IMDb > Sixteen Candles (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sixteen Candles

Sixteen Candles More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

"They F##king forgot my birthday!!!"...

Author: Donald J. Lamb from Philadelphia, PA
29 March 1999

These are the immortal words spoken by SIXTEEN CANDLES heroine Samantha Baker (Molly Ringwald) in the ultimate 80's teen comedy. This movie has become a classic to those born in the 70's, like myself, and I now consider it a "guilty pleasure". Its a movie we all grew up with. Didn't we all know a person like 'Farmer Ted', or a hot queenie like the blonde he hilariously gets. It was every young freshman's fantasy. This funny flick is also a relic of the 80's that is not all that dated.

The jokes still work (as long as you see it uncut) and it is neat seeing things of the not so distant past be on display. Floppy disks, headgears, leotards, etc... Time has not been so good to the featured stars. Ringwald and Anthony-Michael Hall, who was born to play this role, and this one only, have all but disappeared. The biggest stars now are blips on the screen here: Joan (in a headgear) and John (a geek) Cusack. The film is like a toy you can't put away.

Some situations are beat, but at least Paul Dooley adds an extra dimension to the father. Too many of John Hughes' teen-angst comedies of the era feature tissue-thin parental figures. This was the first and best of the so-called "brat pack" movies, and will always hold a place in 1980's filmmaking history. Girls learned never to lend their underwear to a geek and we all learned that high school is just a phase, easily forgotten as time goes on.

30 years ago...

Author: ptb-8 from Australia
28 March 2004

I am shocked to realise this hilarious film is now 30 years old! Films from 1964 seen in 1988 looked a zillion years apart.....how can a 1980s film like this one still be so new and play so fresh in 2014? ...Apart from it being funnier and truly inspired I really now appreciate more the legacy of John Hughes in his series of films that were released in that 5 year span 1984-89. Anthony Michael Hall is rightly celebrated and gorgeous Molly Ringwald deserves her fame in the teen hall of Stardom. Whatever happened to Michael Schoeffling (Jake)....anyone know? It seems incongruous that so many future stars got their start in this film yet he seemed to go nowhere. I am also very surprised it got a PG rating.......given the swearing and the nudity..but I guess in the spirit of it all it was a perfect pic for anyone 12 - 112. Very clever and very funny.

The eighties were great weren't they

Author: Meredith-7 from Melbourne, Australia
12 July 1999

Films like Sixteen Candles personify what the eighties was all about. And if you were a child of the 80s, you will probably identify with this film a lot more than the now younger generation. The story is simple enough, but it works so well. Molly Ringwald is particularly likeable in this, and she is almost irreplaceable in her part. There are heaps of familiar faces, including small parts from many of the present day 'movie stars' ie John Cusack, Joan Cusack and Jami Gertz. It's kind of daggy though, and when you tell people you watched it their response is usually "Oh My God. That is so OLD." But that's what I like about it. If you want to watch a film that reflects the eighties, forget the nostalgia trips of The Wedding Singer and Romy and Michelle. Hire a true eighties product, such as Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, St Elmo's Fire.... The list goes on and on.

You own a church?

Author: Boyo-2
10 April 2000

This movie is one of the most quotable I've ever seen. Everyone who has ever seen it knows this is true. Along with "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "The Breakfast Club", this is the best of the John Hughes 1980's movies. The acting is perfection, down to the smallest parts, too. Standouts are Blanche Baker as the bride-to-be on too many painkillers, Justin Henry as the pain-in-the-neck little brother, Michael Schoeffling as hunk-deluxe Jake Ryan and last but never least, Anthony Michael Hall as Farmer Fred....I mean Ted.

A difficult kiss.

Author: TOMASBBloodhound from Omaha, NE USA
26 February 2006

The final shot of this film can in some ways mirror the difficulties of adolescence. We see Molly Ringwald finally getting to kiss the boy she's been after since the film's outset. However this kiss doesn't look like it would have been particularly easy for the actors to pull off. Both Ringwald and Shoeffling are sitting "Indian-style" on a tabletop facing one another. They both have to lean forward presumably using their wrists for leverage while their lips meet over the flaming candles on her birthday cake. A difficult kiss, indeed.

Sixteen Candles is one of the best films John Hughes gave us in the 1980s. The young cast full of so many extraordinary talents gives us one memorable scene after another. Anthony Michael Hall is particularly effective as the leader of the nerdiest students on campus. Listen to his voice crack as he reads many of his lines, and try not to laugh. Good luck! The plot, as many of us know, centers around a young girl (Ringwald) whose parents forget about her sixteenth birthday in the midst of the chaos surrounding her older sister's wedding. At the same time she tries to win the affection of the most popular guy in school who happens to be dating the most beautiful girl in school. Ah, the trials and tribulations of high school.

The film is well-paced, never drags, and has its characters pegged pretty well. The obnoxious grandparents are particularly well-drawn. Of course things are eventually resolved in a manner that could never possibly happen in real life, but that's why we go to the movies.

I miss those destructive house parties!!! 9 of 10 stars.

The Hound.

an 80's classic!!!

Author: Jeff Colvin (tweetter22@aol.com) from Baton Rouge, La.
12 January 2000

This John Hughes film is one of the best romantic teen comedies in history. Starring 2 of the Brat Packers, Molly Ringwald, playing the lovesick Samantha, and Anthony Michael Hall who plays "The Geek", he pratically stole the entire movie with his one-liners. His friends were the best, it's funny to see John Cusack as one of his geeky friends, and I just noticed Joan Cusack makes a small appearance in this as the girl with the neck brace on. That's funny. I recommend this classic to anyone who likes romantic teen comedies. Oh and whoever said that "Sixteen Candles" was perverted, all i have to say is WHAT? What is perverted about this movie, American Pie was perverted, this movie is a classic. There was ONE scene of nudity and it lasted about 3 seconds. I give "Sixteen Candles" 10 out of 10!!!!

Now we're both on the pill!

Author: smakawhat from Washington, DC
15 May 2001

I had to write about this film after seeing the last 10 minutes of it on TV last night. I didn't miss much after all cause I had seen the film countless times when I was younger. Man I remember how much I enjoyed it. This has to be the most 80's character driven film about high school I have ever seen. It is just plain out stupid funny and heartwarming.

While Breakfast Club tries to handle the seriousness of social peers, and Ferris Beuller just solidifies the ultimate 80's experience with some great performances and total hip coolness, Sixteen Candles is just a crazy fun romp through the perils of being a teenager.

Ringwald is at her prime as the overburdened teenager, and Michael Hall is at his greatest as the ultimate schemer-geek. The party aftermath always cracks me up everytime I see it, plus so many more things.

Also, there's a scene where the geek gets unloaded out of the trunk of a car, and i SWEAR it's not a human person but a dummy cause the guy does not move but stands like a broomstick.. It's just one of those bizarre movie qwerks I wish someone could explain to me. And who can forget those alligator shirts.... I laugh now at the way everyone and the bands look in these 80's movies.

Alas it seems, Hall and Ringwald got stuck in stereotyped roles that they never seemed to shed or outgrew them as they became adults, which is to bad cause Ringwald, and particularly Hall's comedic sense of timing in this film is just amazing.

Rating 8 out of 10.

Takes the Cake

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
23 October 2003

Spoilers herein.

Most films are about other films, and few invent new stuff in the film world. So when something new comes around, it is remarkable. The big deal with this film is that it DOES add something to the cinematic vocabulary that wasn't there before.

It references the movies we invent and carry in our minds from high school. `Fast Times at Ridgemont High' was the originator of this idea, but the manner used there never caught on (unless you could Kevin Smith). Here, the idea is to be fantastic, so amazingly so that we agree with the direction of the fantasy. It is precisely the direction we were already going with the exaggerations we play with in our own memories.

A house is not just trashed by a party, it is decimated and defiled. A foreign student isn't just out of touch, he is from outer space and this Earth just gobbles him up. All this frantic fantasy wouldn't work without an emotional anchor. The `rule of twos' says that you need a girl and a boy, here Molly and Hall. These are characters who live in that chaotic mess and who you can see knowing it and devising strategies to get by.

Michael Hall is terrific, but Molly Ringwald interests me more. Nowadays, a director would find a 20's something actress to play a teenager (like dePalma had with `Carrie'). Molly was actually younger than her character but understands the notion of trying to find a lighted path in a funhouse.

She is only asked to do one thing here. Her subsequent career shows she is limited as an actress to this one thing, but she does it so extraordinarily well, it anchors the fantasy. We relate to her and use her a springboard for our own remembrances. No shrinking redhead can appear in film now without referencing her in some way. (I'm thinking directly of Lauren Ambrose here.)

It is a touch of genius. This is her best work, and that of Hughes as well. It added something, something that stuck. Now, many movies are about this one.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.

my opinion of it....

Author: beeble_bee from Australia
14 April 2005

movies in the 80's were really cool, nice story lines, very real people and cute guys too! 80's movies were so musical, full of dance and laughter, really good acting and good use of props. I wish movies were like the old classic movies, movies nowadays are somewhat a rip off, i'm not saying all but most movies made in this era are all computerized, there's so much plastic surgery happening, drastic diets, if you look back at the old movies, the ladies are really beautiful naturally, nice hair, and the spark in those eyes, men were romantic. I watched Sixteen Candles for the first time, and i enjoyed it. I liked Pretty in Pink better though. Sixteen candles is a really funny yet in a sweet romantic sort of way....the geeks and the Duck guy, hilarious! i enjoy watching classic movies, eg. dirty dancing, ghost, gremlin, pretty in pink, ghost busters.... I wouldn't recommend this movie to kids 14+, especially if you don't like watching classic movies. But to those out there who were teens in the 80s, this might bring back your high school memories. Truly hilarious, you can predict the ending, the geeks took the spotlight for me

The Only Teen Comedy That Matters

Author: evanston_dad from United States
11 April 2008

The teen comedy to which every teen comedy made for the rest of eternity will be compared.

"Sixteen Candles" is one of those movies that has entered the vocabulary of Gen-Xers everywhere. All you have to do is say a line like: "Oh look, Frank, she's got her boobies"; or "Thanks for lending me the Donger here, he's totally bitchin'"; or "What's happening', hot stuff?", to anyone between the ages of 30 and 40, and I guarantee they'll know what you're talking about.

Molly Ringwald raised teen surliness to Shakespearean heights; Anthony Michael Hall channeled hormonal distress; and Joan Cusack brought acceptance to head-gear wearers everywhere, proving that kids with bad teeth are humans too.

Grade: A+