack (record cause up to today I have not found the CD soundtrack to this film) and the DVD with all the great behind the scenes footage. Tom Hanks has star quality acting here and the chemistry that Daryl and Tom have are blown out of the water! A really truly wonderful film!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thank you Ron Howard and the others.
ali-mostaque8 December 2008
I have of course watched this movie several times. I don't get tired of the jokes, the satire and general comedy. It always seems so fresh to me.

It is a light romantic comedy, with a young Tom Hanks, lonely, going through life with mismatched relationships, until by chance he meets a mermaid.........and then the film progresses from there.

The acting by the leading characters seems so natural; they are not trying too hard to be slapstick funny, but through the great dialog, direction and timing, they make it a thoroughly enjoyable film to watch. But for the nudity, I am sure this would be enjoyed by all ages, and background.

There are some ironic parts, since the movie was made over two decades ago. The speech by the tour guide about the statue of Liberty, and a few other indications in that direction. That Gritty hard commercialized New York could have another side to it.

In one sense what is funny is a highly personal issue. For me anyway mermaids and the beauty of Daryl Hannah has special significance. The very first girl I fell in love with looked vaguely like her, back 22 years ago.

The message about love and relationships is eternal, and it was done in a very enjoyable way.

So thank you again Ron Howard and ALL the others.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this